25 replies to this topic
nWo51289
  • nWo51289

Outcast

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:55 AM

user posted image

Here's a tutorial requested by a user explaining how to create and apply Normal Maps to a pedestrian of you're choice. In order to achieve this you'll need to get Ryosuke839's excellent 'Normal Map' plugin. Below shows the difference between a ped without normal maps, compared to the same ped with normal maps.

user posted image

The following software are required to successfully achieve this:

TXD Workshop - Link
Adobe Photoshop (There are other software like 'CrazyBump' and 'Shader Map Pro' that can be used but you'll need to purchase these to get the full version)
Nvidia's DDS Plugin for Photoshop) - Link
Ryosuke839's Normal Map Plugin - Link Mirror Link (Also includes Source Code)

Reminder - I'll be using Photoshop for this tutorial

#1 - Open up TXD Workshop, click on 'Open TXD' and search for the TXD file of the ped you want to create normal maps for. Once you open up the ped, click on 'Export' and click 'Export all textures to xxx images'. (xxx denotes whatever format you're happy exporting to, doesn't matter which one you choose, for this tutorial I'll export to PNG)

user posted image

#2 - Once you have you're textures exported, open up Photoshop. For this tutorial I'll create a normal map for the face of the ped, so import whatever texture you want to start with into Photoshop. The first thing after importing the texture is to convert the image to black and white, a normal map can only be created when the image is black and white. So in photoshop go to 'Image', 'Adjustments' and then click on 'Black & White' (or ALT+SHIFT+CTRL+B).

user posted image

Once you click on 'Black & White', a window will pop up to adjust how dark or light you want each individual color to be, adjusting these can give you more detail in the final step, but I'm going to skip this. Alternatively after converting the image to Black & White you can adjust the image by changing the 'Brightness and Contrast'.

user posted image

#3 - Now we'll need to export this image to a dds file, this is where the DDS Plugin is required. Once you're done go to 'File', 'Save As', click on the 'Format' box and select 'D3D/DDS'.

user posted image

Once you click on 'save', a window will pop up with a few options. First make sure you've selected '8.8.8 RGB 24 bpp | unsigned' option in the top left box, and also select '2D Texture' in the smaller box below. Again there are a few options to tinker around with the image before exporting, but again I'm not gonna go through all of them. You can fiddle around with individual options and click on the '2D Preview' button to see how you're Normal Map is going to look like once exported.

user posted image

Once done, click on 'save'. Now as TXD Workshop doesn't know what a dds file is, we'll need to import that dds file we just exported and save it as in my case 'PNG' format (You can choose BMP or TGA, whatever you prefer). So import the dds file into photoshop, a window will pop up asking how to import the dds, make sure the 'Load Using Default S...' is selected and click on 'OK'.

Now go to 'File', 'Save As', in my case I'll select PNG format and then rename you're texture as 'xxx_nrm' (xxx denotes name of original texture, so I'll rename my texture as 'face_nrm'). Once that is done click 'save'.

user posted image

#4 - Now we'll need to import the normal map into the txd of the ped, giving it the right name so that the normal map plugin will work as it's suppose to do.

Go back to TXD Workshop with the txd of the ped open, and click on 'Image', 'New' and select '32BPP'. Scroll down to the bottom of the list of textures and select the new empty texture, now click on 'Import'. Look for the normal map texture that you just created in Photoshop and click 'Open'.

user posted image

Firstly while the normal map texture is still highlighted, click on the green up button until the normal map is right below the original texture (in my case 'face').

user posted image

Now we'll need to change some properties for this texture, so still highlighting the texture, click on 'Properties'. In the first box, the texture has to be named as 'xxx_nrm4.0' (xxx denotes the name of the texture, so mine is called 'face_nrm1.0'. In the samples provided by Ryosuke839, you can choose between putting a 1.0 at the end, or 2.0, 4.0, 8.0 & a 16.0. Not sure what the differences between these values are but I'm guessing the higher the value, the stronger the normal map effect is. If anyone can share some information on these values, it will be much appreciated.

Next make sure the 'Alpha is used' option is selected and also make sure it's named 'xxx_nrm1.0a' (in my case it's 'face_nrm1.0a') and if you want you can compress the texture. (Will be a good idea as after doing this TXD files can get quite large, one case even when compressing all the textures, my TXD file went up to 8MB)

user posted image

Once you've done this for all the textures, save the TXD file and test it out. This is what I got when I did these steps on this ped.

user posted image user posted image

Another ped after doing these steps

user posted image user posted image

Hope this tutorial is good enough and will help you out. Any questions or errors in this tutorial please leave a comment. Have fun!

Heron911
  • Heron911

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

hmmmm....i thinkthis will be a good fro my mod GTA SA IV...but can you heelp me....

for example...i have a road from IV and i put that IV Road textures against SA roads...and what to do to see roads like that....will i put that Colored textures by CS into TXD and that all..or what to do...did I must use 3DSMax or Zmodler to put on object that texture!

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Feroci Racing
  • Philippines

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

Seems useful enough, especially since I'd like to add moar detail to my peds for SA.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

Nice tutorial. But ofcourse the best way to get normals is by doing a high poly version of your model, and baking a normal map into a texure.

BrotherCena
  • BrotherCena

SilentViper94

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

How can activate it? confused.gif

yo5pev
  • yo5pev

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:18 PM

Sorry for the bump. BTW this is a useful tutorial but i have a question, can this normal map be applied to anything else except peds, like roads, buildings, trees and other stuff ? Also can anyone reupload the Ryosuke839's Normal Map plugin? I can't seem to be able to download, it it is giving me a 404 error and google is either directing me to the same dead link or to this tutorial here on GTAForums.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:36 PM

If you check his screenshot, it looks like he has normals on the ground and walls.
If I remember correctly, yes you can.

tatui
  • tatui

Tatui@tret

• Members

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

Nice tutorial share Ryosuke839's Normal Map Plugin

nWo51289
  • nWo51289

Outcast

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

@yo5pev - Yes you can, but not with this plugin. You can achieve that using DexX's SA GFX plugin. Or use ENB Series but that only calculates from a texture to achieve a bump map effect, which isn't accurate.
@tatui - It's been updated with a mirror download. Also includes the source code for coding geeks!

jaspertrailor
  • jaspertrailor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:07 AM

I like the sun address most in all the part of vice city and It is a very good information about map and direction Sun address. Thanks a lot for sharing it. It will useful to me to easily solve the sun address.

Darecki
  • Darecki

a.k.a LinkinDark

• Members

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

what do you mean?

wapeddell
  • wapeddell

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:22 AM

Can you make one for GTA IV because no one has figured out how to get them to work in GTA IV

Marty McFly
  • Marty McFly

A Elbereth Gilthoniel

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

GTA IV has already normal maps not just on peds but on all textures omg

Leonharts_E
  • Leonharts_E

break freee !!!

• Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

nice tutorial dude............ biggrin.gif

CurtisWS
  • CurtisWS

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

I've been waiting for this for a looooooong time. Thank you so much for this tutorial! zbrushzbrushzbrush

Waltzing Mouse
  • Waltzing Mouse

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

I'm using Photoshop CS3 Extended and I have this version of the DDS tool, but when I export the black and white image to the DDS file it is still b&w and not in the funky purple colour of most normal maps?

W-Law
  • W-Law

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

Works for SAMP?

Ivars
  • Ivars

HiiiPoWeR

• Members
  • Latvia

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (W-Law @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 17:40)
Works for SAMP?

Yes it does, tested by myself.

Convetors
  • Convetors

Suddently its Me !

• Members

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

Great TuTo I See that im Late .But will it Work on Cj or in Niko bellic ?? or any player replacement that I made ??

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE (Convetors @ Sunday, Jun 17 2012, 16:43)
Great TuTo I See that im Late .But will it Work on Cj or in Niko bellic ?? or any player replacement that I made ??

Why not?

Convetors
  • Convetors

Suddently its Me !

• Members

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Monday, Jun 18 2012, 08:03)
QUOTE (Convetors @ Sunday, Jun 17 2012, 16:43)
Great TuTo I See that im Late .But will it Work on Cj  or in Niko bellic ?? or any  player replacement that I made ??

Why not?

Becaus as My Knowledge using 2 textures in Cj Cloths will make the Model to not show up . but it will Load without any crash or Bug . some Kind of GTA Sa engine maybe . im not sure i D like to here som other opinions about this smile.gif

Convetors
  • Convetors

Suddently its Me !

• Members

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:47 PM

Guys it Wont work on objects or anything else Only peds even the main character won t work on it. So this Normal Map for ped only smile.gif . i Wish i can see This normal map in other thing maybe on the Water biggrin.gif

TheGTAGuy3746
  • TheGTAGuy3746

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Is There A PhotoShop NM Plugin, But For ATI/AMD, Or Will The Nvidia Plugin Also Work?

Blackheart69
  • Blackheart69

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

Sorry for bumping old topic. blush.gif But I've been trying Ryosuke839's Normal Map Plugin but i noticed no difference at all. confused.gif Meanwhile I created a normal map for white vest that CJ wears during the start of the game using "njob" ,a free tool to create normal maps etc.Here's how it looks in TXDworkshop... user posted image
But instead of getting desired effect(enhanced lightning and depth on surface) I get this... user posted image
Please can anybody suggest where I'm wrong .Sorry for horrendous English.BTW I've been using a mod that has normal mapped peds and it has no problem(but I still notice no difference).
Any suggestions regarding Normal Mapping in GTA San Andreas is highly welcome.
P.S. I DO NOT use ENB mods.

futureAllrounder
  • futureAllrounder

Stay cool!

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (Blackheart69 @ Tuesday, Jun 11 2013, 13:40)
Sorry for bumping old topic.  blush.gif   But I've been trying Ryosuke839's Normal Map Plugin but i noticed no difference at all.  confused.gif   Meanwhile I created a normal map for white vest that CJ wears during the start of the game using "njob" ,a free tool to create normal maps etc.Here's how it looks in TXDworkshop...  user posted image 
But instead of getting desired effect(enhanced lightning and depth on surface) I get this...  user posted image   
Please can anybody suggest where I'm wrong .Sorry for horrendous English.BTW I've been using a mod that has normal mapped peds and it has no problem(but I still notice no difference).
Any suggestions regarding Normal Mapping in GTA San Andreas is highly welcome.
P.S. I DO NOT use ENB mods.

Just read the post above. It doesn't work on CJ and any of his clothes.. at least not the way as it is described here.

Khapiz64
  • Khapiz64

Player Hater

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 5 days ago

[ASK]

how to fixit :3 ?

http://gtaforums.com...entry1066100019

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users