Photo

What's in the briefcase?

15 replies to this topic
Slingaa
  • Slingaa

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken.

• Members

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

I didn't want to bump a four year old topic, so yeah. I just got around to watching Pulp Fiction, but one thing is really bugging me. What's in the f*cking case?

I've seen a lot of theories, from gold to Marsellus Wallace's soul, but what do you think?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

A MacGuffin.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Monday, Aug 22 2011, 21:54)
A MacGuffin.

Pretty much:
MacGuffin:
QUOTE (TVTropes)
MacGuffin (a.k.a. McGuffin or maguffin) is a term for a motivating element in a story that is used to drive the plot. It actually serves no further purpose. It won't pop up again later, it won't explain the ending, it won't actually do anything except possibly distract you while you try to figure out its significance. In some cases, it won't even be shown. It is usually a mysterious package/artifact/superweapon that everyone in the story is chasing.

QUOTE (Examples)
Pulp Fiction's suitcase, perhaps the biggest go-to example of recent times. The mysterious glowing contents are an homage to the 1955 movie Kiss Me Deadly, whose suitcase originally housed a superweapon — a nuclear device. Fans speculated that its Pulp Fiction counterpart held Marcellus' soul. Tarantino called a MacGuffin a MacGuffin, and has made it very clear that he neither knows nor cares what was in the case.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:24 AM

I only watched it once, sometimes it's not what's in the case that counts, like RONIN, if you recall, There's two endings for the movie and nothing completely satisfies the viewer, but it's art, ya gotta luv it!

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:35 AM

Batteries and a light bulb. wink.gif

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Permanent headache.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE (papanesta @ Monday, Aug 22 2011, 21:35)
Batteries and a light bulb. wink.gif

I don't think even Tarantino could argue with that answer.

ChossenOne
  • ChossenOne

Ditched!

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:38 AM Edited by ChossenOne, 23 August 2011 - 04:45 AM.

Whatever you want it to be. Use your imagination.

I always imagined some drugs, gold and a Royale with cheese.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Administrator
  • Nicaragua
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013
    Best OGA Member 2014

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

I've heard a lot of bullsh*t theories, including Marcellus Wallace's soul, and somehow tied in the idea that Eric Stotz's character was specifically made to look like Jesus.

SaintJimmy
  • SaintJimmy

On a drug called Martin Sheen

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Tuesday, Aug 23 2011, 21:51)
I've heard a lot of bullsh*t theories, including Marcellus Wallace's soul, and somehow tied in the idea that Eric Stotz's character was specifically made to look like Jesus.

It also tied in to the whole revolver emptying on Travolta and Jackson and not even touching them. I kind of liked the theory to be honest.
Some people think it was the diamonds from Reservoir Dogs.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:45 PM Edited by Slamman, 24 August 2011 - 07:49 PM.

I didn't see that movie as being Science Fiction, so none of that odd stuff makes sense to me....

Maybe Repo Man is stuck in your minds?

Lithium
  • Lithium

Deathdealer

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (SaintJimmy @ Wednesday, Aug 24 2011, 02:18)

It also tied in to the whole revolver emptying on Travolta and Jackson and not even touching them. I kind of liked the theory to be honest.

I've heard the theory about the diamonds, and that's what I'd like to believe.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Administrator
  • Nicaragua
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013
    Best OGA Member 2014

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (SaintJimmy @ Wednesday, Aug 24 2011, 01:18)

Yeah, there are some other biblical references in the movie as well; Julius reciting Ezekiel 25:17, then eventually explaining it to Honey Bunny, the gay rape with Zed, etc.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:28 PM

The movie is filled with symbolism. Not just Biblical. You can interpret the entire movie however the f*ck you want. That's what makes it so great.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

It's why I dearly love Commentary tracks (thanks go to Voyager - Criterion for that idea) and directors along with historians and crew can comment on the film they made, AS YOU WATCH IT, I plan to see that one again. The Usual Suspects garnered a lot of talk from film lovers as well, and I felt I'm going to have to watch the film without interruption and pay close attention! haha It'll hopefully motivate repeat viewings

linkinghabit
  • linkinghabit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (ChossenOne @ Tuesday, Aug 23 2011, 04:38)
Whatever you want it to be. Use your imagination.

I always imagined some drugs, gold and a Royale with cheese.

i wasn't able to finish the movie...think have to find a copy so i can watch it full..

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Friday, Aug 26 2011, 23:17)
It's why I dearly love Commentary tracks (thanks go to Voyager - Criterion for that idea) and directors along with historians and crew can comment on the film they made, AS YOU WATCH IT, I plan to see that one again. The Usual Suspects garnered a lot of talk from film lovers as well, and I felt I'm going to have to watch the film without interruption and pay close attention! haha It'll hopefully motivate repeat viewings

Sea cucumbers are echinoderms from the class Holothuroidea. They are marine animals with a leathery skin and an elongated body containing a single, branched gonad. Sea cucumbers are found on the sea floor worldwide. Ha ha, that has nothing to do with the topic but for some reason I thought I should post it because I'm clueless!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users