1,162 replies to this topic
Claude4Catalina
  • Claude4Catalina

Carcer City bound!

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

@Tyla

it's just an idea I'd been bouncing back and forth with myself; I'd like to see reasons behind Clinton's attitude, to sort of justify it, we see militant blacks in Vietnam War media frequently (Junior from Platoon, Philly Dog from Dale Dye's Citadel) but where do these characters end up once they get to Clinton's age. I dunno if I'm honest, if I do go through with this it's going to need some planning behind it; unlike Dealing and Stealing, I wrote that pretty much on the fly haha!

@Jacky

good shout on the British-born Indian character; something to push the diversity as well as make a semi-political statement with the job interview. I could really see it working, especially with your talent!

MythicalCreature
  • MythicalCreature

My wings are useless

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:35 PM Edited by bengalboy_0701, 15 February 2014 - 09:38 PM.

As of now, I'm working on Niall's story after MOB pointed out a major flaw in it - I'll be posting it in no time.

Meanwhile, I am having some concrete ideas for EC79's sequel - East Coast 1986.

Spoiler

So, what do you fellas think?

• Tyla likes this

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:49 PM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 17 February 2014 - 01:52 PM.

As of now, I'm working on Niall's story after MOB pointed out a major flaw in it - I'll be posting it in no time.

Meanwhile, I am having some concrete ideas for EC79's sequel - East Coast 1986.

Spoiler

So, what do you fellas think?

I wouldn't exactly say it was a major flaw.. it was just an issue with the stories authenticity. The story you have outlined there looks interesting but my advice would be to focus on one story/concept at a time. Also I never knew about that little [acronym] trick for giving trivial info to those who want it.. nice. I will be using that in the future :)

MythicalCreature
  • MythicalCreature

My wings are useless

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:46 AM

Thanks, all of these ideas (mentioned in page 31) were driving me crazy so I posted one. This stuff always happens to me when i'm doing something. It didn't take me so long, though. My focus is on EC79. EC86 are just plans for the next one.

Abou Niall's story, Niall was supposed to be a mobster, so I'm giving him a background with the IRA, turning him an irish-born american national and associating him with the Tremont City mob. Niall becomes a victim of a classic gang hierarchy in the story and is exiled from TC, going to LC and staying away from the Easterners (Westies) and the story somewhat follows the original path from there. Except for the "Niall proving his innocence" part. Its in short, still working on it and will post it soon.

About the acronym thing, I just stumbled across it on the "Special BB Codes" button (3rd from the top left) and thought I might as well use it! A lot of people didn't know about that, I think.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

Thanks, all of these ideas (mentioned in page 31) were driving me crazy so I posted one. This stuff always happens to me when i'm doing something. It didn't take me so long, though. My focus is on EC79. EC86 are just plans for the next one.

Abou Niall's story, Niall was supposed to be a mobster, so I'm giving him a background with the IRA, turning him an irish-born american national and associating him with the Tremont City mob. Niall becomes a victim of a classic gang hierarchy in the story and is exiled from TC, going to LC and staying away from the Easterners (Westies) and the story somewhat follows the original path from there. Except for the "Niall proving his innocence" part. Its in short, still working on it and will post it soon.

About the acronym thing, I just stumbled across it on the "Special BB Codes" button (3rd from the top left) and thought I might as well use it! A lot of people didn't know about that, I think.

It's really handy.. I'm glad you used it :)

Just as a matter of interest why did you rename the Westies the Easterners? Is it because Liberty City is on the East Coast?

The Westies were so named because they operated primarily on the West Side of Manhattan (where Purgatory is in Liberty City). "The Westies" wasnt even a name they used themselves.. it came from a newspaper article which was written about their activities. My guess is that they were probably just called the McReary Mob. Unless of course this story isn't set within Rockstar's HD Universe.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Jive Talker

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Concept Story 2014
    Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Some quality ideas in here of late. Especially loving the sound of OSC's London project.

EC86 sounds good, B. I am unsure of how you're going to make use of your entire East Coast setting though. From what I read, your ideas sound more LC concentrated?

What I dislike are your choice of gangs to focus on. Automatically, I associate them with San Andreas. That West Coast scene. You can do better. Why not affiliate your protagonist with The Lords (based on Latin Kings)? You could carve out a nice little backstory of him fleeing to Liberty City from the Midwest and organazing his own people. Obviously, your story would fly with him being a fugitive and all.

Retaining the Ballas makes sense; Bloods are the bigger presence of the two in NYC as far as I know. Think they organized in prison during the late 80s/early 90s and spread from there? The Families would end up with a presence not worthy of any adversary to be honest - you should can them entirely. In their place, why not replace them with an organization inspired by the Supreme Team?

Other than this I like what I hear. I hope you include the Mafia somehow, if only to reflect the absolute hypocrosy of their big time handling of drugs all while supposedly enforcing a Cosa Nostra wide ban on drug dealing. Wasn't Castellano hit because he was about to access some tapes of Gotti discussing drug deals with Ruggerio? And this same man took over the Gambino Family? Complete parody fodder.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:23 PM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 17 February 2014 - 02:25 PM.

Some quality ideas in here of late. Especially loving the sound of OSC's London project.

EC86 sounds good, B. I am unsure of how you're going to make use of your entire East Coast setting though. From what I read, your ideas sound more LC concentrated?

What I dislike are your choice of gangs to focus on. Automatically, I associate them with San Andreas. That West Coast scene. You can do better. Why not affiliate your protagonist with The Lords (based on Latin Kings)? You could carve out a nice little backstory of him fleeing to Liberty City from the Midwest and organazing his own people. Obviously, your story would fly with him being a fugitive and all.

Retaining the Ballas makes sense; Bloods are the bigger presence of the two in NYC as far as I know. Think they organized in prison during the late 80s/early 90s and spread from there? The Families would end up with a presence not worthy of any adversary to be honest - you should can them entirely. In their place, why not replace them with an organization inspired by the Supreme Team?

Other than this I like what I hear. I hope you include the Mafia somehow, if only to reflect the absolute hypocrosy of their big time handling of drugs all while supposedly enforcing a Cosa Nostra wide ban on drug dealing. Wasn't Castellano hit because he was about to access some tapes of Gotti discussing drug deals with Ruggerio? And this same man took over the Gambino Family? Complete parody fodder.

Yeah I agree with all of these points. If you're focusing on the Crack Epidemic why not use different cities in this one. The major distribution centers for crack in the 80s were Washington DC, New York and LA with the main dealers there being Rayful Edmond in DC, Lorenzo Nichols, Kenneth McGriff and Azie Faison in New York and Ricky Ross in LA.  LA is a bit far away from the other cities though so you could use The Chambers Brothers of Detroit instead.

In regards to the Gambino Family though the Gabetti family in GTA have been lead by Jon Gravelli since 1978 which means that the Gotti-Castellano conflict wouldn't really translate well... unless you used a different Family. We know that the Ancelottis have been lead by Giovanni Ancelotti also since 1978 but we don't know how or when Vincent Lupisella, Harvey Noto or Mary Valvona's husband (who she murdered in 1990) came to power aside from Lupisella killing his twin brother in a struggle for leadership and Noto becoming Don after a long and bloody power struggle. I have my own ideas for what went down but there's no reason why you can't have one of them come to power in a similar way to John Gotti.

Pooyan Cyrus
  • Pooyan Cyrus

Drake stole my notebook :(

• Members
  • Mars
  • Helpfulness Award [Concepts]
    Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

Found out that I've won the "Best Concept Story" award.
Thanks to everybody who helped me writing the Ultimate, especially S13 and TheUnholy. Also to the voters! :)

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Lend me 10 and I'll buy you a drink.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

I've got so many ideas for concepts that I can't focus on one, here's some of my ideas:

Istanbul 1970s-80s

South Africa 2014

France 1960s

Australia 1990s

Canada 2000s

Bangkok 2000s

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

Thanks to everybody who helped me writing the Ultimate, especially S13 and TheUnholy. Also to the voters! :)

What were the other nominated topics??

Phnx.
  • Phnx.

Big Homie

• Facade Corporation
  • Poland

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

brownbear, Canada could be good place for next GTA.

Loosestring
  • Loosestring

Paranoid Android

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

As far as I remember:

- "All In The Game" by Claude4Catalina

- "Grand Theft Auto: North Yankton" by Target13

was among the other nominated topics. Probably also there was "Hood Property" by Benjamin Bob nominated, too but I can't be so sure.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

As far as I remember:

- "All In The Game" by Claude4Catalina

- "Grand Theft Auto: North Yankton" by Target13

was among the other nominated topics. Probably also there was "Hood Property" by Benjamin Bob nominated, too but I can't be so sure.

I would've voted for All in The Game had I known there was even a category for concepts this year. Last year I remember it was won by what was basically a writer's discussion story. I think the category actually covered both. I wonder if there were many votes this time around.. it hasn't really been a contested category since I won it back in 2010. Not bragging or nothing but it's kinda true :)

In my opinion anyway.

I'm thinking next year will be a good year but a lot of the good topics that are around here now will probably be forgotten by then. Maybe we should have a creator's choice awards or something a bit later in the year.

• Tyla likes this

Tyla
  • Tyla

Jive Talker

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:18 AM

I would've voted for All in The Game had I known there was even a category for concepts this year. Last year I remember it was won by what was basically a writer's discussion story. I think the category actually covered both. I wonder if there were many votes this time around.. it hasn't really been a contested category since I won it back in 2010. Not bragging or nothing but it's kinda true :)

In my opinion anyway.

I'm thinking next year will be a good year but a lot of the good topics that are around here now will probably be forgotten by then. Maybe we should have a creator's choice awards or something a bit later in the year.

Originally there was no category for concepts this year and I had thought we would organize awards of our own in their place. The idea became a bit redundant when Kirsty reinstated the best concept award but I would still like to see something like this take place. Wasn't MUFC Tommy responsible for organizing something similar a few years back with categories like best location, best protagonist, best gameplay, etc?

If any of you are interested in the same thing happening then speak your mind.

There was something silly like 30 total votes on the awards this year. Pooyan won half of them. If I remember right you had twice that in the bag when you won your award and Sammidoogles and Akavari weren't far behind. So if something like a community awards will remedy the lack of exposure concepts have now then I am all for them.

I've got so many ideas for concepts that I can't focus on one, here's some of my ideas:

Istanbul 1970s-80s

South Africa 2014

France 1960s

Australia 1990s

Canada 2000s

Bangkok 2000s

Brownbear, bloody hell. You just keep on banging them out. Best thing you can do is just write them all and post what you feel is best. Knowing you I doubt you'll be able to settle on just the one!

Loosestring
  • Loosestring

Paranoid Android

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

In my opinion anyway.

Originally there was no category for concepts this year and I had thought we would organize awards of our own in their place. The idea became a bit redundant when Kirsty reinstated the best concept award but I would still like to see something like this take place. Wasn't MUFC Tommy responsible for organizing something similar a few years back with categories like best location, best protagonist, best gameplay, etc?

If any of you are interested in the same thing happening then speak your mind.

Well, that reminded me something similar. I'm also hanging around at another GTA forum where fans make their own GTA series (using IV or San Andreas but independent to GTA in story elements means). Every year, they organize an award fest among themselves. During that, they vote and nominated for best protagonist, best fiction, best visual effects, best scenario, best side character etc. When I saw this suggestion, I remind it. Nominaters post their nomination to one of the most reputable series producers (also the mastermind of this event), after this guy selects the five productions who takes the most vote and determines the nominations. Afterwards, they're posted and voters are free to vote. :)

Likewise best protagonist, best side character, best setting, best soundtrack, best story, best fiction, the most realistic concept, widest content could be among the categories.

Istanbul 1970s-80s

I doubt it, mate. You need to study your lesson well to make a GTA concept thread set in Istanbul, especially when it's set during 70's, 80's period. I got excited but I said it as I'm a Turkish citizen myself. If done well, a 70's, 80's Istanbul GTA concept would be a well political concept because Turkey was a hellhole melting with Left wing-Right wing disputes, religion fights (amongst Sunnis and Shiites), Turkish-Kurdish loose ties and much more. Also there was a militaric coup done in 1980, ended 1982, IMO surely was a bad stain in Turkey's history. Also, I forgot there was patriotic side and communists disputing during that time. I can say 1980's could be a better choice if you want to reflect them all, but like I say it's a hard job, you need to further search, investigate. Good luck. :)

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

My appologies for not posting, or even keeping you, updated in my GTA: '76 concept. Ive been very tied down with personal issues at the moment, and a GTA concept thread is one of the last things on my mind.

That said however I've had a think about the story and I've got to ask, considering the sort of theme I'm going with, is it bad to think of puting in a few over the top missions? I don't want it to be over the top ever two missions like V, but I've had an idea for a bank heist my protagonists will pull (even though they're a drug syndicate, there is a legitimate reason this single heist is going down), and it just seems almost as over the top as the Big Score in V.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

I doubt it, mate. You need to study your lesson well to make a GTA concept thread set in Istanbul, especially when it's set during 70's, 80's period. I got excited but I said it as I'm a Turkish citizen myself. If done well, a 70's, 80's Istanbul GTA concept would be a well political concept because Turkey was a hellhole melting with Left wing-Right wing disputes, religion fights (amongst Sunnis and Shiites), Turkish-Kurdish loose ties and much more. Also there was a militaric coup done in 1980, ended 1982, IMO surely was a bad stain in Turkey's history. Also, I forgot there was patriotic side and communists disputing during that time. I can say 1980's could be a better choice if you want to reflect them all, but like I say it's a hard job, you need to further search, investigate. Good luck. :)

Yeah definitely, my dad is from Turkey so I think I could write  about it quite  well. In fact my granddad was quite a big gangster in Gaziantep.

The main problem I could see with Turkey as a setting is that the underworld is quite homogeneous, being run pretty much solely by Turkish or Kurdish organised crime, with a small presence of Albanian, Armenian and Russian gangs. I was thinking a Billy Hayes style protagonist would be good as it could give an outsiders view and give people a reason to speak English. 

Loosestring
  • Loosestring

Paranoid Android

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

Yeah definitely, my dad is from Turkey so I think I could write  about it quite  well. In fact my granddad was quite a big gangster in Gaziantep.

The main problem I could see with Turkey as a setting is that the underworld is quite homogeneous, being run pretty much solely by Turkish or Kurdish organised crime, with a small presence of Albanian, Armenian and Russian gangs. I was thinking a Billy Hayes style protagonist would be good as it could give an outsiders view and give people a reason to speak English. 

Then no problem, I thought like you were a stranger that is interested in Istanbul. :) I think 1983-1985s would be best choice for dominating criminal underworld and using newly-overcome militaric coup as a background (because I think having it set during coup period would underrate a GTA game, it would make more of a political game). Turkey's criminal underworld is hellhole including cops, soldiers more intense than American crime (lots of soldier have been unknown to use their work for dirty purpose: many former high-ranking soldiers are claimed to have smuggled cocaine, pot and stolen army surplus weapons. However, the problem with Turkey's criminal underworld is being homogenous like you say: there is no such diversity of criminal activities in Turkey as it is like in America. Most of the drug lords consist of Turkish and Kurdish ones, and like you said small number of Eastern Europeans are in drug game as well (mainly heroin as far as I know). Once, I've planned something about south Turkey border and Istanbul line of smuggling cocaine and marijuana (not as a GTA game, I'm also interested in writing indepent concepts) and I say it would be cool idea if some south border city (it could be Gaziantep, Diyarbakır, Urfa or Mardin) as a sub-setting. Like I said, political disputes can be used as a background stone, maybe characters like a communist prisoner who has been imprisoned and tortured during militaric coup, a PKK terrorist, a mafia leader who has a "Turkish supremacist/patriotic" background (many Turk drug lords have Turkish supremacist/patriotic background) could be used. I'm willing to support this idea of yours.  :^:

• Tyla likes this

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

Thanks man, that post was a big help. Maybe you could give me a hand making? It'd be good to have an insider helping, I've never actually been to Istanbul, my dad is from Izmir but I don't think it's characteristic enough for a GTA. 

Maybe it could be a San Andreas style game with Istanbul, a Bodrum style resort town, an Eastern city behind a mountain range and maybe even a Cappadocia style region. Obviously it would have to be compressed hugely but I think it could work.

The story I've got in my mind would feature two main characters, an Irish small time criminal and hash smuggler and an aging Kabadayı who's trying to adapt to a changing underworld. The Irish guy would somehow end up indebted to a mafia family and rise through the Turkish underworld, while the Kabadayı would be in a losing battle against drug gangs and would become embroiled in dirty politics.

Here's the gangs that I think could fit in:

Turkish Mafia: This will be the most powerful gang and there will probably be a few different families within. They control every aspect of the underworld from drugs to politics. Their only serious contender is the Kurdish Mafia. Most families have a right wing leaning and have links with the Grey Wolves.

Kurdish Mafia: Also hugely powerful, these crime families come from small towns in the rural East. They are embroiled in a brutal war with the Turkish Mafia. They tend to be left wing and support the PKK heavily.

Albanian Mob: Not a very big presence, but have a role in human trafficking in Istanbul and the resort town. 

Grey Wolves: Not so much a gang as a paramilitary, they are a brutal right wing organisation. Heavily involved in politics, they are often used for assassinations by corrupt officials. They strongly oppose the PKK.

PKK: A Kurdish separatist movement, they are something like the IRA of Turkey. Many bombings and assassinations are carried out in the big cities, but out in the East full scale gun fights take place between the and the army. 

Communist Party: A smaller guerrilla group, waging war against the government. They are much more low key than the other groups, but are sill violent and dangerous.

Biker Gang: I'm not sure if they would have had any real significance at this time.

Street Gang: There should be at 3 or 4 street gangs in the big cities. They are not in the same style as US street gangs, many are children of mobsters and are used to sell drugs and contract killings by the Mafia Families.

Arab Mafia: A small presence in the Eastern city, they are known for smuggling guns and sex slaves over the border from Syria.

Gypsies: Not really a gang, but small family based groups of Gypsies who are involved in burglaries and armed robbery and sometimes hash selling.

Balkan Mafia: A shadowy group often mentioned in the game but rarely seen. They are a small, loosely affiliated group fro around the Balkans who work with the Turkish Families to smuggle heroin into Europe. (Niko cameo?)

• Tyla and Loosestring like this

Tyla
  • Tyla

Jive Talker

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

My appologies for not posting, or even keeping you, updated in my GTA: '76 concept. Ive been very tied down with personal issues at the moment, and a GTA concept thread is one of the last things on my mind.

That said however I've had a think about the story and I've got to ask, considering the sort of theme I'm going with, is it bad to think of puting in a few over the top missions? I don't want it to be over the top ever two missions like V, but I've had an idea for a bank heist my protagonists will pull (even though they're a drug syndicate, there is a legitimate reason this single heist is going down), and it just seems almost as over the top as the Big Score in V.

Good to see you man. Nah, I don't think that would be a bad thing at all. I actually don't mind a few over the top missions. It's when in GTA you're doing sh*t out of no where (jumping trains for green goo, driving a plane into another plane) purely for effect that it f*cks me off. Give it plenty of build up and you'll be fine. Besides, I was hoping I'd get to see you tackle a bank job. All that hacking and quiet option isn't for me. I miss the old bag, sawn-off and stick of gelignite. :pp

Loosestring
  • Loosestring

Paranoid Android

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:38 PM Edited by TheUnholy, 19 February 2014 - 03:45 PM.

I would like to help as far as I can. I'm not living and have never been in Istanbul, too but I may give a few tips about Istanbul and I think I can mostly help on criminal organizations. Abdullah Çatlı and Behçet Cantürk could be the biggest mobs you can base on to have a wide opinion about Turkey's criminal underworld and creating Turkish and Kurdish drug lords (Cantürk was a well-known Kurdish drug lord meanwhile Çatlı was a Turkish drug lord).

Çatlı was funded by MIT (something like United States' CIA) with money and heroine. Like most of the other Turk drug lords, Çatlı has past with Grey Wolves, acting as a contract killer for them, used for many assassinations on PKK or Kurdish communists, Armenians, left-wings and worker party communists.

Cantürk was a Kurdish drug lord who was mainly involved with hash, cocaine and morphine trade and it's alleged that he had been supported by government so that he can move drugs from East side to West side. Also there is a Kurdish drug lord named Hüseyin Baybaşin (probably most powerful drug lord with Turkish origins) but he was involved in doing business abroad rather than in the homeland, so he hadn't much involved with Turkish-Kurdish drug war. Also Iranian drug smugglers could work as business partners for Kurd drug lords.

About PKK, it's founded at the end of 70's but it started to empower after the 1980 militaric coup (because of the notorious tortures at Diyarbakır Jailhouse and militaric violence towards Kurdish people). The bombing actions of PKK probably started in the mid of 80's. Also, during 80's, PKK has been in the political view of Marxist communism (and also Kurdish activisim of course).

Actually there were no (or maybe few) Communist guerilla groups other than PKK during 80's (but there were by the mid 90's). There were worker communist parties who was against governments, in general but "waging war" could be a wrong term. They were generally on protesting.

I don't know but maybe 90's could be a better setting to realize the things we've all mentioned (because during 90's, government allegedly waged drug war between Turkish and Kurdish mobs).

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

Good to see you man. Nah, I don't think that would be a bad thing at all. I actually don't mind a few over the top missions. It's when in GTA you're doing sh*t out of no where (jumping trains for green goo, driving a plane into another plane) purely for effect that it f*cks me off. Give it plenty of build up and you'll be fine. Besides, I was hoping I'd get to see you tackle a bank job. All that hacking and quiet option isn't for me. I miss the old bag, sawn-off and stick of gelignite. :pp

Speaking of heists I've been sitting on a half finished heist mission for my Family Ties topic for moths now. I have most of it written including the set up, the getaway and the end but I haven't quite been able to do a decent middle for it i.e. the actual heist part. After play GTA V what I had planned just seems kind of bland and I can't seem to word it in a way that makes it exciting. I kinda want to just write in clinical matter and describe just the ins and outs but I feel that this would kind of jeapordise its integrity somewhat. Its a bit of a pickle to say the least :/

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:14 AM

There seems to be a lot of love for 1970s Las Vegas flying around the forums at the moment! Not that I'm complaining, but it's making me think I should finally get round to updating my Las Venturas concept thread instead of creating a new one.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Jive Talker

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:13 AM

Honestly MOB, I'd just post the thing and stop mulling it over. I've got the same thing going on with a train robbery for London. By far, the heist itself (in a story full of heists) isn't as exhilarating as it is diverse and can in no way match up with the action of the previous mission that involves acquiring the services of a crew member essential to pulling the job off. I wouldn't say being clinical is a bad thing. I doubt Michael Mann would either. Quite the contrary.

Try and bottle a feeling and carry that throughout your write-up of the heist going down. It could be that awareness of Carlo's that he feels like his arse is about to fall out of his pants but at the same time the rush of adrenaline going into a score with a heavy piece of kit in his hands is something else. Or it could be you painting him like a meticulous brain surgeon hovering over a patient with a scalpel on life-support, knowing if he makes one wrong move the whole thing is blown. Embrace it. :^:

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Honestly MOB, I'd just post the thing and stop mulling it over. I've got the same thing going on with a train robbery for London. By far, the heist itself (in a story full of heists) isn't as exhilarating as it is diverse and can in no way match up with the action of the previous mission that involves acquiring the services of a crew member essential to pulling the job off. I wouldn't say being clinical is a bad thing. I doubt Michael Mann would either. Quite the contrary.

Try and bottle a feeling and carry that throughout your write-up of the heist going down. It could be that awareness of Carlo's that he feels like his arse is about to fall out of his pants but at the same time the rush of adrenaline going into a score with a heavy piece of kit in his hands is something else. Or it could be you painting him like a meticulous brain surgeon hovering over a patient with a scalpel on life-support, knowing if he makes one wrong move the whole thing is blown. Embrace it. :^:

Thanks for the advice man. I decided to just go with a basic straight forward heist with only three guards but some heavy police resistence afterwards. I didn't really speak too much about Carlo's feelings during the job though preferring to leave that up to the player/reader. I went ahead and posted it right after I finished so I'd appreciate it if you guys could read it and give me some feedback. It is really long (probably the longest single installment yet but I would appreciate it if you took some time out to give it a look. Anyway here's the link - http://gtaforums.com...s/?p=1064797509

ObsydianRaven
  • ObsydianRaven

Formerly Sethpenguin

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:09 AM

I'm thinking of doing a 70's Boston concept after I'm done with GTA: Carcer City. The story would focus on an Irish mobster, corrupt FIB agent, and a professional car thief.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Jive Talker

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

I'm thinking of doing a 70's Boston concept after I'm done with GTA: Carcer City. The story would focus on an Irish mobster, corrupt FIB agent, and a professional car thief.

Boston in the 70s? Tell me more!

ObsydianRaven
  • ObsydianRaven

Formerly Sethpenguin

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:06 PM Edited by ObsydianRaven, 24 February 2014 - 08:38 PM.

Boston in the 70s? Tell me more!

I haven't really fleshed it out yet but I'm thinking of maybe expanding the setting to not just the Boston Metro-Area but the Greater Boston area which includes other iconic Massachusetts cities like Lowell and Lawrence as well as out state  locations such as the New Hampshire cities of Nashua and my hometown of Manchester, not to mention the Rhode Island city of Providence which has it's own Italian American crime family.

I might also make a DLC concept for GTA: Carcer City.

• Tyla and gta111 like this

MythicalCreature
  • MythicalCreature

My wings are useless

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:10 AM

I'm stuck. Exactly how many missions do I need for EC79 to make it okay? From what I hear, V had 69 missions and they were too little in quantity when it came to each protagonist. So how many missions do I need per protag? 30? 45?

And also, I updated the stories a little, not to mention the completed form of Niall's story. Go check! ;)

Loosestring
  • Loosestring

Paranoid Android

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

I'm stuck. Exactly how many missions do I need for EC79 to make it okay? From what I hear, V had 69 missions and they were too little in quantity when it came to each protagonist. So how many missions do I need per protag? 30? 45?

And also, I updated the stories a little, not to mention the completed form of Niall's story. Go check! ;)

I think you shouldn't limit yourself with an exact number, do missions till you find enough. However, V has some problems with the multi-protag system. The most significant one IMO is focus on protagonists and this limited the characteristic development. So, each special focus on protagonist is important. For example, if you pick a Vietnam vet protagonist that is mentally unstable, you should show about his background (how Vietnam war has affected him), go deep inside his persona. And I think the story's length is quite important for the development of the characters. You should start somewhere and I think you'll get how much you should continue your story.

I'm working on SOTEOF's Chapter I Part 3 "Bite The Bullet", but I'm stuck a bit, so I'm cooling down my process with State On The Edge Of Forever for now, till I'm clear with Part 3. But the real thing I'd like to counsel is I'm planning to re-write the story of The Valley Of The Vultures (the Vice City sequel I've talked about) because with TVOTV, I want to reflect a dark, gritty, decaying Vice City due to a completely changed underworld. I don't know if I can form a dark, gritty setting from a city where is known for its sunny beaches and shiny lifestyle. But from my former process with the concept, I realized I've done it all wrong. I was doing a brainstorming last day and I've thought of some new protagonists: a former Sindacco Family member who was Leone's informant in the family (I thought I could make a crossover to Toni's story before Liberty City Stories), a pessimist man before mid-age with a biker background and a Haitian gang member. I don't know if I would stick with it but maybe Sleeping Dogs like atmosphere could work with a dark, gritty Vice City.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users