» «
Photo

III Player rigging

11 replies to this topic
Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:26 PM Edited by ManDog, 20 August 2013 - 12:39 PM.

Getting Started
This is the guide on how to change your player model for GTA3! So you can replace Claude with whatever person you like.

Tools:
TXD Workshop
3DS Max

To start:

Open up both 3DS Max and TXD Workshop (of which you can download both above, if you haven't bought 3DS Max, then you can download the student version).
Then open it up and it should be like this:
user posted image
Click Open IMG which can be seen here:
user posted image
Now, go to your GTA3 Directory which should be in either "My Documents" or "C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA3".
Go to the models folder and open up GTA3.img, and extract "player.dff" and import it to 3DS Max.

BUT! Make sure that before you import the model, make sure the toolbar is like this:
user posted image
Now you probably have a ped you want to rig, so we'll carry on to the next step.

Now that you have extracted and imported Player.dff into 3DS Max, move it to the right/left away from the position that it was imported in.
Now import your model you want to rig to GTA3, for me, it's bmydj from San Andreas.
Rotate the model + skeleton 90 degrees to the right, like this:
user posted image
So now it should be facing the same way as Claude's player model, after done it should look like this:
user posted image
------------------------------------------
Now, select all of your models skeleton, use ALT to deselect the model, and delete the skeleton by pressing "DEL" on your keyboard, so then it will be like this:
user posted image
Go to the toolbar which should be in the near top right corner. Click Editable Mesh and Element, select the whole model except the head, like this:
user posted image
Now delete it so it will be just the head, as we are just rigging the head at the moment, so it will look just like this:
user posted image
Move the head to where Claude's head is, line it up, so it is like this:
user posted image
But now, the neck area below the head will have gaps, go to the toolbar and click "Vertex" in Editable Mesh.
Move the vertices from the bottom of the head where the neck should be to fit Claude's neck without any gaps.
------------------------------------------

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:27 PM Edited by ManDog, 20 August 2013 - 12:49 PM.

WARNING!
Make sure you have UVMapped the player's head first (the one you want to rig, not Claude's), make sure you've uvmapped the head to Claude's player.bmp!
If you do not know how, there is a tutorial on it a few posts down.

Rigging the Model
Now that the bottom area of the head where the neck should be is fitted, click onto Claude's head, select all his vertices, and click "Attach".
Then click on the head you wanna rig, and a bar should pop up and it will be like this:
user posted image
Click "OK", now both Claude's head and the head you want to rig should be one, only Claude's head vertices will be red because they are the ones what are selected, like this:
user posted image
------------------------------------
Click "DEL" so it should just be the head you're wanting to rig:
user posted image
Now the ped should be rigged, but first, add the textures to the entire model (which can be done by dragging and dropping the texture from whatever folder it's in, onto the model in 3DS Max), and then it should be like this
user posted image
Before you extract, make sure the toolbar is like this:
user posted image
------------------------------------
Select everything, plus Root like this:
user posted image
Now press Extract DFF, then you are done. But not entirely.. you want to rig your new player to work in cutscenes don't ya?
On to the next step!

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:31 PM Edited by ManDog, 20 August 2013 - 12:46 PM.

Rigging the model for Cutscenes
Go to GTA3.img by TXD Workshop, and extract "playerh.dff"
Should be like this:
user posted image
Now do the same as before. Line the head you want to rig up with Claude's head like this:
user posted image
Click Claude's head and select all the vertices, click on Attach, click on the head you want to rig, click "OK".
Then it should be rigged, and it should be like this:
user posted image
Now, extract in Vice City's extraction method and click Bones/Skin Export, so it should be like this:
user posted image

Now you have rigged it for cutscenes, now go back to TXD Workshop, open up playerh.txd, replace the texture with the uvmapped one with Claude's body texture, click save TXD, click it off, go ingame, and enjoy your rigged model!

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Feroci Racing
  • Philippines

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:37 AM

Sounds nice enough, and I guess it's about time that we have a player rigging tutorial for III. The only problem is that models with skirts and similar stuff might not be suitable enough for the game due to the way III animates peds.

Swoorup
  • Swoorup

innovator

• Members

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:55 AM

great tut!!!looking for some more

JuNioR_
  • JuNioR_

All you had to do was follow the damn train...

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:32 PM Edited by Junior123456789, 06 January 2012 - 02:02 PM.

How do I skin my character?

Add the textures to the model both ped and claudes body, should be like this

EDIT: Just found out. tounge.gif Nice tut. Now I'll see how it looks ingame.
EDITē: Look what I done XD:
user posted image
Download

Next I'll do some GTA IV Characters like Roman XD
I also added some Tommy skin textures so it's like Tommy from VC

JuNioR_
  • JuNioR_

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:34 PM Edited by Junior123456789, 08 January 2012 - 08:34 PM.

Hoping you'll do a tut of cutting body into parts smile.gif

JuNioR_
  • JuNioR_

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

Pls ManDog read the PM I sent you smile.gif

CONEX
  • CONEX

Nitro

• Members

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:00 PM Edited by CONEX, 21 January 2012 - 07:09 AM.

Hey man i got a problem

It's not with the DFF its with the Texture....

I can't uvmap the texture because the TXD im trying to use has more than one texture in it...

It has 4 Textures, the face texture and the Hair texture and both eyes, what shall i do now? sad.gif

Its all ok but you should do the UVMapping Tutorial: (
I have no idea how to do it, and my Ped has 4 different textures so yeah : (!

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

3 years on GTA Forums!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

Why does 3ds max cost 4000$ ? I really wanted to do something like this. confused.gif

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (Libertyking @ Saturday, May 19 2012, 21:13)
Why does 3ds max cost 4000$ ? I really wanted to do something like this. confused.gif

Because it's a professional modeling software. The same software used to make each GTA.

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

QUOTE (Libertyking @ Saturday, May 19 2012, 19:13)
Why does 3ds max cost 4000$ ? I really wanted to do something like this.  confused.gif

Download the student version. I got a full year free by telling them I was a homeschooled kid from Paperweight, Nebraska. tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users