Claude speaking?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic
Wercury
  • Wercury

God bless chainsaws!

• Members

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (fireguy109 @ Wednesday, Aug 17 2011, 14:01)
He is simply "the protagonist." He has no name. In beta, you could assign a name to him. If you chose to enter a blank space or something it would have to default to some name. They chose "Claude" for that name because it was the same NAME as their last guy.

The protagonist in the final version is not the Claude from GTA 2.

Exactly.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (Wercury @ Tuesday, Aug 30 2011, 16:04)
QUOTE (fireguy109 @ Wednesday, Aug 17 2011, 14:01)
He is simply "the protagonist." He has no name. In beta, you could assign a name to him. If you chose to enter a blank space or something it would have to default to some name. They chose "Claude" for that name because it was the same NAME as their last guy.

The protagonist in the final version is not the Claude from GTA 2.

Exactly.

How'd you both know that?

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

Look at it this way. In this game, you had to name the player. If you left a blank space the game would fill it in with the character's default name, Marche or some other.

We know that the beta had the ability to name the player. R* wouldn't want blank spaces in their cut scene dialogue, so they would assign a default name if the field was left blank.

The ability to name the player is the reason no one says his name in the in-game audio. Imagine calling him Claude verbally when his assigned name was Fred. turn.gif That's why he doesn't have his name mentioned.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

You still didn't answer my question.

Plus, I can guarantee you don't know at which stage of development was the 'Default Name' feature cancelled.

Claude being the default name though, as well as his appearance, prove that it's the GTA2 character, who is the protagonist.

This was to show that the games belong to the same era, or linked at least.

MyDog
  • MyDog

FC BARCELONA

• Members

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

Wow, two guys look similar and everyone assumes they're one same person? What about king Umberto and innkeeper Umberto? Or T-Bone Mendez and the Mendez Brothers? Because they have the same name, means they are related or one same person.

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:33 PM Edited by fireguy109, 30 August 2011 - 05:41 PM.

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Tuesday, Aug 30 2011, 11:44)
You still didn't answer my question.

1. Plus, I can guarantee you don't know at which stage of development was the 'Default Name' feature cancelled.

2. Claude being the default name though, as well as his appearance, prove that it's the GTA2 character, who is the protagonist.

3. This was to show that the games belong to the same era, or linked at least.

1. I can guarantee you don't either. turn.gif But if I had to guess I'd say towards the end - that's why he isn't in the audio (quote - The ability to name the player is the reason no one says his name in the in-game audio. Imagine calling him Claude verbally when his assigned name was Fred. That's why he doesn't have his name mentioned.)

2. It doesn't prove that it IS him, it proves he looks like him. And really, Claude's look is pretty much a stereotypical tough video game white male, so you can't really prove that.

3. Wasn't there just a debate that GTA2 was set in the future? I doubt they are same era. If they were same era, it would be GTA Liberty City instead of GTA III - the III signifies a new storyline and new characters.

Also, what exactly are you questioning? mercie_blink.gif

I'm talking about Claude speaking now and the ability to name him is why he doesn't speak or have his name mentioned. If I wanted to discuss if he was the guy from GTA2 I'd go to that topic.

Wercury
  • Wercury

God bless chainsaws!

• Members

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Tuesday, Aug 30 2011, 15:44)
Claude being the default name though, as well as his appearance, prove that it's the GTA2 character, who is the protagonist.

What? It proves the exact opposite of that! mercie_blink.gif
If GTA III's protagonist is the same as GTA 2's protagonist, they wouldn't have thought about giving us the option to change his name!
"Claude" was the default name just because their last protagonist had that name.
It's kinda like a man naming his child after him. People can't say they're the same person because of that, can they?

The best argument so far, is the "if they were supposed to be the same people, R* would have made it A LOT more clear". You can't say that's not true.

Rytuklis
  • Rytuklis

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

Guys
Claude did have a voice in BETA/Early version. If you look at very first trailer you see him speaking when he shoots or when he carjacks, taunting and stuff.
He has been voiced by same actor as Leone Salvatore

Reason R* cut Claudes voice out was because they were lacking of money for another voice actor.. So they just put Claude Mute and put the actor for Leone

SourcE: Some kind of GTA III fan webpage cant remember

Stahli
  • Stahli

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:05 PM Edited by Stahli, 31 August 2011 - 10:26 PM.

Look at this Beta Videos

00:14 "Get out of the Car"

00:17 "get movin"

Rytuklis
  • Rytuklis

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (Stahli @ Wednesday, Aug 31 2011, 22:05)
Look at this Beta Videos

00:14 "Get out of the Car"

00:17 "get movin"

Exactly what i mean

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

The "get out of the car", please read Niall's post. He brought up the exact same thing a few posts up. The "get movin" is spoken by a ped in GTA III. Rockstar probably overlayed several audio over the video. Many sound effects in the trailers do not appear in the actual game.

Stahli
  • Stahli

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:23 PM

In the final version, he says nothing. And that's a fact. No one will change that. It should be so.

Avskygod0
  • Avskygod0

Snitch

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:07 PM

I heard the sentence before,but it's when you get carjacked.

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

Q: Is Claude a mute or is he a man who doesn't talk? I remember CJ calling Claude a mute in the race in San Andreas.
Rockstar says:
It may now seem obvious that people should all talk in games, but this was not necessarily the case in 2001, certainly not in an open world game. We were making up a lot of procedures as we went along, and we decided that the NPCs (Non Playable Characters) should talk and we would have to figure out how to make them talk (using motion captured cutscenes, something that had never really been done before, at least not on the scale we were doing it). So we decided that the game’s protagonist would not talk, partly to aid people identifying with him, but mostly because we had so many other problems to solve and this did not seem like a major issue. We started to discuss introducing a talking lead character when working on Vice City, but it was a lot of work. While the structure of GTA3 may seem obvious or natural now, and the use of cutscenes made in the game’s engine that look and feel like the game may seem simple and easy, it really was not the case back in 2001 when we had to figure out all of these things for the first time. Oh and in San Andreas, CJ calls Claude a mute because he does not talk and CJ finds this unnerving.

john12
  • john12

Good Bye!

• Members

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

Seriosly. Are you all thinking claude can speak? He doesn't like to speak much and this topic is similar in GTA SA one's but this one is old.

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14 - Supralux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:25 AM Edited by _____, 16 December 2011 - 11:31 AM.

His full name is Claude Speed though. They named him that in their Facebook test.

Edit: Had a great read here, definitely confirms my thoughts about him: http://www.rockstarg...claude-dar.html

dro0001
  • dro0001

Fo Shizzle

• Members

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

Rockstar confirmed that they never planned him to talk and someone tampered with the beta teaser trailer.

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14 - Supralux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

I think that this sentence confirms that he is not mute, along with the other reasons (they were technically limited, immersion etc):
QUOTE (R*)
Oh and in San Andreas, CJ calls Claude a mute because he does not talk and CJ finds this unnerving.

They just kept the GTA III formula for Claude's appearance in SA. It would have been weird if he had talked.

ClaudeSpeed2134
  • ClaudeSpeed2134

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

What are you guys talking about?

NewportByChrysler
  • NewportByChrysler

LC R29

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (ClaudeSpeed2134 @ Thursday, Mar 15 2012, 18:05)
What are you guys talking about?

This thread is from 2011, reported for bumping bored.gif .

Eatingnuggets
  • Eatingnuggets

Player Hater

• New Members
  • None

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

Like someone in the forum said, There will be leftover.s. What if they put some GTA 2 audio in the files of the game?  

thehambone
  • thehambone

BONZO

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:30 PM

Like someone in the forum said, There will be leftover.s. What if they put some GTA 2 audio in the files of the game?  

Did you not read the post above you about bumping?

• ssbawesome likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

-_-

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

Please do not reply to old topics unless you have something constructive to add to your post.

Did you not read the post above you about bumping?

If you have an error with a post, report it and move on - Otherwise you could be in just as much trouble for unneccesary spam such as this.

Lock-icon.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users