» «
Photo

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

107 replies to this topic
oldage
  • oldage

Boss

• Members

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:07 AM Edited by oldage, 12 August 2011 - 05:28 PM.

user posted image

Price: anywhere from the 5 to 20 dollars range
Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO).
Targeted for release via Playstation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, and Steam (for PC and Mac) in early 2012, CS: GO will expand upon the team-based action gameplay that it pioneered when it was launched exactly 12 years ago (CS beta 1, August 1999).
CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.
“Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999,” said Doug Lombard, VP of Marketing at Valve. “For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand on CS’ award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next gen consoles and the Mac.”
CS: GO is being developed by Valve in cooperation with Seattle-based Hidden Path Entertainment. The title is targeted for release in early 2012 and will be playable at this year’s PAX Prime and London Games Festival.
For more information, please visit http://store.steampo...d.com/app/1800/

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:10 AM

This is exciting. Counter-Strike is one of my favorite FPS games. The countless nights I would spend when I was in high school playing 1.6 and Source. Start at 9pm, realize it's 4am, got to get ready for school at 6. Good times. Can't wait.

Kimd41
  • Kimd41

SRS

• Members

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:16 AM

Holy sh*t! My favourite game! PLEASE DONT f*ck IT UP!

Although I'm almost sure Cliffe will f*ck it up.

BLlTZ
  • BLlTZ

Typical behaviour for someone with your condition.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Texture/Model 2013 "SRt3 2012 Mipmap Edition"

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:49 AM

Hm,
Well I think they will show something at Gamescom although they are more prepared for DOTA2.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

Heh, thought that it would be in the arising very soon.

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

This sounds good, been a while since the last CS. If it does feature customisation, drops and so on like TF, it will surely be quite weird, but we'll see.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:56 AM

Counter Strike is sh*t and will always be sh*t. They either make something completely new out of the ash feces that is CS/CS:S and go for a totally different approach overhauling everything and then I'll be interested.

Other than that it can rott in hell.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

this is a great game to get you into multiplayer when your young! looking foward to see what they do with the updated engine that they used in portal 2. i will have to get the half life pack off steam and re live my teenage years again!

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

Wow, new Counter Strike game! f*ck Battlefield 3, f*ck MW3, f*ck Heroes of Stalingrad. f*ck EVERYTHING ELSE!

Kimd41
  • Kimd41

SRS

• Members

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Friday, Aug 12 2011, 11:20)
Wow, new Counter Strike game! f*ck Battlefield 3, f*ck MW3, f*ck Heroes of Stalingrad. f*ck EVERYTHING ELSE!

Agreed. tounge.gif

I think this will be like Condition Zero, with SP campaign and all. Just the name "Global Offensive" screams missions around the world. Plus, they updated CSS to the latest Source engine a year ago, so it doesn't make sense to make a clone.

I'm not sure how that would turn out, today's gamers want ultra-realistic battles and weapon usage, like BF3.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:37 AM

A prettier CS:Source with single player campaign, good physics, customisation and more functions? Sounds great to me. Just hope we get a damn iron sight function. Can't play shooters without it anymore.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

And so the march of the fanboys begins!

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Friday, Aug 12 2011, 13:37)
A prettier CS:Source with single player campaign, good physics, customisation and more functions? Sounds great to me. Just hope we get a damn iron sight function. Can't play shooters without it anymore.

I think there will be weapon customization. But here's how I think it should work. They said ammo will be free, right? So maybe instead of buying ammo, you will use the money you earn to buy weapon attachments on the beginning of each round when you buy weapons.

What do you guys think of that system? Could that work?

I still play CS 1.6 so it will take something really awesome to pull me out of that. CS:S couldn't do it, and as excited as I am for new CS, I am also skeptical about it.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

What I would like to see is something like Left 4 Dead, only counter strike themed. f*ck the multiplayer. It never seemed to work.

For that 4 player co-op experience, the engine and the amazing gunplay.

That is what I would prefer.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Friday, Aug 12 2011, 14:24)
QUOTE (sivispacem @ Friday, Aug 12 2011, 13:37)

I think there will be weapon customization. But here's how I think it should work. They said ammo will be free, right? So maybe instead of buying ammo, you will use the money you earn to buy weapon attachments on the beginning of each round when you buy weapons.

What do you guys think of that system? Could that work?

I do think that's a great idea. That you spend money accumulated game-play on modifications for weapons, which once purchased can be used in any round of a game, as long as that game continues. When the game ends and the next one starts, you need to re-purchase them. That sound about right?

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:03 PM

user posted image

I seriously hope you get the joke.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (oldage @ Friday, Aug 12 2011, 08:07)
Only thing I'm worried about is modding; the previous games were great because you could change the skins so easily... if they use the newer source, it would basically kill most of it.

I may be wrong, but isn't the newer Source (L4D) actually really easy to mod skins? All you have to do is click on the VPK file (or in my case, paste it into 'addons') and it's installed.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (d0mm2k8 @ Friday, Aug 12 2011, 17:11)
Only thing I'm worried about is modding; the previous games were great because you could change the skins so easily... if they use the newer source, it would basically kill most of it.

I may be wrong, but isn't the newer Source (L4D) actually really easy to mod skins? All you have to do is click on the VPK file (or in my case, paste it into 'addons') and it's installed.

Yeah, it's just all done in addon.txt instead of altering a bit of the game's code.

oldage
  • oldage

Boss

• Members

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (d0mm2k8 @ Friday, Aug 12 2011, 18:11)

I tried to mod L4D2 once and it didn't work for me, never tried again after that so it's on my end probably. tounge.gif

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

It's official now. Also coming to consoles. "True PC company" my ass.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

Does it honestly f*cking matter if it's going to consoles too? Really? They're still great to the PC platform so why does it matter if they want to expand and be great to everyone else?

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:03 PM Edited by Indi., 12 August 2011 - 05:08 PM.

What the f*ck are you on about Street Mix?

Free PC DLC for PC gamers (they'd like to expand to consoles), DoTA 2 being a PC exclusive (well don't really see that working on consoles).

Dude, it's fine to expand to consoles, it's a business. This will also probably include a feature like Portal 2 with Steamworks integrated on both consoles (if MS accepts), and a free code to play on the PC.

@d0mm2k8: Exactly, people need to shut the f*ck up.

Oh and:
user posted image

P.S.: Announced on my B-day yaaaay.

By the way... London Games Festival 2011 is called off this year, so I think Doug made a mistake.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

They're still great to the PC platform so why does it matter if they want to expand and be great to everyone else?

1. In the today's gaming world when Microsoft and Sony buy exclusives, Valve can buy/make smth exclusive for PC too (if they care about PC as you said).
2. Who will be playing CS on consoles anyway? Haven't they learned anything from TF2? 99.9% of gamers play it on PC while on consoles it's 1.0.0 without any updates and patches. Same will be with CS GO. So why bother?

oldage
  • oldage

Boss

• Members

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (Street Mix @ Friday, Aug 12 2011, 19:16)
They're still great to the PC platform so why does it matter if they want to expand and be great to everyone else?

1. In the today's gaming world when Microsoft and Sony buy exclusives, Valve can buy/make smth exclusive for PC too (if they care about PC as you said).
2. Who will be playing CS on consoles anyway? Haven't they learned anything from TF2? 99.9% of gamers play it on PC while on consoles it's 1.0.0 without any updates and patches. Same will be with CS GO. So why bother?

I think Valve is free to update the PS3 version though, not sure how much they updated portal 2 on PS3. (anyone with it on ps3 that would mind to enlighten me?)

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (Street Mix @ Friday, Aug 12 2011, 18:16)

1. MS and Sony are trying to sell consoles. Valve is not, hence no need for exclusives. Valve will only lose money by making PC exclusives with no gain what so ever; what's the point?
From a PC gamer perspective, how does having something exclusive such as this make it better for us? The game will be more or less the same whether or not it's exclusive, so is it just for PC gaming bragging rights? That's retarded.

2. Sony allowed Steamworks integration with Portal 2 which makes for free updates and MS are also allowing Valve to release the Portal 2 DLC for free on Xbox. Although this is different, I don't see why the similar measures couldn't happen. It isn't 2007 any more you know.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

If it has a version of Assault, I'm sold. Getting into that warehouse is one of my fondest multiplayer gaming memories.

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:35 PM

cool. i hope this is good for CS fan icon14.gif
many people still prefer to play the good old CS 1.6 instead of Source (same as me) since it was really enjoyable than Source somehow.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (oldage @ Friday, Aug 12 2011, 18:22)
QUOTE (Street Mix @ Friday, Aug 12 2011, 19:16)

I think Valve is free to update the PS3 version though, not sure how much they updated portal 2 on PS3. (anyone with it on ps3 that would mind to enlighten me?)

I haven't seen any updates on it, all I know is any update for PC will be on PS3 for free eventually.

DreamsLieHere
  • DreamsLieHere

Pleasure principle

• Members

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

Fantastic news. Been enjoying 1.6 and Source for a long time and I can't wait to try this out!

Kimd41
  • Kimd41

SRS

• Members

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

They say it's like an expansion to Source. I'm sold.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users