77 replies to this topic
The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

I heard amazing things about the PC version. People praise control scheme, graphics and optimization like it's the best thing since sliced bread. I loved the first one so I'll probably pick this one up one of these days.

MinnieMan121249
  • MinnieMan121249

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

Pirated it and played a few missions. Gotta say I'm REALLY happy I pirated it.

The game has no interesting concept. You shoot through waves of enemies and plant explosives mostly. I don't like that. Gives it a COD feeling, yet it was amusing to shoot through two enemies with one bullet. Watching it fly from your rifle, into the first guy's eye, pop out of the back of his skull, and fling itself into the other dude's head. THAT, was cool. But besides that the game keeps throwing enemies at you, without anything else to really do.

The game is boring and not original, except from the x-ray thing feature. I remember playing the demo, and poping the main targer in both testicles, watching them explode in slow motion inside his body. But to pay about $50 to watch you do that over and over and over just doesn't worth the money.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (MinnieMan121249 @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 01:27)
You shoot through waves of enemies and plant explosives mostly.

did we play the same game??

this doesn't sound like my experience at all.
SE V2 is nothing like CoD.

MinnieMan121249
  • MinnieMan121249

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

The Stelth approach is also important. Timing your shots to the noise thing, to remain unknown. But sometimes when you're detected a mass war with the horrible AI the game gives you breaks out. I'm playing on the harderst difficulty, and for some reason the enemies always swarm in to where I am right now, even if I'm undetected. Gives a feeling of an aimbot being "used" by the NPCs.

Regardless it's repetetive and gets boring too fast. That's my opinion, though, I'm not saying I'm a professional game critic, I'm just "another gamer". But Sinse this is an open topic, I can say what I've felt when playing SEV2

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

I hear the game has co-op. Can anyone review the co-op mode?

AreXi
  • AreXi

Quack Quack

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 16:10)
I hear the game has co-op. Can anyone review the co-op mode?

I've been playing through the co-op campaign with a friend. The campaign itself is exactly the same, but there's a no-name baldie who doesn't show up in cutscenes or anything who's controlled by the other player, so the campaign itself is pureblooded singleplayer. Don't know about playing the co-op with a random player, but playing the game with a good friend sure makes the game helluva lot fun.

We've also tried two other gamemodes, Kill Tally and Bombing Run.
In Kill Tally you "defend" a point against waves of enemies and compete which one gets more kills while doing so.
In Bombing Run you have to retrieve different components around the map for a plane before the whole area gets bombed to sh*t.

All in all, it's great fun with a friend.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:51 PM Edited by El_Diablo, 09 May 2012 - 10:18 PM.

QUOTE (MinnieMan121249 @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 03:21)
But Sinse this is an open topic, I can say what I've felt when playing SEV2

I never said you couldn't.

but the way you're describing the game makes me feel like you haven't actually played it.
not because you think it's repetitive or boring. those are your opinions (even though I also think they're dead wrong).

but because you keep talking about "waves of enemies" or "mass war with horrible AI."
I don't know what difficulty settings you were playing on, but my experience doesn't reflect this at all.

there's never a moment in the game when you suddenly find "waves" or "mass" of anything.
most of the game is spent working your way around individual squads of patrolling Germans or the occasional tank or Russian spy. I have yet to find a portion of the game where enemies are pouring in towards me from every direction and keep coming no matter how many I kill.

it's not that kind of game at all.
it's nothing like CoD (which you compared it to). that doesn't make sense.

CoD spawns waves of horrible AI until you move up to a certain checkpoint. they just run in your general direction spraying bullets with reckless abandon.
Sniper Elite presents you with set pieces like a chess match. around every corner is a unique challenge with varying number of enemies and varying terrain and surroundings at your disposal. and the AI in Sniper Elite is very well designed. it's not anywhere near as simple or dumb as CoD.

the AI in SEV2 (at least when it comes to realistic difficulty, I can't speak for easy mode) are programmed to work together in order to flush you out.
they even respond realistically to squad formation. if you take out the highest-ranking enemy in a group, the others will become a little disoriented and not sure how to proceed. otherwise they're pretty intelligent in a lot of ways. they lay down covering fire while others try to advance from cover, they flank you if you possible, they avoid booby traps if they spot them, they can detect noise and glare, etc etc.

you're certainly entitled to your own opinion.
but you're not entitled to your own facts tounge2.gif

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

I finally got the full game. And I have to agree with El_Diablo, totally worth the money. I'm kinda sad I didn't preorder to get the "Kill Hitler" mission.
Another thing I like is how Germans are human beings. You can hear them talk about their families, how sh*tty the war is getting, what they have been doing on patrol.
I tend to listen the full dialog before taking them out.

I just wish they weren't so repetitive when looking for you.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (fullmetal @ Sunday, May 6 2012, 01:04)
QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 11:51)
QUOTE (fullmetal @ Thursday, May 3 2012, 10:47)
Oh for f*cks sake, the release of the game has been pushed back to the 11th of this months. And Diablo III is going to be out the 15th and then another two weeks for Max Payne 3... damnit.

Dude,the game's out right now.

Dude not when you get the retail versions and prefer a short ass install instead of a long ass download.

Huh? dozingoff.gif I AM talking about the retail versions.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 09:55)

what are your difficulty settings?

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 19:17)
QUOTE (goin-god @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 09:55)

what are your difficulty settings?

Sniper Elite. I meant they repeat the same lines over and over again. "Where are you?" , "I will find you", and a few others. Get's annoying.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

oh you mean their speech is repetitive lol.
I gotcha.

yeah they didn't record too many lines of dialogue.
but that's also why I play with subtitles turned off.

I don't want to know what the enemy is saying.
makes the experience more immersive for me personally since I don't understand German language anyhow. so I'm not supposed to know what they're saying.

eventually you learn what ACHTUNG GRANATE means (cover your ass, incoming grenade), but I like hearing the foreign tongue.

Hell No..
  • Hell No..

Dad.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Well, my mates done it again. Another great tribute! (Contains Spoilers)

AreXi
  • AreXi

Quack Quack

• Members

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Thursday, May 10 2012, 02:46)
oh you mean their speech is repetitive lol.
I gotcha.

yeah they didn't record too many lines of dialogue.
but that's also why I play with subtitles turned off.

I don't want to know what the enemy is saying.
makes the experience more immersive for me personally since I don't understand German language anyhow. so I'm not supposed to know what they're saying.

eventually you learn what ACHTUNG GRANATE means (cover your ass, incoming grenade), but I like hearing the foreign tongue.

Yeah, but Fairburne does know German, so you're supposed to know German tounge.gif

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

if he does then subtitles should have been forced on at all times.
or they should have recorded the German lines in English with a strong Austrian accent.

if the main character is supposed to understand it (which I guess was only explained in the first game, they never hinted that in V2) then it shouldn't even be option.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

I hate the low damage.. I HATE IT. I can't recall how many missions I failed thanks to the enemies shooting me back after I shoot 3 times at them with the f*cking bolt action pistol.
SMG's are a f*cking joke.

The AI has it's moments, like in the first mission where you attack Russians. I was in a great position, in a building next to the Ruskies formed near the bridge. Droped a grenade to kill them all and a Sniper 500 meters away (who was hidding, he wasn't even looking) automaticly locates me and starts shooting. Blowing my cover.

Most enemy snipers are superhumans in Sniper Elite mode.

But well, the overall game is great. So I keep playing, but when I get fed up I just close the god damned thing to do something else.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

the Welrod (pistol) is weak, yes.
you really gotta' concentrate on headshots with it.

what I like to do, if an enemy is coming up on me too fast, is just make sure to hit him somewhere first; like in the shoulder or leg.
then when he stops for a moment in pain, you can easily target his head. none of this will make any "noise" or alert any other guards as long as you get the headshot before he has a chance to return fire.

SMG's feel weaker than they should, but I've learned that they can still be deadly and effective if you make sure to fire in short bursts.
aim at the center of your target (not head) with an SMG and squeeze off 1-2 rounds at a time. pause between shots. you'll find it is much more efficient this way. after I got into the habit of being liberal with the SMG, it became much more useful for me. I can kill a wave of 3-4 enemies with just 10 rounds from my Thompson or MP40 / PPSH.

countersnipers are the one major problem I've identified with the AI.
their vision is a little too good sometimes.

Colanbarry
  • Colanbarry

Dress classy dance cheesy

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:40 AM

Finished this today although it's a bit on the short side it's the best game i've played so far this year.

AreXi
  • AreXi

Quack Quack

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, May 14 2012, 00:01)
if he does then subtitles should have been forced on at all times.
or they should have recorded the German lines in English with a strong Austrian accent.

if the main character is supposed to understand it (which I guess was only explained in the first game, they never hinted that in V2) then it shouldn't even be option.

They did hint that in the second mission. He understood what the german officer (whose name I can't remember) said over the radio, where he mentioned that they're going to execute the scientist who wanted to defect to USA.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

oh, I guess I don't remember that.
I don't pay attention to cut scenes usually, not in a game like this.

I remember at the end of one mission, he reads a document that (I thought) was in Russian, not German.
either way I'll stick to my style. I'm still gonna' leave the subtitles off because I personally don't speak German and it feels more immersive for me to not understand them.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, May 14 2012, 17:58)
oh, I guess I don't remember that.
I don't pay attention to cut scenes usually, not in a game like this.

Sad to hear that.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

why?
I'm not missing anything special or important. they're pretty boring.

after seeing all the cutscenes at least once and getting the gist of the story I stopped watching them.
you can't skip them, so I usually get up to take a piss between missions.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, May 14 2012, 18:34)
why?
I'm not missing anything special or important. they're pretty boring.

after seeing all the cutscenes at least once and getting the gist of the story I stopped watching them.
you can't skip them, so I usually get up to take a piss between missions.

I don't know, it seemed you were really into the story. Not a big deal, but I love to watch the cutscenes on every single game I play. smile.gif

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

I'm less into the story and more into the atmosphere of the game itself.
SE V2 creates an awesome atmosphere. I play with the lights off, headphones on, music disabled and sound effects way up.

the story is decent if somewhat generic.
I mean it's fine, it's good. it moves the missions along and gives you purpose.

the game itself is better than the story.
perhaps the best cutscene was the one in which 4-eyes slowly died lol.gif

ShaneHunter
  • ShaneHunter

The Boss

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

This game had the potential to be something unique when compared to other fps shooters. First time since Wolfenstein we have seen Hitler in a game and they could have used it as a main selling point. Hitler could be the main antagonist and they could've made it into an awesome campaign. Missed the boat with this game.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Game is pretty repetitive, horrible storyline but hella lot of fun to play.

Love the scoped shots and the X-ray shots. I just keep doing the same mission over and over again.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Friday, May 18 2012, 09:54)
I just keep doing the same mission over and over again.

which mission is that?

I've just been playing through the campaign (missions in order) over and over.
each time I go through I choose a different loadout (different rifle, different combination of explosives, etc) and try a brand new approach or strategy for each level or encounter. since each rifle behaves in a unique way you're always making adjustments.

you might also notice that the game has random spawn points for certain groups of enemies or snipers.
some encounters are scripted to always be in the same area, and others are made to appear in a slightly new place every time. so this keeps things interesting.

the challenges are also a lot of fun.
you pick a map from the campaign and see how long you can survive against increasingly greater waves of enemies. you get an infinite stockpile of traps and explosives, so it's like an original game of tower-defense but with first-person shooting. you move around and try to defend yourself from the next best hiding spot.

I've got the DLC mission too where you get to assassinate Hitler at his private train station in the Bavarian Alps.
it doesn't take more than an hour to complete, but it's a really fun mission. and hopefully that means more interesting DLC in the future.

Aristocrat
  • Aristocrat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:44 AM

is it true that there are various minigames with the rifle you have to deal with? i heard this from someone but it sound like bs

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

I don't know about "minigames."

there's an achievement for finding and shooting wine bottles that are hidden on each level.
but I wouldn't describe that as a minigame.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

This game is great. I bought it just now... do you guys recommend any cool ways to do missions? I just beat the one where you blow up the guy's convoy. I think that Hitler DLC sounds cool, but I don't know if I can pay for it right now without having to put more on my credit card since I blew like 3/4 of what I can spend for the week from my checking on this game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users