Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA San Andreas PS2 Graphics/Gameplay

56 replies to this topic
Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

Chain so heavy dat my neck starts hurtin'!

• Members

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:42 AM Edited by Mr. Kingpin, 17 August 2011 - 01:16 AM.

This topic is about changing the graphics and gameplay of the PC version to the PS2 version. The reason I made a new topic is because I wanted to show people the whole thing in a fresh new topic. I know many of you think this thing is pointless but to the people that wanted it, this is something big.

Contains:
- PS2 Textures (Might work on in the future)
- Orange sky and other sky effects.
- Advanced Motion Blur
- PS2 type effects on Cars. (the shinny thing) Credits: DexX. Link: GTAGarage Topic
- Advanced lighting. (PS2 Timecyc)
- And some more.

Notice that this has mods made by other people and again, I give many many props to them.

VIDEO [HD 720P available]:
Part 1

Part 2:

I will be updating this topic as well as the compilation. I did not put this in Mod Showroom because this contains mods owned by others and all my respect goes to them.

Let me know what you think of it. And any suggestions and requests, reply here.

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

Well, I can't see the videos due to my internet...

But, what I've heard from the previous topic, I might want to take a look at PS2 Timecyc.

And, what does this mean:
- All the textures are reduced to PS2 resolution.

It just changes textures to smaller resolution?

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (oksa8 @ Saturday, Aug 6 2011, 08:24)
Well, I can't see the videos due to my internet...

But, what I've heard from the previous topic, I might want to take a look at PS2 Timecyc.

And, what does this mean:
- All the textures are reduced to PS2 resolution.

It just changes textures to smaller resolution?

I don't quite exactly know why Rockstar did it but they reduced the texture resolution for PS2. And I just did the same with the PC textures so they look like PS2. And also, only thing different in PS2 timecyc is it adds extremely good lighting effects to the game. Although in order to have the greenish sky in daytime like in the PS2, I need to change up a little coding in the timecyc, so stick to this!

thanks for replying.

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:42 AM Edited by oksa8, 06 August 2011 - 08:44 AM.

Can you provide download link to current timecyc?
I can't remember what greenish tint looks like in PS2, but for some reason it sounds a bit wierd to me mercie_blink.gif

And smaller textures might be due to limitations in PS2, as flying fast with Hydra will still give you LOD-textures due to slow loading speed.

And still one thing... PS2 type effects on cars? Does it have something to do with modelling, or is it some tool used?
  • Methical likes this

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

Wow, im surprised how similar it looks to the ps2's sa atmosphere.
Good job. icon14.gif

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (oksa8 @ Saturday, Aug 6 2011, 08:42)
Can you provide download link to current timecyc?
I can't remember what greenish tint looks like in PS2, but for some reason it sounds a bit wierd to me mercie_blink.gif

And smaller textures might be due to limitations in PS2, as flying fast with Hydra will still give you LOD-textures due to slow loading speed.

And still one thing... PS2 type effects on cars? Does it have something to do with modelling, or is it some tool used?

I'm actually working on the timecyc myself only right now. I'm done Los Santos. And it might sound weird but it's not. I will upload a video after of the Timecyc and how it really looks now and let me tell you, I am amazed myself biggrin.gif .

If you wanna see the tint yourself go watch some GTAMissions PS2 San Andreas videos. But yah, now in my opinion SA looks lot better.

The PS2 type effect on cars is a tool which I take no credit for. It's not identical to PS2 but looks and works very similar.

And you are right about the texture reason.

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (frank.s @ Saturday, Aug 6 2011, 09:06)
Wow, im surprised how similar it looks to the ps2's sa atmosphere.
Good job. icon14.gif

Sorry for double post but thanks alot frank.s.

wait till you see the timecyc I just created. I can't believe I could do it myself ha!

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

They did change the textures due to the PS2's limitations and they also used some different textures , for ex in SF the textures for roads are grey similar to the ones from GTA III

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:20 PM Edited by Mr. Kingpin, 06 August 2011 - 06:27 PM.

f*ck now I gotta convert the textures from PS2. I'll be releasing it without changing textures for now but will update it once it's done.

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

^That.

For some reason, lol'd to it. biggrin.gif

Good work, how about basically just taking whole gta3.img from PS2 version, drive around on every area and see if it causes any bugs/crashing? Then you wouldn't need to rip the textures. :3

Some cookie.gif 's, really waiting for the timecyc and new effects on cars! smile.gif

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (oksa8 @ Saturday, Aug 6 2011, 18:42)
Good work, how about basically just taking whole gta3.img from PS2 version, drive around on every area and see if it causes any bugs/crashing? Then you wouldn't need to rip the textures. :3

It's probably not that easy, the txds and dffs all have slightly different formats, i doubt the pc version would read sa's ps2 files.
(also, i tried that with gtaiii a while ago and it didn't work)
Not to mention the fact that the ps2 gta3.img is two seperate parts and the pc version only reads one.

@Kingpin, you'll need Steve-M's ps2 txd viewer/extractor to get the textures because the ps2 txd's arent readable with pc versions txd programs.

TheNathanNS
  • TheNathanNS

GTA V: San Andreas.

• Members

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Mr. Kingpin @ Saturday, Aug 6 2011, 00:42)
I will be updating this topic as well as the compilation. I did not put this in Mod Showroom because this contains mods owned by others and all my respect goes to them.

if your only doing the timecyc then its ok to put in the mod showroom
if other modders are helping you then it can go in the mod showroom
if you are planning to release this mod along with other peoples mods without their permission then its mod theft

anyway when i saw that vid i thought it was actual PS2 gameplay (i only had SA PS2 for a week then my PS2 broke sad.gif )

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:43 PM

frank.s

Oh, ok. I'm not familiar at the PS2 version... Really haven't even played it much blush.gif

Mr. Kingpin

How about, for example for "Motion Blur Advanced", just post a link in ReadMe and add .url-link to download, and add config in your pack? Then it wouldn't be called a theft. (Of course if Alexander Blade gives permission, it's even better, but I doubt as he hasn't been very active.)

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:39 AM

oksa8, frank.s is right. In order to have the PS2 textures in PC, I need to convert it and I'll have to do them all seperately.
frank.s, thanks for the link.
TheNathanNS, it's ok to put WHAT in the mod showroom? The timecyc or the whole compilation? I have asked for permission but they haven't replied back to me. I already uploaded PS2 Timecyc in GTAGarage so download it! Be sure to use Color mod (I posted a link to it), just put em all in the SA Directory. Also, for car shiny stuff, use DexX's sagfx_lite that you can find pretty easily. And also, use Advanced Motion Blur.

I want to take 0 chances of getting banned from the site so I wouldn't release the whole thing in Mod Showroom now.

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:42 PM

Bump.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:56 AM

Do not bump topics if you're not going to add anything to it. If the topic generates interest, people will post in it. You don't have to bump it.

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (Girish @ Wednesday, Aug 10 2011, 02:56)
Do not bump topics if you're not going to add anything to it. If the topic generates interest, people will post in it. You don't have to bump it.

LOL ok boss....

Speaking of that, I do have some f*cking things to add. The topic went down so I was just getting it back up. But anyways...no need to spend any more letters on your bullsh*t mad.gif

Here's a new video previewing the GTA SA PS2 Timecyc that I just created. Available in HD. This is only for Los Santos.

This is available on GTAGarage Click here to go to the topic.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:07 PM

I modified sagfx lite to do just PS2 style rendering on the vehicles, and fixed some bugs in it. If you're currently using sagfx_lite for ps2 style vehicle rendering, it is vastly preferred to use this.

You may download it and view screenshots from gta garage;
http://www.gtagarage...ow.php?id=17540

You may also redistribute it freely, provided the original files are included, unmodified. I was thinking about other visual differences between the ps2 and pc, but i think the cars have the only majors ones. The peds look the same once the sunlight value is added to the timecyc file, and the buildings don't seem to have any changes that i can see. So apart from fixing bugs in the vehicle rendering, or some graphical difference that i overlooked thats hardcoded, I shouldn't have to update the mod much, if at all. Famous last words? tounge.gif

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:44 AM Edited by Adler, 17 August 2011 - 01:38 AM.

QUOTE (DexX @ Sunday, Aug 14 2011, 22:07)
I modified sagfx lite to do just PS2 style rendering on the vehicles, and fixed some bugs in it. If you're currently using sagfx_lite for ps2 style vehicle rendering, it is vastly preferred to use this.

You may download it and view screenshots from gta garage;
http://www.gtagarage...ow.php?id=17540

You may also redistribute it freely, provided the original files are included, unmodified. I was thinking about other visual differences between the ps2 and pc, but i think the cars have the only majors ones. The peds look the same once the sunlight value is added to the timecyc file, and the buildings don't seem to have any changes that i can see. So apart from fixing bugs in the vehicle rendering, or some graphical difference that i overlooked thats hardcoded, I shouldn't have to update the mod much, if at all. Famous last words? tounge.gif

Bro I don't know how to thank you for that. Really appreciate it. Sorry for late reply but did you check out the videos? In my opinion they look PS2 alike and I'm about to make a video with your new sagfx_lite ps2 edit. I'm thinking instead of redistributing I'm just going to have a link on the main post to your GTAGarage mod topic. And thanks for everything. Do you know any way for the sun to have a more intense effect like when you look at it it will be fatter and all?

again, thanks.

EDIT: I might just redistribute it and also give credit and link to the original topic of yours. Also, is the timecyc in your mod any different than the other PS2 timecyc that's identical to PS2?

-----

Update: the PS2 style sagfx is just second to none! I haven't seen this nice work. thanks.

I've noticed, i don't know if it's cause of this sagfx or not but the taxi is way less bright now. But it's all good.

New video uploaded:

-----

Posts merged. Double-posting is not necessary here. wink.gif - Adler

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:52 AM

I've noticed, i don't know if it's cause of this sagfx or not but the taxi is way less bright now.

It is. On the PC and Xbox, R* added an additional light to the vehicles just for the specular lighting which also makes the vehicles brighter overall. The PS2 version does not have this additional light and as such i removed it from my mod.

Also, is the timecyc in your mod any different than the other PS2 timecyc that's identical to PS2?

No. It's just the "timecycp" from the data folder, copied and renamed.

7DZ
  • 7DZ

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

Hey, I found bugs with sagfx_ps2. First: when you look at a Maverick from below, the wings look strange: http://imageshack.us/f/822/ps2gfx.png/. Second: Motorbike wheels are also affected with the 'reflection'. Is there any fix for that ?

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (DexX @ Wednesday, Aug 17 2011, 02:52)
I've noticed, i don't know if it's cause of this sagfx or not but the taxi is way less bright now.

It is. On the PC and Xbox, R* added an additional light to the vehicles just for the specular lighting which also makes the vehicles brighter overall. The PS2 version does not have this additional light and as such i removed it from my mod.

Also, is the timecyc in your mod any different than the other PS2 timecyc that's identical to PS2?

No. It's just the "timecycp" from the data folder, copied and renamed.

Oooo kk.

anyway man how do U like my PS2 style gameplay videos? Do they look similar?
And also, who knows how to turn off all the shadows but keep the grasses (Very high settings)? And is it true in PS2 there are more grass placed than in the PC version? Cause it does look that way.

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:22 AM

This is something I've noticed for every III-era game.

GTA 3 and Vice City have these lighting effects that make the games look better like the shadows and the games contrast were lower than the pc and xbox version.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (7DZ @ Wednesday, Aug 17 2011, 08:16)
Hey, I found bugs with sagfx_ps2. First: when you look at a Maverick from below, the wings look strange: http://imageshack.us/f/822/ps2gfx.png/. Second: Motorbike wheels are also affected with the 'reflection'. Is there any fix for that ?

I can't reproduce the heli bug, but i have seen that before, it's an issue with the alpha blending. If i pin it down i'll fix it. The motorcycle wheels have the white "reflection" on the tires because R* exported the vehicle that way. The solution is to re-export the model. Likewise, some vehicles on the PC version will NOT have the extra reflection*, whereas their ps2 counterparts will, again due to differences in the model.

*Uranus, Sadler, Super GT, probably others.

It looks pretty close from what i remember. I don't have a ps2/ps2 gtasa to compare with.

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (DexX @ Thursday, Aug 18 2011, 11:04)
QUOTE (7DZ @ Wednesday, Aug 17 2011, 08:16)

I can't reproduce the heli bug, but i have seen that before, it's an issue with the alpha blending. If i pin it down i'll fix it. The motorcycle wheels have the white "reflection" on the tires because R* exported the vehicle that way. The solution is to re-export the model. Likewise, some vehicles on the PC version will NOT have the extra reflection*, whereas their ps2 counterparts will, again due to differences in the model.

*Uranus, Sadler, Super GT, probably others.

It looks pretty close from what i remember. I don't have a ps2/ps2 gtasa to compare with.

Thanks. that was the main goal of the mod. And, same. I never had a PS2 only seen the game being played on my cousin's PS2 once but mostly just saw from screenshots and GTAMissions videos.

THE HERO
  • THE HERO

/* no comment */

• Members

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

hey dexx,
any chance, you'll release the source code? I'd love to see how you did it and (perhaps) play around a little. That would be nice.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:39 AM

New version uploaded, with some minor bug fixes and changes. Right here!

hey dexx,
any chance, you'll release the source code? I'd love to see how you did it and (perhaps) play around a little. That would be nice.

The source is code is now on there too, same page. You'll need some version of the Renderware Graphics SDK to re-compile it. I will not provide that.

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (DexX @ Monday, Aug 22 2011, 05:39)
New version uploaded, with some minor bug fixes and changes. Right here!

hey dexx,

The source is code is now on there too, same page. You'll need some version of the Renderware Graphics SDK to re-compile it. I will not provide that.

Thanks for the update.
I have a problem now I just discovered recently. When I first start GTA San Andreas with all the mods and everything, the FPS is very high while ingame like 80-100-140. Then it starts to decrease and then pretty quickly come to a point where I only get 30-35 and then after 25-30 FPS in the game...Any solutions

Biches
  • Biches

Crackhead

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:34 AM

Look at this:
user posted image
I used the pack someone posted at the previous thread (color mod, motion blur, + sagfx_ps2) and a PS2 texture mod i found on GTAGarage. Looks good icon14.gif
btw, Is there any way to disable the dynamic shadows with those that can be seen at Low fx, but still have the 3d grass?

THE HERO
  • THE HERO

/* no comment */

• Members

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the source dexx, it's more than I thought.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users