• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22,856 replies to this topic
Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:11 AM

Do people who constantly compliment themselves, but have trouble accepting compliments have low self esteem?

Example: "yeah because I'm so great obviously"

Also relating to something similar.

"of course, I'm the funniest person out"

I've noticed girls, especially love to point out how funny they are, is this an esteem thing or a stupid girl thing?

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:12 AM Edited by theadmiral, 27 January 2014 - 06:16 AM.

Do people who constantly compliment themselves, but have trouble accepting compliments have low self esteem?

I've noticed girls, especially love to point out how funny they are, is this an esteem thing or a stupid girl thing?

They sound just about the same way you do when you make that post. False sense of superiority or some other such nonsense. I'm not sure what the reason behind it is, perhaps a need to feel like "big man on campus"?

Why is it a gender stereotype to you? Totally off base.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:22 AM Edited by F4L?, 27 January 2014 - 07:24 AM.

They sound just about the same way you do when you make that post. False sense of superiority or some other such nonsense. I'm not sure what the reason behind it is, perhaps a need to feel like "big man on campus"?

Why is it a gender stereotype to you? Totally off base.
Cheers, I was actually talking about women since often they have bigger self esteem issues they are the the people who i notice doing this.

Btw, I never said it was a stupid girl thing,I was asking other people if they thought it was, I've only ever met women who do it so I think it worth asking.

Stereotypes exist for a reason, also if you choose to reply further I'm ignoring it because you're trying to troll me with veiled insults and hypocrisy.

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

My older sister (on paper at least) claims to be a lesbian, and has a girlfriend (whom she's met up to 1 times)
and that's my problem: why do I keep saying she thinks/claims she is a lesbian, rather than accepting, and embracing the fact?

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

Stereotypes exist for a reason, also if you choose to reply further I'm ignoring it because you're trying to troll me with veiled insults and hypocrisy.

Yeah man, ni**ers do smell, all Jews are big nosed bankers, The British have f*cked up teeth and are insane and all Americans are fat inbred hicks. Stereotypes exist due to fear and misunderstanding.

• Finn 7 five 11 and theadmiral like this

Eris
  • Eris

Grill

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

My older sister (on paper at least) claims to be a lesbian, and has a girlfriend (whom she's met up to 1 times)
and that's my problem: why do I keep saying she thinks/claims she is a lesbian, rather than accepting, and embracing the fact?

You're subconscious homophobia will not let you accept the fact that a relative is gay. 

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

You're subconscious homophobia will not let you accept the fact that a relative is gay. 

But I am no homophobe! When she came out to me earlier in 2013, I stood by her, offering to aid in any way I could (seeing as people can be narrow-minded). This was before I saw her for what she is though; a fat, lazy, pathetic, and megalomaniacal nobody

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most GIFted Member

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:25 PM Edited by Tacymist, 27 January 2014 - 07:25 PM.

Americans are fat inbred hicks.

We're not all fat! :angry:

Eris
  • Eris

Grill

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

But I am no homophobe! When she came out to me earlier in 2013, I stood by her, offering to aid in any way I could (seeing as people can be narrow-minded). This was before I saw her for what she is though; a fat, lazy, pathetic, and megalomaniacal nobody

You may not think you have a problem with gay people, but something is clearly not letting you accept the fact that she is lesbian. The subconscious mind is weird, and scientists don't agree on how it works. 

You know the people who say, ''I don't have a problem with gays, but I don't want my child to be queer"? It could be the same with you. 

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

But I am no homophobe! When she came out to me earlier in 2013, I stood by her, offering to aid in any way I could (seeing as people can be narrow-minded). 

That just sounds like you're trying to cure a disease.

"You're a lesbian?! I WILL HELP YOU."

• Shah Sam likes this

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:38 PM Edited by Marwin Moody, 27 January 2014 - 07:38 PM.

But I am no homophobe! When she came out to me earlier in 2013, I stood by her, offering to aid in any way I could (seeing as people can be narrow-minded). 

That just sounds like you're trying to cure a disease.

"You're a lesbian?! I WILL HELP YOU."

Aid; as in if anyone was giving her any sh*t about it I'd have a word with them to say the least

but now I just have no respect for her and hope to steal her apartement

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

Some people do go through it as a phase. There are enough people out there who are just ambivalent enough about their sexual orientation to convince themselves that they are gay/bi just because they think, at least subconsciously, that they'd get more attention out of that. And then they grow out of it. Or not.

But then there are people who are genuinely struggling with their identity, and all of the flaws you perceive are a result of insecurities associated with that struggle. And you'll never be able to say with absolute certainty which it is.

And you know what? It doesn't matter. Labels should never be used to restrict others. To try and cage them into something they don't want to be. Let the person pick the labels the are comfortable with, whether it truly reflects their identity or not. If you try to force a label on someone because you think you know better, you are not helping. In fact, you are almost certainly making things worse.

If a person wishes to identify as particular orientation, gender, or even race, let them. Even if you think that the individual might have ulterior motives, keep it as your own mental note, but give them benefit of the doubt, and treat them as if you accept them as who they say they are.

• Marwin Moody, na89340qv0n34b09q340 and Andreas like this

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

Some people do go through it as a phase. There are enough people out there who are just ambivalent enough about their sexual orientation to convince themselves that they are gay/bi just because they think, at least subconsciously, that they'd get more attention out of that. And then they grow out of it. Or not.

But then there are people who are genuinely struggling with their identity, and all of the flaws you perceive are a result of insecurities associated with that struggle. And you'll never be able to say with absolute certainty which it is.

And you know what? It doesn't matter. Labels should never be used to restrict others. To try and cage them into something they don't want to be. Let the person pick the labels the are comfortable with, whether it truly reflects their identity or not. If you try to force a label on someone because you think you know better, you are not helping. In fact, you are almost certainly making things worse.

If a person wishes to identify as particular orientation, gender, or even race, let them. Even if you think that the individual might have ulterior motives, keep it as your own mental note, but give them benefit of the doubt, and treat them as if you accept them as who they say they are.

This was a very well written post

I do treat her with respect, but if she were not my blood relative, I would avoid her (on a greater level). It's very sorry that it has turned out this way, we used to be such great friends - then the japan-praising began (That's when she quit sports and started pretending to think manga-esque art was something to live off). She's 22 this year (I'm 18 this year) and I make much more money than her. She lives at home, she gets stuff I don't (Public transport card, food money, clothes, shoes etc) and she relentlessly mooches of my much-too-loving father. Can you blame me for disapproving of her(as an entirity, not her sexuality)?

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Democratic-Republic-of-the-Congo

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:38 PM Edited by Joe Chip, 29 January 2014 - 02:02 AM.

Trying to think of a classical Indian singer. It was a woman, she was popular some time before the 1950s, and they sent some of her music into space on one of those extra-terrestrial intelligence programs. That's all I remember about her, but I really liked a couple of her songs.

Also what's the quickest/easiest way to take screenshots of a particular window, and then combine them so they're a vertical strip of images. I have Windows 7, and no access to Photoshop if that matters (But GIMP is fine.) I need to do it for somewhere between thirty and fifty eighty frames. e: Disregard the first part. I got irfanview to do that. Now they just need to be in a strip.

• theadmiral likes this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Trying to think of a classical Indian singer. It was a woman, she was popular some time before the 1950s, and they sent some of her music into space on one of those extra-terrestrial intelligence programs. That's all I remember about her, but I really liked a couple of her songs.

Kesarbai Kerkar

• na89340qv0n34b09q340 likes this

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Democratic-Republic-of-the-Congo

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

Kesarbai Kerkar

That's it, thanks! :)

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:47 AM

Yeah man, ni**ers do smell, all Jews are big nosed bankers, The British have f*cked up teeth and are insane and all Americans are fat inbred hicks. Stereotypes exist due to fear and misunderstanding.
No stereotypes exist because at least one person in said group has done or features what the said stereotype implies. Of course there are exceptions such as stereotypes created from obvious jokes or just plain idiocy.
  • Finn 7 five 11 likes this

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:44 AM Edited by Dr. John, 28 January 2014 - 09:45 AM.

All right, here's an extract from the story 'Best Setter' written by O. Henry.

"One day last summer, I went to Pittsburgh-well, I had to go there on business."

I have italicized the phrase which I didn't quite understand. My teacher says that O. Henry has a very sarcastic attitude when writing his "ironic" stories. I feel like I am missing some "only some will get this" humour. I know that Pittsburgh is in America for starters so I would like if somebody who lives there or knows a bit about that city could explain as to why the author commented like that.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:04 AM Edited by lil weasel, 29 January 2014 - 10:19 PM.

That was before the turn of the century (1900). Pittsburgh was the center of U.S. Steel making (Smoke stacks, soot, and all that)
So... No one would go there unless they had compelling reasons.

SmokeyCity2.JPG

Screen%20Shot%202013-08-27%20at%206_33_2

. City of Bridges
  • Pittsburgh boasts more bridges than any other American city.
pittsburg.jpg
  • Dr. John likes this

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

Ah, I see. Thaks, lil weasel. And I thoght it was something humorous... :/

Prince Gumball
  • Prince Gumball

It's not like anyone cares anyway

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

Is there any mod for GTA SA that lets us do a Max Payne style shootdodge?

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

All right, here's an extract from the story 'Best Setter' written by O. Henry.

"One day last summer, I went to Pittsburgh-well, I had to go there on business."

I have italicized the phrase which I didn't quite understand. My teacher says that O. Henry has a very sarcastic attitude when writing his "ironic" stories. I feel like I am missing some "only some will get this" humour. I know that Pittsburgh is in America for starters so I would like if somebody who lives there or knows a bit about that city could explain as to why the author commented like that.

That was before the turn of the century. Pittsburgh was the center of U.S. Steel making (Smoke stacks, soot, and all that)

While that's absolutely true, I feel like I should point out that it's a very pleasant city these days. Clean air, great views, beautiful architecture. It's also the only major U.S. city I know where you can live a 20 minute walk from downtown and feel like you live in suburbs.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:21 AM

Did Gnad get banned for this thread? http://gtaforums.com...odnight-thread/

Will he be back tomorrow?

Will his new username also involve Gnad?

• Mr. House and BMW1992 like this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:39 AM

That was before the turn of the century. Pittsburgh was the center of U.S. Steel making (Smoke stacks, soot, and all that)

SmokeyCity2.JPG

[...]

And it's twinned with Bilbao, my hometown, capital of the world, and former steel city as well.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:58 AM

SmokeyCity2.JPG

[...]

And it's twinned with Bilbao, my hometown, capital of the world, and former steel city as well.

Bilbao is considered the capital of the world? That's new to me.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:04 AM

It's home to the biggest tote bag supplier in the USA.

Bilbao Baggings.
  • Frank Brown likes this

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:06 AM

Bilbao Baggings.

Shame on you.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:10 AM

Bilbao Baggings.

It's a genuine question. I've always heard of New York City as the world's capital. Bilbao would've never crossed my mind as being in the running.

JIMHO
  • JIMHO

Hateoful Player

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:59 PM Edited by JIMHO, 29 January 2014 - 04:59 PM.

Why was there an ad for Trojan BareSkin for an old guy during the rerun of MTV Music Awards just now?

http://www.ispot.tv/...condom-big-date

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

Why was there an ad for Trojan BareSkin for an old guy during the rerun of MTV Music Awards just now?

http://www.ispot.tv/...condom-big-date

Why not? 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users