Have A Question? V2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22,856 replies to this topic
Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

Corona is 4.6% ABV. Firmly in light beer territory.

By contrast, my go-to strong brew is Phillips Amnesiac double IPA. 8.5%.

Andreas
  • Andreas

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:32 PM Edited by Andreas, 23 December 2013 - 06:33 PM.

Why are there so many moderators these days? And what happened to Adriaan? He was okay.

Some of the global mods retired recently, if I'm not mistaken, and others are relatively inactive. That's why so many members have been added to the global staff the other day. And since moderators can moderate the whole forum, as the rank name suggests, plenty of new led-by's have been added, too. And especially in a forum like the GTAV- and GTA: Online section, led-by's are urgently needed. As for Adriaan, he retired months ago already for reasons I don't know.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:48 PM Edited by theadmiral, 23 December 2013 - 06:49 PM.

Corona is a ladies beer unless you are Mexican or Latin American. It goes down very smooth and has very little beer taste other than the lime you put in it, and you can drink a few of them before noticing any effect.

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:57 PM Edited by Werebot85, 23 December 2013 - 07:06 PM.

Nevermind, solved! (I should ask google first before trying here)

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:50 PM Edited by Triple Vacuum Seal, 23 December 2013 - 07:57 PM.

Rightfully so, most Europeans seem to hold their nations up on a pedestal when it comes to social progression relative to the US.  However, they seem to lag behind America in terms of racial equality (from my personal experience).  Given that black folks seem to have a bad reputation just about everywhere, does anybody know of any European nations where the potential quality of life for blacks matches or exceeds that of the US?

Your using personal experience to try and extrapolate a general point which is never helpful.

What makes you think that that Europe lags behind the US in racial equality anyway? Generally speaking there's on average far less economic and social disparity in Western Europe than there is in the US regardless of any determining factors. 

You are over-thinking this.  I'm using personal experience to extrapolate empirical evidence on how minorities might be treated in similar situations.  Last time I checked you don't hear blatantly racist chants at major American sporting events.  I also can't remember the last time I've heard of a heavily influential black European who wasn't an entertainer or athlete.  The same racial boundaries that plague the US do so in Europe as well.  While America is just as screwed up as the next place on racial ethics, the simple fact is that our major cities have blacks, Hispanics, and Asians in numbers far too large for racism to prevail the way it used to.  Much of Europe just doesn't have as many blacks (percentage wise) as we do here in the US.  This concerns me since existing populations of a given demographic is the key metric for hospitality towards that demographic.

Not here for a debate to be honest.  I just wish someone would answer the question already.  I'll put it in layman's, is there any place in this world other than Africa or the United States where blacks can lead a MORE peaceful, politically progressive, and financially prosperous life? (one worth living)

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

What, you've never heard of the Cleveland Indians?

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

How fo I get rid of flea bites? I have been staying with my friend for a while and his girlfriends cat has fleas and the room is overrun with fleas to an almost uncontrollable level now I have a bunch of little red itchy bumps all over my arms from the damn buggers. We are work in on a way to kill off all the fleas but I just want to know how to treat the bites so they stop itching and go away

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

Not here for a debate to be honest.  I just wish someone would answer the question already.  I'll put it in layman's, is there any place in this world other than Africa or the United States where blacks can lead a MORE peaceful, politically progressive, and financially prosperous life? (one worth living)

I don't want to get bogged down in responding to the rest of your post as it is neither the time nor place, but in answer to this; all these things are relative and largely subjective. I can name numerous places where the standard of living amongst ethnic minorities is on average much higher than in the US; places with less crime or societal violence than the US; more politically progressive places; and places with higher living wages. Take basically the whole of Scandinavia, for one, which meets all of those criteria.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

Isn't Scandinavia a basely pure racial area of Germanic decent?

How much 'diversity' of races exist there?

What kind of industry exists there?

When considered against the whole of the rest of the world it seems to be an ... isolated culture...

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

I think , to generalize, the only people more racist than Americans are Koreans and Japanese, but their racism includes white people.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

Isn't Scandinavia a basely pure racial area of Germanic decent?

No.

How much 'diversity' of races exist there?

Well, in Sweden, 19.6% of all residents have non-Swedish nationality or direct descent.

What kind of industry exists there?

Take your pick. Everything from oil production to aircraft manufacture, agriculture to investment banking.

When considered against the whole of the rest of the world it seems to be an ... isolated culture...

Which just goes to show how little you know about global culture, in my opinion. I don't think Scandinavia is any more culturally isolated that most other countries.
  • Finn 7 five 11 likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:02 AM

At a movie theater which arm rest is yours? 

When Atheists go to court, do they have to swear on the bible?

Where does the toetag go on a dead person if they don't have toes?

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:04 AM Edited by lil weasel, 24 December 2013 - 01:30 AM.

It is my understanding that Scandinavia has a population of immigrants from many European countries and other white locals, but of the Africans

Of the world population:

Norway 1.4%

Sweden 0.8%

Denmark (insignificant)

So to say, "Well, in Sweden, 19.6% of all residents have non-Swedish nationality or direct descent." is a bit misleading.

Edit: Saw a news report that got me to wondering. Where is all the Money the Nigerians allegedly have stolen? You know the scams, and piracy, where Is the money?

Linc.
  • Linc.

Call your electrician, your doors f*cked!

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:15 AM

Nigeria, obviously.
  • Harley likes this

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

At a movie theater which arm rest is yours? 

When Atheists go to court, do they have to swear on the bible?

Where does the toetag go on a dead person if they don't have toes?

- None, they belong to the theatre :p

- As far as I know, atheists (and people from other religions) make a simple affirmation in court instead of taking an oath to God. It's either that or they swear on a copy of Charles Darwin's Evolution of man.. book.. whatever it's called

- Do they still use toe tags?

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:00 AM

Well, sh*t. Next time I appear on trial, I'm taking the whole 'Charles Darwin' approach. Toe tags are very much still in use.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Call your electrician, your doors f*cked!

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

522 errors for anybody else?

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

522 errors for anybody else?

In a word, no.
I've had no issues.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:11 AM

It is my understanding that Scandinavia has a population of immigrants from many European countries and other white locals, but of the Africans
Of the world population:
Norway 1.4%
Sweden 0.8%
Denmark (insignificant)

So to say, "Well, in Sweden, 19.6% of all residents have non-Swedish nationality or direct descent." is a bit misleading.

Well no, it isn't, because I wasn't referring to blacks specifically but to ethnic minorities in general. In my view it's largely impossible to separate blacks from ethnic minorities in general when discussing them in a European context because, unlike in the US, we tend to lump all discussion of rights for minorities together rather than addressing the question of black citizens directly.

You're right in saying that in pure numbers there are quite small numbers of black citizens in Scandanavia but some of the individual foreign national groups are not insignificant in size. There are around 60,000 Somalis (foreign nationals/naturalised citizens), so 0.6% of the entire Swedish population is Somali. 2.2% of the Swedish population is either Iraqi or Iranian, too, so it's not as if it's 99.2% white, 0.8% black.

Also, I still don't quite follow why you think that small outright numbers of blacks or other ethnic minorities discount a country from being seen as more racially harmonious than the US? I don't think it really makes much difference in the grand scheme of things.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Vietnam

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:25 AM Edited by Melchior, 24 December 2013 - 08:27 AM.

I don't want to get bogged down in responding to the rest of your post as it is neither the time nor place, but in answer to this; all these things are relative and largely subjective. I can name numerous places where the standard of living amongst ethnic minorities is on average much higher than in the US; places with less crime or societal violence than the US; more politically progressive places; and places with higher living wages. Take basically the whole of Scandinavia, for one, which meets all of those criteria.

Well, other issues aside, I have to agree that the US is a lot more progressive on this issue. White privilege is just weaker over there. The idea of Australia or Britain electing a non-white Prime Minister is unthinkable right now. Asians in Australia and Europe are widely viewed as foreigners and met with xenophobia, but when was the last time you heard anyone in the US even bother with the term "Asian-American"? Seems pretty accommodating to me.

However, since African-Americans were mentioned specifically I should point out that the general hostility towards black people doesn't exist outside of America. Africans here are more or less viewed as foreigners in the same vain as asian immigrants and the idea of a black person being met with suspicion by shopkeepers seems pretty alien here; they certainly aren't pigeon holed as criminals. African-Americans (that is, Americans who are also black) are generally treated the same as other Americans down here. If you're an African-American and you take a trip to Australia police won't treat you poorly and you won't be followed around clothing stores.

It's also worth noting that "Latin American" is not considered a race or even really an ethnic group outside of the US. They're basically treated the same as any non-British European down here. I guess my point is that the US has been a multicultural, multiethnic society for a long time, where as the rest of the Western world has been totally homogeneous until very recently, so all comparisons are facile. Australia didn't even allow non-Whites before the 70s, and didn't allow non-Brits until the 50s, and even then you had to have red or blonde hair in order to pass for British. Race is just a different ball game in the US, but if you want to consider the US to be ahead of Europe on this issue, by all means do so, though I'd say the issue is far too nuanced to do so confidently.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΛΟ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

What's the fastest write speed for an SSD?

Nuka
  • Nuka

• V Staff
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Top c*nt 👍

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

How do you adjust the Focus on a Toshiba 32" HDTV?

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

How do you adjust the Focus on a Toshiba 32" HDTV?

I have a Toshiba , not the same one, and I have a "Focus" button on the front of my set. Or is that now what you are asking? If you google the problem there are a bunch of step by step guides to tweaking this around.

• Nuka likes this

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:29 PM Edited by Dr. John13, 26 December 2013 - 04:29 PM.

Why does gasoline smells good while crude oil bad?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

Why does gasoline smells good while crude oil bad?

Oil is made up of a whole range of different hydrocarbons varying in weight and properties. Petrol is very light as far as hydrocarbons go and has lots of detergents and additives in it. It's the presence of Benzene and other aromatic hydrocarbons which give petroleum its sweet smell.

Ryan
  • Ryan

• Canada

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

What's the fastest write speed for an SSD?

Depends on the SSD, specifically the type of NAND, the controller chipset being used, and the interface.

If you're looking at buying an SSD, just do a Google search of the model you're looking at and you'll be bound to find some read and write benchmarks.

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

I don't have internet at home, So I don't have xbox live or anything like that. Which also means I can't download GTA V Patches, Is there a way to download a patch off of a website, putting it on a usb and installing it manually?

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

How fo I get rid of flea bites? I have been staying with my friend for a while and his girlfriends cat has fleas and the room is overrun with fleas to an almost uncontrollable level now I have a bunch of little red itchy bumps all over my arms from the damn buggers. We are work in on a way to kill off all the fleas but I just want to know how to treat the bites so they stop itching and go away

I'd try witch hazel or sea breeze for the bites. As far as the fleas, sprinkling the carpeting with borax works great along with a flea shampoo for the cat.

GroundZero
  • GroundZero

Previous Username: Bull12345Bull

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:12 PM Edited by Bull12345Bull, 27 December 2013 - 07:12 PM.

Is there a "GTA Forums" crew for GTA V Online?

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [Gen Chat]

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

Is there a "GTA Forums" crew for GTA V Online?

Totally
http://socialclub.ro.../crew/gtaforums
  • GroundZero likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users