Photo

Have A Question? V2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22,856 replies to this topic
jln22
  • jln22

Call me Julian

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:20 AM Edited by jln22, 11 October 2013 - 07:38 AM.

I guess that my dad's baldness increases my chance of getting bald as well.

It's hard man, because if eventually I'll become bald I'll probably be more insecure and more depressed. Even with my full hair right now I can't accept myself and now that I became self-conscious of this problem, it's becoming worse, it's like a bomb, you don't know if it's gonna explode or not. I am still a teen.

Here's a pic.

http://i.imgur.com/nP7F5LY.jpg

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

Looks fine now. And what to worry about. It seems the movies are filled with 'bald' actors now in prime rolls...

John Travolta

Larry Fine.

Bruce Willis.

Sean Connery

Billy Zane.

Vin Diesel.

Jason Statham.

et al.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

It's hard man, because if eventually I'll become bald I'll probably be more insecure and more depressed. Even with my full hair right now I can't accept myself and now that I became self-conscious of this problem, it's becoming worse, it's like a bomb, you don't know if it's gonna explode or not. I am still a teen.

Here's a pic.
http://i.imgur.com/nP7F5LY.jpg

If it makes you feel better you look like a regular guy, no need to be self conscious.

I'm a Jackass on the h forums, I'm also drunk, and I'm still saying this, I'm not lying to you, chill the f*ck out.

jln22
  • jln22

Call me Julian

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:19 PM Edited by jln22, 11 October 2013 - 02:28 PM.

What you mean by regular guy?

No, I mean my hair's okay, like a regular guy's?

MIGta
  • MIGta

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

Normal!

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Can anyone recommend a really good, quality sounding set of headphones?

My requirements are deep bass, deep bass, and deep bass. I've sampled the Beats by Dre headsets, and they sound amazing. But I'm a cheap bastard, so I'm not prepared to pay those prices.

Any just-as-good sets out there that don't molest my wallet?

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

When did the (somewhat based in fact) old wives tale of the baldness gene being passed down from the mother's side stop being relayed?

Look at your mother's father...that is where you get your hair from.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

Is there any way to delete some of the default applications of the Ipod, such as the Game Center or the Stock Market app?

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:46 AM

When did the (somewhat based in fact) old wives tale of the baldness gene being passed down from the mother's side stop being relayed?

I don't think it has stopped. It started around 1916 by a 'Scientific Paper' (one reason to not trust Scientists) and as long as people will believe it it will continue to be repeated.

References:

http://www.webmd.com...baldness-on-mom

http://health.usnews...-about-baldness

http://www.twinshair...-hereditary.htm

http://www.bernstein...-loss/genetics/

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:55 AM

Didn't want to create a topic for this, so I'm posting it here:

Q: What should I do when I get into a fight?

Yeah, I generally stand up for myself when it gets physical, but what to do if the other person brings along his "contacts" to beat me? I don't have such "contacts".

Yeah, I am fully aware of the fact that these kinds of fights are downright childish and absolutely nothing in the bigger picture, but we need to stay in the present for things like these.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:10 AM

I don't think it has stopped. It started around 1916 by a 'Scientific Paper' (one reason to not trust Scientists) and as long as people will believe it it will continue to be repeated.

And you are using references to scientific research as evidence? How does that fit into your little world?

Whatever else may be going on, scientists are going to have a much better idea about what's going on in their area of expertise than you do. If you actually understand something about the branch of science in question, you can read the recent publications and have a much better idea of what is currently known. But if you do not bother to do that, or if you just plain can't understand these papers, then saying "to not trust Scientists" is the most idiotic advice you can give.

First learn something about what you are talking about, then talk about it. Don't just spew your nonsense when you are as clueless as everyone else.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

Didn't want to create a topic for this, so I'm posting it here:
Q: What should I do when I get into a fight?
 Yeah, I generally stand up for myself when it gets physical, but what to do if the other person brings along his "contacts" to beat me? I don't have such "contacts".

Yeah, I am fully aware of the fact that these kinds of fights are downright childish and absolutely nothing in the bigger picture, but we need to stay in the present for things like these.

Learn some Muay Thai and beat their ass.
  • Ferocious Banger likes this

jln22
  • jln22

Call me Julian

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

How comes I get my grandfather's gene?

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:50 PM Edited by trip, 12 October 2013 - 12:50 PM.

How comes I get my grandfather's gene?

source: http://www.twinshair...-hereditary.htm

Each person gets one-half of their genetic make-up from their mother and the other half from their father. There are two chromosomes, X and Y. Each person has a set of two chromosomes: males are XY and females are XX. When a child is conceived, the mother contributes an X chromosome, and the father contributes either the X chromosome or the Y chromosome. It is the X chromosome that contains the gene for male pattern baldness.

A certain variant of the androgen receptor (AR) gene, on the X chromosome, is needed for androgenetic alopecia (AGA), or premature male pattern baldness, to progress. This specific gene is recessive, and the female would need to have both X chromosomes with the variant, or else she would pass on the dominant gene which would preclude male baldness

Something to read more then be relayed.  I doubt I could relay the whole X Y thing along with basic genetics.  Its early  and I'm still on my first cup of coffee.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

It's more complicated than that. There is more than one gene on more than one chromosome that contributes, and how the genes contribute can depend on imprinting, which can be different on mother's and father's side.

Some of the genes involved are X-linked, which makes it statistically more likely for you to lose your hair if your maternal grandfather did, but there are a lot of other factors.

Edit: Aha, here we go, from an actual research article in a peer-reviewed publication, "Adjusting for age, men whose fathers had hair loss were 2.5 times as likely to have had some level of hair loss compared to men whose fathers had no hair loss (95% CI: 1.3–4.9)." - L. Peuvrel et al., Dermatology 2004;209:33–39

But again, this points to there being other factors, and even if you have genetic predisposition to hair loss, there are things you can do about it.

Now, I have two grandfathers and a father who have all gone bald early. So I was not the least bit surprised when my hair started rapidly receding at 20. But I never really had any objections to that, either.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Generic GTA Username

• Members
  • India

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

Looks fine now. And what to worry about. It seems the movies are filled with 'bald' actors now in prime rolls...

John Travolta

Larry Fine.

Bruce Willis.

Sean Connery

Billy Zane.

Vin Diesel.

Jason Statham.

et al.

What the hell are you talking about?

Bull12345Bull
  • Bull12345Bull

Criminally Insane

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:59 PM Edited by Bull12345Bull, 12 October 2013 - 01:59 PM.

Do we have to report posts that bump year-old threads for no reason?

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Generic GTA Username

• Members
  • India

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

As long as they've got something constructive to add, no. 

jln22
  • jln22

Call me Julian

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:59 PM Edited by jln22, 12 October 2013 - 06:06 PM.

It's more complicated than that. There is more than one gene on more than one chromosome that contributes, and how the genes contribute can depend on imprinting, which can be different on mother's and father's side.

Some of the genes involved are X-linked, which makes it statistically more likely for you to lose your hair if your maternal grandfather did, but there are a lot of other factors.

Edit: Aha, here we go, from an actual research article in a peer-reviewed publication, "Adjusting for age, men whose fathers had hair loss were 2.5 times as likely to have had some level of hair loss compared to men whose fathers had no hair loss (95% CI: 1.3–4.9)." - L. Peuvrel et al., Dermatology 2004;209:33–39

But again, this points to there being other factors, and even if you have genetic predisposition to hair loss, there are things you can do about it.

Now, I have two grandfathers and a father who have all gone bald early. So I was not the least bit surprised when my hair started rapidly receding at 20. But I never really had any objections to that, either.

My father and his father went bald. My mother and her father didn't.

My father and his father had curly hair. My mother and her father had straight hair (not sure about her father tho). I have straight hair.

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

@lil weasel

John Travolta's bald? 

John-Travolta_Oscars-2013-afterparty.jpg

The f*ck is that stuff on top of his noggin' then? His wife's muff?

I just noticed GTA-King is banned. Seemed like a nice enough fellow. The f*ck happened? Was it his repeated gif posting that got him the boot? 

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Hmm?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

I just noticed GTA-King is banned. Seemed like a nice enough fellow. The f*ck happened? Was it his repeated gif posting that got him the boot?

He made a thread basically saying he was sorry that he had been such a troll but at least he "felt alive" (hence his user title) while being so. I think it was Otter who banned him for 81 days or something like that. There is usually some strange story behind threads like that that I never understand and maybe that's the case here too but that's what got him banned anyway.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

Could it be possible to get approved for a mortgage with no credit history? I'm 19 years old and I have been looking at some cheap houses in my area. Because my area is relatively poor and not exactly the most desirable place to live You can get decent sized houses in good shape for cheap. Like $130k-$150k and they are on the market for an average of like a year before they get sold so it isn't like I'm facing stiff competition in getting one. But my only concern is that no bank would give a loan to a young guy with no credit history. Even though I could easily make the monthly payments and would probably end up paying off the house in way less than the 30 years on the mortgage.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

No credit history is definitely going to hurt you, but so long as you have proof of stable employment, you should be able to get something. The rate won't be good, but if you plan to make higher payments, that won't hurt you too much. Just make sure the mortgage you get allows for early payment without penalty.

One thing you can do to improve your chances is get credit cards. Two seems to be the magic number these days. Single credit line is typically considered insufficient, and more than two is kind of questionable. But having two credit cards tends to improve your chances of getting credit for everything else from car to a house. And if you use these cards for small shopping, you can start building that credit history.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

Getting approved is really the only thing I'm worried about. Because even if I got a crappy rate the payments would still be manageable for a house that cheap. But I'm not sure I may have to just go and speak to a bank to find out exactly. And especially since my mother will be basically renting from me for the first 7-10 years I owned the house and making 50% of the payment (but not consigning on the loan) that would ease the payments a little when I'm first starting out.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

See if there are any credit unions you would qualify for. They tend to be much more open towards people with no credit score. Since they are more community-oriented, they tend to look more at what you can actually afford and not just some number next to your name.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:52 PM Edited by lil weasel, 12 October 2013 - 09:56 PM.

@lil weasel

John Travolta's bald? 

John-Travolta_Oscars-2013-afterparty.jpg

The <>  is that stuff on top of his noggin' then? His wife's muff?

http://www.hishairclinic.com/john-travolta-hair-systems-and-hair-loss-concealers/

bad-facial-hair-john-travolta.jpg

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:29 AM

Okay, help me with this: I already have a fivehead to begin with; but my top and the hairline has been receding quite a bit. I need some beard to sport a buzzcut ( I don't have a broad jaw ) but I don't have any proper beard at the moment, even the I'm 19. Right now, I'm combing my hair from everywhere down towards my brows but that easily gets messed up whenever the wind hits. Any ideas? Any tips?

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

Use a gel to glue it down. Or wear a cap, it worked for Bing Crosby.

• Ferocious Banger likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

Why the hell does my finger feel like it's been cut off with a jigsaw? I'm just sitting here all chill one minute and the next, my middle finger on my right hand feels like it's being cut off right near where the finger meets the rest of the hand. Now, the pain moved upwards, to where it feels like the middle part of my finger got cut off. It's weird how I seem to know how it feels to have a finger cut off, especially considering that I never lost any fingers, to my knowledge.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:28 AM

@lil weasel

John Travolta's bald? 

b89ea5d7-c9f8-46bc-ba55-cdaefeda6039.jpg

The f*ck is that stuff on top of his noggin' then? His wife's muff?

Actually, it is his wife's muff, this is his real hair, someone got it when he was on holiday.
110224_travolta.jpg

Question of my own
I was considering changing my username to just "Finn". Should I bother?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users