• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22,856 replies to this topic
Valenta
  • Valenta

True hope is swift.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 21:00)
found it:
user posted image

Some things you'll never live down, this being a stellar example.

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:19 PM

I don't know what you guys are talking about, that kid is a boss, and will slash your throat (if necessary).

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:34 PM

Why does reddit seem to have such a mob mentality, which can change very quickly to suit their situation? I know people in general are prone to following the crowd, but (most subs with high subs) they can start witch-hunts for seemingly little reason at all, hate opinions and agree on what's right even if there's no proof/it's obviously wrong, but the majority say it's right (linking with witch-hunts). It's a really obvious phenomenon on the default subs, and I don't really know why; I don't see other large sites having this sort of community.

(reminds me of the Kaiser Chiefs' lyric "we are the angry mob, we read the papers every day/we like who we like, we hate who we hate but we're also easily swayed")

Valenta
  • Valenta

True hope is swift.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Anyone noticed the color change to the Subscribe button on Youtube? It's went from white and red to just all over red:
user posted image

Android
  • Android

Powerful

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (Valenta @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 23:49)
Anyone noticed the color change to the Subscribe button on Youtube? It's went from white and red to just all over red:
user posted image

That's cool, I didn't notice it because I have Stylish on.

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (RedDaggerXL @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 19:34)
Why does reddit seem to have such a mob mentality, which can change very quickly to suit their situation? I know people in general are prone to following the crowd, but (most subs with high subs) they can start witch-hunts for seemingly little reason at all, hate opinions and agree on what's right even if there's no proof/it's obviously wrong, but the majority say it's right (linking with witch-hunts). It's a really obvious phenomenon on the default subs, and I don't really know why; I don't see other large sites having this sort of community.

If I had to guess I'd say there are a huge amount of redditors who do nothing but upvote what they agree on. Then all the talky redditors see all dem upvotes and agree even more.

Actually, that's probably not it, but it's all about the karma. If you disagree with the majority of reddit your opinion is going to be pushed to the bottom, and some people are so scared of this that they don't talk unless they're talking along with everyone else.

To combat this you can sort the comments by "controversial" which gives you the comments closest to having equal upvotes and downvotes, and avoid using the karma system.

@Valenta - yes and it's really tacky and I hate it. Whoever's in charge of design better get their sh*t together real soon. confused.gif

Valenta
  • Valenta

True hope is swift.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (zoo3891 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 00:17)
@Valenta - yes and it's really tacky and I hate it. Whoever's in charge of design better get their sh*t together real soon. confused.gif

I'm not a fan either. Sticks out too much against the white around it. I'm hoping it's temporary.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (Valenta @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 10:49)
user posted image

I did notice, the more maroon one looked nicer, but this one stands out more probably to make more people subscribe.

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

Dear Brits, I need a detailed explanation on British media...

I know the big papers, The Daily Mail, The Telegraph, The Guardian, but which one leans to what direction (right/left-wing) and which ones are good journalism, which ones are tabloids. I tend to read some of them online but am never sure if I'm reading utter sh*t or good media. Also, as for The Sun, it's a tabloid, correct?

As for the television news outlets? BBC, SkyNews (or whatever it's called), and etc. Which ones are trustworthy? I tend to visit the BBC website quite often.

Please make your descriptions as clearly and detailed as possible. I don't want to keep sounding like a knob when I say "Well, I have read this on -insert sh*tty newspaper here-." Thanks in advance!!! cookie.gif

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:09 AM Edited by epoxi, 11 July 2013 - 01:56 AM.

All newspapers (in the UK at least) I have slowly discovered to be unreliable sources of nonsense. The Daily Mail is a right-wing leaning bottom rung of 'journalism' making cartoonishly outrageous articles against immigration and government welfare policy, or spewing whatever sensationalist tat they can cook up. Take absolutely nothing you read in the Daily Mail seriously, quoting it can make you look silly depending on your audience.

More respected newspapers include The Telegraph, which is right wing, and The Guardian, which is left wing. I say they are more 'respected' because they are written in a less sensationalist way, but having read both I find they are only interested in perpetuating the views their readers want to hear by telling the one side of the story, omitting important details. The Times is just the same.

Sky News, dubbed "The Daily Mail for people who can't read." by comedian Jason Manford, is just that. Sky News leans to the right, but will complain about just about anything to fill airtime and get their viewers all riled up.

It is worth noting that the Daily Mail, The Times, The Sun, The Guardian, The Telegraph, Sky News and ex-newspaper The Mirror are all part of Rupert Murdoch's media empire. Thus one should always be wary about their political or corporate agenda.

The BBC is one of the most trustworthy news sources on the planet, but still isn't perfect. For instance, I find some BBC News reporting to be somewhat judgemental especially when discussing the policies of developing countries often speaking in the sort of tone "Why can't they grow up do it like we do here in the UK?" Unfortunately I can't substantiate this at the moment but I have experienced it a number of times.

However to counterbalance this I find the level of discussion on BBC programmes like "Newsnight" and "This Week" shows BBC journalists are thoughtful, balanced professionals, and indicate to me that maybe BBC News is a more simplified, marketable form of the BBC's information designed to compete with other 24/7 news channels.

That's my cynical, but in my opinion accurate, description of the matter.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 10:26)
user posted image

I did notice, the more maroon one looked nicer, but this one stands out more probably to make more people subscribe.

To me it looks like it is telling me I have already subscribed, the red is indicating that.

Valenta
  • Valenta

True hope is swift.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 01:09)
All newspapers (in the UK at least) I have slowly discovered to be unreliable sources of nonsense. The Daily Mail is a right-wing leaning bottom rung of 'journalism' making cartoonishly outrageous articles against immigration and government welfare policy, or whatever sensationalist tat they can cook up. Take absolutely nothing you read in the Daily Mail seriously, quoting it can make you look silly depending on your audience.

More respected newspapers include The Telegraph, which is right wing, and The Guardian, which is left wing. I say they are more 'respected' because they are written in a less sensationalist way, but having read both I find they are only interested in perpetuating the views their readers want to hear by telling the one side of the story that aligns with their views, omitting important details. The Times is just the same.

Sky News, dubbed "The Daily Mail for people who can't read." by comedian Jason Manford, is just that. Sky News leans to the right, but will complain about just about anything to fill airtime and get their viewers all riled up.

It is worth noting that the Daily Mail, The Times, The Sun, The Guardian, The Telegraph, Sky News and ex-newspaper The Mirror are all part of Rupert Murdoch's media empire. Thus one should always be wary about their political or corporate agenda.

The BBC is one of the most trustworthy news sources on the planet, but still isn't perfect. For instance, I find some BBC News reporting to be somewhat judgemental especially when discussing the policies of developing countries often speaking in the sort of tone "Why can't they grow up do it like we do here in the UK?" Unfortunately I can't substantiate this at the moment but I have experienced it a number of times.

However to counterbalance this I find the level of discussion on BBC programmes like "Newsnight" and "This Week" shows BBC journalists are thoughtful, balanced professionals, and indicate to me that maybe BBC News is a more simplified, marketable form of the BBC's information designed to compete with other 24/7 news channels.

That's my cynical, but in my opinion accurate, description of the matter.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:37 AM

Thanks for the thorough analysis, epoxi. cookie.gif icon14.gif As well as the confirmation by Valenta. biggrin.gif

I agree with your view on BBC News and enjoyed your opinion on the Murdoch empire. Although I was really unaware that the Daily Mail, The Telegraph, The Times (which I forgot to mention in my original question), and the Guardian (and a few other mentioned) were owned by Murdoch. I was only aware of the Sky network and the Sun. It is quite a shame that such an important developed "nation" (don't really wanna say "Kingdom") as the UK lacks in quality journalism and is controlled by a single media mogul.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (fgcarva1 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 02:37)
It is quite a shame that such an important developed "nation" (don't really wanna say "Kingdom") as the UK lacks in quality journalism and is controlled by a single media mogul.

It used to worry me, but I can of course just not read these newspapers, luckily with the internet and hundreds of competing news channels from all over the world (ironically provided via Murdoch's Sky satellite TV), there is always enough information to (cautiously) piece together the full story.

If people want to stop living in a world ruled by media moguls, the first step they should take is to stop buying their products.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE (fgcarva1 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 01:37)
It is quite a shame that such an important developed "nation" (don't really wanna say "Kingdom") as the UK lacks in quality journalism and is controlled by a single media mogul.

For being the most popular news source the BBC does a good job of quality journalism, as epoxi said the other options being generally okay at best, but the more popular newspapers (daily mail and the sun) being laughable for conveying news professionally. It's good enough tounge.gif

@zoo3891 yeah, that does make sense. combining that with the demographic of university-age people makes sense. Not in a good way, mind.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 01:34)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 10:26)
user posted image

To me it looks like it is telling me I have already subscribed, the red is indicating that.

Yeah i agree with that, if you have subscribed the button turns white and kind of greys out, and just says "unsubscribe" on it. Youtube change sh*t up nearly as much as Facebook.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Generic GTA Username

• Members
  • India

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (tms_junk @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 01:21)
Not sure if anyone remembers this, but for me it is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on GTAF. There was a guy here called Nathan i believe (Not his full username) And he received his fair share of teasing at the hands of the more established members, because quite frankly he was a bit of a tit.

Anyway after a while he posted an image on here, holding a knife saying "I just don't give a f*ck anymore" Does anyone remember or know where the link is too that whole saga? Was hilarious.

Sorry but what was the whole fiasco about? Can someone explain?

@Sivi: He's been inactive for a year not a week, look closely at his recent activity it says 2012 not 2013.

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 22:21)
Not sure if anyone remembers this, but for me it is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on GTAF. There was a guy here called Nathan i believe (Not his full username) And he received his fair share of teasing at the hands of the more established members, because quite frankly he was a bit of a tit.

Anyway after a while he posted an image on here, holding a knife saying "I just don't give a f*ck anymore" Does anyone remember or know where the link is too that whole saga? Was hilarious.

Why does it matter? So you can bring it up at every opportunity to demonstrate how much you know about the forum?

He was a little turd bag, end of.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Generic GTA Username

• Members
  • India

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 16:58)

Why does it matter? So you can bring it up at every opportunity to demonstrate how much you know about the forum?

I'm just curious to know why, that's all. I always thought looking through his recent posts he seemed like a cool guy, so I just wanted to know why the picture turned into a huge controversy.

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:35 AM Edited by rudy., 11 July 2013 - 11:43 AM.

By the looks of him, he seem like one of those 12 y/o's who got bullied the sh*t outta him both at school and on internet.

Finally, he decided to commit suicide, and end his life for good so he bought a knife and turned on live streaming, in hopes to become the next Amanda Todd. But then, he thought "Nah, it'll pain a lot" and abandoned the suicide idea.

Methinks.

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 22:32)

I'm just curious to know why, that's all. I always thought looking through his recent posts he seemed like a cool guy, so I just wanted to know why the picture turned into a huge controversy.

Who knows why really, perhaps his dad just died. He was a little douchebag at times anyway, we didn't really like him all that much.

Witchking Of Angmar
  • Witchking Of Angmar

One Ring to rule them all.

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 12:07)

Who knows why really, perhaps his dad just died. He was a little douchebag at times anyway, we didn't really like him all that much.

you didn't like him so you guys bullied him? wow nice guys aren't you

LolBurn
  • LolBurn

Thug

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

wat happened to zee

Android
  • Android

Powerful

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (gtafan899 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 12:26)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 12:07)

you didn't like him so you guys bullied him? wow nice guys aren't you

Holy sh*t, will you guys calm down? Maybe he was depressed, don't jump to conclusions.

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:15 PM Edited by NCONiall, 11 July 2013 - 07:18 PM.

QUOTE (LolBurn @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 20:11)
wat happened to zee

Banned for quite obvious reasons.

QUOTE (Andrew)
No, we lost a extremely negative member, who attacked Staff and members. Good riddance.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (LolBurn @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 19:11)
wat happened to zee

He got banned months ago, for obvious reasons tounge.gif

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

I've been having issues connecting to RDR and GTA IV on my XBOX lately... while I am on the loading screen I can hear people speaking and such, but then it disconnects me due to connection problems. I am pretty sure it's a NAT issue as I can host my own games fine and anyone can join them. I can also connect fine to Battlefield 3 lobbies and etc.

I already did the whole "Test XBOX Live connection" thing where supposedly a screen would come up and tell me what my NAT settings are, but it just says my XBL connection is fine. I tried port forwarding according to the guide on portforward.com but just don't know why this is happening. Any help?

Nebby
  • Nebby

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (fgcarva1 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 16:23)
I've been having issues connecting to RDR and GTA IV on my XBOX lately... while I am on the loading screen I can hear people speaking and such, but then it disconnects me due to connection problems. I am pretty sure it's a NAT issue as I can host my own games fine and anyone can join them. I can also connect fine to Battlefield 3 lobbies and etc.

I already did the whole "Test XBOX Live connection" thing where supposedly a screen would come up and tell me what my NAT settings are, but it just says my XBL connection is fine. I tried port forwarding according to the guide on portforward.com but just don't know why this is happening. Any help?

Could you possibly use an ethernet cord? I used to have the worst NAT problems with my PS3 until I gave up and used a line connection which did the trick.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

I had issues like that before fgcarva, I ended up port-fowarding and all that, it worked.

Do you have uPnP enabled in your router?

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:36 PM Edited by fgcarva1, 11 July 2013 - 08:39 PM.

QUOTE (Method @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 17:28)
QUOTE (fgcarva1 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 16:23)

Could you possibly use an ethernet cord? I used to have the worst NAT problems with my PS3 until I gave up and used a line connection which did the trick.

Here's how my internet works. I plug an ethernet cable from the router straight into the wall, hence I do not use a modem, just a straight up router which i need to have internet in the rest of the house. I connect my XBOX to the router via ethernet cable, although I also have an XBOX wireless adapter, could that make things better?

@Gunwrath, I can't seem to find where to enable UPnP on my router (link sys) settings.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users