Photo

X-Games 17

11 replies to this topic
fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:07 PM

Well, the X-Games is starting on TV right now. It's the time of year where I spend three days locked in my room stunned at what the athletes are able to do.

What most stuns be about the X-Games is that it can be extremely entertaining for both people who are interested and know action sports, or those who are not too sure about it.

The event is extremely amazing. What the athletes do is much greater thanwhat many other sports athletes do.

Where else do you see an athlete fall down from 30 feet high and survive, while also getting up and walking away.

Note: I like how Tony Hawk says "I can't believe he nailed that 720." after seeing him fall. tounge2.gif

Where else do you see an athlete nail a huge trick down a Meg-Ramp and get the Silver medal after having bailing and breaking both legs 15 minutes earlier.

I guess the reason I love the X-Games so much is because there is no other sports event in the world that makes me get off my seat and say "Oh my God!" or just the usual "OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH sh*t!, I can't believe he nailed that!"

So please share your opinion on X-Games 17.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:20 AM

You have a cold heart if you don't at least want to shed a tear when Bob Burnquist broke down and cried when he won gold, after Danny Way took that fall, and got right back up for his next run. The dude was broken and beaten, and still climbed that ramp, and threw down a silver (some say gold) medal run. And Bob knew that. To me, it's at least my second favorite moment in sports history. (it's hard to top top your favorite hockey team winning the stanley cup for the first time).

Anyway, I watched the day one events. I love the Skateboard park, it really brings the sport back to judging on style and not just technicality of tricks, even though that's still a huge part. Moto X step up is always fun for me, as is best trick and best whip. BMX big air was kind of boring, no one was landing anything, so I stopped watching. I'm still excited for Rally, and skateboard street, vert and big air. I wish they still did skateboard vert best trick and doubles. Anyone remember when Tony Hawk and a very young Shaun White were doing doubles and Tony fell on and knocked Shaun unconscious. I can't find the video on youtube.

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:42 AM

I completely agree with you. I am Brazilian so I eventually cheer for Burnquist, but I love Danny Way as well. That had to be one of the greatest moments in X-Games history because I truly felt like Bob wanted Danny Way to take the Gold. From the look he had I think he felt like he was not worthy of beating a guy who with two broken ankles, or whatever he broke, still had 2 (or 3) amazing runs.
This is the moment you're talking about, that has to be the best Skateboarding Big Air event in X history.

I actually don't quite remember the White/Hawk doubles thing. And tried googling it but didn't find it.

The BMX Big Air was pretty dull, the level of quality this year was inferior to previous years. I'm really excited about everything, especially Skateboarding Big-Air. It brings the most incredible moments in X. Skateboarding Park showed some new talents like that Pedro Barros kid who won last year ay 15 and the rookie who's name I forgot who won Gold this year. Vert will be great this year as well!

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

I used to love the X games! haven't watched it since about 2003/04. Always more into the BMX then anything else, went threw a stage of trying my hand at extreme sports!

Ill have to check this out and see if its as good as i remember!

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

It's better haha. Athletes are stepping things up every year. Worth watching.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:19 AM

For a long time now, I've not considered Shaun White a real skateboarder. He would skate like he's on a snowboard and with little style. Gradually, he's changed my mind, he throws more flip tricks, and has really impressed me. And tonight I'm blown away by the run he just threw down. Absolutely amazing.

Also cool to see Nyjah get gold. I still can't believe he's only 16.

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:48 AM

Well, unfortunately I missed my favorite competitions because I was at a friend's and we didn't watch the X-Games. sad.gif I guess you've spoiled it for me haha! But yeah I still don't really consider White a real skateboarder. He's good and all, but he's not a real skateboarder.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

Shaun White's run was definitely the highlight of the games this year. But I also had a good time watching Rally Cross, and spotting the Stig in the pits.

They really need to expand the games to where they were before. It seems like it's too tailored for TV now a days. They do commercials in the middle of jam sessions! Even if they are elimination and semi final rounds it's like taking a commercial break in the middle of an inning in baseball, or during a football game without the TV timeout. I miss Vert doubles and best trick. I mean the moment that defined the X-games happened in Skateboard vert best trick, when Tony Hawk did his 900, and it didn't even count, because he took far too many attempts. That wouldn't happen now a days. Now they would cut him off before he did it, and we'd be watching sports center or some baseball game while he did it with the cameras off. Sure there were some boring sports they used to have, like climbing, Bungie jumping, and sky surfing. But what about wake boarding, surfing, BMX dirt? These all have an audience, and aren't too bad to watch. (although I doubt surfing has much of an audience in the US outside of California).

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

They said I could be anything, so I became a custom member title

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

Time flies, Nyjah got f*cking huge compared to when I first saw him.

Not X-games really, but who saw that dude triple-backflip on a BMX?

Sh*t was f*cking insane.

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Tuesday, Aug 2 2011, 16:50)
Shaun White's run was definitely the highlight of the games this year. But I also had a good time watching Rally Cross, and spotting the Stig in the pits.

They really need to expand the games to where they were before. It seems like it's too tailored for TV now a days. They do commercials in the middle of jam sessions! Even if they are elimination and semi final rounds it's like taking a commercial break in the middle of an inning in baseball, or during a football game without the TV timeout. I miss Vert doubles and best trick. I mean the moment that defined the X-games happened in Skateboard vert best trick, when Tony Hawk did his 900, and it didn't even count, because he took far too many attempts. That wouldn't happen now a days. Now they would cut him off before he did it, and we'd be watching sports center or some baseball game while he did it with the cameras off. Sure there were some boring sports they used to have, like climbing, Bungie jumping, and sky surfing. But what about wake boarding, surfing, BMX dirt? These all have an audience, and aren't too bad to watch. (although I doubt surfing has much of an audience in the US outside of California).

This. It's not so much a sports event that was basically some homies chilling and doing what they do best. Sure, the athletes are still there having fun, but the Red Bull caps and commercials sure have made a negative impact on the Games. What I didn't like is that at times two events would be happening at once so you missed the other event. e.g. Watching RallyCross while BMX Vert is going on and missing the first few runs which were amazing... it truly disappointed me.

@*MURDOC* I think you mean he double back-flipped on Moto-X or the double front flips on BMX.

Here are some highlights I chose. Feel free to post your own highlights.

gta_player5
  • gta_player5

Platinum Plus

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE (fgcarva1 @ Tuesday, Aug 2 2011, 23:36)
@*MURDOC* I think you mean he double back-flipped on Moto-X or the double front flips on BMX.

No, I think he means a BMX triple back flip.

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:35 AM

Oh, I misread the "Not X-Games really" part. tounge.gif I thought he was talking about some triple backflips at the X-Games haha!

Also, is there an Action Sports thread otherwise I was thinking of making one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users