Photo

My visit to the United States 2011

48 replies to this topic
Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

I'm flattered that this thread is still remembered. turn.gif Here are some more pictures from Shaky Town. smile.gif
1965 (I think?) Dodge Dart.
user posted image

Gorgeous MKIII Continental.
user posted image

user posted image

One of my favourite cars. 1975-79 Cadillac Seville.
user posted image

Early 60's T-bird.
user posted image

Seeing this Nova was just way cool. Behind the wheel of this MINT 60's Nova is an elderly couple whom I would guess have owned the car all their life. Seeing that stuff just doesn't happen in Sweden.
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Can anyone help me ID this?
user posted image

Could do without the wheels, but the rest of this '56 looks fantastic.
user posted image

user posted image

I think this is a mid 50's Packard.
user posted image

This was taken on North Commonwealth Avenue, leading up to the Hollywood Sign. This 1975-76 Fleetwood Brougham looked great, and there was another black one in the driveway.
user posted image

N. Commonwealth Ave. Early 60's Mopar.
user posted image

Illousion
  • Illousion

• The Connection

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

N. Commonwealth Ave. How often do you see a pickup truck this old looking this great?
user posted image

user posted image

Look at the fins of this late 50's Mopar. Way cool!
user posted image

Mid 60's Nova, blackplate in mint condition.
user posted image

I think this is a Rolls Royce Corniche.
user posted image

Seeing this Crown Victoria was just great. An exact copy of my parents car.
user posted image

user posted image
There's some more for you. smile.gif

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

It baffles me how you have all these beautiful Rivieras, a cigar T-bird, a super clean bagged 55 Caddy, and all those sweet 50's and 60's vehicles, yet the 1st gen Seville that's nothing more than a rebadged Nova is your favorite?

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Lurch @ Sunday, Mar 4 2012, 14:37)
It baffles me how you have all these beautiful Rivieras, a cigar T-bird, a super clean bagged 55 Caddy, and all those sweet 50's and 60's vehicles, yet the 1st gen Seville that's nothing more than a rebadged Nova is your favorite?

Yeah, I feel the same way as you do Lurch. They must have some pretty sh*tty cars if cars like that Caddy are consider "good".

Illousion
  • Illousion

• The Connection

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

Hey, what can I say? The first-gen Seville is a gorgeous, elegant car that I really like. The design language just works for me. Aside from that, my family drove a first-gen Seville during the first years of my life which I suppose has had some effect.

I like the older US-cars aswell, but it's the 1973+ ones that I'm really hooked on. Sure, they're slow and weak with their smogged engines and the quality control was crap but that's not important to me, it's not what I look for when I'm in the market for a car. It's the ultra-cushy ride, and the simple square design that you just don't find on the early 60's and older cars.

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (Illousion @ Sunday, Mar 4 2012, 15:59)

Look at the fins of this late 50's Mopar. Way cool!
user posted image

Seeing that bewing'd ricebox parked next door gives me an idea; Imagine blending a wing in between the Chrysler's fins!

Runs & Hides

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (Illousion @ Monday, Mar 5 2012, 05:14)
Hey, what can I say? The first-gen Seville is a gorgeous, elegant car that I really like. The design language just works for me. Aside from that, my family drove a first-gen Seville during the first years of my life which I suppose has had some effect.

I like the older US-cars aswell, but it's the 1973+ ones that I'm really hooked on. Sure, they're slow and weak with their smogged engines and the quality control was crap but that's not important to me, it's not what I look for when I'm in the market for a car. It's the ultra-cushy ride, and the simple square design that you just don't find on the early 60's and older cars.

someone gets it icon14.gif

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (Illousion @ Sunday, Mar 4 2012, 16:14)
It's the ultra-cushy ride, and the simple square design that you just don't find on the early 60's and older cars.

Ever compare the older cars to the 70's ones? They're softer. Like incredibly floaty soft. When my friend's Galaxy was still on radial's, it had a softer, cushier ride than his 90's Town Car and Fleetwood that both had air ride, as well as any other post downsize caddy I've ridden in (quite a few late 70's and 80's Devilles and Fleetwoods), and his 84 and 88 town cars. His 83 Mk. VI rode better but it had some super soft leather seats and fairly similar spring rates for the suspension.

Once you get to about 53 or so, American cars start to get pretty soft, so I'm going to call that reasoning for the 73+ a bit null and void. They are really square though....Like no imagination in the designs.

Pavlov
  • Pavlov

For your eyes only

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:41 PM Edited by Pavlov, 08 March 2012 - 03:50 PM.

Lurch, I like them too.
Even though I am older than each one of you (Sebastian, Calle and you), I am really fond of malaise-era cars that are not so malaise (the real malaise is something really unattractive, boring, with weird bodywork, see Mustang foxes, see Caddy Cimarron). It's not about the ride, hell it is not about the size itself (legroom on the backseat of a Caprice 73 Wagon is awful, car is 5.50 meters long), it's about the general feel of the pompous baroque put into square shapes that characterized the US designs of production cars in that time, it is the modern era (1930-1960) consumerism adapted to the difficult times of 70 and 80s. I guess the stuff I was seeing in the TV when I was a kid also impacts on my judgement, we were fed with images of a world that we didn't live in (the america of the 70s and 80s), but that was much more available to us than black and white movies from the 50s or the generational change movies from the 60s. The reasons why we like these cars are not objective, but are lost in an anthropological process our culture was build upon (even though we are talking about Sweden, China, and Poland - hey, hey American dream). As an American, you are more keen looking into the real US automotive heritage (i.e. older cars from the 50s and 60s).

swolo yaggins
  • swolo yaggins

#bhq

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (Lurch @ Saturday, Jul 30 2011, 19:02)
Probably because Detroit sucks.

SuperBowl commercials can't make Detroit cool.

AWESOME PIX ILL

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (Pavlov @ Thursday, Mar 8 2012, 23:41)
Lurch, I like them too.
Even though I am older than each one of you (Sebastian, Calle and you), I am really fond of malaise-era cars that are not so malaise (the real malaise is something really unattractive, boring, with weird bodywork, see Mustang foxes, see Caddy Cimarron). It's not about the ride, hell it is not about the size itself (legroom on the backseat of a Caprice 73 Wagon is awful, car is 5.50 meters long), it's about the general feel of the pompous baroque put into square shapes that characterized the US designs of production cars in that time, it is the modern era (1930-1960) consumerism adapted to the difficult times of 70 and 80s. I guess the stuff I was seeing in the TV when I was a kid also impacts on my judgement, we were fed with images of a world that we didn't live in (the america of the 70s and 80s), but that was much more available to us than black and white movies from the 50s or the generational change movies from the 60s. The reasons why we like these cars are not objective, but are lost in an anthropological process our culture was build upon (even though we are talking about Sweden, China, and Poland - hey, hey American dream). As an American, you are more keen looking into the real US automotive heritage (i.e. older cars from the 50s and 60s).

very well said pav icon14.gif

everyone here ridicules my fondness for the DTS, but for me its not about the ride (way too soft which means i have to slow way down when cornering) or space (surprisingly cramped rear seats for a car that size) or even build quality (excessive wind noise at highway speeds), its about the heritage and "Americaness" of the car. I'm sort of like Garfield 2, I absolutely LOVE the US of A (love the country, not the gov't or foreign policy). First thing my friends said when I rolled up in front of their house in my rented DTS was "why are we not surprised?". I've always had a thing for American cars whereas my friends there drive a selection of '06 BMW M3 (manual), '10 Mazda Speed3 (manual), '94 Range Rover. They're more European than I! I'm not stupid, I know the the DTS isn't a great car by any means but it is a car which makes me feel good when I'm behind the wheel, and I think thats all that matters.

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

I want a Caddy CTS-V.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:18 PM Edited by Lurch, 15 March 2012 - 05:24 PM.

QUOTE (Pavlov @ Thursday, Mar 8 2012, 10:41)
Lurch, I like them too.
Even though I am older than each one of you (Sebastian, Calle and you), I am really fond of malaise-era cars that are not so malaise (the real malaise is something really unattractive, boring, with weird bodywork, see Mustang foxes, see Caddy Cimarron). It's not about the ride, hell it is not about the size itself (legroom on the backseat of a Caprice 73 Wagon is awful, car is 5.50 meters long), it's about the general feel of the pompous baroque put into square shapes that characterized the US designs of production cars in that time, it is the modern era (1930-1960) consumerism adapted to the difficult times of 70 and 80s.  I guess the stuff I was seeing in the TV when I was a kid also impacts on my judgement, we were fed with images of a world that we didn't live in (the america of the 70s and 80s), but that was much more available to us than black and white movies from the 50s or the generational change movies from the 60s. The reasons why we like these cars are not objective, but are lost in an anthropological process our culture was build upon (even though we are talking about Sweden, China, and Poland - hey, hey American dream). As an American, you are more keen looking into the real US automotive heritage (i.e. older cars from the 50s and 60s).

I think a lot of us Americans are bitter on that era because it represents the death of our golden age. No more 21 foot long barges (we cut them down to like 19 feet lol) or 7.0-8.2 liter V8's or any of that just overall massive excess that represents America's golden years from the 50's-70's. Instead, the whole smogged, boxed, downsized, small V8, body-sharing era represents the American auto industry slowing dying and losing to the Japs. The beginning of the end I guess.

Pavlov
  • Pavlov

For your eyes only

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

As I stated "it is the modern era (1930-1960) consumerism adapted to the difficult times of 70 and 80s". Well, that's why you guys prefer to look into your heritage cars when the gas was cheap, and no crisis ahead etc. We just prefer cars our vision of america was build upon (if I try to simplify).

cold blooded
  • cold blooded

OlllllllO

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE (Illousion @ Sunday, Mar 4 2012, 11:57)

Can anyone help me ID this?
user posted image

i believe that is an International Travelall

thecommander
  • thecommander

You can forget about the miscarrige or keep drinking.

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

I notice that you were driving a Lincoln. Was it a Towncar, and how did you like it?

Illousion
  • Illousion

• The Connection

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (thecommander @ Monday, May 14 2012, 06:27)
I notice that you were driving a Lincoln. Was it a Towncar, and how did you like it?

2009 Town Car. Fantastic vehicle, I liked it very much. Super comfortable.

Garfield 2
  • Garfield 2

BMW Maniac

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

Any other pictures, Il?

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:19 PM Edited by fatal1ty619, 20 May 2012 - 11:06 PM.

OP:
You should move to the US. A lot more options here. I would not recommend California, though. The amount of traffic there means it has some of the strictest vehicle regulations of any state (if not the strictest). In Ohio, most cars are legal, as long as they, basically, have working lights, hood, and don't blow smoke. My brother moved to Maryland for the Navy, and, being near D.C., has very strict laws. One rust spot on the wheel well made it unsafe to drive, therefore illegal mercie_blink.gif Should check some different areas for vehicle regulations. Also, insurance here is pretty cheap, and I'm sure gas here is leagues cheaper than in Europe. icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users