[GTA IV] Player Rigging Tutorial

247 replies to this topic
Tomix23
  • Tomix23

Yomo

• Members

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:06 AM

I need help sad.gif When I try to export ODR I get this message:
ERROR::Nothing found inside "feet_000_u" dummy. Cannot export an empty model file!
ERROR::No model meshes found in "feet_000_u" file dummy. Can't export a model without geometry!
ERROR::Nothing found inside "hand_000_r" dummy. Cannot export an empty model file!
ERROR::No model meshes found in "hand_000_r" file dummy. Can't export a model without geometry!
ERROR::Nothing found inside "head_000_r" dummy. Cannot export an empty model file!
ERROR::No model meshes found in "head_000_r" file dummy. Can't export a model without geometry!
ERROR::Nothing found inside "lowr_000_u" dummy. Cannot export an empty model file!
ERROR::No model meshes found in "lowr_000_u" file dummy. Can't export a model without geometry!
ERROR::Nothing found inside "uppr_000_u" dummy. Cannot export an empty model file!
ERROR::No model meshes found in "uppr_000_u" file dummy. Can't export a model without geometry!
ERROR::Nothing found inside "head_000_r" dummy. Cannot export an empty model file!
ERROR::No model meshes found in "head_000_r" file dummy. Can't export a model without geometry!
=====Scene check end=====
Model export failed!
Please help me

IamYouandyouareI
  • IamYouandyouareI

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hey i really dont understand this tut could anybody rig Toni Cipriani to EFLC ?? Here his skin: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F3CG4D6Y I even would pay!

N-field
  • N-field

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (Tomix23 @ Wednesday, Sep 21 2011, 08:06)
ERROR::Nothing found inside "feet_000_u" dummy. Cannot export an empty model file!
ERROR::No model meshes found in "feet_000_u" file dummy. Can't export a model without geometry!
ERROR::Nothing found inside "hand_000_r" dummy. Cannot export an empty model file!
ERROR::No model meshes found in "hand_000_r" file dummy. Can't export a model without geometry!
ERROR::Nothing found inside "lowr_000_u" dummy. Cannot export an empty model file!
ERROR::No model meshes found in "lowr_000_u" file dummy. Can't export a model without geometry!
ERROR::Nothing found inside "uppr_000_u" dummy. Cannot export an empty model file!
ERROR::No model meshes found in "uppr_000_u" file dummy. Can't export a model without geometry!
Model export failed!
Please help me

That is caused by w/e that sh*t is that doesnt get deleted when u delete the meshes n sh*t.....

Go into tools, then New Scene explorer.

Scene explorer is a very nice tool btw

Anyways u just delete every entry that is empty. like feet_000_u and all the other ones... generally delete all but the last one.
Delete the ones that done have a mesh or bone or w/e... the empty ones.

N-field
  • N-field

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

GUYS GUYS!!! I JUST MADE AN AWESOME DISCOVERY!!!!

OK INSTEAD OF RIGGING TO NIKO'S PLAYER MODELS, USE HIS CUTSCENE MODEL INSTEAD!!!!

EXPORT THE WDD FILE THEN SPLIT THE ODD FILE TO GET THE ODR FILES FOR EACH BODY PART, THEN USE THOSE IN THIS TUTORIAL INSTEAD OF THE PLAYER MODELS!!!

IF U DO THAT, U CAN USE THE SAME EXPORTED MODELS IN UR PLAYER, PED, AND CUTSCENE PED MODEL!!!! WOW THIS sh*t IS WAY COOL
ONLY RIG ONCE, BAM! 3 MODELS AT ONCE!!!!

just remember to replace the ped and cutscene ped with niko's ped and cutscene ped bones respectively.

Tomix23
  • Tomix23

Yomo

• Members

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:34 PM Edited by Tomix23, 22 September 2011 - 06:43 PM.

QUOTE (N-field @ Thursday, Sep 22 2011, 16:34)
QUOTE (Tomix23 @ Wednesday, Sep 21 2011, 08:06)
Model export failed!
Please help me

That is caused by w/e that sh*t is that doesnt get deleted when u delete the meshes n sh*t.....

Go into tools, then New Scene explorer.

Scene explorer is a very nice tool btw

Anyways u just delete every entry that is empty. like feet_000_u and all the other ones... generally delete all but the last one.
Delete the ones that done have a mesh or bone or w/e... the empty ones.

Thanks man I'll give it a try
EDIT: You are my hero, it worked

Tomix23
  • Tomix23

Yomo

• Members

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:30 PM

I finally made it, thank you goin-god for this tutorial and n-field for helping me with the problem I had.
user posted image

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:48 PM

I'm glad you could do it.

Tomix23
  • Tomix23

Yomo

• Members

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Thursday, Sep 22 2011, 23:48)

Can I ask you something?
I did the same process for the head, skipped the bones, but to make a hair model. I can see it in OpenIV and looks perfect, when I go ingame it is invisible confused.gif

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Feroci
  • Philippines

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (Tomix23 @ Friday, Sep 23 2011, 07:15)
QUOTE (goin-god @ Thursday, Sep 22 2011, 23:48)

Can I ask you something?
I did the same process for the head, skipped the bones, but to make a hair model. I can see it in OpenIV and looks perfect, when I go ingame it is invisible confused.gif

The same goes when I tried to import Vito Scalleta's hair mesh into IV.

N-field
  • N-field

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:36 PM

Maybe its like the head cutscene issue where u have to use gta_ped_skin_blendshapes instead of gta_ped.

In fact this tut should change that since theres no ill effect to making every part of the ped that shader (Provided u set skin color to black)

It could be that it needs blendshapes for those like how it needed them for cutscenes.... in the cutsprops each ped has a blendshapes file....

Tomix23
  • Tomix23

Yomo

• Members

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (N-field @ Friday, Sep 23 2011, 15:36)
Maybe its like the head cutscene issue where u have to use gta_ped_skin_blendshapes instead of gta_ped.

In fact this tut should change that since theres no ill effect to making every part of the ped that shader (Provided u set skin color to black)

It could be that it needs blendshapes for those like how it needed them for cutscenes.... in the cutsprops each ped has a blendshapes file....

Well I replaced my player's head with an empty model, and replaced teef with the head and I get moving mouth in cutscenes and ingame, only used gta_ped shader. What is diferent in the other ped shaders?

N-field
  • N-field

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE (Tomix23 @ Friday, Sep 23 2011, 17:12)

Well I replaced my player's head with an empty model, and replaced teef with the head and I get moving mouth in cutscenes and ingame, only used gta_ped shader. What is diferent in the other ped shaders?

Blendshapes makes the head show up in cutscenes and well.. since I batch process models sincei m converting a bunch from SA

(They look AWESOME WITH BUMPMAPS BTW... I hear its bugged, but it works for anime characters pretty well. Looks just like a doujin game or something)

the side effect is gta_ped_skin_blendshapes and skin reflect like crazy unless u set the skin color to black. Im guessing if anybody wants to do a knight in some sort of shining armor,
keeping the skin color as white would be useful. huh. moving mouths... yknow... I sometimes get slight bits of movement too on anime characters. The eyes too. Thats mainly only when the characters are being pissed in the cutscenes tho.... (but thats cuz I unrigged the other face bones. Even if I were to manually rig it, it would take, oh... I dunno a week for each character? My hope is Ezio Auditore will be easier.... his head looks like the male heads in the game, Im sure it should rig fine......if the models are fitted against each other properly....

(note: u normally dont want to rig face bones for anime characters. U end up with monsters! Literally!!!)

Tomix23
  • Tomix23

Yomo

• Members

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (N-field @ Saturday, Sep 24 2011, 03:08)
QUOTE (Tomix23 @ Friday, Sep 23 2011, 17:12)

Blendshapes makes the head show up in cutscenes and well.. since I batch process models sincei m converting a bunch from SA

(They look AWESOME WITH BUMPMAPS BTW... I hear its bugged, but it works for anime characters pretty well. Looks just like a doujin game or something)

the side effect is gta_ped_skin_blendshapes and skin reflect like crazy unless u set the skin color to black. Im guessing if anybody wants to do a knight in some sort of shining armor,
keeping the skin color as white would be useful. huh. moving mouths... yknow... I sometimes get slight bits of movement too on anime characters. The eyes too. Thats mainly only when the characters are being pissed in the cutscenes tho.... (but thats cuz I unrigged the other face bones. Even if I were to manually rig it, it would take, oh... I dunno a week for each character? My hope is Ezio Auditore will be easier.... his head looks like the male heads in the game, Im sure it should rig fine......if the models are fitted against each other properly....

(note: u normally dont want to rig face bones for anime characters. U end up with monsters! Literally!!!)

I know what you mean with monsters xD I rigged RE 5 Chris and he had a giant tongue.
But do you know why my hair model is invisible? confused.gif
Chris looks weird with no hair.

N-field
  • N-field

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:10 PM Edited by N-field, 24 September 2011 - 04:41 PM.

if u used the blendshapes shader and its still invisible, then I have no idea why. I normally merge the hair with the head model....

Crap that model ur doing also has a real human face... and ....... sh*t. Wonder if GIMs will be able to fix that.... at least I wont have to redo all the anime characters. I doubt GIMs will ever be able to handle rigging anime character face bones. But for human faces it should.... eventually...

Tomix23
  • Tomix23

Yomo

• Members

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (N-field @ Saturday, Sep 24 2011, 16:10)
if u used the blendshapes shader and its still invisible, then I have no idea why. I normally merge the hair with the head model....

Crap that model ur doing also has a real human face... and ....... sh*t. Wonder if GIMs will be able to fix that.... at least I wont have to redo all the anime characters. I doubt GIMs will ever be able to handle rigging anime character face bones. But for human faces it should.... eventually...

I would have attached the hair to the head, but they were 2 textures and IV only supports 1 and I don't know how to combine them.
I'll try with that shader, if it doesn't work I'll replace suse_000_u.
Thanks for the help, you have been very helpfull. colgate.gif

N-field
  • N-field

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:40 PM Edited by N-field, 24 September 2011 - 07:43 PM.

about that... the textures... wat u do is, since each texture overlaps the other u have to do the uvw unwrap thing....

basically, detach parts of the mesh that belong to different textures, then u have to combine all the texture images into one image using photoshop or something. Then u can use unwrap uvw on each part of the detached mesh. Make a modifier, then select all the faces of that mesh part and click edit. In the editor, there should be a dropdown menu in there somewhere that says map. scroll down and find ur texture map, or u can load it if its not in there. Then u resize and transform the selected faces in there to line it up with the proper texture in the new image that has all the textures ocmbined. When done, just select 'collapse to" in the unwrap uvw modifier and that mesh part should be mapped to ur custom combined texture.

Repeat for all mesh parts. (Advice: u want to already pose the model to niko b4 doing all of this. I made the mistake of combining textures first... it was not pretty,... some1 should make a more in-depth guide...)

Yknow im pretty sure this coulda been automated with a tool that imports dffs n sh*t and whatnot. Cuz doing that on Ezio Auditore is a BITCH. Finally did it though. Damn them textures look sweet-ass too

p.s. this doesnt change the dff's uvw mappign or anything like that. And loading the saved uvw map onto a freshly imported dff WILL NOT WORK EITHER. Everything that is saved is now in the 3ds max file. Which is why I said, do this AFTER u pose ur char to niko's model. Could I have exported it to another dff? Nah f*ck that I kinda hate SA and have no desire to learn anything about it. The gfx looks like it sucks balls and the physics is just.... no. Too old. I w8ed a LONG time to mod GTA4 like this... thank god the time is finally here

Tomix23
  • Tomix23

Yomo

• Members

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (N-field @ Saturday, Sep 24 2011, 19:40)
about that... the textures... wat u do is, since each texture overlaps the other u have to do the uvw unwrap thing....

basically, detach parts of the mesh that belong to different textures, then u have to combine all the texture images into one image using photoshop or something. Then u can use unwrap uvw on each part of the detached mesh. Make a modifier, then select all the faces of that mesh part and click edit. In the editor, there should be a dropdown menu in there somewhere that says map. scroll down and find ur texture map, or u can load it if its not in there. Then u resize and transform the selected faces in there to line it up with the proper texture in the new image that has all the textures ocmbined. When done, just select 'collapse to" in the unwrap uvw modifier and that mesh part should be mapped to ur custom combined texture.

Repeat for all mesh parts. (Advice: u want to already pose the model to niko b4 doing all of this. I made the mistake of combining textures first... it was not pretty,... some1 should make a more in-depth guide...)

Yknow im pretty sure this coulda been automated with a tool that imports dffs n sh*t and whatnot. Cuz doing that on Ezio Auditore is a BITCH. Finally did it though. Damn them textures look sweet-ass too

p.s. this doesnt change the dff's uvw mappign or anything like that. And loading the saved uvw map onto a freshly imported dff WILL NOT WORK EITHER. Everything that is saved is now in the 3ds max file. Which is why I said, do this AFTER u pose ur char to niko's model. Could I have exported it to another dff? Nah f*ck that I kinda hate SA and have no desire to learn anything about it. The gfx looks like it sucks balls and the physics is just.... no. Too old. I w8ed a LONG time to mod GTA4 like this... thank god the time is finally here

The Chris model I'm using uses 1 texture for pants, 1 for shoes, 1 for head, 1 for hair, but the torso uses like 6 textures. I'll use for now the 1 texture bodyparts only. Then I'll see what I can do for the torso.

N-field
  • N-field

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:57 AM

heres wat Ezio looks like now. That was like 8 texures for the entire model too... thank god it wasnt a unified mesh....

DukeNukem0911
  • DukeNukem0911

Ass kicker

• Members

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

this is awesome ! i learned for Resident Evil 4 and currently doing a Duke Nukem mod , after that i'll do it for GTA4 thanks to you and your tuto biggrin.gif

Dawidvdh
  • Dawidvdh

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

Okay.. wow.. Getting super far in this mod.. thanks for all the help.. but the facial bone issue still remains.. can anybody suggest a tutorial that will put me on the right track?..

AlphaWolF_J
  • AlphaWolF_J

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

Hi ive followed this to the letter but for some reason any of the parts i rig and export & import never show up in OPEN IV all im getting is a blank 3D plane and the file looks too small imo also . I can view the textures i imported just fine but cant really understand where im going wrong with the mesh. its like its not exporting the mesh data event hough it says it has ??? this is really holding my modding up.

user posted image

AlphaWolF_J
  • AlphaWolF_J

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:42 AM Edited by AlphaWolF_J, 10 October 2011 - 10:55 AM.

Not sure what i did but i managed to get the file size up but im still having the same problem, it want show up in open IV which means it wont show up in game . and the polys & verts still read zero??????
user posted image

user posted image

AlphaWolF_J
  • AlphaWolF_J

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

SOLVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terreur69
  • Terreur69

C2C - Down The Road

• Members
  • France

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (AlphaWolF_J @ Tuesday, Oct 11 2011, 11:42)
SOLVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how ??? I have the same problem confused.gif

AlphaWolF_J
  • AlphaWolF_J

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

TEXTURE ID:1

user posted image

user posted image

Terreur69
  • Terreur69

C2C - Down The Road

• Members
  • France

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

its works thanks !!

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

That's what the tutorials says anyways.

AlphaWolF_J
  • AlphaWolF_J

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:22 PM Edited by AlphaWolF_J, 09 November 2011 - 09:31 PM.

VERY TRUE ! who do you think i learned to rigg from smile.gif , and once again thanks for that one

But while your here ive got a question about a few models model i want to rigg, they are single meshs but not unified and & have multiple textures that get applyed to different elements . i once tried this gta SA method but i ran in to issues trying to export it because i could not make the multi sub object texture i created a gta iv texture so got the ped textures error, anyway around this?

GraceFanny
  • GraceFanny

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:44 AM Edited by GraceFanny, 15 November 2011 - 07:47 AM.

I'm Korean
Google Translator is a. I can not mateulsu
I succeeded. However, Roger andoengeol normal map applied
Should've said many times. still can not apply the normal map?

user posted image

wapeddell
  • wapeddell

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:13 AM Edited by wapeddell, 24 November 2011 - 12:16 AM.

user posted image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Why is this happening it wasn't happening in GIMS before the new GIMS that supports Open IV 9.3

HERE'S BIGGER LINK > http://img405.images.../1374/wtfwi.png

The hand keeps looking like that after export?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users