[GTA IV] Player Rigging Tutorial

247 replies to this topic
_Rob_
  • _Rob_

Game Dev, Graphics Artist

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

Not quite getting what you mean, and who's bill?

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:16 PM Edited by goin-god, 15 July 2011 - 04:18 PM.

QUOTE (bammargera @ Friday, Jul 15 2011, 13:13)
Not quite getting what you mean, and who's bill?

Bill from L4D (the model im rigging in this tutorial) he has a short sleeved shirt (not so short, but still). And I cut his hands.
http://imageshack.us...7/68349731.png/
http://imageshack.us...3/66603094.png/
Check the tutorial.

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

Ah thanks I'm with you now first test, successful, Tommy's HD head done, will work on Shirt, Jeans and Shoes tomorrow probably smile.gif

user posted image
P.S. Looks a little weird because whilst I am on my motherboards graphics, waiting for my new card to arrive, I can't run IV properly, so this is everything set to low wink.gif

H1Vltg3
  • H1Vltg3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

I'm working on getting Iron Man in-game.. I got his helmet in, replaced Niko's ski mask with it. But now I can't get the torso to export following same steps as the head, it errors out and wants to send a report to the dev..

CODE
=====Scene check=====
=====Scene check end=====
ERROR::Can't create/send the error report! Details:-- Runtime error: dotNet runtime exception: Command not implemented. The server response was: 5.5.1 Unrecognized command. k16sm1706845icc.10

Maybe I can send you the rigged model and have you export it.. Only thing is that I need to redo all the textures, I'm just using placeholders cause I don't really know how to map textures yet.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

Looks like a problem with GIMS. Can't help you there.

H1Vltg3
  • H1Vltg3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Friday, Jul 15 2011, 20:18)
Looks like a problem with GIMS. Can't help you there.

Well maybe I'm just stupid and doing it wrong.. I dunno, this sucks.. I have like a whole days work getting this to this point...

ikt
  • ikt

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:42 PM

Owenwilson, that looks AWESOME. Any idea of releasing? Would look awesome combined with a Nanosuit script mod moto_whistle.gif

H1Vltg3
  • H1Vltg3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:21 AM

Ok, I got the torso to export, I was doing it wrong I guess.. BUT, after an hour of waiting for it to finish exporting, this is what I ended up with?! What did I do wrong here?

user posted image

The torso does have 118,856 faces, is that too much or something??

mastertitsoyo
  • mastertitsoyo

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for the tutorial you my friend you deserve a award for awesomeness and the award will be a platinum chuck norris lol

darkfailure
  • darkfailure

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

As a complete noob in things like this, I am having some problems with merging the character. The character model I have has a slightly different pose (his arms are different).
Is there a way to move them to match Niko's model?

BeeswaX
  • BeeswaX

Nevermind

• Members

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

is it possible to move bones ?, cuz i get an error everytime i try
anyway this is what im working on
user posted image

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

If you are getting errors Bees, moving may be a problem. I didn't try moving them.

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:02 PM

Ok have an issue, I think it may be due to the lack of specular maps but:

user posted image
As you can see the hands (which are Niko's original ones) are bright and vibrant, whereas Tommy's model parts are dull and flat looking.

GooD-NTS
  • GooD-NTS

OpenIV lead developer

• Members
  • Russia
  • Best Tool 2012 [OpenIV]

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (BeeswaX)
is it possible to move bones ?

No you can't edit bones (skeleton).
Because game anyway will be use skeleton from WFT file not from your WDRs.
When we get editable WFT you will have full freedom in PED editing.

wapeddell
  • wapeddell

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:24 PM

How would you use more than one texture because I'm working on a mod that have glasses with eye balls and they all have separate textures from the face

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (wapeddell @ Saturday, Jul 16 2011, 14:24)
How would you use more than one texture because I'm working on a mod that have glasses with eye balls and they all have separate textures from the face

You can't. Only 1 texture per bodypart. You have to merge the textures in 1, and unwrap the model again.

Bam: You need to add Normals and Specular.

GooD-NTS: Full freedom? That sounds niiice.

H1Vltg3
  • H1Vltg3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:14 PM Edited by H1Vltg3, 17 July 2011 - 02:57 AM.

Here is my "Handmazing Spider-Man".. I need help at this point cause I dunno how to bend the arms into place to match Niko's in MAX, without doing it vertex by vertex.. A few other bugs, but over all it's getting there! Anyone care to help me finish this up since it's all done, I have separate max files already rigged for each part, and a file with them all together.. All the texturing/UVW mapping is finished, it's a matter of getting the rig right now, which I apparently suck at..

user posted image
user posted image

wapeddell
  • wapeddell

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:07 AM Edited by wapeddell, 17 July 2011 - 05:17 AM.

QUOTE (H1Vltg3 @ Saturday, Jul 16 2011, 23:14)
Here is my "Handmazing Spider-Man".. I need help at this point cause I dunno how to bend the arms into place to match Niko's in MAX, without doing it vertex by vertex.. A few other bugs, but over all it's getting there! Anyone care to help me finish this up since it's all done, I have separate max files already rigged for each part, and a file with them all together.. All the texturing/UVW mapping is finished, it's a matter of getting the rig right now, which I apparently suck at..

user posted image
user posted image

Lol you are getting your models from the same site as me but for the hands you have to do the same as rigging the face the bone you will be looking for is called l hand and r hand if that will help but to get the hand fully operational I'm still having issues with that

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:20 AM

Im working on finishing the tutorial, and I will explain how to rig a hand with no finger movement.
For rigging a hand with finger movment I'll probably link to a hand rigging tutorial, since it would be a long tuto itself.

H1Vltg3
  • H1Vltg3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:27 AM Edited by H1Vltg3, 17 July 2011 - 05:34 AM.

I can rig the hand, that's no problem, I just have trouble bending the arms into place in 3ds Max without messing up the polys, vertices, or textures. The model came from thefree3dmodels.com, originally from Spider-Man: Web of Shadows. Here's his hands rigged without finger movement, don't mind the seams are still buggy and such:

user posted image

wapeddell
  • wapeddell

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:35 AM Edited by wapeddell, 17 July 2011 - 05:38 AM.

How do you rig the neck with the head and body because on some of my mods the there is a invisible gap when niko goes into idle mode and start looking around and another thing I'm trying to figure out is I get these weird artifacts even after rigging the model as you suggest for example when I go into edit envelops and set the vertices I ususal do ctrl+a to select all then add 1 abs effect and paint weight but still have spikes coming out of face or even a body part such as biceps or triceps

wapeddell
  • wapeddell

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE (H1Vltg3 @ Sunday, Jul 17 2011, 05:27)
I can rig the hand, that's no problem, I just have trouble bending the arms into place in 3ds Max without messing up the polys, vertices, or textures. The model came from thefree3dmodels.com, originally from Spider-Man: Web of Shadows. Here's his hands rigged without finger movement, don't mind the seams are still buggy and such:

user posted image

I know I downloaded it lol good though you beat me to it, it looks gr8 btw

wapeddell
  • wapeddell

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:41 AM

http://www.gta4-mods...-nanosuit-f9531

@ going god can you please download and look at all my mess ups hopefully you can give me pointers

wapeddell
  • wapeddell

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Saturday, Jul 16 2011, 19:50)
QUOTE (wapeddell @ Saturday, Jul 16 2011, 14:24)

You can't. Only 1 texture per bodypart. You have to merge the textures in 1, and unwrap the model again.

Bam: You need to add Normals and Specular.

GooD-NTS: Full freedom? That sounds niiice.

Sorry for so many post but how would I do as you suggest with merging all the textures into one and unwrap the model again? confused.gif

H1Vltg3
  • H1Vltg3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE (wapeddell @ Sunday, Jul 17 2011, 05:47)
Sorry for so many post but how would I do as you suggest with merging all the textures into one and unwrap the model again? confused.gif

You have to do Unwrap UVW in the modifiers, then click Edit..
There you can move the maps around vertex by vertex into a different arrangement, click Tools in the UVW viewer, then Render UVW Template and save as image type.
From there you have to redo your texture to match the template layout.
I had to do it with Spidey's arms for the torso..
I like your Crysis 2 model BTW, lower the shine though, set your Spec in the textures to like 0.01 or 0.005 and try that.. I will test it on the next version you released, I watched the video..
We need a tutorial on bending our characters to fit Niko more then anything!

H1Vltg3
  • H1Vltg3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:04 AM

QUOTE (wapeddell @ Sunday, Jul 17 2011, 05:35)
How do you rig the neck with the head and body because on some of my mods the there is a invisible gap when niko goes into idle mode and start looking around and another thing I'm trying to figure out is I get these weird artifacts even after rigging the model as you suggest for example when I go into edit envelops and set the vertices I ususal do ctrl+a to select all then add 1 abs effect and paint weight but still have spikes coming out of face or even a body part such as biceps or triceps

I have the same issue with Spidey.. I fixed it sort of on a earlier version, but I had to have Spidey exactly lined up, then manually lower the head into the torso to close the gap.. I'm guessing I will have to do the same thing this time, for all of the seams though.. There is a slight gap at his waist, wrists, neck, and ankles.. Between Iron Man not working, and all of the bugs with this smooth Spidey model, I've been going insane.. Sorry for the double post also, I didn't read up far enough!

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:09 AM

If you want to learn how to change the model pose, you will have to look for other tutorials... I don't have time to make a tuto for that. If not, wait until WFT support. confused.gif

Also, Bumps Do work:
user posted image
You just need to take some time to adjust the settings for it to look better.

wapeddell
  • wapeddell

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (H1Vltg3 @ Sunday, Jul 17 2011, 06:00)

There you can move the maps around vertex by vertex into a different arrangement, click Tools in the UVW viewer, then Render UVW Template and save as image type.
I like your Crysis 2 model BTW, lower the shine though, set your Spec in the textures to like 0.01 or 0.005 and try that.. I will test it on the next version you released, I watched the video..

Ok bro Im going to give it a go thanks for the reply me and you both are glued to this thread waiting on replies lol

wapeddell
  • wapeddell

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (H1Vltg3 @ Sunday, Jul 17 2011, 06:00)

and exactly where is this located I just started using 3d max 2 days ago lol

wapeddell
  • wapeddell

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:20 AM

user posted image

I've made it this far but now I'm confused suicidal.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users