WHAT IT DOES
This script adds a fairly intricate notoriety system similar to Assassin's Creed.
- If the cops see your face during a chase, there's a chance they'll IDENTIFY you for the crime.
- If you ESCAPE after being identified, the crime is added to your arrest warrant.
- Your warrant is given a NOTORIETY rating based on how serious your crimes were (1 star, 2 stars, etc.)
- Press 0 on the numpad to show your current notoriety rating.
- Your notoriety, behavior, and traffic crimes will ALERT police (see "Tips" below for extensive details).
- A green indicator means the cop is watching you. Yellow & red mean he's suspicious, & he'll investigate.
- If a red-alerted cop gets close, he'll stop you & ask for ID. Niko is an illegal immigrant, so... 1 star no matter what.
- With high notoriety (3+ stars) if a nearby cop is fully alerted, he'll RECOGNIZE you & start a chase.
- If a fully alerted cop sees you bump someone or commit a serious traffic crime, he'll give you 1 star.*
- If you hold a gun/explosive near a cop, there's a chance he'll spot your weapon & give you 1 star.*
- If you get arrested (or die during a chase), your arrest warrant will be cleared.
- You'll lose your wanted level if you're unseen for a long time (60 secs per star).
- Hold F1 to surrender. Doesn't always work, because cops are angry.
- Cops will be alerted more easily for a while after you escape a chase.
- If a cop becomes fully alerted during this time, the previous chase will RESUME.
- High Alert lasts 1 minute for each star you had in the previous chase.
- Your vehicle can have its own wanted level, if it's identified during a chase.
- Outside of chases, alerted cops might RECOGNIZE your wanted vehicle while investigating.
- If your vehicle's wanted level is at least 3 stars, it'll slowly alert cops on sight.
- Stolen vehicles are often REPORTED to the police.*
- Go to a Pay 'n' Spray to clear the vehicle's wanted level.
- Press 5 on the numpad to arrange a bribe meeting.
- At the meeting:
. . . Press 4 & 6 to cycle through crime levels (1 star, 2 stars, etc.).
. . . Press 8 & 2 to add & remove crimes from the bribe.
. . . Press 5 to pay the bribe.
. . . Press Delete to reset the current bribe.
. . . The notoriety value & bribe cost are displayed for each crime level.
* Can be disabled in the INI.
HOW TO INSTALL
This is a script for HazardX's .NET scripthook. Just extract the files into the 'scripts' folder of the .NET scripthook.
- Make sure you have the latest scripthook version, v188.8.131.52.
- See below for known bugs, so you know what to expect.
Last updated February 21, 2015
- Many settings can be tweaked in the INI.
- Hold PageDown and press 5 on the numpad to disable/enable the mod. This won't clear your warrant or your wanted vehicles.
- The chance of your face being identified depends on:
. . . . your wanted level
. . . . whether you're in a vehicle, & the vehicle's speed
. . . . whether the cop is dying (lying down/limping)
. . . . how long the cop has continuously seen your face
- The chance of your vehicle being identified depends on:
. . . . your wanted level
. . . . your vehicle's speed & wanted level
. . . . whether High Alert is active
. . . . how long the cop has seen your vehicle
- The chance of your gun being spotted depends on:
. . . . whether you're in a vehicle
. . . . the cop's alert level
. . . . the size of the weapon
- All the above chances also depend on:
. . . . your distance & notoriety
. . . . whether it's nighttime and/or raining
. . . . whether the cop is in a vehicle, & his vehicle's speed
- How fast cops are alerted depends on:
. . . . your speed, distance, & notoriety
. . . . whether you're holding a weapon
. . . . whether you're climbing, jumping, or walking into people (especially cops)
. . . . what size crowd you're in (how many NPCs are nearby)
. . . . whether you're in cover
. . . . whether you're facing each other
. . . . whether you're in a vehicle, & the vehicle's speed, damage, & wanted level
. . . . whether you're in an emergency vehicle (police, ambulance, fire truck)
. . . . whether you're breaking traffic laws
. . . . whether it's nighttime and/or raining
. . . . whether you're near a dead or dying person
. . . . whether you've been too close to the cop for too long
. . . . whether High Alert is active
. . . . whether the cop can see another cop chasing you
. . . . whether the cop has seen, investigated, interrogated, and/or identified you before
. . . . how long the cop has investigated you
. . . . whether the cop is NOOSE, FBI, or just normal LCPD
. . . . whether you're wearing the LSD uniform (–25% chance by default in INI)
- They are alerted much faster if your notoriety is 3 stars or more.
- Alert can slowly drain, but only after an alerted cop has seen you act normal for a while.
- Alert indicators only show on the map for cops in your character's line of sight (360º).
- Alert indicators will flash:
. . . . White flash = alert level is higher than it's been before (bigger increase = more flashes)
. . . . Gray flash = draining
. . . . Blue flashes = fully alerted
- If you break a cop's line of sight while he's investigating, he'll run to your last known position, try to guess where you went, & then give up if he can't find you.
- If you're far away, the cop will jog until he gets near.
- If a cop sees you run while he's investigating, he'll be alerted very fast. (Using my Weapon Weight mod, you can "hurry" to walk faster.)
- Cops in cars...
. . . . will try to follow you while investigating, if you're in a vehicle.
. . . . won't get out of their cars until their indicators turn red.
- As a workaround for cops not seeing far, cops in cars and/or investigating have "secondary vision".
- Secondary vision imitates the cop glancing around & looking in rearview car mirrors.
- It's 360º & its range depends on the cop's alert level.
- There's a chance, based on his alert level, that he'll see you in this field of view.
- If your notoriety is at least 3 stars, cops will...
. . . . get alerted just from investigating for a long time.
. . . . ID you just from being fully alert & nearby.
. . . . ID you for your past crimes when you get IDed for a lower-level crime.
- If your vehicle's wanted level is at least 3 stars, it'll alert cops on sight.
- A new crime is added to your warrant every time you escape after being identified (not including chases resumed during High Alert).
- Eventually, the notoriety from these crimes can add up, increasing your notoriety rating.
- Even 1-star crimes can add up to a 2-star notoriety rating, if you have a lot of them on your warrant.
- Notoriety escalates slowly at first (thirty 1-star crimes = one 2-star crime), but it gets much faster at higher levels (five 2-star crimes = one 3-star crime).
Recommended Related Mods
- Less Cops in Liberty City by lilmcnessy — Fewer police will spawn.
- Halt Traffic Behind by HazardX, modified by me — Makes NPCs stop behind your car instead of trying to drive around.
- Weapon Weight by me — Includes a "hurry" feature to walk/run/swim faster. Useful when evading police.
- Prison Break by HippieCommunist — Go to prison when arrested. Post bail or try to escape.
- Farnsworth's Business Mod by Prof_Farnsworth — Buy businesses and earn money for bribes.
KNOWN BUGS (and workarounds for some)
- Your arrest warrant is only saved when you use a bed to save the game, not when the game autosaves.
- Your arrest warrant is persistent across different savegames. Workaround: manually create a different ArrestWarrant.dat file for each save.
- When patrolling cops see an NPC criminal, they either ignore or shoot at him. Workaround: disable PreventCopDeletion in the INI, or temporarily toggle the mod off until the NPC criminal gets chased away.
GTA IV Issues (unfixable?)
- Most cops can't see very far.
- The game AI can see through many things it shouldn't, like low walls, dumpsters, vehicles, vegetation, and people.
- The game AI can't follow you through certain areas. Currently known to affect several alleys, one door, and one subway station staircase.
- Sometimes, the game gives you 1 star for stealing a vehicle when you only tried to open a locked car door.
- Sometimes, the game thinks you committed a traffic crime when you didn't (e.g. it thinks a street is one-way when it's not).
- The game fades the indicators over cops when you're close to them.
- If you commit traffic crimes while moving very slowly, the police won't notice.
- Cops are really bad at tailing you in cars, often crashing or making pointless wrong turns.
- Stolen vehicles don't get reported if they're empty and unlocked when you get in (this is a workaround to prevent your saved cars from being reported).
- At the start of an interrogation, alert indicators stop flashing for a moment.
- During an interrogation, sometimes cops don't face you.
- Calling Kiki Jenkins or Francis McReary to remove your wanted level doesn't prevent the crime from being added to your warrant. Workaround: toggle this mod off (PageDown + 5) before using the cheat.
- Any cheats for removing your wanted level (including the Kiki/Francis ones) don't reset cop alert levels. Workaround: same as previous.
Incompatibility with Other Mods
- Switching the player model with a trainer causes an error. Workaround: same as previous.
- This mod conflicts with Wanted, Wanted Vehicle, Weapon Arrest, and Drive Felony by BR_Goianiense.
- Ticket by HippieCommunist: Sometimes, cops will ticket you twice (or more) in a row.
v1.1 — February 21, 2015
- Your notoriety rating is shown as big stars in the top-right.
. . . . When you've been IDed in a chase, the stars and an eye icon both flash blue.
. . . . During High Alert, the stars and countdown timer both flash red.
. . . . Your vehicle wanted level is shown as stars above the radar.
- Tweaked police behavior:
. . . . Weapons are confiscated when you die in a chase (new INI setting, see below).
. . . . Lose your wanted level even in search radius if unseen for a long time (new INI setting).
. . . . You can surrender during a chase by holding down F1 (new INI setting).
. . . . They call for backup when your wanted level rises.
. . . . When investigating, they just follow and don't interrogate unless fully alerted.
. . . . Investigating cops threaten you when they're nearby.
. . . . Alert level starts draining if you haven't alerted them in a while, unless fully alerted (new INI setting).
. . . . Alert level starts rising after they've investigated for 120 seconds, so you have to lose them (new INI setting).
. . . . Alert indicators on the map are smaller for cops on foot (new INI settings).
. . . . Alert indicator flashes whenever alert level rises, not just when it reaches a new peak.
. . . . After a cop has investigated, his alert level won't drain below 20 (new INI setting).
. . . . They're alerted when they see a nearby cop running after you (new INI setting).
. . . . They're less easily alerted when you're in a crowd (new INI settings).
. . . . They're less easily alerted when you're in cover (new INI setting).
. . . . They're less easily alerted when you run during High Alert.
. . . . They're less easily alerted during High Alert if your notoriety rating is less than the previous wanted level.
. . . . High Alert is cancelled if you save, die, or go to Pay 'n' Spray (due to time passed).
. . . . They're no longer alerted faster when you face them, unless you have 3+ notoriety stars.
. . . . Driving away from investigating cops only alerts them if they're at red alert.
. . . . If you drive fast nearby, they notice traffic crimes they can't see (except heavy car damage).
. . . . They're not alerted by heavy car damage if you're barely moving.
. . . . If your siren is on, traffic crimes are allowed (except hitting peds).
. . . . They're less likely to spot your gun/explosive, except when you're aiming (new INI settings).
. . . . They run slower when investigating (new INI settings).
. . . . When investigating cops lose you, they guess your location multiple times within a wider radius (new INI setting).
. . . . They no longer always run to the nearest sidewalk before giving up investigations.
. . . . Investigating cops in cars don't get out to interrogate until they reach red alert.
. . . . FBI and NOOSE pay less attention to you when your warrant/High Alert level is low (new INI setting).
. . . . Cops pay less attention to you when you wear the LSD uniform (new INI setting).
. . . . Chance of looking at player is based on peak alert level instead of current level.
. . . . Added lots of INI settings & tweaked existing ones.
. . . . Empty cars might be reported stolen if the engine was running when you got in.
. . . . Police radio dispatch sounds are enabled when you're in an emergency vehicle.
. . . . The "vehicle identified" message says whether it's for a past crime or new one.
. . . . Bribe text is broken into multiple lines, and the amount of lost notoriety is shown after bribing.
. . . . Added "reloadini" console command.
. . . . Added "togglestats" console command to show various stats for the nearest tracked cop.
. . . . Significant code restructure.
- Fixed bugs:
. . . . You were IDed when resuming a chase from High Alert, even if you weren't IDed in the last chase.
. . . . Police told you to pull over while you were on foot.
. . . . Cops sometimes didn't face you while interrogating.
. . . . Cops sometimes didn't wander after giving up an investigation.
. . . . Cops driving vehicles didn't stop to wait for other cops to get in.
. . . . Script crash when the game deleted a cop right after he spotted your weapon.
. . . . Weapon alert INI settings didn't have any effect.
. . . . Wanted vehicle notification was still shown when disabled in the INI.
. . . . ID messages were still shown when disabled in the INI.
. . . . "Vehicle IDed" message didn't show if the car was already wanted when IDed for a new crime.
. . . . More than the MaxTrackedCops could be tracked sometimes.
. . . . The mod only started tracking new cops within TrackingRange_CopInCar, even if TrackingRange_CopOnFoot was bigger.
v1.0.5 — October 8, 2012
- Cops turn their heads to look at you when their alert indicators are green.
- Fixed bug where you were always instantly IDed when chases first started.
- Minor tweak: Decreased default VehicleID_MinSecs INI setting from 7 to 6.
v1.0.4 — October 6, 2012
- Police get alerted when you're driving an emergency vehicle nearby.
. . . . Added "Driving_EmergencyVehicle" INI setting to tweak this.
- You're instantly IDed for new stars in a chase if you were already IDed (reverted from v0.9.9).
. . . . Added "NewStarsInstantID" INI setting — if set to "false", you must be IDed by a new cop or seen by a cop who already IDed you.
- Minor code cleanup.
v1.0.3 — August 2, 2012
- Bribe contact is armed with a Desert Eagle.
- Fixed bugs where...
. . . . OverallAlertModifier INI setting constantly alerted all cops.
. . . . keypresses wouldn't work while holding Shift/Ctrl/Alt.
. . . . invalid weapons, like the parachute in EFLC, caused script crashes.
. . . . disabling all traffic crimes except speeding disabled speeding too.
. . . . speech audio wouldn't work while receiving a ticket (with HippieCommunist's Ticket.cs mod).
- Decreased script file size by 9% (was using the wrong compile mode before).
- Renamed LastBribeKey INI setting to PrevBribeKey.
- Very minor tweaks, optimization, and cleanup.
v1.0.2 — March 25, 2012
- Increased default bribe costs for 4+ stars.
- Fixed bug where increased alert modifiers in the INI could make cops get alerted too fast or too slow.
- Minor tweaks to the INI file, minor code cleanup.
v1.0.1 — January 12, 2012
- Added "mission complete" music when arrest warrant crimes are added/removed (can be disabled in the INI under MESSAGES).
- Increased how much cops are alerted by running, especially during High Alert.
- After bribing, any remaining High Alert time will decrease based on your remaining notoriety, instead of clearing completely.
- Cops mention reckless driving when interrogating near your car (you no longer have to be sitting in the car).
- Changed default value of "IDStatus_NumberOfCops" to false (under MESSAGES).
- Cleaned up keypress handling.
- Fixed bug where cops would steal your car.
- Fixed bug where interrogations would get stuck, breaking other parts of the mod.
- Fixed bug where cops in cars wouldn't reliably inherit the highest alert level among them.
v1.0 — December 31, 2011
- Police can identify vehicles.
- Stolen vehicles have a chance of being reported.
- Cops are alerted when you break certain traffic laws.
- New INI settings, including how much each traffic crime alerts cops.
- You have to meet an NPC to pay bribes.
- Cops are less likely to spot your face/vehicle/weapon at night and/or in rain.
- Disabled the police radio that you hear during chases (can be re-enabled in the INI).
- When a fully alerted cop sees you bump into someone, he'll give you 1 star.
- Within a cop car, all cops inherit the highest alert level among them.
- Alert indicators for cop car passengers are hidden, instead of overlapping the driver's.
- Alert indicators on the map show alert levels in their labels.
- New types of flashes for alert indicators.
- More cop speech:
. . . . comment when you walk into people or you're too close for too long.
. . . . comment when they see you crash your car into another car.
. . . . comment when they've seen reckless driving and pull you out of a car for an interrogation.
. . . . comment when they give up an investigation on foot.
. . . . yell when they're nearby and their indicators are red. (The cop won't flag you for evading police unless he has yelled at you.)
- Workaround for nearsighted cops: Cops in cars and/or investigating have "secondary vision"
. . . . Secondary vision is 360º and its range depends on the cop's alert level.
. . . . There's a chance based on his alert level that he'll see you in this field of view.
- Investigating cops in cars...
. . . . will follow you if you're in a moving car.
. . . . no longer abandon their cars if your car is far away or moving at moderate speed.
- Investigating cops are alerted when you drive away from them (unless driving quite slowly).
- When you break an investigating cop's line of sight, he'll guess which direction you went.
- Improved cop awareness of jumping, running, walking into people, and being near dead people.
- Significantly increased default tracking range setting; made a separate setting for cops in cars.
- Whether guns are "large", "medium" or "small" depends on their dimensions, instead of weapon type.
- Added readme file.
- Lots of fixes and tweaks.
v0.9.9 hotfix — October 8, 2011
- Fixed bug where interrogations wouldn't progress properly.
- Fixed bug where cops would be deleted more often than normal during chases.
- Minor optimization and cleanup.
v0.9.9 — October 7, 2011
- Every consecutive second cop can see face at close range, +3% chance to ID; resets once cop can't see face anymore. (Imitates "getting a good look" at the player.)
- If you were IDed and you escape a chase, cops will be alerted easily, and the chase will resume if they become fully alerted. Lasts 1 minute for every star on your warrant.
- Cops now notice when you run near them even if they can't see you.
- When you've been IDed and earn additional stars in a chase, you're no longer immediately IDed for the new stars. Now you must be IDed by a new cop or seen by a cop who already IDed you.
- Cops who are down but not dead can now ID you.
- Cops who have died are no longer counted as having IDed you.
- Added "IdentifyChanceModifier" INI setting — changes how likely cops are to identify you.
- Added several INI options for tweaking messages.
- Replaced "ShowNotifications" option with separate options for "identified" and "crime added" messages.
- Decreased max bribe cost to $999,999,999 (because that's the max that you can carry).
- Increased default bribe costs for 3+ stars.
- Increased default MaxTrackedCops from 20 to 25.
- Improved cop tracking (several fixes and tweaks).
- Improved cop tailing during investigation (more fixes and tweaks).
- Improved compatibility with Ticket mod by HippieCommunist.
- Fixed occasional "NullReferenceException" and "NonExistingObjectException" script crashes.
- Fixed major bug in calculation of cops' chance to ID.
- Lots of minor fixes and tweaks, and a few optimizations.
v0.9.8 — September 6, 2011
- Renamed the mod from "Criminal Record" to the more accurate name "Arrest Warrant".
- Alert indicators now flash every time a cop's peak alert level gets higher.
- Cops are now alerted when they see you climb, and sometimes when you jump.
- Cops will start getting alerted if you're close to them for a long time.
- If a cop can see you and has been fully alerted for several seconds, you'll get 1 star.
- Added "MaxTrackedCops" INI setting to avoid a noticeable performance impact.
- Added "ShowNotifications" INI setting to disable "crime added to warrant" messages.
- Workaround "fix" for some cops starting to chase an NPC and then immediately stopping.
- Various tweaks, fixes and cleanup.
v0.9.7 — August 28, 2011
- Cops are now alerted when you bump into people. More so for bumping cops, especially for the cop being bumped.
- Cops are also alerted when you're near a dead or dying person.
- Cops are also alerted when you stand face-to-face very close.
- Fixed several bugs affecting investigating cops.
- If your notoriety is high and a cop has investigated you for 90 seconds (not counting when he can't see you), he'll start getting alerted faster.
- Decreased the range in which cops can recognize you when fully alerted, especially with lower notoriety.
- Now investigating cops always move faster while walking, and they jog when they lose you. Removed MoveFasterWhileInvestigating INI setting.
- Added AlertModifier INI setting, to increase/decrease how much cops are alerted per second.
- Cop indicators are now labeled "Cop" on the map, instead of "Enemy".
- Minor tweaks, fixes and cleanup.
v0.9.6 hotfix — July 26, 2011
- Fixed bug where cop deletion would be prevented after an interrogation, even if PreventCopDeletion was set to false.
- Fixed bug with older GTA4 patches where cops would shoot at the player with only 1 star, or even when not wanted.
- Fixed bug where escaping after being identified would immediately make the player wanted again.
- Minor fixes and tweaks.
v0.9.6 — July 25, 2011
- Partially fixed major bug where cops could be deleted by the game when off-screen. Cops in cars/standing around can still be deleted.
- Fixed major bug where cops would repeatedly identify the player, quickly giving massive notoriety.
- Increased how much fast movement alerts cops, and how fast cops regain their peak alert level.
- Increased default cop tracking range by 33%.
- Made a separate INI setting for whether weapons alert cops (formerly included in "WeaponsAreIllegal").
- Minor fixes and tweaks.
v0.9.5 — July 22, 2011
- Added INI file for keys, bribe costs, and other settings.
- Now only the knife and bat will alert cops faster.
- For guns, grenades, and molotovs, now there's a chance the cops will notice the weapon (like how they identify your face) and give you 1 star.
- Fixed bug where cop alert levels wouldn't drain after giving up an investigation.
- Compiled script and changed save file to CriminalRecord.dat.
- Minor tweaks and cleanup.
v0.9.4 — July 19, 2011
- Offenses are now added to your record as soon as you're identified, and the Notoriety value is shown.
- Fixed bug where earning more stars after initially being identified wouldn't increase notoriety.
- Significantly increased bribe costs for 2+ stars, and increased notoriety value of 3-star offenses.
- Cops are alerted much faster when they see you holding a weapon, especially a large weapon.
- Tweaked how fast cops regain their peak alert level after losing you and then seeing you again.
- If you escape after being identified, the cops who identified you are alerted faster if they see you again.
- Improved compatibility with Prison Break by HippieCommunist: Fixed bugs where 4-star offenses were wrongly added to criminal record while wearing prison uniform, and where instantly earning 4+ stars in any situation would be considered a prison escape.
- Improved compatibility with Ticket by HippieCommunist: Fixed bugs where cops would follow you everywhere after a ticket, and where waiting until an interrogation ended would give you ticket after ticket, potentially for eternity.
- Minor fixes and tweaks.
v0.9.3 — July 12, 2011
- Cops are now tracked and can be alerted even if you have 0 notoriety.
- When an investigating cop loses sight of you, if he still can't see you after 2 seconds, he'll run straight to where you are at that moment, to imitate "guessing" which direction you went after he lost you.
- Decreased chance of being identified by police when farther away.
- Increased range in which cops are tracked.
- Fixed bug where getting into a car and driving away wouldn't fail an interrogation.
- Other minor fixes, tweaks, and cleanup.
- Changed version numbering scheme.
v0.9c — July 10, 2011
- Added little "interrogations" to the end of investigations.
- With a wanted rating of 2 or less, fully alerting cops no longer gives you a wanted level. Instead, they'll just follow until they lose you or you're close enough to interrogate.
- If the police identify you while your wanted level is 1 star and you have a notoriety rating of 2 stars, you will no longer be given 2 stars (because realistically cops wouldn't know your face well enough with that amount of notoriety).
- Cops walk faster while investigating, and fat cops run faster as well.
- If a cop has investigated and lost you, they will quickly regain their previous alert level the next time they see you. (And if they've interrogated you before, the next interrogation will be much shorter.)
- Tweaked how far cops can see and how fast certain situations alert them.
- Alert indicators now show on the map if the cop is in your character's line of sight (360º).
- Fixed bug where not all cops were affected by the script in crowded areas.
- Workaround for bug where the alert meter filled way too fast due to the player velocity being inaccurate. Side effect: Moving fast while not in a vehicle will negate the effect of velocity on alert level.
- Added compatibility for HippieCommunist's Prison Break mod: now when you break out of prison, you'll immediately be identified and notorious. (Note: only works if you set "AlarmWanted" in Prison.ini to at least 4.)
- Improved compatibility for HippieCommunist's Ticket mod: when you pay a ticket, all suspicious cops will have their alert levels reduced to just under the suspicion threshold.
- Minor fixes, optimization, and cleanup.
v0.9b — July 8, 2011
- Fixed bug where breaking an investigating cop's line of sight would make him always go to your last known position, even if he sees you again before he gets there.
- Fixed another bug where an investigating cop would go to a position far away from where he last saw you.
- Added compatibility for HippieCommunist's Ticket script. Offenses aren't added to your record if you pay the fine. If you only have a 1-star notoriety rating, it will be cleared after paying. (NOTE: Only works if your Ticket file name is "ticket.cs".)
- Minor fixes and optimization
If you read all of that, I offer you THIS: