Arrest Warrant

GTA4 .NET script mod notoriety police AI realism
215 replies to this topic
AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:49 PM

Your .NET scripthook is outdated. Just get the latest version from here: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=392325

The Loot
  • The Loot

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE (AngryAmoeba @ Tuesday, Sep 27 2011, 21:49)
Your .NET scripthook is outdated. Just get the latest version from here: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=392325

Hey thank, it works!

I have a suggestion for a feature: Make the cops a bit less willing to gun you down.

If you don't have a weapon drawn, they won't shoot until 3 Stars, but will always shoot if you have one drawn.

I don't know if this mod is the best place for it, but I'd love to see it.

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:30 AM

Glad you got it working. smile.gif

I'd love to see that feature as well. I've looked into it a bit, but I haven't yet found out how to make the cops stop shooting.

HippieCommunist uses a trick in his Ticket script: you can hold F8 to surrender, and your wanted level drops to 1 star, so the cops will stop shooting and come arrest you. The Ticket script is in his Mod Pack.

The Loot
  • The Loot

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE (AngryAmoeba @ Wednesday, Sep 28 2011, 01:30)
Glad you got it working. smile.gif

I'd love to see that feature as well. I've looked into it a bit, but I haven't yet found out how to make the cops stop shooting.

HippieCommunist uses a trick in his Ticket script: you can hold F8 to surrender, and your wanted level drops to 1 star, so the cops will stop shooting and come arrest you. The Ticket script is in his Mod Pack.

I've got that, but I'd rather be able to keep running and not be shot at without a gun at 2 stars.

I'd like to find out how to edit the fine values for the mod, though.

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:27 AM

Open the Ticket.cs file and search for "int B = RN".

RN stands for random number the first number is the minimum, and the second number is the maximum.

The Loot
  • The Loot

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (AngryAmoeba @ Wednesday, Sep 28 2011, 03:27)
Open the Ticket.cs file and search for "int B = RN".

RN stands for random number the first number is the minimum, and the second number is the maximum.

Hey, thanks for the help with that, even though it's not your mod.

I've gone back to using your mod after playing around with the other Wanted mod; it's just not as interesting as this.

A quick report, though. I got ticketed with a large number of officers around me, and even though it cleared my Warrant, another officer still had a high alert level, and it ended up with me being ticketed again with the same result.

Should it clear all alerts when your Warrant is cleared, or was that not implemented?

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:19 PM

That problem is fixed in the next update. smile.gif

It's because those cops identified you, so they're alerted much faster when they see you. Fixed by resetting their "has identified" attribute after you're ticketed.

I wanted to think of something new to add before releasing the update, but I might just release it as a hotfix, because it fixes several unfortunate problems...

The Loot
  • The Loot

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:54 PM Edited by The Loot, 29 September 2011 - 01:59 AM.

QUOTE (AngryAmoeba @ Wednesday, Sep 28 2011, 16:19)
That problem is fixed in the next update. smile.gif

It's because those cops identified you, so they're alerted much faster when they see you. Fixed by resetting their "has identified" attribute after you're ticketed.

I wanted to think of something new to add before releasing the update, but I might just release it as a hotfix, because it fixes several unfortunate problems...

I noticed that you said the next version would have better support for that, so I figured it was probably taken care of already; a hotfix would be great, though.

A question and a suggestion from me...

I use Weapon Arrest for the Ped reporting feature. Will it cause serious problems or just overlap oddly?

As for the suggestion, maybe once an Officer has decided to investigate, if you run (not just jog) you get an immediate star-rating.

That does bring up the point of how it handles ratings and your warrant if different. If identified, does it automatically kick up to the higher warrant? e.g. I get a 1-Star from having a weapon or traffic violation reported while I have an outstanding 3-Star, if I get identified, will it kick up to the 3-Star?

Ack, that brings up another thing. How would this mod handle the Bank Robbery mission (or wearing the mask in general)?

Thanks for you hard work, I have to say that this game has now become more interesting than ever with all the realism mods I've managed to find.

Edit: Had an error occur...

2011-09-28 17:50:39 - Error during Tick in script 'ArrestWarrant':
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at ArrestWarrant.updateCopAlertLevel()
at ArrestWarrant.ArrestWarrant_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at GTA.Script.TryTick()
at GTA.Script.DoTick()
at GTA.ScriptThread.OnTick()

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:02 AM Edited by AngryAmoeba, 29 September 2011 - 02:44 AM.

Prepare for lots of text!

QUOTE (The Loot @ Wednesday, Sep 28 2011,16:19)
I use Weapon Arrest for the Ped reporting feature. Will it cause serious problems or just overlap oddly?

If you set "GunsAreIllegal" to false in the .ini file, there shouldn't be any problems. (Edit: Even if you leave GunsAreIllegal enabled, I doubt there would be any serious problems. You'll just have 2 separate algorithms checking whether the police have spotted your weapon.)

As for the suggestion, maybe once an Officer has decided to investigate, if you run (not just jog) you get an immediate star-rating.

It does something similar: while an officer is investigating, moving fast will alert him much more than usual. This effect is amplified even more by your arrest warrant.

But it's not so strict that you'll immediately get 1 star. What if you only run for 1 or 2 seconds, then walk again? You shouldn't get arrested just for that. The way it works now, that will just make the cop more suspicious. If he gets suspicious enough, his alert indicator will turn red and he'll start running after you. If you continue to run, he'll continue to get more suspicious.

Once he's fully alerted, what happens next depends on your arrest warrant:

If your warrant is 3 stars or more, and he's close enough, he'll "recognize" you. This means you'll get however many stars are on your warrant.
If your warrant is under 3 stars, or he just isn't close enough, you'll finally get 1 star after several seconds.

That does bring up the point of how it handles ratings and your warrant if different. If identified, does it automatically kick up to the higher warrant? e.g. I get a 1-Star from having a weapon or traffic violation reported while I have an outstanding 3-Star, if I get identified, will it kick up to the 3-Star?

Just like above, if your warrant is 3+ stars, then yes, being identified will boost your wanted level to whatever your warrant is.
But if your warrant is only 2 stars, being identified just means a new crime will be added to your warrant if you escape the current chase.

(By the way, if you set "NeedHighNotorietyToRecognize" to false, police can recognize you even with only 2 stars.)

This is all a bit too complicated, I know. tounge.gif The more I try to imitate reality, the more complex it gets...

Ack, that brings up another thing. How would this mod handle the Bank Robbery mission (or wearing the mask in general)?

Unfortunately, the mask has no effect. When I started this mod, I was kind of copying the Wanted mod, and I didn't want to copy all of that mod's features. But in the future, I'll probably try to implement the mask, and maybe other disguises.

Thanks for you hard work, I have to say that this game has now become more interesting than ever with all the realism mods I've managed to find.

I know what you mean! GTA IV was quite impressive when it came out, but now that I have all these realism mods, it's easily the most impressive game I've ever played. And it came out years ago!

Edit: Had an error occur... System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

That's fixed in the update. wink.gif

The Loot
  • The Loot

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

Thought of a feature: A two-step identify system during pursuits.

A cop can identify you, but must stay alive for a short while to report it. So if you down the cop quick enough, it won't go on your warrant. It becomes much more complicated when multiple officers tag you, of course.

This came up during the deal with Playboy; after escaping the apartments, I ran around a corner and got identified by a lone officer, but blasted him with a shotgun immediately. Probably would have gotten re-identified later in the crazy chase I had, but it would be nice to have the chance of getting away with it.

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (The Loot @ Thursday, Sep 29 2011,15:54)
Thought of a feature: A two-step identify system during pursuits.

A cop can identify you, but must stay alive for a short while to report it. So if you down the cop quick enough, it won't go on your warrant. It becomes much more complicated when multiple officers tag you, of course.

This came up during the deal with Playboy; after escaping the apartments, I ran around a corner and got identified by a lone officer, but blasted him with a shotgun immediately. Probably would have gotten re-identified later in the crazy chase I had, but it would be nice to have the chance of getting away with it.

Hmm yeah, I've thought about that too... For now, I'll make it count how many cops have identified you, and only add crimes to your warrant if you escape with at least 1 cop counted. If you kill a cop who identified you, he won't be counted.

It'll be a bit better than it is now, but doing it this way will still be rather unrealistic (e.g. earn 1 star; get identified by Cop A; run away; earn another star during the chase; get identified by Cop B; kill Cop B, earning another star; escape the pursuit because Cop A identified you for the 1-star crime, the 2-star and 3-star crimes will both be added to your warrant too).

I've got some ideas for a more significant revision of the system, which should improve realism a lot. Hopefully, that will be in v1.0.

The Loot
  • The Loot

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:45 AM Edited by The Loot, 30 September 2011 - 01:54 AM.

QUOTE (AngryAmoeba @ Thursday, Sep 29 2011, 23:41)
Hmm yeah, I've thought about that too... For now, I'll make it count how many cops have identified you, and only add crimes to your warrant if you escape with at least 1 cop counted. If you kill a cop who identified you, he won't be counted.

That would be great, more so if we can get indicators over the cops who've made an ID during chases (I've seen other mods use a flashing Red/Blue marker).

It'll be a bit better than it is now, but doing it this way will still be rather unrealistic (e.g. earn 1 star; get identified by Cop A; run away; earn another star during the chase; get identified by Cop B; kill Cop B, earning another star; escape the pursuit because Cop A identified you for the 1-star crime, the 2-star and 3-star crimes will both be added to your warrant too).

That concept doesn't bug me; if someone is running from the cops and one gets shot in the area, easy to pin it on them, especially for the LCPD.

I'm also curious as to what parameters are used to determine if an ID is made/suspicion aroused, and if they can be made configurable. Also, an option to have the warrant text displayed at all times during a chase would be great.

Can't wait to see you've got up your sleeve.

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:24 AM

QUOTE (The Loot @ Thursday, Sep 29 2011, 19:45)
QUOTE (AngryAmoeba @ Thursday, Sep 29 2011, 23:41)

That would be great, more so if we can get indicators over the cops who've made an ID during chases (I've seen other mods use a flashing Red/Blue marker).

I've decided not to indicate which cops have identified you. I like the idea of not quite knowing, and trying to decide whether to run away or take the risk of trying to eliminate everyone who might have seen you.

I'm also curious as to what parameters are used to determine if an ID is made/suspicion aroused, and if they can be made configurable. Also, an option to have the warrant text displayed at all times during a chase would be great.

Just added the warrant text option, and made separate options for "identified for crime" messages and "crimes added to warrant" messages.

---------------

As for how cops identify you... It's kind of interesting. colgate.gif Basically, each cop has a percent chance each second. So he might ID you instantly, or it could take him several seconds. That's just luck. I tried to imitate how some people memorize/recognize faces quickly, and other people take longer.

If you're in a vehicle: 9% chance each second, which adds up to ~25% total chance after 3 sec, ~60% after 10 sec
If you're on foot and...
your warrant is 0-2 stars: 15% chance each second, adds up to ~40% total chance after 3 sec, ~80% after 10 sec
your warrant is 3-6 stars: 21% chance each second, adds up to ~50% total chance after 3 sec, ~95% after 10 sec

These chances are then tweaked by distance (lower chance), your warrant stars (+3% chance per star), and your wanted level (+1% chance per star).

I'll add an "IdentifyChanceModifier" option, which will be applied after the other calculations.

---------------

How cops are alerted is much more complicated... bored.gif First of all, conditions like "player is moving fast" and "player is climbing" are divided into two categories: ones that alert the cop less if you're far away/facing away/in a vehicle or your warrant is less than 3 stars (I call these "weighted"), and ones that aren't affected by those things (unweighted).

Each condition then has its own effect, for example:

- Cop has identified you before: +25 weighted
- You're holding a knife: +20 weighted
- Walking into a civilian: +10 unweighted
- Walking into a cop: +25 unweighted
- Sitting in heavily damaged car: +(car damage / 10), unweighted
- Near dead or dying person: +(warrant stars * 10), unweighted

All the effects are added up into two totals, then the "AlertModifier" INI setting is applied to each total, then finally they're both applied to the cop's alert level.

The Loot
  • The Loot

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:05 AM

Ah, quite interesting system you've used.

That brings up another idea I had; is there a way to check time of day, or even light levels (not sure if the game supports anything like that)? That way it's harder for them to ID you at night (or in shadows).

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:29 AM Edited by AngryAmoeba, 30 September 2011 - 08:38 AM.

I don't think light levels are possible, but time of day is definitely something I plan to use in v1.0.

v0.9.9 is coming later today, unless I find new bugs.

The Loot
  • The Loot

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

Hope I'm not being a pest, but I had to post this while I was thinking about it.

Have you thought of implementing features like what's in "Wanted Vehicle"? I think I'd enjoy your detection/suspicion system in action for that, too.

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:44 PM

I wasn't going to... But now that you mention it, I've got a pretty good idea of how I would code it. Maybe I'll add that in v1.0 and push back some other stuff into later updates.

Eventually, I want to make you meet a contact somewhere to bribe, and make a system that adds crimes to your warrant even if you escape unidentified, depending on witnesses and time of day. And if possible, I'd like to stop the game from starting a pursuit if there were no witnesses or gunshots.

mirmihir
  • mirmihir

Jerichoholic

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

Wow, Amoeba, you are very very very creative! Keep up the good work!

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:36 AM

The last beta version, v0.9.9, is now in the first post. It's got a hefty change list.

Changes in v0.9.9
- Every consecutive second that cop can see face at close range, +3% chance to ID; resets once cop can't see face anymore. (Imitates "getting a good look" at the player.)
- If you were IDed and you escape a chase, cops will be alerted easily, and the chase will resume if they become fully alerted. Lasts 1 minute for every star on your warrant.
- Cops now notice when you run near them even if they can't see you.
- When you've been IDed and earn additional stars in a chase, you're no longer immediately IDed for the new stars. Now you must be IDed by a new cop or seen by a cop who already IDed you.
- Cops who are down but not dead can now ID you.
- Cops who have died are no longer counted as having IDed you.
- Added "IdentifyChanceModifier" INI setting changes how likely cops are to identify you.
- Added several INI options for tweaking messages.
- Replaced "ShowNotifications" option with separate options for "identified" and "crime added" messages.
- Decreased max bribe cost to $999,999,999 (because that's the max that you can carry).
- Increased default bribe costs for 3+ stars.
- Increased default MaxTrackedCops from 20 to 25.
- Improved cop tracking (several fixes and tweaks).
- Improved cop tailing during investigation (more fixes and tweaks).
- Improved compatibility with Ticket mod by HippieCommunist.
- Fixed occasional "NullReferenceException" and "NonExistingObjectException" script crashes.
- Fixed major bug in calculation of cops' chance to ID.
- Lots of minor fixes and tweaks, and a few optimizations.

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:55 AM

Hotfix!

Changes in v0.9.9 hotfix
- Fixed bug where interrogations wouldn't progress properly.
- Fixed bug where cops would be deleted more often than normal during chases.
- Minor optimization and cleanup.

blackindia
  • blackindia

blackindia78

• Members

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:44 AM

>>> AngryAmoeba
Big thanks!!! I have been playing with this mod a while now and its very exciting. In fact I use most of your mods now. I Really like Bank Account, Weapon Weight and Weapon Storage. Give the game more feeling and realism. Together with Hippiecommunist Contact Missions and Prison mod its great fun to be in Liberty City even after storyplay...

With all the realism already in IV there was two things I couldnt stand. I hated that you could stand in front of cops with your weapons out and they didnt care. Or the fact you could pull out a rpg from your pockets...Thanks for changing this!!!

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

Very glad I could help! biggrin.gif

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:33 AM Edited by AngryAmoeba, 04 December 2011 - 11:22 PM.

So I've been working for a while now on version 1.0 of this mod. I've added a bunch of stuff related to vehicles! biggrin.gif And also several non-vehicle things.

But the script has grown so large and complex that I'd like to recruit some prerelease testers. Hopefully it'll help me catch bugs and make tweaks based on feedback.

If you'd like to help test, just ask. Big thanks to anyone who volunteers!

Here's an abridged list of changes in the update:
- Police can identify vehicles.
- Police can tail vehicles (poorly).
- Stolen vehicles are often reported.
- Traffic felonies alert police.
- When investigating cops lose you, they randomly guess which way you went.
- Improved detection of jumping, bumping people.
- Improved alert indicator flashing.
- More cop speech.
- You have to meet a contact to pay bribes.
- Police radio sounds disabled.
- Lower chance to identify at night and/or in rain.
- More INI settings.
- Bug fixes, tweaks, etc.

Hastings
  • Hastings

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for this great mod! Finally crimes are not forgotten so fast in LC:) Good luck to you!

By the way, could you add tickets for minor offenses? (at one star). Maybe I'm a complete idiot, but I can't find a way to install HippieCommunist's mod...

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:20 AM

Installing HippieCommunist's Ticket mod is actually quite easy: just download his Mod Pack, and find the file Ticket.cs. Place this file in your "scripts" folder done.

Or you could get MulleDK's refactored version here. Just select all that code (from line 1 to line 328), copy & paste it into Notepad, and save it as Ticket.cs in your "scripts" folder.

Good luck, and enjoy the mods!

Hastings
  • Hastings

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:12 PM Edited by Hastings, 13 December 2011 - 09:33 PM.

Yes, I'm doing everything as readme says, but for some reason it causes only bugs instead of tickets - whatever I do, even a copshot, Niko drops gun, stays still for a minute and eventually gets under arrest...

>>- Police can tail vehicles (poorly).
By this you mean cops will ID cars too, right?

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

Hmm, not sure what to tell you about the Ticket script...

But about tailing vehicles, that means cops in cars will try to follow your car. They're pretty bad at it though, crashing and making wrong turns a lot. But yes, the police will also be able to ID your car.

Hastings
  • Hastings

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:38 PM

that means cops in cars will try to follow your car.
That's great! They're really poor in pursuit, it seems that game prefers to spawn new units ahead rather than bothering with chases...

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:55 AM

The version 1.0 update is in the first post! It mainly features vehicle-related changes, but there's also an assortment of other stuff.

Many thanks to all the prerelease testers!

Changes in v1.0
- Police can identify vehicles.
. . . . Outside of chases, investigating cops might ID your wanted vehicle.
. . . . Vehicles with 3 or more stars will alert cops on sight.
. . . . Go to a Pay 'n' Spray to clear your vehicle's wanted level.
- Stolen vehicles have a chance of being reported.
- Cops are alerted when you break certain traffic laws.
- New INI settings, including how much each traffic crime alerts cops.
- You have to meet an NPC to pay bribes.
- Cops are less likely to spot your face/vehicle/weapon at night and/or in rain.
- Disabled the police radio that you hear during chases (can be re-enabled in the INI).
- When a fully alerted cop sees you bump into someone, he'll give you 1 star.
- Within a cop car, all cops inherit the highest alert level among them.
- Alert indicators for cop car passengers are hidden, instead of overlapping the driver's.
- Alert indicators on the map show alert levels in their labels.
- New types of flashes for alert indicators.
- More cop speech:
. . . . comment when you walk into people or you're too close for too long.
. . . . comment when they see you crash your car into another car.
. . . . comment when they've seen reckless driving and pull you out of a car for an interrogation.
. . . . comment when they give up an investigation on foot.
. . . . yell when they're nearby and their indicators are red. (The cop won't flag you for evading police unless he has yelled at you.)
- Workaround for nearsighted cops: Cops in cars and/or investigating have "secondary vision"
. . . . Secondary vision is 360 and its range depends on the cop's alert level.
. . . . There's a chance based on his alert level that he'll see you in this field of view.
- Investigating cops in cars...
. . . . will follow you if you're in a moving car.
. . . . no longer abandon their cars if your car is far away or moving at moderate speed.
- Investigating cops are alerted when you drive away from them (unless driving quite slowly).
- When you break an investigating cop's line of sight, he'll guess which direction you went.
- Improved cop awareness of jumping, running, walking into people, and being near dead people.
- Significantly increased default tracking range setting; made a separate setting for cops in cars.
- Whether guns are "large", "medium" or "small" depends on their dimensions, instead of weapon type.
- Added readme file.
- Lots of fixes and tweaks.

utymmn
  • utymmn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

awesome mod, if only it worked with ticket.cs from hippiecommunist or had an equivalent feature - is that possible through modding either ticket.cs or this ini?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users