Photo

Stutter every 3 seconds or so...

9 replies to this topic
NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:24 PM Edited by NCONiall, 04 July 2011 - 10:04 PM.

Hello there smile.gif

I was wondering if any of you guys could help me here. My problem is that GTA San Andreas stutters every 3 seconds or so for around half a second to a second and it's really irritating. I didn't have this problem before and the stutter problem is non-existent on my laptop but that suffers from FPS issues due to inferior hardware.

The funny thing is, is that this didn't happen before(about a year ago? I've began playing again now) and I didn't downgrade any of my computer's hardware.

I'm playing the game straight out of the box, Version 2 and I have the DVD version, I read somewhere that it could do with the audio streaming from the DVD but that doesn't explain why it doesn't stutter on my laptop...

My PC specifications are as follows:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 1.99GHz(the rare single core monocle.gif )
1.5GB RAM
ATI X1650 Pro GFX Card
Windows XP SP3 32-bit

Yeah they're horrible but they once were able to play GTA SA without this stutter.

Oh and I looked around the forums and found a thread that had the same problem as me, but none of the tweaks there helped me. Here's what I've done:
- Defragged HDD
- Reinstalled game
- Deleted the gta_sa.set file
- Lowered settings to the lowest they can possibly be, the stutter is still there...
- Tried different compatibility modes without much luck

None of them unfortunately work, if there is perhaps a fix out there I'd be glad to hear it smile.gif if not I'll try to live with it confused.gif

Thanks

EDITs:
The same happens in Vice City but not III. And my laptop is Windows 7 SP1 64-bit which doesn't have the stutter. Bit odd seeing as San Andreas is not officially compatible with Windows 7.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:49 PM Edited by lil weasel, 04 July 2011 - 10:04 PM.

Reads like something upgraded and the Game doesn't like it.
Delete GTA_SA.set would be the usuall fix, but since you tried that the next would be a Roll Back to when it worked before. Nasty business that, since it's been a year(?) since you last played a working game.

You didn't say what OS you have.
If it's Vista when you uninstalled did you get the Hidden Virtual files?

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:53 PM Edited by NCONiall, 04 July 2011 - 10:04 PM.

Yeah strange that isn't it? Perhaps it's something I installed? You know any programs that San Andreas doesn't work well with? Oh and do you mean gta_sa.set or .exe?
And my OS is in the top post under PC specs smile.gif Windows XP SP3 32-bit.

This just in, the same occurs on Vice City confused.gif but not III.
Made some edits to the OP, laptop is Windows 7 if you're wondering.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

Yes, it is supposed to be .SET, and yes I do need new glasses but SSA won't do/pay anything until August. No fun working with a magnifying glass.

Something I remember now, was a problem Girisb had with the Newest IE, but I don't remember exactly what.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

That is more than likely a SP3 issue for XP, so, try "rolling back" to SP2-it is easy, since Windows automatically creates a restore point right before it installs the SP3 upgrade...that should get a little improvement, but since you are on a Single-core processor, you can't really expect much of a performance gain...I have XP SP3 on my other laptop, and the only problem I have is sound stuttering issues(also with V2 Original copy)...So, the game can be buggy on XP? It seems SP2 for XP was the best one for games...

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:28 PM

@lil weasel
Hehe love your sense of humour mate tounge.gif as for the IE thing, worth a shot I never use IE but I also have the latest version of IE on my laptop. confused.gif

@radioman
Yeah that could be very well the problem since the last time I played SA on the PC fully(as in going though the missions and all) I was running it on SP2 at least I think so, but it's sort off a last resort seeing as it could hurt my other games performance, but I'll test it out if I get time. As for the single core performance issues, not a bother I played GTA SA maxed out and it's very fluid(except for the stutter of course wink.gif ).

If there really is no solution then I'll roll back to SP2 to see if that works, if it doesn't I'll do my best to live with it. confused.gif wink.gif

Thanks for your help. smile.gif

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

Another thought. Did you stop All programs that might be running in the background?

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:42 PM

Yeah except for the Anti-Virus, there seems to be no way of closing it down so I guess I could close it down via Task Manager. I'll give that a shot but I don't think it will work since I use the same AV on my laptop.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:58 PM

Kapersky by chance?

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members