Creating A GTA Concept Thread

24 replies to this topic
blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:48 PM Edited by blitz, 24 January 2012 - 01:32 PM.

user posted image

Hi there, in this thread I will give you tips and hints to make a successful concept thread. The first and seconds topics were created by ScratchCard (who left and came back) and TommyMufc-Champs (Who changed username, therefore cannot further edit his old topic), but there hasn't been one for a while now so I thought I might as well create a third version.

The first step is choosing what kind of thread you're planning on making.
It can be:

•i. An idea/wish/location/theory
•ii. A GTA-based concept thread
•iii. Creating A Poll
•iv. Creating a DLC Concept Thread
•v. Q & A

Before you post a new thread, stop and think if the thread will lead to a proper discussion. If you do not see such thing on your thread's future, don't even bother to post it as it will be locked by mods anyways.

•If it's something you want to see in the next GTA, click here.
•If it's the location the next game will be set in click here.
•If you have made any artwork, post it here.
•If it's your own made map, post it here or here.
For an organized list of all concept threads, click here.

ii. A GTA-based concept thread
What is a concept thread?
A concept thread is basically a fan-made topic (not official). It can also be what you think the game's going to be like, but you have to keep in mind that for a successful concept thread, certain things such as a location, storyline, characters, vehicles, and much more must be added by you.

Here are some examples of successful concept threads:

These may give you ideas, but don't steal from them or you can get in trouble!

Please keep in mind that making concept threads take a lot of time and effort, so before making one you have to remember that there will be a lot of work to do, so no laziness!

Here are some tips:
•Update the thread on a regular interest, make it better, so the readers (and yourself) don't lose interest.
•Be original, let your ideas flow. A good section to show your originality is the mini-games and activities part, put stuff that you would have enjoyed in IV!
•Have a nice layout. like this. You can request for a logo and other graphics on the GFX & Tutorials section of the forums.
•Spell the title right. Seriously.
•Try to have as little mistakes as possible. If you want, you can copy and past your whole thing onto a word document before posting and having spell-check do it for you wink.gif
•Put thought into everything you write, especially the setting.
•Details are very important. What songs will be included? Who's the main character? The more details, the better your topic.
•Try not to use characters from other games. Some are fine, though. But you don't want to create a III and IV era crossover.

Here's a great topic that will help you with your images and such: BB Codes.

Want to share your ideas and get opinions from other concept thread makers? Check out The Creator's Lounge for that.

iii. Creating A Poll
This hasn't got much to do with the whole idea of concept threads, but I'll just throw it in anyways.

There are a lot of pointless polls here on the forums, especially on this sections. It is important that you think before creating a poll, you also need to make sure that the poll hasn't been created before. You can check that by using the search function.

Try to add as many answers as possible, so members can have a wide variety of answers to pick on. If you've created a poll and feel the need to ask something, then you might as well ask a moderator. Here is an example of a pointless poll: Clicky.

You see? Ask a question you're actually curious about, if you're not, don't even bother.

iv. Creating a DLC Concept Thread
Creating a DLC concept thread is a lot like creating any regular concept thread, except that the story has crossovers with the original game and has some similarities. For example, TLaD and TBoGT are DLC's of GTA IV, if you didn't know already.

Here are some examples of DLC concepts:

Here's an excellent guide made by akavari: So You Want To Make A DLC?

Usually, when making DLC's people tend to actually make up their own missions. If you are planning on doing so, try to keep it to a maximum of 40 missions, too many may result boring to the reader and in some cases to yourself.
Also, some people find DLC's stupid because Rockstar already said no more DLC's will be released towards existent games. The creator knows that, so don't go around saying that because people could take that in an offensive way.

v. Q & A
Q: Who controls the section?
A: The section is controlled by XTREME0235

Q: Why did my topic get locked?
A: It was either stupid, incomplete, or you didn't put much thought into it confused.gif

Q: Why aren't people replying to my topic?
A: Be patient, keep on updating it regularly and soon enough you'll get more and more members replying. There's also a possibility that you didn't put much though into it.

Q: Why is this section called GTA Series Chat?
A: Because it's were we discuss about the whole franchise, not specific games. Concept threads go here too.

Credit goes to ScratchCard and Tommy. for making v1 and v2 of this, plus helping me make this. Thanks guys smile.gif
  • Slave Boy, gtamann123 and methbb like this

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

Great work Blitz and I'm glad that a good member made V3 cookie.gif

If you need any help I'm just a PM away icon14.gif

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Tommy. @ Sunday, Jul 3 2011, 14:50)
Great work Blitz and I'm glad that a good member made V3 cookie.gif

If you need any help I'm just a PM away icon14.gif

Thanks Tommy, I will keep that in mind wink.gif

Sam998
  • Sam998

Banned

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:58 AM

Really nice work. Some of the things you mentioned could really reduce the number of useless/bad topics that get locked. I believe a lot of making a good concept thread is just practice at writing, but this is still a valuable resource for newbs. I believe it should be pinned.

Also it's good to see my thread is the fourth example biggrin.gif

SunshineBoy
  • SunshineBoy

Black Forest Victim

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

Nice one blitz.

kmlwin.1996
  • kmlwin.1996

Hold up™

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:32 PM Edited by kmlwin.1996, 05 July 2011 - 01:36 PM.

Nice one. tounge.gif

I'll try to make my own concept thread one day.

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:40 AM

Well Im surprised this hasnt been pinned.

Sam998
  • Sam998

Banned

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (Tommy. @ Wednesday, Jul 6 2011, 02:40)
Well Im surprised this hasnt been pinned.

I second that. Also this is commendation worthy in my opinion.

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:30 AM

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure XREME0235 hasn't been very active around here, so he probably didn't see the topic smile.gif

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

Another thing that needs to happen though is members need to give feedback, whether it be critical or a compliment. I'm going to look through all the topics on this page now and do just that, I urge you to join me.

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

Yes, but tbh GTA Series Chat hasn't been as active since it was re-positioned to the bottom.
I've seen a couple of older posts and from what I've heard there used to be new concept threads every week!
Also, thanks for the feedback guys, means a lot smile.gif

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

Yeah it is a real shame to see GTA Series Chat like this. Hardly any decent concepts are coming out anymore confused.gif

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

Great topic blitz, keep it up. wink.gif

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:18 AM

Thanks miro, means a lot icon14.gif

XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:46 AM

I'm going to pin this one, it could be very helpful for newcomers.
Good work blitz. icon14.gif

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:30 AM

Thanks xtreme, much appreciated smile.gif

cas-97
  • cas-97

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for all the advice my GTA got locked i'm kinda mad but i don't blame them there wasn't much detail so i've delayed my GTA till it's completely finished best to do so ehh!

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (cas-97 @ Friday, Jul 29 2011, 12:58)
Thanks for all the advice my GTA got locked i'm kinda mad but i don't blame them there wasn't much detail so i've delayed my GTA till it's completely finished best to do so ehh!

Just saw your post, if you have any questions whatsoever, just PM me and I'll do my best to help you smile.gif

sebi2011
  • sebi2011

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:53 AM

hello!

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

Hey Blitz, you should add a link to The Creators Lounge topic made by Mati icon14.gif

I would give a link but it's a pinned topic so it's easy to find

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (Tommy. @ Tuesday, Jan 3 2012, 14:15)
Hey Blitz, you should add a link to The Creators Lounge topic made by Mati icon14.gif

I would give a link but it's a pinned topic so it's easy to find

Thanks Tommy!

I updated the main post, thanks for the kind words everyone. smile.gif

LostInDreams
  • LostInDreams

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

any ideas which provider has more than 1GB Webspace ?

i'd offer a modded gta3.img + handling.cfg

the Scheme is DRIFT

Big_Balls_T
  • Big_Balls_T

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

Right- GTA V is clearly a masterpiece, it's an amazing game, but I found it boring. I think Rockstar needs to quit basing its GTA's in the USA and start somewhere fresh. Yes I understand that GTA mimics American capitalism and so on but so what, these are all transferable skills. I think the next GTA should be set in Russia, it could be epic. A modern day Moscow-esque city, full of corrupt billionaires, politicians, vice. I also think Rockstar could do a fantastic job in making a Russian city whilst pointing fun at Russian society, we got a small taste of this feel in GTA IV so why not? 

It needs to be kept fresh and GTA V simply felt tired and it wasn't the game I thought it would be. Forget the USA, give it a break, though I do love the Carcer City idea (only if it's based on Detroit though, not 'down the road' from Liberty'

PS: Why is it that everyone wants GTA to be set in the USA, is it because you all live in the USA? I live in London and I certainly don't want to see GTA ever set in London...again! 

:beerhat:

Dirty 80's
  • Dirty 80's

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

Sorry if I'm not supposed to ask here but I have a related question:
Am I allowed to make a certain amount of "reserved" posts after the main one for better organization? Or would it count as spam/double posting? Although it's not technically a bump if the thread has just been created. I've seen a few concept threads with several posts by the OP, right after the first post and after each other.

Vanto
  • Vanto

Stupid and sensual Morgan Freeman

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

Sorry if I'm not supposed to ask here but I have a related question:
Am I allowed to make a certain amount of "reserved" posts after the main one for better organization? Or would it count as spam/double posting? Although it's not technically a bump if the thread has just been created. I've seen a few concept threads with several posts by the OP, right after the first post and after each other.

Yes, you can have some reserved. Don't have an excesive amount of them.

A tip: Make a reserved post 2 minutes since the last post, since if you make another post before it passes 2 minutes, it will be merged with the previous one.

• Gregers08 and Dirty 80's like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users