Photo

Changing Trends

10 replies to this topic
visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I'd like some honest feedback/criticism; at the moment GTA cities are generally static, they do not evolve over the story save for a new radio station occasionally and a slight increase in the length of one bridge in IV. These are physical changes, what I propose is Sociological changes, with your character, and thus you, as the catalyst.

An example: late in the game you are a dominant member of a powerful gang. You are known, respected and feared by the police, your fellow gang members and the public/enemy gangs respectively. NPCs call out to you by your first name on the street. How you act, what you wear, and what you drive, affects trends and fashions in the populace. If you mod your vehicle in a "lowrider" style, you will start to see others do the same, because your actions have affected the style at large. At the point where you are the dominant player in the city, then everything and everyone should defer to you, including the police: you can now get away with crimes you wouldn't dream of committing earlier in the story. You will appear on TV and the radio, a superstar, and the press will report on what you say with the positive/negative reply feature, even putting a spin on it. This will give you the rewarding feeling of being in complete control by the end of the game, not just of assets and properties, but of hearts and minds.

King Of Monra
  • King Of Monra

When someone close to you dies, move seats

• Members

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:21 PM

Saints row?
sarcasm.gif sad.gif

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:31 PM

I don't like the idea of people copying what you wear, or the style of your car. It seems a bit strange that everyone would love a criminal and idolise them. You kill people, you shouldn't be loved. If you had a high profile surely it would make your criminal activites more well known. The police wouldn't be afraid of you no matter how much power you had, they'd be desperate to put you in jail. So if you start beating someone up in the street they're not going to believe their luck.

I wouldn't like people acknowledging me in the street either, it'd just feel weird with people saying "heya fella". Plus after you hear it the first time it would get tiring pretty fast. Maybe you could hear mentions of your name on the radio, like "Suspected mob boss ...... was being hunted by police after a rise in gangland shootings. Police say they believe he is behind this increase in violence." But if it went too far it would just feel a little weird to me.

AnthMUFC-Champs
  • AnthMUFC-Champs

MUFC-CHAMPS

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

Maybe your criminal associates could follow your trend but i cant see why the general public would within the game.

Silentype
  • Silentype

Lone wolf

• Members

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Thursday, Jun 30 2011, 17:31)
I don't like the idea of people copying what you wear, or the style of your car. It seems a bit strange that everyone would love a criminal and idolise them. You kill people, you shouldn't be loved. If you had a high profile surely it would make your criminal activites more well known. The police wouldn't be afraid of you no matter how much power you had, they'd be desperate to put you in jail. So if you start beating someone up in the street they're not going to believe their luck.

I wouldn't like people acknowledging me in the street either, it'd just feel weird with people saying "heya fella". Plus after you hear it the first time it would get tiring pretty fast. Maybe you could hear mentions of your name on the radio, like "Suspected mob boss ...... was being hunted by police after a rise in gangland shootings. Police say they believe he is behind this increase in violence." But if it went too far it would just feel a little weird to me.

While I agree with what your saying, i'm sure you know your statement about people loving and idolising a criminal is wrong.(seeing as there are a good amount of people that love and idolize criminals. Now that's not to say they want to be them in all cases, but there definitely is a fascination.)

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE (Silentype @ Friday, Jul 1 2011, 01:55)
While I agree with what your saying, i'm sure you know your statement about people loving and idolising a criminal is wrong.(seeing as there are a good amount of people that love and idolize criminals. Now that's not to say they want to be them in all cases, but there definitely is a fascination.)

Yeh you're right about people being fascinated by criminals in that respect. But it seemed to me like the OP was comparing it to being like a movie star or famous singer. Plus in GTA you go on rampages killing civilians, so you're more of a terrorist than a criminal lol. "Hey look it's .... he murdered about 50 innocent bystanders the other day, but damn the boy can dress. I gotta get me those shoes!"

Just wouldn't make much sense.

lukb13
  • lukb13

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:02 AM

I'm wearing a shirt similair to the one Tommy Vercetti wears, my 3 favorite cars are 57 BelAir, 64 Impala, and Dodge Viper.

Long_Haired_Boy
  • Long_Haired_Boy

Whilst everyone's lost, the battle is won

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:41 AM

Maybe a glory system.

dethbiker
  • dethbiker

basketball and heavy metal.

• Members

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:51 AM

While some other dude already mentioned this,I'll say it again anyway:Saints Row Much?

Long_Haired_Boy
  • Long_Haired_Boy

Whilst everyone's lost, the battle is won

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:55 AM

GTA Pac Man Much. Lol

TheMarinov
  • TheMarinov

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:05 AM

Unlike everyone else, I totally agree with this. He said that you'd start seeing trends, and by that he doesn't mean that as soon as you go out and buy a lowrider everyone will think "Oh I'll get a lowrider", no, you'll start seeing a gradual increase in people driving lowriders. Your gang members are obviously more likely to be driving one, but that doesn't mean that if someone in the general public sees a lowrider he wouldn't want to get one... Trends build slowly.

The same goes for the clothes, the whole "jeans worn at the back of our knees" craze was started by gangs in the 90s, yet you still almost every male teenager follow that as a fashion rule now.. does that mean they're gang affiliated? No, they just like the style.

Point is, you don't have to be a criminal to follow trends set by criminals

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users