Photo

OFWGKTADGAFLLBBLSBFBN

92 replies to this topic
Rokas.
  • Rokas.

play it f*cking loud

• Members

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

I don't see how their music is sh*tty? I think their beats are original. I'm not talking about other members, but Tyler really has a thing for beats.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

Art is art. I'd much rather hear about Tyler's alter-ego embarking on a murder spree of all his friends than listen to just another rapper talking about money, cars and bitches. It's a different demographic and it's all about telling a new story through an existing medium. We wouldn't have some of the sub-genres we do if artists didn't deviate. It's clearly working because OF's popularity has soared in the past 2 years or so. It isn't for everyone, no, and I will admit some of the themes wear a bit thin but on the whole I find his wordplay thought-provoking, challenging and clever in places. Plus, his beats (and other members of OF) are pretty solid.

kareljanis
  • kareljanis

Player lover

• Members

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Sakuya @ Thursday, Dec 15 2011, 08:58)
QUOTE (kareljanis @ Thursday, Dec 15 2011, 00:39)
But with tyler and the others...it just seems so gimmicky. Being shocking just to get attention, it kinda pisses me off.

Tyler and the others? Pretty sure Tyler and Earl are the only ones who do that. It's pretty typical these days to say someone only does something for attention. I think it's bullsh*t and pretentious to say that's why he does it. The dude just likes to write about that sh*t. Just because it's kind of out of the ordinary... That kind of thinking stifles creativity. Same with this "hipster" nonsense. Anything with a little bit of individuality gets labeled hipster because internet armchair critics think anything that deviates from the status quo is "doing it for attention." f*ck people.

You know, people said the same thing about Eminem and South Park in the late 90s/early 00s. Interesting how they've become two beacons of genuine creativity in a continuously stagnating popular culture scene.

Hodgy Beats > all of them, is what I'm saying. I love the Dena Tape; MellowHype BlackenedWhite, and I'm waiting for Numbers and for him to do a proper solo release.

MellowHype does that with some songs. Personally, i dont find substance in a lot of the more horrorcore sh*t odd future puts out.

Twang.
  • Twang.

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (kareljanis @ Saturday, Dec 17 2011, 16:24)
horrorcore

Come on, now...

Anyway, Mellowhype has a grand total of 1 song that's like that, 64, and it's not even a good song. Besides "horror" is pretty subjective. I find Tyler's lyrics to be as pleasant as a mid-July afternoon rain shower. But that Adele chick...God damn, the nerve of that woman.

Don't get me wrong though, you're free to not like them all you want. I'm just disagreeing with you.

kareljanis
  • kareljanis

Player lover

• Members

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (Sakuya @ Monday, Dec 19 2011, 02:29)
QUOTE (kareljanis @ Saturday, Dec 17 2011, 16:24)
horrorcore

Come on, now...

Anyway, Mellowhype has a grand total of 1 song that's like that, 64, and it's not even a good song. Besides "horror" is pretty subjective. I find Tyler's lyrics to be as pleasant as a mid-July afternoon rain shower. But that Adele chick...God damn, the nerve of that woman.

Don't get me wrong though, you're free to not like them all you want. I'm just disagreeing with you.

Are you just being sarcastic at this point?

Twang.
  • Twang.

• The Connection

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (kareljanis @ Monday, Dec 19 2011, 03:20)

?

Look, I get the 'horror" part, but there is nothing "core" about Odd Future.

kareljanis
  • kareljanis

Player lover

• Members

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:25 AM

QUOTE (Sakuya @ Monday, Dec 19 2011, 22:52)
QUOTE (kareljanis @ Monday, Dec 19 2011, 03:20)

?

Look, I get the 'horror" part, but there is nothing "core" about Odd Future.

Do you know what horrorcore is? I was wondering if you were being sarcastic cause you said Tyler's lyrics are pleasant

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

So, Purple Naked Ladies dropped today. Just got it off iTunes, loving it so far.

Twang.
  • Twang.

• The Connection

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (kareljanis @ Monday, Dec 19 2011, 21:25)
Do you know what horrorcore is?

Obviously I know better than you do if you think OF is it. You see, by definition, anything with "core" in it has to be derivative of hardcore, which they most certainly are not. If you call anything [genre]-core and it is not derivative of hardcore, it's lies and slander. There was a trend a few years back where every band and their mother was combining what they did with hardcore (read: harsh vocals and breakdowns) and called it "[x]-core." Most of it sucked ass. Soon, everybody who has an mp3 file or two was calling everything whatevercore. Since then, it has become the most useless suffix ever written. Some people use it in a derogatory manner which basically says "it's like this, but terrible." Some people use it in a neutral manner which says "it's like this, but I don't know what the f*ck I'm talking about." Neither version is any less deserving of a punch in the face.

@Craig: I checked it out, it's great. It seems like a pretty natural evolution of both Jet Age and Raunchboots. That said, it doesn't replace Jet Age in my mind. Makes me wonder if they have anything in the works. Anyway, my personal favorites so far are She Dgaf, Ode to a Dream, and Lincoln.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

I loved She Dgaf and I have a soft spot in my heart for Cocaine. It really shows how far Left Brain has come as a vocalist and it's quite unsettling to hear them say I should try it "just once". It's definitely one of the stranger tracks, but I enjoy it.

Padmasana
  • Padmasana

say wha?

• The Connection

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

Purple Naked Ladies is THE sh*t.

Loving "Cocaine" a ton.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Padmasana @ Wednesday, Dec 21 2011, 16:05)

Loving "Cocaine" a ton.

Holla.

Best OF release this year? MellowHype would take that crown, but to me it felt way too short.

Rokas.
  • Rokas.

play it f*cking loud

• Members

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (Padmasana @ Wednesday, Dec 21 2011, 16:05)

Exactly what I wanted to write. Levie after Cocaine was f*cking amazing. Really chill. This whole album is like a relax thing after Goblin

HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

I Left My Wallet In El Segundo

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:40 AM

Tyler is giving some bullsh*t excuse to start rapping about money and sh*t.

At first he says "Oh, I'm not rapping about the sh*t in Bastard anymore because I was broke as f*ck". And it's like, seriously? What about Goblin? Are we inclined to believe that you're actually a rapist and serial killer? I can't wait for Wolf, but hopefully he stays Tyler, rather than "General Rapper".

[Supreme]

King Mystery
  • King Mystery

Playa

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Best. Band name. Ever.

Nebby
  • Nebby

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (HydraulicWaRiOr @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 21:40)

At first he says "Oh, I'm not rapping about the sh*t in Bastard anymore because I was broke as f*ck". And it's like, seriously? What about Goblin? Are we inclined to believe that you're actually a rapist and serial killer? I can't wait for Wolf, but hopefully he stays Tyler, rather than "General Rapper".

[Supreme]

Tyler is an honest asshole. Have you seen some of his interview's? dozingoff.gif

And even if he does become ultra mainstream than so be it; we still have Frank, Earl, Mike, and etc...

I'd hate to see Tyler turn like that but money change's people... icon14.gif

HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE (Method @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 04:19)
QUOTE (HydraulicWaRiOr @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 21:40)

[Supreme]

Tyler is an honest asshole. Have you seen some of his interview's? dozingoff.gif

And even if he does become ultra mainstream than so be it; we still have Frank, Earl, Mike, and etc...

I'd hate to see Tyler turn like that but money change's people... icon14.gif

Of course, I've seen all of his interviews biggrin.gif

But what I don't want Tyler to do is go against something that isn't him. It seems like all of the good rappers have been making sh*tty mainstream songs lately, especially Mac Miller, and "Loud" was horrible.

Being a rapper myself, I need something that inspires me. I can't really relate to money and bitches like I can to general negative emotion. And it's annoying when I hear about the same sh*t whenever I play a song, but there are certain things that I want to hear from Big Sean, Rick Ross, etc, and there are certain things I'd like to hear from Tyler, Mac Miller, and other rappers. It's only cool when people are talking about struggle, not something that I can't understand as someone who isn't rich and famous.

[Supreme]

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:48 PM Edited by Allen14n, 02 May 2012 - 05:50 PM.

I like their attitude and style, but their music is only so-so. I like them mostly because they're funny. They have a lot of potential in terms of music, though. I strongly dislike their subject matter because it's distasteful. Honestly, it seems like they're all hype just because they're a group of carefree beings.

Mati
  • Mati

f*ck the planet till it spins on a broken axis

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Damn, I f*cking love Hodgy. Especially Bad Candy.

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:45 AM

QUOTE (Craig @ Friday, Dec 16 2011, 17:48)
Art is art. I'd much rather hear about Tyler's alter-ego embarking on a murder spree of all his friends than listen to just another rapper talking about money, cars and bitches. It's a different demographic and it's all about telling a new story through an existing medium. We wouldn't have some of the sub-genres we do if artists didn't deviate. It's clearly working because OF's popularity has soared in the past 2 years or so. It isn't for everyone, no, and I will admit some of the themes wear a bit thin but on the whole I find his wordplay thought-provoking, challenging and clever in places. Plus, his beats (and other members of OF) are pretty solid.

That's what makes Odd Future really stand out. I have a feeling the other members in the group would just be the typical rappers who brag about money in all their songs if Tyler didn't influence them so much. This is different from the hip hop we would usually listen to. Odd Future is pretty much a punk rock band. Tyler even said so himself.

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:33 AM

I'm much more a fan of their punk, don't give a f*ck attitude, and their trippy visual art than their music. I like the stuff Left Brain produces though, he should do something for Earl. Actually I just don't like Earl's beats in general, his lyrics are great though.

This is much better than the original in my opinion (and actually introduced me to OFWGKTA)

I find their anti-religion trolling to be hilarious, but not in itself. At my school there are these kids who talk about which rappers are satanic, and what the Illuminati actually is, all class (they usually come to the conclusion that every rapper except lil' wayne and lil' B are evil, and laugh at any religion that isn't Christianity). It's unbearable, but I chuckled a little to myself when they were talking about the video for Yonkers being a reason for god to cast Tyler to hell alone.

dansgas1000
  • dansgas1000

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

yeah, about the name....

HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

• Members

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

Niggas be hatin' on Frankie and sh*t just cause he's bi and sh*t.

But in a more proper context, his announcement about his sexuality has stirred up controversy. I personallly think it's a publicity stunt, but reguardless of who he is, I still f*cking love his music.

In other news:

[Supreme]

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

it's obviously a publicity stunt, odd future are good when it comes to things like that.

Verdant
  • Verdant

Rasta Blasta!

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:56 AM

I love OFWGKTA.
Apparently there is going to be a new album soon. Haven't looked up or heard much about it.
I love the Loiter Squad episodes.
Especially when Tyler and that Frog start talking Jibberish or something and there like, "Shine Shine Shine, Dolo Shine Shine Shine"
Here is the link:

They are going to do a new season of it apparently.

SickBoi
  • SickBoi

Formerly, KFranchise. THESE MODS CANT CONTROL ME

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:17 AM

OF is a decent hip hop group, but it's like they wanna be the biggest douche of hip hop. In most of their interviews, you just hear "f*ck this, f*ck that" and not taking a stance on real world issues.

They are like a PBS kids show with cursing. Your antics are just predictable, or routines. Instead of you out growing your fanbase, they will out grow you.

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Frank Ocean is the only good thing to come out of the group. The rest are just terrible.

HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

• Members

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (KFranchise @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 04:17)
OF is a decent hip hop group, but it's like they wanna be the biggest douche of hip hop. In most of their interviews, you just hear "f*ck this, f*ck that" and not taking a stance on real world issues.

They are like a PBS kids show with cursing. Your antics are just predictable, or routines. Instead of you out growing your fanbase, they will out grow you.

They don't care about world issues. They want to be happy doing what they do best. Implying that they should is ignorant as f*ck. I'll quote Radicals.
QUOTE (Radicals)
f*ck your traditions, f*ck your positions
f*ck your religion, f*ck your decisions
See, they're not mine, so you gotta let 'em go,
We can be ourselves but you gotta let us know

They don't need an opinion. They're musicians. They have fun telling us to be a little more independent with our decisions instead of living our lives in this span of control. And I respect that, because their philosophy has introduced me to a new idealism. They aren't being douches. They're young, smart, and they're just being theirselves. There's nothing wrong with that.

[Supreme]

Zaniacle
  • Zaniacle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

Funk Volume > Odd Future.
That is all.

3Hunt.
  • 3Hunt.

Yeah.

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (Zaniacle @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 20:47)
Funk Volume > Odd Future.
That is all.

Nice life you living there, huh?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users