• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic
fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

I was thinking about this the other day. It might be helpful if all newly registering members got a "form" PM regarding policy here.

Welcome to GTA Forums, [insert name here]!

We have several great sections you may be interested in. Looking for cheat codes, help, or just to discuss your favorite games? Want to join in the speculation and get all the latest updates on GTA V? Check out the GTA series section for all this and more! Want to learn how to, ask questions about, and showcases the ways you modify your GTA game? Check out the GTA modding section. We also have a non-GTA section, the Community, where you can discuss music, other games, politics, sports, and even graphic design.

All we ask is that you respect the few rules we have in place here. Please try not to double post- there is an "edit" function that will allow you to change anything you need to. Please do not post in, or "bump", topics whose last post is beyond a reasonable interval. Try to respect other members and practice common internet courtesy. If you have any other questions, we suggest you look at the GTA Forums newbie guide. It is full of helpful hints and tips, as well as answers to just about ever question about the forums imaginable.

Good luck and have fun!

-The GTA Forums staff

(this is an automated message, please do not reply)

Perhaps something similar to this could be auto-sent to everyone who joins? I know that anyone who posts a mod on GTA garage gets a PM- why couldn't this be adapted so that all new members get this?

Of course, I haven't activated an account in almost a year, and I don't remember what happens, so for all I know it may already be in place. whatsthat.gif

Just my two bits.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

Nice idea icon14.gif , You probably should add:

DISCLAIMER: GTAForums is not responsible for any nervous breakdowns nor mental diseases caused from members as such as Sam998, nor GTALover97. Please make sure that you are taking your medication before entering. You have been warned NIGGA! BOOYAH!

ska
  • ska

Hemiplegia

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:26 PM

Probably would require a plugin, and I doubt that would even work considering the supposed 'mess' that is the ACP. I do like the idea, though.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:47 PM

I messed around with the ACP on a IPB V1.3 board once, and if I recall correctly, there was an option to send welcome PM's to new users upon registration.

It's a good suggestion, but chances are the majority of people wouldn't even bother to read it.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

This has been discussed many times before, and always comes to the same conclusion, people won't read it. I know I don't when a forum I register at sends me one of those, I tend to ignore it the same goes for a welcome PM. The best way is just to keep an eye on any new members and just help steer them in the right direction.

blitz
  • blitz

yeah no

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:22 AM

Wel, there should be like an "Introduce Yourself" topic then?

Moth
  • Moth

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:37 AM Edited by The General., 29 June 2011 - 05:39 AM.

QUOTE (blitz. @ Wednesday, Jun 29 2011, 01:22)
Wel, there should be like an "Introduce Yourself" topic then?

Pointless, since most new members stay in the GTA side of the forums. A topic that welcomes new members would fit in the General Chat, and do we really need more spam in that section?

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:39 AM

Don't really need a specific topic as people would just ignore it and post anyway, let them post they'll either get eaten by the wolves or eventually find their feet around the forums.

Sam998
  • Sam998

Banned

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:05 AM Edited by Sam998, 03 July 2011 - 04:08 AM.

Promotheux you contributed so much with that post...Very nice work indeed.

I believe they would read that PM if you kept it short. The PM system on this forum is really effective because a pop up comes up saying you got one, which really brings your attention to it. As long as it wasn't overwhelmingly long I think a good percentage of people would read it. Those who don't have dug their own internet grave.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

I'm literally 25 years old and I completely ignore those "welcome" PMs. You really think that some 13 year old who is more Monster Energy Drink ™ than human is going to take the time to read it?

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (anuj @ Sunday, Jul 3 2011, 13:51)
I'm literally 25 years old and I completely ignore those "welcome" PMs. You really think that some 13 year old who is more Monster Energy Drink ™ than human is going to take the time to read it?

It was just a suggestion... sad.gif

Go ahead and lock this.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (Sam998 @ Sunday, Jul 3 2011, 04:05)
Promotheux you contributed so much with that post...Very nice work indeed.

Its PrometheusX. Can't you see it? Promo? seriously? whatsthat.gif

But your welcome anyway, I can see that you loved my idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users