What band has influenced you the most?

45 replies to this topic
GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

There's always been three really important artists/bands in my life: Eminem, Pink Floyd and Damien Rice. Without them, I'd have nothing to fall back on. They all have something that I can connect with so no matter what mood I'm in, they'll always satisfy. R.H.C.P and Metallica have had a massive influence too. Chad Smith and Lars Ulrich inspired me to pick up some sticks and learn the drums. Trent Reznor and Mike Patton have to be mentioned also. They're both incredible.

JBC00PER
  • JBC00PER

Dirty Vulture.

• Members

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:26 PM Edited by JBC00PER, 12 January 2012 - 06:49 PM.

Sabbath all the wayy, Metallica second, Glassjaw, Brand New then Converge and Green Day.

Marwin
  • Marwin

mr quick has flown from the cosmic zoo

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

Most of all, The Jimi Hendrix experience. Then comes The Who.

• Ronin

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:37 PM Edited by Markwey, 12 January 2012 - 08:16 PM.

Bruce Springsteen is one of the most influential musicians to me.

And ZZ Top.

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

Whereas inspiration is some artist and/or their work having an elevating and stimulating influence upon yours, influence is more like a tangible thing affecting the perfunctory way of musical expression, and a lot of artists have influenced me in a specific way of performing - lyrical, instrumental, etc.

As far as lyricism and vocalization goes, my rhythmical poetry has most dominantly been influenced by Kanye, Guru and Nas, not to forget less influencing yet equally appreciated names like Eminem, and artists like Bow Wow who must've been huge influences as they were the first ones I really, really listened to. My biggest lyrical influences come from everyone mentioned above, and a bunch of other names like Mike Shinoda, Billie Joe Armstrong, Pete Wentz, Bob Marley... The list goes on for a long, from genre and decade to another.

Instrumentally, my guitar playing is heavily influenced by Slash, Jimi, John Frusciante and, cheesy enough, my father and my big brother. My instrumental rap production's been influenced mainly by, surprise surprise, Kanye, Premo, Nicolay and a lot of other legendary producers.

Banks.
  • Banks.

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

Not a band but Dave Grohl inspires me. I mean he was the drummer of Nirvana, a big band which were popular and everybody rated Dave a brilliant drummer. After Kurt passed away he had the balls to start a new band and he decided to be a front man and play guitar! Foo Fighters was gamble which payed off big time.

Tupac inspires me too. He was interesting man and made amazing music, there was always a interesting meaning behind each song he made. A great artist.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:18 AM Edited by Slamman, 14 January 2012 - 07:32 PM.

U F O

http://www.beatswork...UFO/family.html

I neglected Pink Floyd last time, but for years now, PF and UFO for me are all you need musically in life, all their songs, every album, it's all CLASS musically

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

THAT fella.

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:02 PM Edited by AlexGTAGamer, 14 January 2012 - 04:04 PM.

Queen and then The Who for me. icon14.gif

I was inspired to want to play guitar thanks to Brian May, but when I couldn't even play my ma's old acoustic guitar, I turned to the drum set thanks to Keith Moon.

Though I must admit, the Bee Gees and Phil Collins have been great insperations to me too. smile.gif

JoshGTAfreak
  • JoshGTAfreak

Homie

• Members

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE (Cheat @ Saturday, Jan 14 2012, 09:24)
Whereas inspiration is some artist and/or their work having an elevating and stimulating influence upon yours, influence is more like a tangible thing affecting the perfunctory way of musical expression, and a lot of artists have influenced me in a specific way of performing - lyrical, instrumental, etc.

As far as lyricism and vocalization goes, my rhythmical poetry has most dominantly been influenced by Kanye, Guru and Nas, not to forget less influencing yet equally appreciated names like Eminem, and artists like Bow Wow who must've been huge influences as they were the first ones I really, really listened to. My biggest lyrical influences come from everyone mentioned above, and a bunch of other names like Mike Shinoda, Billie Joe Armstrong, Pete Wentz, Bob Marley... The list goes on for a long, from genre and decade to another.

Instrumentally, my guitar playing is heavily influenced by Slash, Jimi, John Frusciante and, cheesy enough, my father and my big brother. My instrumental rap production's been influenced mainly by, surprise surprise, Kanye, Premo, Nicolay and a lot of other legendary producers.

I'm glad someone else on here loves Billie Joe and Pete Wentz as much as I do icon14.gif Awesome dudes who have written brilliant songs. They've influenced me a lot too.

It's hard to say who has influenced me other then these two. Mark Hoppus is worth a mention, he's found a way of maturing that isn't boring biggrin.gif Even though I don't listen to Foo Fighter or Nirvana, I would love to be more like Dave Grohl. If everyone was a little more like him, we'd be in a great world.

Achlys
  • Achlys

Do You Want Me On My Knees?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:43 PM Edited by Achlys, 11 February 2017 - 08:45 PM.

Well it's not really influence, but I feel this sort of spiritual connection with some of GG Alin's songs, especially this song.

Like I've said before, I'm a masochist, so the lyrics really speak to my soul.
Abuse me, kick me, cut me, stab me, axe me, knife me, fork me, f*ck me, suck me, beat me, f*ck me, blow me, eat me, stab me, abuse my body, abuse my body!
That's why I actually liked *MURDOC*, he knew how to turn me on with the insults he threw at me.

Mukkus
  • Mukkus

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Mukkus, 3 weeks ago.

I liked the style and grooves of The Time, The Deele, Ready for the World.

Paris & Public Enemy were my biggest musical influences as far as social issues. 

Laura91
  • Laura91

Portia's #1 Fan

• Members

Posted 2 weeks ago

It would have to be a three-way tie between Napalm Death, Carcass & Terrorizer. Jesse Pintado and Bill Steer were my main inspirations for becoming a musician.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Playa

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted A week ago

Take a guess.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted A week ago

Probably Nirvana, Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr. I was a teenager in the 90s. Lucky me!

Their influence is so strong, I only play Jazzmaster/Jaguar guitars (with the occasional nod to Black Sabbath and Minor Threat for my SGs). 

Natasha
  • Natasha

Thug

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 6 days ago

For me it's honestly got to be Nirvana, I'm an 80's kid but I grew up in the early 90's and this was what everyone was listening to. Sure it was sheepish at the time I guess but I always find myself sticking on their Discography now and then.
  • Fuzzknuckles likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 5 days ago

For me it's honestly got to be Nirvana, I'm an 80's kid but I grew up in the early 90's and this was what everyone was listening to. Sure it was sheepish at the time I guess but I always find myself sticking on their Discography now and then.

It's going to make me sound like such a douche but I honestly can't listen to anything of theirs other than Bleach now. Nevermind, great as it was, hasn't aged for me, and In Utero, the same. But the influence they had and the music I found through them... coloured me forever. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users