Photo

What band has influenced you the most?

52 replies to this topic
Stoatz
  • Stoatz

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:14 AM

As the title says what band has had the biggest impact on your life?

Mine is My Chemical Romance. The masses refer to them as "emo" yet none of their songs promote suicide or self harm, in fact they hae always said they're a band that wants to save your life. They influenced me to become a better person as well.

Also they have influenced me to start an instrument smile.gif

Zxirius.
  • Zxirius.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:08 AM Edited by Zxirius, 26 June 2011 - 09:14 AM.

I couldn't possibly say ONE has influenced me the most, because I have just turned to listening to a few bands when things get rough or I need to chill out. The Smashing Pumpkins, Filter, Incubus, Tool, some Radiohead and Pink Floyd. Some newer Nine Inch Nails really has over the last few years, as well. Though, I can't really say which one of those the most - I just know those few have influenced me the most, since A LOT of music has influenced me over the years.

Nice topic, by the way. The music we listen to and the bands and groups that influence us the most can really say a lot about a person and who they are today.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

DYOM mission designer/user

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

A band? That would be AC/DC. My uncle had a couple of live AC/DC DVD's so I watched that a lot when I first got introduced to music. But now, I don't listen to them anymore. Couple of years back I started to look into music that is more complex and emotional. That are Instrumental rock, Neo Classical metal and blues... I listen to solo artists now (Jason Becker, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, John Petrucci etc..)

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:46 AM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 28 June 2011 - 01:30 AM.

Probably the Beastie Boys. Been listening to them since '98 or before but more seriously since '98. They thought me to open-minded about music. They fused, layered and sampled so much varied music fro Johnny Cash, Credence to Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Smith & Lee Perry. Those guys LOVE music and it shows in their music. Hip Hop or their chillout instrumental stuff. It all stayed with me throughout my life.

Other artists that heavily influenced me were The Doors, Led Zeppelin and more recently Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode & Aphex Twin. Have been a little obsessed with all those artists at one stage owning all their discographies and some bootlegs.

Pink Floyd opened my mind to synthesisers, Depeche Mode bridged the gap between Rock and Electronica, Kraftwerk sealed my love for Electronica and Aphex Twin crowned it.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:58 AM

Kasabian and Gorillaz really opened my world to music. Both of these bands always offer something special.

Plus Demon Days is my favorite album of all time. Sorry Plastic Beach.

shred durst
  • shred durst

Mr. Cool

• The Precinct

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:52 PM

blink 182... they took the ENERGY of the punk movement... that PASSION... and they injected it with LIFE and FUN and HUMOR...without ever compromising the ANGER and RAWNESS that made it punk to begin with... that's why, for my money...its blink all the way

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Rikers and Snickers

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

For me it's gotta be a toss up between Pink Floyd, Green Day and The Smashing Pumpkins. Three of my all time favorite groups who's music has helped inspire me to wanna make my own music as well.

springsteen_fan
  • springsteen_fan

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

Bruce Springsteen, RHCP, Green Day, N.W.A., and most recently, OFWGKTA (I'm not joking)

cactus.
  • cactus.

king sh*t of f*ck mountain

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:27 AM

Squarepusher.

He completely dismantled my idea regarding "what is music" and then reconstructed it again.

King Mystery
  • King Mystery

Playa

• Members

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:55 PM

Probably Queen.

Bigs
  • Bigs

OG

• Members

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:25 AM

It's gotta be the Clash.

They don't call them 'the only band that matters' for nothing!
  • Loosestring likes this

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:39 AM

Slayer. Because rock and metal own every other genre. And they are unmatched in thrash metal. And they don't sing about gay topics.

ChossenOne
  • ChossenOne

Ditched!

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:22 PM

Led Zeppelin and AC/DC opened my eyes to rock! I don't know what sh*t I was - and/or would be listening to right now if it weren't for them. And they ultimately led me to Metallica, who influence me the most. Metallica got me intrested in metal and even influenced me to pick up a guitar.

For all their rock influence I salute! *salutes*

Craig
  • Craig

Hostage Stamp

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (TheCacti @ Tuesday, Jun 28 2011, 02:27)
Squarepusher.

He completely dismantled my idea regarding "what is music" and then reconstructed it again.

Too true, chap. I love Squarepusher.

For me, it'd have to be a toss-up between Frank Zappa (and whatever band he felt like being in) and The Residents. Before hearing these, I didn't really have a music taste and went along with most. I came full circle and now listen to all kinds of genres again, but with appreciation rather than the "yeah, it's okay" factor. I feel like these two had a hand in me growing into music.
  • vnus_dmlo likes this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Census]
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:55 AM

I'm one of the lucky ones. I spent many years as a traveling freak behind the Grateful Dead. As great as the music and lyrics and all that was, living within such a unique subculture influenced me beyond any music, literature, teachings, or anything ever could. I hate to use the term 'subculture' there, because we really were just a traveling utopia, and there is no real way to explain what it was and how it worked. We had our own economy, our own laws and ways, and just like any society we had our own social status bullsh*t. We were all very different, but shared enough common beliefs to make if work as well as it did.

Living on the road with the Grateful Dead more than influenced me. It is what made me who I am today - with some credit going to my super cool parents who made that part of my life possible.

• vnus_dmlo and The Hippie like this

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

I grew up listening to a good bit of classic rock, fav artist was Meat Loaf, Dad introduced me to Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Genesis, etc but the one band that actually made me say 'I want to pick up a guitar, I want to be able to do that' was Pink Floyd. The track in particular was the Pulse version of Comfortably Numb. It wasn't just the amazing guitar solo but it was the stage, the lighting the way the huge screen came down during the solo to envelop Gilmour in light and the way the huge disco ball appeared above the crowd, I watched it and all I could think is 'I want to be able to put on something like that.'

In terms of listening, Pink Floyd opened up my eyes to what is now my favourite band in Dream Theater. Dream Theater have been the influence for a lot of my listening since then allowing me to discover a lot more in terms of prog or metal.

Pagelzilla
  • Pagelzilla

Blowjob Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

Elliott Smith. Such amazing talent that died far too early

bazooka jodeci
  • bazooka jodeci

playa why you hatin

• Members

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Stoatz @ Sunday, Jun 26 2011, 04:14)
The masses refer to them as "emo" yet none of their songs promote suicide or self harm,

that's not what emo is anyway brah

on topic, either of these albums

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (TheCacti @ Tuesday, Jun 28 2011, 02:27)
Squarepusher.

Didn't know you were a fan. You know his bro is Ceefax Acid Crew? Mental

thebreak
  • thebreak

Not quite my tempo

• Members
  • Taiwan

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

As a nu metal loving kid back in 2004, I stumbled upon Lacuna Coil. And the mystic, spiritual nature of their works had me blown away. Listening to the song Swamped for the first time can be the closest thing to a religious experience I've ever had. That's when I found out about the aspect of music I am truly looking for, whether it's metal or other genre.

In college I started listening to darkwave, dream pop and post-rock, and God Is An Astronaut very quickly finds its way to my all-time favorite bands list. The beautiful soundscape and atmosphere give me chills upon every listening. Of the post rock bands out there GIAA works the best for me in terms of melodies and ambience. Only into them for almost a year but they managed to redefine my taste in music.

Claude4Catalina
  • Claude4Catalina

Carcer City bound!

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:00 PM

Atmosphere; Slug is the person I'd love to be, he's like a whiter version of Eminem, a lot more grounded, he comes across as fairly nervous, not swaggering with bravado, I could imagine him being the timid type. everything he writes about seems like gospel to me and he brings relationships into it and will admit it, which is where I can relate, a fair bit of what I write is about relationships, but without the Bruno Mars "cutesyness".

Eyedea & Abilities; more of a duo, but Eyedea had an awesome voice and a hell of a brain, Rest in Piece my friend.

majorhawke
  • majorhawke

The living-dead Kennedy's

• Members

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:36 AM

Im not in a band, but i play guitar:
'
The Cars

eHanHz
  • eHanHz

Requiescat in pace

• Members
  • Malaysia

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:28 AM

System of a Down & Metallica

Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:11 AM

Not really bands per say but rather musicians themselves, such as Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton... and a few others. Like Neal Peart, or even Alex Lifeson.

CarnageVercetti
  • CarnageVercetti

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

Metallica, A Flock of Seagulls, SlipKnoT, Marilyn Manson and Ozzy Osbourne.

Kiabbo
  • Kiabbo

Thug

• Members

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:56 PM

Radiohead

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:48 PM

None more so then U F O

Michael Schenker -guitar
Phil Mogg - vocals
Pete Way - bass
Paul Raymond - keys (most notably)
Andy Parker - drums

LEGENDS of Hard Rock for those in the know

locolow2011
  • locolow2011

Rock on

• Members

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:36 AM

I'm an "aspiring" musician and i have to say, most of the stuff i have been coming up with are heavily influenced by 80's hard rock and heavy metal, even though right now i listen to more different stuff like Radiohead,Pink Floyd and Interpol, so its kind of a hybrid of both.

The energy and good feel of Hard Rock and at the same time the feel and emotion of RH and PF, thats pretty much my influence.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Claude4Catalina @ Sunday, Jul 3 2011, 22:00)
Atmosphere; Slug

Same here.

I met him in November while we were waiting in line for their European Rhymesayers Tour.

Atmosphere's songs are all so different but each of them carry a message that'll help you get through the bad times.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

I'm not sure about any band, but 4mat is the artist that has had the biggest impact on me. He made a lot of emotional tunes that really have helped me through hard times.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users