Quantcast

» «
Photo

NPC models, behavior, daily routines etc.

12 replies to this topic
WhistleBlower
  • WhistleBlower

GTA III era fanatic

• Members

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

It seems like no one wants to talk about the NPCs in the GTA games. More specifically the pedestrians you can find throughout the city. There was a larger variety of pedestrians in GTA IV and they would do all kinds of things like fight with you, stop you from stealing their vehicle if you weren't fast enough, clean the windows on a store, use their cell phones to call the police or paramedics, and even run away if you were to pull out a gun (the criminals themselves would recommend you put it away).

So what would you like to see them do in the next GTA title? Maybe one of the pedestrians can be found riding a bicycle on the sidewalk or a park. If the game were to be set in a place like Vice City or something similar, they'd actually be playing games like volleyball or swimming at the beach. It would also be pretty cool to see other pedestrians fight with each other, whether it's with their fists or guns, and to maybe even listen to the argument that sparks it. Seeing people walk in and out of buildings would be pretty cool as well (it was done before in Bully). The possibilities are endless!

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Zaibatsu

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

Red Dead Redemption and Assassin's Creed 2 had the coolest NPCs. GTA could learn a lot from those two games.

Peds are part of the atmosphere it creates. IV peds were very plain.

In RDR, the peds were always doing something. Stabbing hookers, washing stuff, drunkards, that usual posse coming into town to f*ck sh*t up. Peds are not meant to be just ragdolls who just keep on walking till you kill them.

ryanhunter_rfc
  • ryanhunter_rfc

Hustler

• Members

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:21 PM

It would be cool if they walked dogs through parks. R* wouldnt even need to remake the dogs as they could copy them from Red Dead.

TruDat
  • TruDat

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:35 PM

Peds need to have more interaction between themselves like fighting, shooting each other etc. R* should also add random events similar to RDR that you can choose to get involved in or not. If it's in SA, more so LS, they should have random drive-by's. Though they shouldn't occur too often unless the story has progressed to a point where tension between rival gangs is at an all time high. It'd be pretty interesting to see police doing drug bust and actually handcuffng peds as well.

WhistleBlower
  • WhistleBlower

GTA III era fanatic

• Members

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (mrpain @ Saturday, Jun 25 2011, 13:19)
Red Dead Redemption and Assassin's Creed 2 had the coolest NPCs. GTA could learn a lot from those two games.

Peds are part of the atmosphere it creates. IV peds were very plain.

In RDR, the peds were always doing something. Stabbing hookers, washing stuff, drunkards, that usual posse coming into town to f*ck sh*t up. Peds are not meant to be just ragdolls who just keep on walking till you kill them.

You also had the guy that would sell newspapers on the street corner. That reminds me, it would be cool if we could actually use our money to buy all sorts of things from NPCs instead of just weapons and hamburgers.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Zaibatsu

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (TruDat @ Sunday, Jun 26 2011, 03:35)
Peds need to have more interaction between themselves like fighting, shooting each other etc. R* should also add random events similar to RDR that you can choose to get involved in or not. If it's in SA, more so LS, they should have random drive-by's. Though they shouldn't occur too often unless the story has progressed to a point where tension between rival gangs is at an all time high. It'd be pretty interesting to see police doing drug bust and actually handcuffng peds as well.

True that.

This might be strange, but I don't go around killing peds in RDR. Instead I rather sit there and watch them their own business. Because they are interesting.

WhistleBlower
  • WhistleBlower

GTA III era fanatic

• Members

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:03 PM Edited by WhistleBlower, 25 June 2011 - 08:09 PM.

QUOTE (mrpain @ Saturday, Jun 25 2011, 13:49)
Peds need to have more interaction between themselves like fighting, shooting each other etc. R* should also add random events similar to RDR that you can choose  to get involved in or not. If it's in SA, more so LS, they should have random drive-by's. Though they shouldn't occur too often unless the story has progressed to a point where tension between rival gangs is at an all time high. It'd be pretty interesting to see police doing drug bust and actually handcuffng peds as well.

True that.

This might be strange, but I don't go around killing peds in RDR. Instead I rather sit there and watch them their own business. Because they are interesting.

I mainly kill the gang members at their hideouts or if I see them riding through town dragging someone tied to a rope behind their horses. I don't even kill any animals unless it's a grizzly bear -- only because they charge at me all the time. lol.gif

TruDat
  • TruDat

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (mrpain @ Saturday, Jun 25 2011, 19:49)
Peds need to have more interaction between themselves like fighting, shooting each other etc. R* should also add random events similar to RDR that you can choose  to get involved in or not. If it's in SA, more so LS, they should have random drive-by's. Though they shouldn't occur too often unless the story has progressed to a point where tension between rival gangs is at an all time high. It'd be pretty interesting to see police doing drug bust and actually handcuffng peds as well.

True that.

I only go on rampages so I can admire their deathfalls, even more realistic tha n GTA.

dethbiker
  • dethbiker

basketball and heavy metal.

• Members

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

carjacking peds in poor neirghborhoods,like in SA.

FiS!!HeR
  • FiS!!HeR

Villager

• Members

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:38 PM

It's a natural progress to see the behaviors of the non-playable characters evolve in video games, especially open-world games like Grand Theft Auto. With any tech between your hands, you will keep having limitations that will put a wall against what you can possibly achieve. Creating NPCs with different behaviors, is one of Rockstar's brands in their open-world games. The problem is that you have a limited processing power, with a limited RAM size. Within these limitations, You create behaviors, but creating a daily life-like routine for every NPC wandering the streets, is not possible, because of these limits, in addition to the complex and branching codes that you will need to write.

Red Dead Redemption had a more advancing system because of the setting. Western Border States is majorly a rural region, with a few towns scattered around the map. Creating a unique model for each NPC, each one with a unique behavior, name and a town to live in, isn't in anyway as hard as doing the same thing in the streets of Liberty City, where you have to generate tens of NPCs at the same time, as you are moving from a block to another. We will keep seeing a more complex NPC system with each new installment of GTA, but not to the extent of RDR, at least on the current generation.

Diego Delgado
  • Diego Delgado

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:45 PM

They should deal drugs, steal cars, kill each other, commit robbery, extort businesses, get into brawls, wonder in on a major drug deal, cops and criminals getting into shoot outs or car chases, zombie outbreak (Just kidding LMAO)

hu6
  • hu6

-

• Members

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

they must be more realistic, and not just walking on the street, also they have to interact between each other and talk about more things, fight, and even make car crashes while they're drunk or not focused on the road

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:24 AM

They were actually really smart in Gta IV if you followed them they would notice and say something like.

" Step off g stop following me yo"

I disagree about Assassins creed 2 they had no life at all.

Improved on read dead redemption would be awesome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users