» «
Photo

They Should Remake This Game

23 replies to this topic
PigManDan
  • PigManDan

Raggo

• Members

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:21 PM Edited by PigManDan, 15 June 2011 - 12:22 AM.

I was just thinking about playing a bit of GTA 1 / 2 on my laptop, and thought to myself it would be cool if they remade both the games that started the series for current-gen consoles, with some of the tech that they've got these days.

You see all these HD remakes of old games these days on XBox Live Arcade and PS Network (off the top of my head: Worms, StreetFighter 2, Monkey Island, Beyond Good & Evil, Perfect Dark...etc) and IMO it would be amazing to see GTA 1 + 2 remade in this way.

They could even use assets (vehicles, peds, textures, buildings) etc from GTA 4, and just lock it to a top down view. There's a mode in CoD Black Ops called 'Dead Ops Arcade' which basically does what I'm saying: uses character models from the single player campaign and changes the gameplay to something like Smash TV, with the top down view and moving the player with the left stick, shooting with the right.

In my idea of how they should remake this game, that's probably the control scheme I'd imagine, while the buttons ( square triangle X circle etc) could do the same purpose as GTA 4 pretty much.

Although, maybe there's a mod for the original games that would just let me fix the controls a bit... but whatever, what do you all think? Who would buy a HD Remake of GTA 1 + 2, with top notch 3D/2D graphics?

user posted image
user posted image

Basically like the above images, but more zoomed out... and in GTA's Liberty City, not GTA 4's or GTA 3's.

(pictures taken from the GTA Wiki)

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:46 PM

Yes there needs to be more top down crime games with multiplayer. I like the way GTA2 controls. It's more fun having to rotate the character to aim or move than just pushing a direction. Rotational > Directional.

PigManDan
  • PigManDan

Raggo

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:16 AM

I do like the old shooting controls, I think the thing that bugged me more was that moving the player character forward uses the same control input as accelerating your car, ditto for reverse. I can't actually remember if it was like that when I played it on PlayStation, or if that's just how it is on PC, it's just a bit awkward.

GTAuto
  • GTAuto

avfc52

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

You know, I don't think people realize how excellent this game is. You've got those three cities, each on of them offering a very different experience all on one disc. This game was so ahead of its time. But I think the new fans of GTA, who are used to the nice scenery, great sound track & really imaginative cutscenes & missions would turn off after 10 mins. I have to admit, I nearly did. But the plan for me was complete every single GTA game on playstation consoles, one a month until the release of GTA V (hopefully in October 2012 (that is, if the world doesnt end LMAO)). But I am absolutely hooked, yes the top down view is disorientating, I hate the way there is no mini map but I'm absolutely loving it.

Do I think it should be remade? No. GTA has advanced soooo much since the first one that I don't think it'd be all that profitable. I would prefer HD remakes of the III era, that would be amazing but I think its a little too soon to be hoping for those, maybe next generation.

UberChargedCJ
  • UberChargedCJ

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

or else make the original GTA I and GTA II for PS2 and sell it in entire world

Bad Girls
  • Bad Girls

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

Remakes rarely ever go well.

They sound like such a great idea, but when they're made, fans of the original tend to moan about it. Either because it's too different or too much the same. There's people complaining about Halo CE Anniversary because it's too similar to the original, lol.

GTAuto
  • GTAuto

avfc52

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:58 PM Edited by GTAuto, 12 November 2011 - 03:20 PM.

I don't think theres a place for top down games in todays industry. There was this excellent arcade style about GTA, GTAL & GTA2 I used to have friends over & we'd try to find the best secret in the map, creating mayhem and competing for the best scores. But nowadays the majority of gamers are brought up on this COD hype machine & I can't see anyone buying a remake other than the GTA lovers & those just curious. Rockstar & T2 would know this & I doubt they'd run the risk of tarnishing the GTA name with a blatant money spinning remake.

I've just finish the original GTA. It was f*cking amazing, I had no idea the soundtrack was included on the PSone game disc I randomly stumbled on it while flicking through the XMB on my PS3. It could've done with a better ending though but hey ho. I finished it thinking that is gonna be hard to top, slipped in the GTAL disc & bang, job done. They practically sold me on the (cockney accented) GRAAAAAAANNNDD THEEEEFT AUUUTTOOOOOOOO.

This tune:
http://www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player

There needs to be another 60's London sandbox game made!! I don't care if its not GTA everything about the era is soo f*cking cool, it just needs to be done.

Senax
  • Senax

Trick

• Members

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

Actually if they're just ported to be XBLA Games (and whatever the PS3 equivalent is called) i think it might work but wouldn't work as a big retail game.

PigManDan
  • PigManDan

Raggo

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (Senax @ Monday, Nov 14 2011, 22:48)
Actually if they're just ported to be XBLA Games (and whatever the PS3 equivalent is called) i think it might work but wouldn't work as a big retail game.

Yeah, that would probably be the best idea... I wonder why they haven't done this. I don't want to have to dust off my PS2 and seek out a copy of GTA 1, London and 2 just to be able to play it on my TV, with a controller, because I have no idea where to look for PS1 games these days and playing anything on my laptop is a hassle.

Hmm... maybe what I actually want isn't a HD remake, just an SD re-release would be fine. Well, an SD re-release with achievements/trophies, leaderboards and multiplayer. Maybe that might be pushing it though.

UberChargedCJ
  • UberChargedCJ

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:29 PM Edited by UberChargedCJ, 26 November 2011 - 12:32 PM.

i expect the gta 1 and 2 should be remaked for playstation 2

also i dont have the ps1 memory card i wish rockstar could remake them for PS2

Buffalo Soldier
  • Buffalo Soldier

The Man Himself.

• Members

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:46 PM

Probably wouldn't BUY it, don't see the point - it's like a step backwards.
Would be nice though to have for free.

UberChargedCJ
  • UberChargedCJ

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

man i wish the old times back with the PS1 maybe what about a re-release of ps1 and GTA I and II with PS1 memory card for ps2

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

ubercj, what is it with you? You keep talking about remaking games for PS2. What rock do you STILL live under? The ps2 is dead. Do you not notice that no game has been made for it since 2010?

NewportByChrysler
  • NewportByChrysler

LC R29

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Wednesday, Feb 29 2012, 16:29)
ubercj, what is it with you? You keep talking about remaking games for PS2. What rock do you STILL live under? The ps2 is dead. Do you not notice that no game has been made for it since 2010?

Actually, games are still being made, they're just shovelware sports games.

thenatobourne
  • thenatobourne

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

no need remake dammit!!!

The New gamers is a hard graphics fanatics!

The GTA Classics is great

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

I don't know if a remake will do any good, but what I want is another GTA game in the same style of GTA 2, all be it new characters and new city to explore but keeping with the wacky dystopian humour it had

but thatll never happen, its not "realistic" enough for today's pretentious gamers

Maxaxle
  • Maxaxle

Used Car Acquisition Technician

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

This is a very interesting idea, but it was scrapped in GTA3 for a few obvious reasons.
1. It's impractical when driving over non-flat terrain. That is to say, it's impractical when driving at any given point.
2. It's useless when you need to shoot at or look at stuff.
3. The entire game would need to be built around the fact that you can't see fifty feet in front of your character when not driving at top speed, and that navigation would be much more difficult.

Dilys95
  • Dilys95

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:54 AM

user posted imageYes there needs to be more top down crime games with multiplayer.

GuNsLiNgEr_GuRl_0
  • GuNsLiNgEr_GuRl_0

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

IWouldd Nott Changeee Anyythiinqq Inn (ALL) GTA Becauusee Itt Wontt Bee Funn Noo Moree Soo Imm Justt Sayiinqq!!!! yawn.gif blush.gif [FONT=Impact]

slowhands111
  • slowhands111

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

I still play GTA3 locked to a topdown view sometimes, because the driving is more fun, although the game isn't really optimized to this perspective. Steering is quite fast and direct but the vehicles are easy to control. I wish GTA4 would have a topdown view, because I liked the improved handling of the cars (with chase camera).
I never played GTA1, because the graphic style is so ugly and the camera too jumpy. GTA2 was much better, but the camera was still to jumpy due to unrealistic fast driving.
One way to get around the problem of the jumpy topdown camera could be to make the driving more realistic and intense (=slow). I suggest you play this simulator http://geoquake.jp/e...ivingSimulator/
I think it's doing everything right. The best way to play it is using a gamepad and xpadder to emulate the keyboard in my opinion.
Imagine a "simulator" like this with better gamepad support (gas and braking on analog triggers, the steering wheel rotation could be sligthly faster to enable more speedy driving if you push the analog stick quickly to one side.
The shooting/onfoot action of gta2 was simple, but fun.
I don't think a topdown game would really need top notch graphics, the graphics of gta3 and gta2 are still satisfying from a topdown view.

UberChargedCJ
  • UberChargedCJ

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

i think GTA I along with II shall be on PS store as a PS1 classic

Pro wrestler
  • Pro wrestler

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:43 AM

I would love to play GTA and GTA2 on consol. Preferably with an HD makeover. It might be best suited as a downloadable game or as a bonus with some other release.

Think about The Orange box which had several games on one disc. How about a complete GTA package with the complete back catalog remade for the current consoles with HD graphics? I most definately would buy that!

CrazyWare
  • CrazyWare

The taste of gaming. Respect!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

For me I don't think it's worth seeing HD remakes of GTA 1 or 2. I certainly wouldn't buy it either.

UberChargedCJ
  • UberChargedCJ

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Wednesday, Feb 29 2012, 21:29)

Shut your hostile mouth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users