Signature file size

29 replies to this topic
Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

It's been almost 9 years I've been here and I don't think there's been a file size limit increase on sigs. At least not in the past five.

80KB. Really? The only person on the forum running 56K was Slamman and he's gone now, and he would have loaded that 80KB file in less than 2 seconds on that speed. So increasing it to even 500KB-1MB won't kill people's loading speeds of webpages, most regular members have even what us American's consider high speed mobile broadband (1Mbps and up).

Avatars for some crazy reason are already unlimited, it's not like sigs are uploaded to the site, they all already need to be hosted elsewhere. Why let a tiny 64x64 icon be unlimited but the larger portion of your post be limited by such a small file size?

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Talented [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Talented [Expression] 2011
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2011
    Best Member in a Group 2011
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010
    Most Talented [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2010

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:21 PM

You can obtain a great quality signature under 80kb, if they extend the size, everyone will use video signatures, this will
double the loading time of the forum.

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

He's not saying that the limits should be removed, just that they should be shifted up in line with the increase in connections speeds of the average user. And I have to say that if avatars are unlimited in their size then signatures should be too, because if you look at the forums as a whole most people have single picture or just text signatures so an increase in the limits won't really make that much of a difference.

fred
  • fred

• None

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

Dial up might be less common now but mobile browsing with limited data allowance and/or paying per MB is getting more popular.

Even without that, 20 MB to view one page of posts would just be ridiculous.

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (fred @ Wednesday, Jun 8 2011, 20:43)
Dial up might be less common now but mobile browsing with limited data allowance and/or paying per MB is getting more popular.

Even without that, 20 MB to view one page of posts would just be ridiculous.

The average signature size on this page is 60kb or so. Just because you are increasing the limit doesn't mean that everyone will suddenly look to push the envelope. I'm sure that many members are quite happy with their current sigs and wouldn't wish to change them just because the board allowed them too.

Likewise, there doesn't have to be unlimited sig space, all that Pico was saying was that it was about time there was an increase in sig limits.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

Josh has it right, I don't want it to have no cap, but something higher than 80 lousy KB. In my experience, I usually get error messages when trying ones around 100KB-250KB, so 500KB may be pushing it.

I understand people can be on limited data plans, but as Josh pointed out, not everyone is going to jump on the higher sig limit. No one intentionally maxes out their sigs. I've gone plenty of times putting minimal sigs on myself over the years, that are like 25KB. But when I want to post something larger than 80kb I'm screwed.

As an example, there's a sig of the week thread in Visual Arts. It's a goofy subject this time around and we all decided we should wear the sigs we made... well I can't because it's an animated GIF with a whole 9 frames. 111KB, only 21KB over the limit but I'd have to go through a bunch of BS to shrink it down to size just to make it fit. I'm sure a large amount of regular members would appreciate even doubling the file size limit.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

Thought I'd bump & hijack this topic at the same time, but how about maybe extending the width limits for signatures? The forums are set so that when you read a topic, they are set to the same size for everyone, unless they change settings, so why not extend the width limit for the signatures?

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (Butters 2011 @ Saturday, Jun 18 2011, 23:52)
Thought I'd bump & hijack this topic at the same time, but how about maybe extending the width limits for signatures? The forums are set so that when you read a topic, they are set to the same size for everyone, unless they change settings, so why not extend the width limit for the signatures?

Because then peoples signatures will dominate their posts, and all you'll see is a one line piece of writing followed by this massive image with random text depending on what they have in their sig. I've seen it on forums with no sig limits and it looks so retarded.

Plus I occasionally browse this website on my phone and I don't want to waste 10MB on people's large signatures!

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (Piperka @ Saturday, Jun 18 2011, 15:59)
QUOTE (Butters 2011 @ Saturday, Jun 18 2011, 23:52)

Because then peoples signatures will dominate their posts, and all you'll see is a one line piece of writing followed by this massive image with random text depending on what they have in their sig. I've seen it on forums with no sig limits and it looks so retarded.

What's the difference between one worded/lined post with the current limits and a one worded/lined post with an image that just stretches across the post anyway?

Most members who use signtaures mainly are the forum veterans anyway, and they know the rules on spam posts.

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:05 AM

Increasing the sig size definately makes no sense. The disadvantages are more relevant than any "supposed" advantage IMO.
Finally it is only a signature and not the place to say or show all the things someone want to.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

So allowing more width in a signature space wouldn't be good for people who like to advertise their topics, such as these who do the GTA concet topics?

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:20 PM

Making a concept thread isn't easy, it requires research, using your knowledge, asking for help.

And I don't see what is wrong in advertising a concept thread.

uNi
  • uNi

instantrum

• None

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:36 PM

We could increase it tbh, if a user as a download cap on his isp/mobile, then he can always configure the board settings to disable sigs and images.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Monday, Jun 20 2011, 23:20)
Making a concept thread isn't easy, it requires research, using your knowledge, asking for help.

Think you may need to re-read my post since what you posted has nothing to do with what I said. wink.gif

And well done on noticing my typo, congrats.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (Butters 2011 @ Saturday, Jun 18 2011, 10:52)

Not true. The page will be as wide as the window allows. That's why people with larger monitors aren't as concerned about large images stretching the page. With a single click I can maximize GTAF across all three of my monitors. Now if I made a signature that fits on my three monitors, it would stretch everyone else's pages to 5040 pixels in width. That would be extremely annoying for someone with a 1280x1024 monitor, and even more so for someone viewing the board with a phone.

I'm fine with my text signature, but would agree a larger limit according to average connection speed would be nice. Maybe 150kb?

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (NaidRaida @ Sunday, Jun 19 2011, 01:05)
The disadvantages are more relevant than any "supposed" advantage IMO.

Then post some valid examples of disadvantages.

I fully support upping the filesize limit, but I think 500 pixels is already plenty wide enough.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (Butters 2011 @ Tuesday, Jun 21 2011, 00:54)
QUOTE (vertical limit @ Monday, Jun 20 2011, 23:20)

Think you may need to re-read my post since what you posted has nothing to do with what I said. wink.gif

And well done on noticing my typo, congrats.

Yup sorry my. Bad.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Tuesday, Jun 21 2011, 00:54)
QUOTE (Butters 2011 @ Saturday, Jun 18 2011, 10:52)

Not true. The page will be as wide as the window allows. That's why people with larger monitors aren't as concerned about large images stretching the page. With a single click I can maximize GTAF across all three of my monitors. Now if I made a signature that fits on my three monitors, it would stretch everyone else's pages to 5040 pixels in width. That would be extremely annoying for someone with a 1280x1024 monitor, and even more so for someone viewing the board with a phone.

I'm fine with my text signature, but would agree a larger limit according to average connection speed would be nice. Maybe 150kb?

I understand what you are getting at, but my point was, if I started a new topic and just posted one word, the page would still be set to a minimum width, so why not allow signatures to be widened a little bit more?

Plus I occasionally browse this website on my phone and I don't want to waste 10MB on people's large signatures!

Use the Lite skin then, followed by turning off all images Via your control panel.

Democrab
  • Democrab

Tornado of Souls

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (NaidRaida @ Sunday, Jun 19 2011, 17:05)
Increasing the sig size definately makes no sense. The disadvantages are more relevant than any "supposed" advantage IMO.
Finally it is only a signature and not the place to say or show all the things someone want to.

You're saying that even just doubling the current sig size limit to 160KB has no benefits? Those of us who use photoshop/illustrator/gimp disagree.

Having ~500KB even would be overkill to be honest, and I live in Australia...I get 60GB a month on home home internet and 500MB a month. If I want to go on GTAF, I disable images anyway.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:06 PM Edited by Butters 2011, 20 July 2011 - 05:11 PM.

Sorry for the bump, but I just made a sig, yet when I try to use it as my forum signature, it tells me it is oversized.

user posted image

(ignore the crappy signature, it's been edited since)

Now, can someone tell me why the hell the file size limit is so small? The image is well within the measurement limits, yet because I added a few lines and text, the signature is now over the maximum file limit.

Plus, how can people be using animated signatures and whatnot, yet mine causes an error?

Needs upping IMO.

UNRATED69
  • UNRATED69

suck my hammer

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

The size is big because you saved it as a .png, which is pretty much pointless since there's no transparency.

But I do agree that the limit could be increased a little.

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (Butters 2011 @ Wednesday, Jul 20 2011, 17:06)
Plus, how can people be using animated signatures and whatnot, yet mine causes an error?

You can use high quality transparent images or gif but you will have to lower some color levels, as for your sig, simply save it as jpg.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (UNRATED69 @ Wednesday, Jul 20 2011, 19:58)
The size is big because you saved it as a .png, which is pretty much pointless since there's no transparency.

But I do agree that the limit could be increased a little.

I do alot of transparent signatures so it's what I've grown accustomed to. Narcis, my point was the actual measurements of the signature are not big at all, yet they break the rules, was making a point against those who said raising the limits would be a negative idea, yet I don't see how upping the limit would be a bad idea.

Yes, it would open the way for alot of animated signatures, but not many people can make them anyway, and if they requested oe, it's upto the likes of you (Narcis) and others to decide the size of them.

Shayan Shaffey
  • Shayan Shaffey

Want to Advertise in my Sig? PM Me.

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

I heard it would slow the page down for us 56k'ers (I used to have ADSL, until a few months ago) And I doubt you would need a 100kb sig

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (shayanshaffey @ Friday, Jul 29 2011, 12:42)
I heard it would slow the page down for us 56k'ers (I used to have ADSL, until a few months ago) And I doubt you would need a 100kb sig

Yes, it's true that it would slow it down for the 56k people, but..this is 2011-not 1995 tounge2.gif If you still have 56k, it is time for a serious upgrade lol.gif tounge2.gif to either Cable or DSL-there is really no reason not to, as both DSL and Cable are pretty much the same price as Dial-up and yet it is a lot faster-for example, I have Cable internet and get up to 15mbps Downloads and up to 2mbps uploads and have free Turbo Boost technology that automatically increases the speed when needed...even the lowest package for Cable is up to 1mbps download and up to 256kbps upload with the same free Turbo Boost technology....So, there is NO reason to still be on Dial-up internet in 2011...Just curious why people would still have 56k when Cable and DSL are essentially the same price.? confused.gif

OT- I think you guys are confused about the 80kb size-If i'm not mistaken that is the Avatar size and the signature size is 150X150? confused.gif But, if you use the Forum on your mobile phone, can't you just disable the Avatar and sigs. so they are not displayed?-I know on my Android phone, when I access the Forum, it does not show sigs. and avatars..Just curious about a few things.. confused.gif

Also, just curious, Why do people access the forum from their phone, instead of using their laptop OR waiting until they get home to use the PC(desktop or laptop)? confused.gif

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Friday, Aug 5 2011, 22:07)
OT- I think you guys are confused about the 80kb size-If i'm not mistaken that is the Avatar size and the signature size is 150X150? confused.gif

Avatars don't have a limit, signatures have 2 limits, the 80kb size, and the 500x150 pixel size.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Friday, Aug 5 2011, 19:07)
QUOTE (shayanshaffey @ Friday, Jul 29 2011, 12:42)

Yes, it's true that it would slow it down for the 56k people, but..this is 2011-not 1995 tounge2.gif If you still have 56k, it is time for a serious upgrade lol.gif tounge2.gif to either Cable or DSL-there is really no reason not to, as both DSL and Cable are pretty much the same price as Dial-up and yet it is a lot faster-for example, I have Cable internet and get up to 15mbps Downloads and up to 2mbps uploads and have free Turbo Boost technology that automatically increases the speed when needed...even the lowest package for Cable is up to 1mbps download and up to 256kbps upload with the same free Turbo Boost technology....So, there is NO reason to still be on Dial-up internet in 2011...Just curious why people would still have 56k when Cable and DSL are essentially the same price.? confused.gif

You're clearly too ignorant to have thought of the fact that some people just don't have access to high speed internet (Cable, DSL, Fiber). While most people do have access to it, I can tell you for a fact that there are still many places in Canada that don't have access. Up until about a year and a half ago, all I had access to was dial-up and I lived about 5 minutes outside of a city. Had nothing to do with not being able to afford it, the infrastructure just wasn't in place.

Doc Rikowski
  • Doc Rikowski

First Generation Gamer

• D1RTY12
  • Mars
  • Best Gang 2013 - D1RTY12
    Best Event 2011 "Turf Wars"

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (Narcis_speed6 @ Friday, Aug 5 2011, 23:16)
QUOTE (radioman @ Friday, Aug 5 2011, 22:07)
OT- I think you guys are confused about the 80kb size-If i'm not mistaken that is the Avatar size and the signature size is 150X150? confused.gif

Avatars don't have a limit, signatures have 2 limits, the 80kb size, and the 500x150 pixel size.

This.

I've been wanting an increase in size for a long time.
I'm ok with the 500x150 pixel size. It's a fair size.
But the 80kb size limit has forced me many times to reduce the size to 400ish x 100ish, especially with PNG files.
Tbh a 100kb size limit would be already a great improvement.
A 120kb one would absolutely perfect. biggrin.gif

blitz
  • blitz

yeah no

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:27 PM

I think 120kb is actually the perfect size, like Ryan said not all people have acces to high-speed internet and I understand why they actually made the size 80kb, but would it really affect it that much? I mean, if you were to say 500kb or 1mb, then I'd understand if you said no, but 120?

Doc Rikowski
  • Doc Rikowski

First Generation Gamer

• D1RTY12
  • Mars
  • Best Gang 2013 - D1RTY12
    Best Event 2011 "Turf Wars"

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

100-120 FTW!

Please? colgate.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users