Photo

Vice City Mouse Doesn't Work?

5 replies to this topic
Brenasarous
  • Brenasarous

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:39 AM

Hey, I just recently installed Vice City onto my new laptop due to the itch to play it again after a few years of not touching it. My laptop is running on windows 7, has 4gb ram, an i7 processor, and an ATi radeon hd 5730 for graphics. What happens is the mouse when in the menu will scroll through the tabs will highlight them as if you could click them, but you cannot actually click them. The same applies in gameplay itself. Now, when I had the game installed on my old computer, it did somewhat the same thing, but you could fix it by going to the menu two or three times. I've tried this on my laptop and it takes literally hundreds of times to get it to work. I have seen this topic posted a couple times, but none of them have supplied me with an answer. Is there a way to fix this? The nostalgia is at my fingertips. Thanks for any help in advance.

P.S. Unrelated to this topic, I have noticed that during cutscenes, the audio will pause for a second, leaving a lag between the cutscene itself and the audio. What could cause this? It's more of an annoyance than anything, but if there's a simple solution to this that would be awesome. Thanks again in advance.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:41 AM

This is a very common Vista/7 related issue. Run the game under Windows 98 compatibility mode and everything will be fine.

Brenasarous
  • Brenasarous

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE (girishb @ May 31 2011, 03:41)
This is a very common Vista/7 related issue. Run the game under Windows 98 compatibility mode and everything will be fine.

That seemed to do the trick! Thank you very much, and thank you for the super fast reply. Much obliged good sir.

Brenasarous
  • Brenasarous

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:54 PM Edited by Brenasarous, 31 May 2011 - 07:04 PM.

Hey, I just have a couple questions. I know these are unrelated to the topic, but if you could help that would be amazing. But the game itself has been running fairly flawed. There's things like popping and crackling in the audio, sometimes the game will pause for a few seconds, in cutscenes the video will lag behind and the audio will keep playing causing a delay, and when your driving vehicles it seems as though the brake automatically engages whenever you let off the gas. These are just some of the small things I've noticed, and I'm sure there is more. Also, I have tried to transfer my old save files from my old computer because I had completed it 100% on there, so I copy/pasted them onto a flash drive so I could transfer it into the save file folder of the game on the new computer. I did this with San Andreas and it worked fine, but on Vice City what happens is they show up in the 'load game' portion of the menu, you can click them, but it will inevitably show a black screen and will not load. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Are the files corrupted? If you could help again, I would be much obliged. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I think I fixed it. For the record if anyone else has this problem, I deleted the gta_vc.set file in the user files. I'll let you know if anything changes.

goddard26
  • goddard26

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

i know its probably a stupid question but im having the same problem with the mouse/laptop, how do you run in Windows 98 compatibility mode

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:09 AM Edited by Spuds725, 20 September 2013 - 12:15 AM.

Right click the icon that starts the game-- Select properties... click compatibility tab, select "run in compatibility for:" -- in drop down select "windows 98"

It is very similar across OS's (not sure about windows 8).

HTH

Video-- shows another fix if you are on windows 7

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users