Quantcast

» «
Photo

Favorite Music Decade

36 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your Favorite Music Decade (66 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your Favorite Music Decade

1. 2000-2010 (13 votes [20.63%])

Percentage of vote: 20.63%

2. 1990-2000 (18 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. 1980-1990 (21 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. 1970-1980 (8 votes [12.70%])

Percentage of vote: 12.70%

5. 1960-1970 (2 votes [3.17%])

Percentage of vote: 3.17%

6. 1950-1960 (1 votes [1.59%])

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

7. 1940-1950 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote
RedBlues
  • RedBlues

you jelly of my yellow scarf blowing in the wind?

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

My favorite Decade was 1950-1960
because i liked best the vocals and Rock N' Roll of that Decade
like Johnny Cash,Elvis Presley,The Beatles
and some other rock n roll bands

What is yours?

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:51 PM

Right now. "Right now" is the most interesting and experimental period of music there will ever be, because you've always got the rest of music history backing it up. Every artist is influenced by those that came before them, and nobody is truly "original" in the true sense of the word (and that's not a bad thing), taking the bits they like of one act and bits they like from another and throwing them all together to create their own unique sound. Thanks to the constantly increasing accessibility of music from all periods to everyone, and the fall in price and technical know-how needed for producing music personally everyone can have a go. This may mean it is more difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff, but there is a lot more of the good stuff out there.

Never let anybody tell you that music today is sh*t. Whether that's today, tomorrow or in 20 years time. There will always be music you like being made by someone somewhere, you just have to look for it.

ska
  • ska

Hemiplegia

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ May 30 2011, 15:51)
Right now. "Right now" is the most interesting and experimental period of music there will ever be, because you've always got the rest of music history backing it up. Every artist is influenced by those that came before them, and nobody is truly "original" in the true sense of the word (and that's not a bad thing), taking the bits they like of one act and bits they like from another and throwing them all together to create their own unique sound. Thanks to the constantly increasing accessibility of music from all periods to everyone, and the fall in price and technical know-how needed for producing music personally everyone can have a go. This may mean it is more difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff, but there is a lot more of the good stuff out there.

Never let anybody tell you that music today is sh*t. Whether that's today, tomorrow or in 20 years time. There will always be music you like being made by someone somewhere, you just have to look for it.

Great words, and very true. To be honest though, I simply can't get myself to listen to current pop music. Myself, I love to listen to current indie and alternative artists, if that counts. I'm guess it does, since it's right now.

Personally, I'm pulling for the 1980s. I love so much music from that decade.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:58 PM

Can't pick one, so I'll null. I'd have to say from the '60s through to the beginning of the last decade. Not saying I don't like anything from before or after, just most of the music in my library was recorded during the '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ May 30 2011, 22:51)

A great post, and I'll share this sentiment. Just because it says the music of "now", don't automatically think about what's currently popular and represented by more money-driven, manufacturing labels. There's a lot of music of today that honestly blows my mind and part of it is down the equipment and sheer power of the gear used, which is as advanced as it has ever been. I listen to a mixed bag, but everything I do listen to has been mastered, mixed and tweaked (most of the time) to make it sound polished, clear and crisp. Combine this with a decent pair of headphones and it's easier than ever to get lost in the music.

However, second to this, some of my all-time favourite albums were released in the 1960s and 1970s, and really shows just far music has come since the "boogie woogie" days, though that isn't to say that era wasn't any good. I'm just saying it's amazing sometimes how sound evolves.

Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:22 PM

I'm a classic rock fan so late 60's all the way up til early 80's. I'm also a big fan of classical...

Drift-Kingz
  • Drift-Kingz

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:23 PM

I voted 1990 - 2000. Alt. Metal, which is what I mostly listen to, 'moderated' in this age and became more popular.

Also, good words there Robinski. All the inspirations from the past decades and years fuel todays music. I'm gonna doubt that about rap though, IMO it's totally different the way we recognize it today. Hell, even Hip-Hop music.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

I chose 1980-1990, I may of not have lived through that decade but I sure like the music.

RedBlues
  • RedBlues

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ May 30 2011, 21:51)

i completely agree woth you
i pick 1950-1960 because is my style
there more outthere than hit radio artist
a good Rap group from today could be Fort Minor or Styles of Beyond
a good rock band from today could be... http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded (
Puma06111991's band)
and more
you just gotta look for them not wait for them to come to you
and i find it quite annoying when we got the internet and some people don't bother looking at new bands in youtube

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:10 AM

I co-sign every word of Robinski's, it's amazing how nowaday's music has evolved, and the "internet generations" grow up in a world where they get used to having everything at hand when they want to, allowing them to draw inspiration from every decade, and not just from what the neighborhood disc shop has to offer. I think that the older generations, in music, have done a great work in influencing young artists take off with their talents and aim to the top - I can only speak of the rap industry with accurate info, but we're seeing the average ages of succesful, acclaimed artists go younger and younger, and young artists can and will always bring in fresh ideas and styles, allowing subgenres to form and our understandment of music to open up wider and reach new horizons, and most importantly, create good music. Null vote.

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:28 AM

I picked today as well, for the simple fact that we basically have every other generation available as well. Some days I wake up and listen to a little Bobby Darin, then switch over to Alice in Chains and end with some Avenged Sevenfold. This is the first generation to truly be able to do things like that.

Now if we were talking about which I'd rather live in, I'd probably say the 60's, if only to live through the cultural revolutions first hand.

win001
  • win001

Top Gear

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:15 AM

1980-1990 was the best IMO just because it had the best kind of music available. Almost all of them were epic. Bon Jovi to Howard Jones, no sh*t they were awesome.

markwey
  • markwey

The Harwood Butcher

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:54 AM Edited by Markwey, 31 May 2011 - 06:39 PM.

For me it's 70's and 80's, but mostly the 80's. Oh, good times, good music, good everything... smile.gif

E: Damnit, i messed this one up. I thought that meant both of the decades... if i could change my answer it would be the 1980-1990

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:02 PM Edited by Robinski, 31 May 2011 - 04:19 PM.

Didn't think I'd get away with that post sporting a Gaga av/sig to be honest.

But yeah, I think technology advancing as it is is why I'm most pleased with the music of today. I know there is good music from the past, I listen to a lot of it, but in general most of my music has definitely been made in the past few years, and it's all thanks to technology at all ends. On the production end it's easier to see. For example, there's a band I'm really into at the moment called Sleigh Bells, and their schtick is pretty much indie-rock but with some "noise" type distortion over the vocals/guitar/drums for certain parts of their songs. I'm sure that sort of stuff has been easily possible for decades, but not necessarily available to a waiter and a girl from Brooklyn. Then you've got the whole spectrum of stuff like remixes, mashup artists and bedroom production where all the music is made/manipulated for next to nothing and it can be genuinely good.

Then you've got all the tech on the distribution side, it's now easier for everyone to get music they like, and following that gain new influences and ideas if they go on to make their own music. Things like Youtube are a great help; you can listen to artists entire back catalogue a lot of the time, all for free. I know I wouldn't have bought that Sleigh Bells album mentioned above if I'd only had the one song I heard on the radio to go on. Not to mention the opportunity it grants to amateurs: love, hate or not really care about him, you should be able to admit that Justin Bieber can sing, and he would've gone completely unnoticed had he not been picked up by some record label bigwig from YT With the emerging market of paid-for downloads (i.e. not piracy) everyone at all points on the spectrum benefit as well, it gives small and large acts a global audience. Whether that expands your audience from 50 fans in your home town to 50 fans in your home town, 1 guy in Warsaw, a handful in Jakarta and one kid in Paris or if it elevates you from a few million fans in a few countries to this sort of thing. (Also note the success of Adele across the board too, as well as the obvious)

So yeah, today's pretty cool I guess. Thanks science!

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (Markwey @ May 31 2011, 15:24)
1970-1980 means both 70's and 80's right?

It means between 1970 and 1980...

Was a tossup between 1990-2000 and 2000-2010, but went for the latter just because it's the era I grew up in when I was aware of music being released around me, and most of my collection is from there.

ChossenOne
  • ChossenOne

Ditched!

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:06 PM

The 80s. Kind of by default. The bigggest chunk of music I like was made in the 80s. From AC/DC to ZZ Top. The late 60s and 70s would be a close second.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

DYOM mission designer/user

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

For me, the favorite/best music decade are the 80's. Simply because that was the time when almost every genre of music was at his peak. Many great songs and albums were made. I really wish I was born in the 80's.

One more great thing about the 80's was that everybody listened to everything and that's just another prove of good music back then. You could go to pop music, you've had Michael Jackson, Madonna, Culture Club, Billy Idol etc. You could go to Rock music, you've had AC/DC, Guns n' Roses, U2, Bon Jovi, Dire Straits, Toto etc. You could go to Hair/Glam Metal music, you've had Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Quiet Riot, Whitesnake, Ozzy Osbourne etc.

I mean, you could pick and pick, listen and listen and you couldn't get bored.

Nowdays, there is no hits, there is no feeling, there is no real music anymore. Justin Bieber, Rebecca Black and Lady Gaga are the ''Hits of the year''. I mean, what the hell are we talking about here? C'mon, seriously.

So, 80's music > every other music decade.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

mine would be between 1990-2000 smile.gif .

Toup
  • Toup

Group: Cheesedicks

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy_Leppard @ May 31 2011, 19:33)

Nowdays, there is no hits, there is no feeling, there is no real music anymore. Justin Bieber, Rebecca Black and Lady Gaga are the ''Hits of the year''. I mean, what the hell are we talking about here? C'mon, seriously.

Don't let those nabs make your opinion about modern music wrong. You just need to search and dig and you'll find out that everything isn't crap nowadays, not at all. Me, i've discovered alternative rock, good luck finding your love.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:57 PM

So, 80's music > every other music decade

Somewhat ironic, considering how 80s influenced her latest album is, but let's not let actually listening to the music get in the way eh? But I'm not going to get into that, I've played hat record enough times in this forum.

As for Rebecca Black reflecting modern music: you do realise that the song/video was so popular because it was so bad? Nobody above the mental age of 10 was saying it was properly good music at all. Just because something is pervasive doesn't mean it got there because it was considered of high quality.

Cheat
  • Cheat

• The Connection

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

Wow, this guy should know not to even try to diss Gaga when Robinski's around... Well, if he's got sh*tty to none arguments, he's doomed anyways.

RedBlues
  • RedBlues

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ May 31 2011, 20:57)

So, 80's music > every other music decade

Somewhat ironic, considering how 80s influenced her latest album is, but let's not let actually listening to the music get in the way eh? But I'm not going to get into that, I've played hat record enough times in this forum.

As for Rebecca Black reflecting modern music: you do realise that the song/video was so popular because it was so bad? Nobody above the mental age of 10 was saying it was properly good music at all. Just because something is pervasive doesn't mean it got there because it was considered of high quality.

(sorry it wouldn't let me post the video)
Even this kids know Rebbecca's Friday song sucks

and i actually like Bad Romance by Lady Gaga,especially the instrumentals

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (RedBlues @ May 31 2011, 23:11)
and i actually like Bad Romance by Lady Gaga,especially the instrumentals

I'm going to start off with saying I voted the 80s due to 70% of songs I like are from the era.

But in relation to the quote, I'm finally going to admit that I agree.
I used to hear the song on the radio and just label it as 'pop garbage', despite the fact I kept humming it randomly whilst I was on my own. I then heard two covers of the song, one by a woman called Lizzie (cover artist) and one by Paramore's lead singer. Neither artists I've being overly keen on yet I loved their covers and would ignorantly think 'Yeah, show Gaga how it's done'. More recently I heard an a capella cover of the song by a group of men (linked because it's the same YouTube channel as the a capella Portal 2 opera cover) and found myself listening to it repeatedly whilst trying to become slightly good at StarCraft II with my mate. It was today though, after I listened to a GLaDOS dubbed version and clicking on Rob's sig that I finally noticed; I f*cking love that song. I've just passed it off as garbage due to it being popular and not something I was expected to listen to, whilst completely disregarding the fact that I thought the song sounded brilliant.

Long story short; it doesn't matter when it was made, if it's popular or if it's a genre you don't normally listen to. If you think it sounds good, listen to it.

This seems slightly off-topic but I just wanted to share since I only had this realization 30 minutes ago.

Cheat
  • Cheat

• The Connection

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (d0mm2k8 @ Jun 1 2011, 01:39)
Long story short; it doesn't matter when it was made, if it's popular or if it's a genre you don't normally listen to. If you think it sounds good, listen to it.

Amen.

Keep calm and be yo'self.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

90's.
I'm very much a child of the 90's (pre-nu) metal and industrial scene.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

For me it has to be 1990. Hip-hop music is my thing and most of the great stuff have come out from the 90s and that's when the consistency was better and the quality high. The 80s are a very close second as I love most of the things about that decade including the hip-hop music and most other stuff too. 60s and 70s get a bit of love for the funk music coming from it but most other stuff I don't care for much. The 2000s have had plenty of good material that were highly overlooked by weaker trash dominating.

Darkshade12
  • Darkshade12

The Trooper.

• Members

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:34 PM Edited by Darkshade12, 01 June 2011 - 08:37 PM.

1980-1995 (Had to extend it to 95) inlove.gif Van Halen, Metallica, Nirvana, The cure and all my other favourites.

Pansy.
  • Pansy.

COYP!

• Members

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:45 PM

Only saying 2000-2010s purely for Dubstep, Deadmau5 and the like. Otherwise the 70s or 90s.

GroveSt.Fam4L
  • GroveSt.Fam4L

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

We had a lot of good music in 1980-2000's, then Justin Bieber started singing.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:50 PM

The 80's. So many different and distinct genres occurred in that decade. Genres that were born earlier were at their peak like R'n'B, Metal and Rock, and lots of important genres were born in the 80's - Hip Hop and House for example.

The artists too, making great tracks. I never appreciated it as a decade while I was living in it, but it just makes today's music industry look like a crap karaoke contest - a homogenous sub RnB slop.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users