МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:24 PM

Firstly Hi, hows everyone doing? Secondly I'm half expecting this to die or get locked but hey, thought i'd give it a shot.
Thirdly, if this exists already, my apologies, please direct me accordingly.

Right. Any of you guys out there play Goalkeeper in soccer (though hockey etc are welcome to talk here).

I was thinking this could be a place to discuss the position, training and games you play in etc, tips and advice as well as a place we can share links and shops for gear.

What y'all think?

LanceVanceDance07
  • LanceVanceDance07

Endless...

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:17 AM

If you're talking about goalkeeping in footy/soccer, you should probably try the footy desk thread here.

I was a goalkeeper when I used to play footy in my younger days. I learned a lot in terms in my positioning and decision making, such as when to come out for the ball or when to stay back. By any chance, are you an aspiring keeper?

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:29 AM

I used to play goalie in road hockey when I was young. Was pretty good at it too from what everyone tells me.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (LanceVanceDance07 @ May 27 2011, 00:17)
If you're talking about goalkeeping in footy/soccer, you should probably try the footy desk thread here.

I was a goalkeeper when I used to play footy in my younger days. I learned a lot in terms in my positioning and decision making, such as when to come out for the ball or when to stay back. By any chance, are you an aspiring keeper?

Aspiring? No. I'm too old to take it anywhere. Been a keeper for 6 years, though only in the last year have i actually been training properly. I'm getting back into the saddle, and my form's coming back, though we're training too much in the halfsize, 9-aside goals, where i need to practice in the full sizes.

I deliberately didn't post this in the Footy Desk because that seems dedicated to football as a whole, and professional teams etc. This is more personal tounge.gif

I'm not the best keeper in the world, and I can silence my ego easily enough to happily ask for tips etc if i want them.

The idea here was to discuss training, techniques, and the position itself, why you got into playing it etc.

@Ryan. I've never actually played hockey. Was never my thing tbh, so I dunno what it's like playing GK in that game. Is it demanding - isn't hockey played at a hard&fast pace?

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:45 AM

I play goalkeeper sometimes and I'm pretty good at It (I'm talking about footy here) A good training exercise that I enjoy Is you sit down with your legs apart. Somebody else chucks the ball left, right, left, right etc. What you need to do Is catch the ball and quickly chuck It back. Believe me It challenging!

I don't know If he still does It but the old Carlisle United goalkeeper Kieron Westwood use to do It before a match. He was really good at It.

Міro
  • Міro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:33 AM

I play very often as a goal keeper.
If you want tips, I've got some from my own experience.

Simply focus on the ball and stop it with your hands. Any other part of the body is less easy to control and you might do a mistake leaving the ball to get in. Other than that, if you are the goalkeeper at there's a penalty shot, you can't really focus on the ball at all, as the distance is short and your brain has less time to think where to tell your body to go. The ones who are able to get the ball either anticipate it or just have luck.

Interesting thread, might learn something new. icon14.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

Tommy, That's a good one. I've seen it alot in pre match warm ups. I plan to get a rebound net sometime, and will probably use that exercise with that. I do the same in the gym, kinda. Get a medicine ball, toss it up slightly to my side, catch it and bring it back - helps promote good core and arm strength. Only down side is the size of a medicine ball, which is making a pre match warm up (and pre-training warm up) even more crucial.

miromiro. I try to gauge the shooter's positioning, which is bloody difficult. I've heard one tip which so far has helped:

If the penalty taker's (assuming he's right footed) run up is straight on, or of a very narrow angle, it's very likely that he (or she)will drive it straight down the middle, or to their left. If their run up is wide, then they probably will go to their right, into the corner.
That combined with their head& eye movement helps.
The best thing I've heard about penalties, and that has 100% removed my anxiety about them is this:

The keeper is not expected to save it. The pressure is ALL on the striker. He's supposed to score. If he scores, he scores. No one's going to say it's poor keeper-ing. If you save it you're a hero. You can't lose.

You're right though that saving should be done with your hands - except reaction saves. Those low hard ones a foot to your left, it's hard to get your hand to them - it's actually safer to put your foot out imo, but these ones you don't have time to think.
Most of being in goal i think is instinct, reactions. Training will help embed proper techniques into your instinct i think.

Luck certainly plays a part in goal, but only a small part really.

A J
  • A J

Damned Brotherhood [DAMN]

• Members
  • Wales
  • Best Event 2012 [Gang Wars]

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ May 27 2011, 10:48)
Tommy, That's a good one. I've seen it alot in pre match warm ups. I plan to get a rebound net sometime, and will probably use that exercise with that. I do the same in the gym, kinda. Get a medicine ball, toss it up slightly to my side, catch it and bring it back - helps promote good core and arm strength. Only down side is the size of a medicine ball, which is making a pre match warm up (and pre-training warm up) even more crucial.

miromiro. I try to gauge the shooter's positioning, which is bloody difficult. I've heard one tip which so far has helped:

If the penalty taker's (assuming he's right footed) run up is straight on, or of a very narrow angle, it's very likely that he (or she)will drive it straight down the middle, or to their left. If their run up is wide, then they probably will go to their right, into the corner.
The best thing I've heard about penalties, and that has 100% removed my anxiety about them is this:

The keeper is not expected to save it. The pressure is ALL on the striker. He's supposed to score. If he scores, he scores. No one's going to say it's poor keeper-ing. If you save it you're a hero. You can't lose.

You're right though that saving should be done with your hands - except reaction saves. Those low hard ones a foot to your left, it's hard to get your hand to them - it's actually safer to put your foot out imo, but these ones you don't have time to think.
Most of being in goal i think is instinct, reactions. Training will help embed proper techniques into your instinct i think.

I played all over the pitch when i was younger at footie, ended up playing in goal a number of times, i was a bit like Gomes though, fantastic one minute then like a fish out of water the next... dozingoff.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ May 27 2011, 16:27)
QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ May 27 2011, 10:48)

I played all over the pitch when i was younger at footie, ended up playing in goal a number of times, i was a bit like Gomes though, fantastic one minute then like a fish out of water the next... dozingoff.gif

haha nice comparison. We all have off days though. The only way to decrease the amount of bad games you have is training, and people who just play in goal every now and then it's not worth training.

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:18 AM

Yeah you have to always be focused when your a goalkeeper. If you loose concentration then there you go that's when you start to have a bad day.

You have to read the game well that's what I always got told.

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:49 AM

Just changed the topic title to hopefully garner a little more interest into the topic at hand. Personally, however, I haven't been a goalkeeper since I was eight years old at school, and still then I only learnt one lesson from it all: in a one-vs-one situation, keep your legs closed!

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:44 PM Edited by Ryan, 28 May 2011 - 06:46 PM.

Kinda off topic, but I was going through my iTunes library and remembered this song. It's The Lonely End Of The Rink by The Tragically Hip. It's written about hockey goalies.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:57 PM

JoeyLeone25 - thanks man smile.gif

Ryan - that's cool. I like to hear songs like that, so much more creative then half the sh*t that's around nowadays.

"Goalie, Goalie, Goalie, oh!".... sorry...

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:53 AM

I was very often the goalie in my hobby soccer team. This may have two reasons:

1. I smoke to much, my condition is bad and I like to do things with my hand
2. Goalkeepers are strange people, they´re often called "mad"

Both of this fits to me. tounge.gif
I´m lazy and crazy, a perfect goalie. icon14.gif

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (NaidRaida @ Jun 4 2011, 10:53)

Yep the most famous stereotype of a goalkeeper In football.

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (Tommy. @ Jun 4 2011, 10:51)
QUOTE (NaidRaida @ Jun 4 2011, 10:53)

Yep the most famous stereotype of a goalkeeper In football.

Stereotypes tend to stem from somewhere, back in the day you did have to be mad to be a goalie because the game was much more physical.

I was always sh*te in goal but i was a very good striker (played for Everton FC academy in my younger teen years), i used to watch lots of football, pick a player who did their job consistently well and try to learn from watching them. I watched how other strikers positioned themselves to make space for over the top passes, worked on imitating what they did and it clearly improved my game as i knew where to be when my team attacked and where i would head towards when in possesion of the ball so my teammates could continue the move etc. If i was you i'd watch how professional keepers narrow the angle down to make scoring harder, the techniques they use for diving, catching, kicking and then the most important part is going and practising those techniques until you see yourself saving more and getting the ball out the net less smile.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

I must admit i would like to master aerobatic diving. I can't do it too well without hurting myself, and i believe that's down to poor technique.

I disagree with people when they say that the GK's an unimportant role. You see it alot. "he's crap, stick him in goal." NO. Being a keeper is physically demanding, you have to be tough, strong and fast. Then there's the mental side, which is equally as demanding. most people don't realise what's required to be a good keeper, and some, to my annoyance, seem to be able to do it with not effort or training.

It is, in my opinion, the most difficult and most important role on the pitch. If a striker misses a shot, no biggie. A midfielder misplaces a pass, never mind. The keeper misses a shot, game over.
Also it's the one position that you can't be without. Lose a striker to a red card, you can adapt. lose the keeper, you'll HAVE to replace him. People take us for granted sad.gif

I also hope the training i've been doing lately is going to be apparent. I want the number 1 shirt next season. I hope what i'm doing is going to make that more likely.

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ May 27 2011, 11:48)

If you do manage to save a pen, don't get too ahead of yourself.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:24 PM

haha yeah. You NEVER take your eye off the ball. The ball's only safe when it's securely in your arms - even then you still need your wits about you tounge.gif

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:42 AM

This is really a dumb goalkeeper. biggrin.gif
I would seel him if I were the manager.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (NaidRaida @ Jun 5 2011, 00:42)
This is really a dumb goalkeeper. biggrin.gif
I would seel him if I were the manager.

I'm glad you're not a manager then.

Sure he was at fault for it, and should have been focused on the ball and not the glory... I'm not sure if he's the kind of player who always that, or one that made a simple mistake. We all make mistakes, some worse then others. The good keepers learn from them and move on.

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:09 PM Edited by NaidRaida, 05 June 2011 - 02:13 PM.

^^ Come on, I was joking. smile.gif
But that looks so... strange, he must have felt that the ball is still moving. mercie_blink.gif
Especially balls that are touched very slightly can get such a strong rotation that they´ll roll wide ways on the ground.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (NaidRaida @ Jun 5 2011, 14:09)
^^ Come on, I was joking. smile.gif
But that looks so... strange, he must have felt that the ball is still moving. mercie_blink.gif
Especially balls that are touched very slightly can get such a strong rotation that they´ll roll wide ways on the ground.

I was messing tounge.gif

But yeah, It's a MASSIVE fail to not notice that.
Assumption is the mother or all f*ckups.
What that other saying? "Assumption will make an Ass out of you......?"

kmlwin.1996
  • kmlwin.1996

Hold up™

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

I have played one as a goal keeper. But I play at defense or attack (usually defense).

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:48 PM Edited by NaidRaida, 07 June 2011 - 03:50 PM.

Ever heard about the "Scorpion Kick"? biggrin.gif

It´s what the goalkeepers life is all about. You are the hero or you are the idiot. Nothing in between. A goal ever made me feel as idiot no matter how the goal has happened cause I thought "If I get a goal, I fail". lol.gif

This is no joke: One day a hard pumped ball hit me badly in the balls... The pain was so weird that I roll over the line.... with the ball in my arms. lol

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (NaidRaida @ Tuesday, Jun 7 2011, 15:48)
This is no joke: One day a hard pumped ball hit me badly in the balls... The pain was so weird that I roll over the line.... with the ball in my arms. lol

It happens. I've shots to the balls a couple of times, and to the face. Kept em out tho biggrin.gif

Runey
  • Runey

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

Another important factor is communication with your back line. If you're not on the same page, bad things happen, I learned that the hard way.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (Runey. @ Friday, Jun 10 2011, 22:06)
Another important factor is communication with your back line. If you're not on the same page, bad things happen, I learned that the hard way.

oh yeah. You have to make sure they're all in the right place, WHILE watching the ball AND any other threats while also making sure your positioning is correct.
Whoever says being a GK is easy, or simple, is wrong. tounge.gif

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:20 AM

I was my school's designated goalkeeper, until a f*cking revolution took place, and got shot twice.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Monday, Jun 27 2011, 06:20)
I was my school's designated goalkeeper, until a f*cking revolution took place, and got shot twice.

come again?
"shot"?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users