Game of Thrones

1,745 replies to this topic
Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

Been reading I, Claudius these past few days and Pycell is a total Claudius - mr. Magoo-ing his way through purges and whatnot. Thought that was a pretty cool parallel.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

Sorry for the double post but I think some might get a kick out of this:

user posted image

It's like they're identical twins.

Toke
  • Toke

Gonna cover you in sh*t like a ton of pigeons

• Angels of Death MC
  • NATO

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

Wow thats creepy lol. You look from one to the other and it makes you wonder if the two are from the same family, makes ya wonder.

Two more days until A Dance with Dragons is released in the US and UK! WOOT!

A J
  • A J

Damned Brotherhood [DAMN]

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:21 PM

Lol, I got a kick out of that, thanks Gronf, quite disturbing really....

Anyways a few major next season cast confirmations made

Stephen Dillane will play Stanis Baratheon

Carice van Houten will play Melisandre

I have not read the second book yet, nor do I know these actors/actresses but Im sure they will do a good job, plus that woman looks pretty hot inlove.gif

Source : http://insidetv.ew.c...nis-melisandre/

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:42 PM

Thomas Jefferson as Stanis! From what I know of Stanis, I can see that working.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:47 AM

EVEN MORE casting news.

http://insidetv.ew.c...nningham-davos/

I haven't heard of this guy before, but he certainly LOOKS like Davos. The EW article has a nice non-spoiler intro to the character.

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (jelly @ Wednesday, Jul 20 2011, 01:47)
EVEN MORE casting news.

I haven't heard of this guy before, but he certainly LOOKS like Davos. The EW article has a nice non-spoiler intro to the character.

Liam Cunningham is pretty damn awesome. I have no idea what Stavos is like but I think Liam Cunningham will shine in Game of Thrones now that he's no longer in the dire 'Outcasts'.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (Pandazoot @ Wednesday, Jul 20 2011, 11:28)
QUOTE (jelly @ Wednesday, Jul 20 2011, 01:47)
EVEN MORE casting news.

Liam Cunningham is pretty damn awesome. I have no idea what Stavos is like but I think Liam Cunningham will shine in Game of Thrones now that he's no longer in the dire 'Outcasts'.

This should be fun.

user posted image

Granted, Davos is hardly an SAS officer, but.. orly.gif

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

Have you guys seen this? Super cute. MAJOR SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE FIRST SEASON ALL THE WAY THROUGH. No book spoilers beyond Game of Thrones.

http://www.collegehu...-of-thrones-rpg

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

@Otts: lol. That's an instant classic. ^

Just hoping this upcoming season will keep going strong and possibly tone it down on the gratuitous seemingly mandatory every other scene must have someone getting porked or magically losing clothing. I mean don't get me wrong there have been some pretty hot scenes in there but it gets in the way of the storytelling at times to be sure. Still totally looking forward to it.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

Eh, there was really only scene that irked me - the whole thing where Littlefinger's "training" the girls. Oh, and maybe Loras' slurping.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Saturday, Aug 6 2011, 17:53)
Eh, there was really only scene that irked me - the whole thing where Littlefinger's "training" the girls. Oh, and maybe Loras' slurping.

Bing and Bing.

Exactly those.

A J
  • A J

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:19 AM

Sort of a bump.

But some more casting news

Lucian Msamati has been cast to play a pirate, "Salladhor Saan"

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1748634/

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

Storyteller, Plus Hopeless Romantic.

• The Connection

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

I think I like a lot of the casting. The guy who is going to play Davos is in Harry Brown which stars Michael Caine and is on Netflix. Pretty sweet, though violent movie.

Tyler
  • Tyler

It's you

• Unknown

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:42 AM

Loved watching this series. I came into it expecting a sort of Sopranos in Middle Earth but it's much more than that. Every action leads up to a larger scale of decisions for the characters and it just feels right. Of course that wouldn't work if the characters weren't likeable. The Stark/Lannister rivalry that's sort of torn a rift in the Seven Kingdoms really keeps you guessing (unless you've read the books, which I haven't). Really yearning for season 2 but it's coming out after I enlist, so unless I end up waiting for a while it looks like I'll be waiting for a while.

Anyway, my favourite character is probably Dany and her story. It's a crazy transformation that she and the tribe she's with goes through in ten episodes, but it's not too forced onto us, and the payoff is.. gooood.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:46 PM

Just watched episode 9, one more to go. Loving this show a lot more than I thought I would after I watched episode 1.

The Shakespeare/ancient Rome nerd in my chuckled when Jaime Lannister challenged Robb to a duel. Reminded me of Antony challenging Octavian to a duel while the pair were at war. Octavian replying pretty much the same way Robb did; "you'll kick my ass, f*ck that bro". Any book fans here confirm whether G. R. R. Martin took influence from that?

So yeah, top show. Can't wait for season 2. Need to get episode 10 watched ASAP.

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

• The Connection

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:55 AM

Couldn't say whether or not GRRM took inspiration from that.

You should read the books, as they generally delve deeper into the story than the show possibly can, though only in those characters that point of views. There are several characters who are given more depth in the show (along with a few characters created and names changed).

Though there is a BIG underlying plot line that isn't really addressed in the series that is heavily hinted at by one of the character's subconscious thoughts. All I can say is that it concerns the white one.

Definitely didn't catch it my first read through, but things are clearer since reading the theories online and other books.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

Yeah I'll probably end up getting the book(s), whether I'll have time to read it is another thing. Would be better getting the spoilers from the books rather than inadvertently ruining it for myself with all the background reading of characters/events I do online. It reaaaaally helps to do a bit of online reading on the side with this show, clears a lot up.

Having said that, I would probably turn into one of those whiners who complain about every little discrepancy. Like the guys who litter review comments saying sh*t like "psssssh, Ghost shouldn't bark, wtf is that about?" and "oh they missed out so and so scene". Knowing the book can be a bit of a burden when watching it as a TV show.

Turns out the "Champion by Combat" theme is a common one throughout literature/the arts but I definitely got a Antony/Octavian vibe from the meeting between Jaime and Robb. Losing Sean Bean is a bit of a kick in the teeth, I love that guy, but I think Richard Madden's Robb finally came of age (as it where) in episode 9. Should be more than an adequate replacement to both the story and House Stark.

noodles
  • noodles

R.I.P Bob Barker....oh, yeah, quality

• The Connection

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Friday, Oct 14 2011, 08:07)
Yeah I'll probably end up getting the book(s), whether I'll have time to read it is another thing. Would be better getting the spoilers from the books rather than inadvertently ruining it for myself with all the background reading of characters/events I do online. It reaaaaally helps to do a bit of online reading on the side with this show, clears a lot up.

Having said that, I would probably turn into one of those whiners who complain about every little discrepancy. Like the guys who litter review comments saying sh*t like "psssssh, Ghost shouldn't bark, wtf is that about?" and "oh they missed out so and so scene". Knowing the book can be a bit of a burden when watching it as a TV show.

Turns out the "Champion by Combat" theme is a common one throughout literature/the arts but I definitely got a Antony/Octavian vibe from the meeting between Jaime and Robb. Losing Sean Bean is a bit of a kick in the teeth, I love that guy, but I think Richard Madden's Robb finally came of age (as it where) in episode 9. Should be more than an adequate replacement to both the story and House Stark.

Uhhh...nevermind

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (noodles @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 00:29)
Uhhh...nevermind

Uhhh...what's up noodles? biggrin.gif

I did end up getting the book, half way through the first right now. Must say how impressed I am at how faithful they were to it.

noodles
  • noodles

R.I.P Bob Barker....oh, yeah, quality

• The Connection

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Wednesday, Nov 2 2011, 20:51)
QUOTE (noodles @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 00:29)
Uhhh...nevermind

Uhhh...what's up noodles? biggrin.gif

I did end up getting the book, half way through the first right now. Must say how impressed I am at how faithful they were to it.

I was gonna say something, but didn't want t spoil anything or even post spoiler tags which would just entice people to spoil it for themselves. Best recommendation I can make is READ THE BOOKS!!!!! I'm almost done with Dance of Dragons and this series is one of the best I've read. I started reading Game of Thrones after the end of the season and it helped me understand the show so much better.

Just don't don't get too used to or attached to any characters. No one is safe in these books and I can't wait to see how that translates in the coming seasons.

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

• The Connection

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:01 AM

Don't get attached with anyone. RW. It shall be interesting to see how everyone reacts whenever that happens.

And don't try to figure it out. You have read the books, and you'll know what we're talking about.

By the way, my read through Dance with Dragons is probably the fastest I've ever read through a book. Very interesting developments.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

Yeah I'm aiming to get A Clash of Kings read at least before season 2 starts.

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

• The Connection

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

There should really be a thread for the books. Problem is, I don't know where that discussion should take place.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

Gen Chat is a good place for it. Or, for somewhere a little quieter - especially in these hectic times - writers' discussion could serve.

A J
  • A J

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

I'm going to read the book after or during the season for sure, I dont normally read, and whenever I try I find it hard to commit myself to finish a book, but after season 1, it took me less than a day and a half to read the first book, just couldn't put it down, and I loved being able to invision the text in my mind, the tv show casted the characters really well.

Anyways its surprises me there is not a sub-section, like movies and tv dedicated to books / learning or something, I guess writers discussion is the nearest thing.

When does the second season of Games of thrones start in the US?

Tyler
  • Tyler

It's you

• Unknown

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:43 AM

On books, I revived the general book topic, but if that doesn't serve a good place then I'll start up a topic in WD (if Ronmar doesn't beat me to it) once I start up A Song of Fire and Ice later this week.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

Been avoiding casting news and such while I'm reading the books but I stumbled upon the news that Conan Stevens has left the show. Ser Gregor Clegane is now going to be played by a guy who played the tall White Walker in episode one. Gah. Hate it when shows try to recast a role but I guess it's gotta be done. I think Stevens nailed his few scenes as Clegane, definitely memorable. His successor has a fair bit to live up to.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

Huh. That's a shame, but all the same, Gregor didn't have much screen time and he's all about the armor and beard. So it's not thaaaaaat bad. Unless you were an unnaturally huge fan of the original actor.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Monday, Nov 21 2011, 21:10)
Huh. That's a shame, but all the same, Gregor didn't have much screen time and he's all about the armor and beard. So it's not thaaaaaat bad. Unless you were an unnaturally huge fan of the original actor.

Oh but I was!

Will Ian Whyte deliver his lines with such awesomeness? Will he? tounge.gif

Think I'm more a fan of the character really. I know budget wise it was never going to happen, but if they had put the battles from the book in the show, Gregor would have come across even more of a badass. I mean, charging his horse into a wall of pikes, just to carve a hole in the formation? What a guy! It's bad but there's certain characters whose image in my head will always be of the actor who portrayed them in the show, Stevens being one of them.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users