Quantcast

» «
Photo

Game of Thrones

1,744 replies to this topic
jelly
  • jelly

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (Sauron. @ Friday, Jun 17 2011, 00:22)
Maybe you should just provide a link.

It says 'spoilers for current episodes', doesn't it?

If we can't discuss the latest episode openly nearly a week after it has aired I fail to see the point of the thread.

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

Storyteller, Plus Hopeless Romantic.

• The Connection

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (Otter @ Wednesday, Jun 15 2011, 05:51)
It's the heart tree, carved into a weirwood, central to the Godswood and a place to worship the Old Religion. It's expanded on quite a bit in the books, but they've lefy a lot of the lore out of the series. Read a little about it here. (this page is spoiler free)

http://awoiaf.wester...ex.php/Weirwood

Be careful not to click around too much and spoil yourself, though. Main point is that this is what the Northmen pray to, particularly the Starks. In that one episode where Jon takes a hike past the wall to make his oath before the tree with a face carved into it - same thing.

Holy f*ck I'm dorkin' out right here.

Yeah, there is a lot of background information in the books not in the show. I mean, has the common viewer realized that Lord Frey has like 40 children and probably, at least, three times as many grandchildren? Also, I'm not counting bastards.

If there is one thing that really makes be sad about Ned's death, it is that he never gets a chance to have a conversation with Jon about his birth.

I so want to see/read a prequel about rebellion against the Mad King. Hearing about all the characters is nice and all in the books and the series, but damnit!

Also, I've currently started to watch The Pillars fo the Earth (about to go off streaming on Netflix) and it is proofing to be a fine diversion to Game of Thrones if anyone is interested at that tidbit.

Not to mention that Camelot is about to go onto Netflix streaming and that the final two seasons of the Tudors better f*cking get on there.

A J
  • A J

Damned Brotherhood [DAMN]

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

I actually picked up the first book the other day, and quite literally in the space of a day finished reading it, well up to the bit where the tv show is currently at, I'd reccomend reading the book to anyone, after watching the show it's nice to read bits where you can actually see how they'd made it very true to the book, and in other places left stuff out, its a pity a lot of the dire wolf action has been taken out.

I was shook by the death of Eddard, but if anything that goes to show how good this show actually is, and like someone previously I was hoping he would of been reunited with jon snow to talk about his mother, I'm wondering who is going to star as Stannis ? I havent read much about the character but anyone got any suggestions?

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

• The Connection

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:33 AM

sh*t. I couldn't say who they're going to get to play that part. After reading this book and the next, there are some definite big parts ahead.

Toke
  • Toke

Gonna cover you in sh*t like a ton of pigeons

• Angels of Death MC
  • NATO

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

Well since the role of Stannis is quite a big one and that his character will be key during the second and third seasons I would think that they would have to get another big name actor.

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

• The Connection

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:46 PM

There are many big roles in the upcoming season. I personally don't think we should signal how long any of these people may last so that the twists and turns will be surprising to those who've yet to read the books.

By the way, do people think that the next season will just get the normal 13 episode order or possibly more? A ton of sh*t happens.

A J
  • A J

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:41 PM

would Viggo Mortenson be a good choice? Personally though, I dont think a major star is needed, as long as they act well, and I think so far, everyone who has starred, acts superbly, and is a major part of why I like this show so much, seriously never thought I'd dig something like this, wasn't much of a fan of lord of the rings.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• England

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:44 AM

I've just finished watching the finale and oh my gods. This has to be the most well made show I've seen in a long time. The emotions you go through each episode, fantastic. I'm somehow grateful I haven't read the books yet because the last few episodes and that finale ending have been a phenomenal rollercoaster ride.

Saying that, I'm going to treat myself this week and buy the series, I simply have to know more.

[/end squee moment]

Toke
  • Toke

Gonna cover you in sh*t like a ton of pigeons

• Angels of Death MC
  • NATO

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:18 AM

Now we have to wait a year for season 2. Waaaah its not fair! cryani.gif

Good finale though.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:04 AM

Am I seriously supposed to wait for a whole year for the next season? Holy sh*t the finale was awesome!

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

Yeah, there's so much that is in place to blow the f*ck up in season two.

A J
  • A J

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (MissCloud @ Monday, Jun 20 2011, 03:44)
I've just finished watching the finale and oh my gods. This has to be the most well made show I've seen in a long time. The emotions you go through each episode, fantastic. I'm somehow grateful I haven't read the books yet because the last few episodes and that finale ending have been a phenomenal rollercoaster ride.

Saying that, I'm going to treat myself this week and buy the series, I simply have to know more.

[/end squee moment]

Exactly how I feel, but I won't I'm going to finished reading the first book, once this series has ended, and probably try to read the second once the second series has begun, but yeah its going to be a long ass wait.

Another tv show, I love though is starting again though, Breaking Bad ! Damn its a good show, but where they are going to take it next, I have no idea, just hope it doesnt turn into prison break!

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:20 PM

Wow! So how cool wasn't that last scene? I thought Dany being immune to heat was one thing, but actually surviving a giant freakin' blaze like that, without SCREAMING I might add, was not something I saw coming. So I guess we've got the zombies' and White Walkers' way in now. Because those dragons are totally going to melt a hole in that wall, right? Why else would we have spent so much time on the Knight's Watch and even placed a large character there if they were just to sit around exiling all day long, with the occasional search for a handless brother? Sure it's an interesting environment, but come on. The zombies have to enter Westeros. I'm just speculating wildly here. It would feel kinda cheap if the show turned into dragon ex machina for an hour a week. But if that means more time with Jon and Sam I'm cool inlove.gif That is pretty much my only complaint with this episode - getting blueballed like that with the Knight's Watch. Well, that and Lancel. As if incest wasn't freaky enough, they throw him into the mix.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:10 AM

Yea, you're left at a pretty low point with the last episode so it was really cool to see things get so very ramped up and poised for Season 2.

Absolutely looking forward to it.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

If you're not British, this sh*t will blow your mind.

Meet Bronn.

Ser Ilyn Payne..

Straznicy
  • Straznicy

Laugh at your problems

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:08 PM

The temptation to start reading the books is nearly overwhelming me. But I want everything to come as a surprise in GoT when it's back. D:

A J
  • A J

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

I've just finished reading the first book, I'd reccomend reading the books as you watch the show, it was great to see bits taken directly from the book, i only wish each episode was longer, because its that awesome.

I couldnt give a sh*t about robson and jerome, soldier soldier, he's good actor and he's playing a good part here

I expect the next series will have a CGI, hope they do this right though.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ Wednesday, Jun 22 2011, 15:41)
I expect the next series will have a CGI, hope they do this right though.

The trick is not to whore it too much.

I think they've been pretty restrained thus far, we've seen a brief and gruesome encounter with the actual White Walkers in one of the opening scenes and finally the baby dragons in the final scene, so if they keep the storyline up front as they have mixed with the gratuitous nudity and sex our attention should be retained well into season 3.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• England

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (jelly @ Wednesday, Jun 22 2011, 12:00)
If you're not British, this sh*t will blow your mind.

Meet Bronn.
[youtube]

Oh my god I can't believe I totally missed this, I've only just realised it was him! That beard plays tricks on your mind.

Sauron
  • Sauron

chillin' like a mega villain

• The Precinct

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:35 AM

Anyone else think episode 9 would of been a perfect finale where as episode 10 should've been the first episode of season 2?

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:45 AM

Yeah. Episode 9 and 10 should have been one episode ending with Eddard's death.

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

• The Connection

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:01 AM

Well, that's not what happens in the books. I would also say that in the grand picture of things, the rebirth of dragons to the world is a bigger event than the death of some northern lord (though he was the former hand and warden of the north).

While Eddard's death does cause some big events in Westros, dragons being born is the biggest since they've been extinct for around 100 years and were used to invade and conquer Westros.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (Sauron. @ Thursday, Jun 23 2011, 02:35)
Anyone else think episode 9 would of been a perfect finale where as episode 10 should've been the first episode of season 2?

But this show obviously doesn't follow the typical storytelling. I think they wanted to show us that no matter how important some characters (even main characters like Eddard) seem to be, they're not, and they could all die at any time. And I think that birth of dragons is more important than death of one man.

Use spoiler tags people.

Sauron
  • Sauron

chillin' like a mega villain

• The Precinct

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

I think Eddard played a pretty significant role in the first season of the TELEVISION series. I haven't read the books so I can't comment on what was more significant in the writing. However, I don't think the dragons, or the history of the dragons played a significant role in the first season. I'll admit it was mentioned a few times but it was not emphasised. Episode 9 had fantastic pacing, tension and ultimately finished with Eddard's death which was HUGE. In comparison episode 10 finished with Khaleesi walking into some flames and wakin up with some digital dragons in her lap. Big woop.

Just how I felt. Great series regardless.

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (Sauron. @ Thursday, Jun 23 2011, 10:25)
I think Eddard played a pretty significant role in the first season of the TELEVISION series. I haven't read the books so I can't comment on what was more significant in the writing. However, I don't think the dragons, or the history of the dragons played a significant role in the first season. I'll admit it was mentioned a few times but it was not emphasised. Episode 9 had fantastic pacing, tension and ultimately finished with Eddard's death which was HUGE. In comparison episode 10 finished with Khaleesi walking into some flames and wakin up with some digital dragons in her lap. Big woop.

Just how I felt. Great series regardless.

Yeah I see where you're coming from. The final episode did seem like a prologue for the next season and was mostly about moving characters into place for the next season. But hopefully that means that when Season 2 comes around, they can just hit the ground running and get straight into the thick of it.

But like you said, it's a great series regardless and every episode was top notch stuff. One of the best new shows in a while.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

Casting news!

http://insidetv.ew.c...hrones-casting/ - the article contains minor spoilers about the setting up early in the season.

I have not watched The Tudors myself, but everyone seems happy. Good enough for science.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

Yea, she did a pretty good job on The Tudors but I'd much rather them snag Jonathan Rhys Meyers who did a bang up job playing King Henry VIII but he'd probably stick out like a sore thumb after coming off such a notable series.

A J
  • A J

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

nice find, I'm going to try and steer away from this sort of thing though, i like surprises smile.gif

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (Ronmar The Only @ Thursday, Jun 23 2011, 01:01)
Well, that's not what happens in the books. I would also say that in the grand picture of things, the rebirth of dragons to the world is a bigger event than the death of some northern lord (though he was the former hand and warden of the north).

While Eddard's death does cause some big events in Westros, dragons being born is the biggest since they've been extinct for around 100 years and were used to invade and conquer Westros.

My vision is of both those scenes being crosscut so they happen at the same time, or at least have the shot of the sword coming down, and then the big pan out of Daenerys with the dragons.

Lochie
  • Lochie

darkness washed over the dude

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

Ugh this show rules so hard! I read the first book years ago back when I was about 13 so I had forgotten quite a bit of the plot. I bought the second book in preparation for this TV series and I'm so keen to start reading it, awesome fantasy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users