Photo

Game of Thrones

1,764 replies to this topic
SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 20:06)
QUOTE (Firefly8000 @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 20:38)
Can't wait to see the reactions to Lady Stoneheart.

I wonder if they'll put that in the season finale. I can't wait to see how they're gonna do it. Probably a bit more toned down than in the book.

I bet they do. Hiding Michelle Fairley for alllll the promo stuff for season 4 would be an unnecessary burden for them. Plus they sort of like to end a season with a supernatural/fantasy element. My guess is we shall see the Brotherhood Without Banners fishing her out of the river and see Beric Dondarrion bringing her back to life at the cost of his own; something not in the book, sure, but I think it'd make for a fascinating finale moment.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

What a crazy episode this was. mercie_blink.gif

solofme
  • solofme

True City Killers - Leader - PS3

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 20:30)
What a crazy episode this was. mercie_blink.gif

That is a bit of an understatement...it was insane tounge.gif
I have never been so shocked as this from any movie/series
GoT really is something else, I just can't wait seeing how this unfolds

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Yeah, I've gotta say, I'm kinda jealous of you guys who didn't know it was coming. So well done. Would have only been better if they went the full distance and had Grey Wind's head sewn onto Robb's body although I reckon they'll at least allude to it in the finale.

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

Jesus Christ. What an episode. Michelle Fairley absolutely killed it in the end there, I haven't been too fussed on Cat at all but, god damn, that was some really powerful stuff.

QUOTE (orbitalraindrops @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 13:49)
GRRM Said the red wedding is based on the black feast which was a real massacre which happened up in Scotland apparently. Grisly stuff.

I've just read it was also based on the Glencoe Massacre:
QUOTE (George R R Martin)
What about the Red Wedding itself? Is that based on history too?
The Red Wedding is based on a couple real events from Scottish history. One was a case called The Black Dinner. The king of Scotland was fighting the Black Douglas clan. He reached out to make peace. He offered the young Earl of Douglas safe passage. He came to Edinburgh Castle and had a great feast. Then at the end of the feast, [the king's men] started pounding on a single drum. They brought out a covered plate and put it in front of the Earl and revealed it was the head of a black boar — the symbol of death. And as soon as he saw it, he knew what it meant. They dragged them out and put them to death in the courtyard. The larger instance was the Glencoe Massacre. Clan MacDonald stayed with the Campbell clan  overnight and the laws of hospitality supposedly applied. But the Campbells arose and started butchering every MacDonald they could get their hands on. No matter how much I make up, there’s stuff in history that’s just as bad, or worse.

Yeah... I'm a Campbell. Of that family. I feel kind of unclean.

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

I wonder how you'd sleep after doing something like that. I wonder what it'd feel like. Whether you'd have any sense of remose or if you'd be extremely pleased with your cunning. The one thing that always irked me a bit about the Red Wedding was the butchery of the Stark men outside the castle walls. In the book it goes into a bit more detail with special tents rigged up to collapse and be set fire to. That said surely every Frey man at arms would know what's happening. It'd have taken military precision to pull off successfully and it's surprising that no frey soldier blabbed before hand or something.

Failure
  • Failure

My life has no meaning

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (orbitalraindrops @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 21:46)
I wonder how you'd sleep after doing something like that. I wonder what it'd feel like. Whether you'd have any sense of remose or if you'd be extremely pleased with your cunning. The one thing that always irked me a bit about the Red Wedding was the butchery of the Stark men outside the castle walls. In the book it goes into a bit more detail with special tents rigged up to collapse and be set fire to. That said surely every Frey man at arms would know what's happening. It'd have taken military precision to pull off successfully and it's surprising that no frey soldier blabbed before hand or something.

This is something which really irks me somewhat about the book. I mean, in ASOS, all of the Freys with some sort of sentimental connection to the Starks or Tullys are conveniently "absent" from the wedding--Robb's old squire and the guy who went with Catelyn to meet Renly, to name a couple. This suggests strongly that they were aware of the true intent behind the wedding (I mean, if a young squire knows whats going to happen, then surely the rest of them know). Of course, these characters may have been killed off by Walder Frey before they could get a chance to tell Robb of the coming planed atrocity--though kinslaying is frowned upon throughout Westeros, so I doubt this.

I think the show did the Red Wedding justice. Even without the Smalljon upending tables and such, it was still done very well--it was just chilling when the "Rains of Castamere" was played. Having Talisa/Jeyne there made the whole thing even more brutal--Robb looks as though he's completely died inside when he notices that she's been stabbed. On a much lighter note, Lady Roslyn was perfectly cast--she looks almost exactly as I imagined her. I hope she makes a return.

Orbital: To be honest, I can't see Lord Frey losing much sleep over what he's done, largely as the whole thing was planned mainly by Tywin (constantly writing letters, naming Sansa as the only heir to Winterfell prior to the RW, etc) but also because he's just a bit of a sociopath. I think it really depends on the person. The kind of person willing to do something as heinous as this probably has no capacity for remorse anyway.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:58 AM Edited by darthYENIK, 04 June 2013 - 02:07 AM.

Funny...

https://vine.co/v/b3XZMHmxzxh

Also this...

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:35 AM

you know the funny part about last night is how little it affected me; after the initial shock of the event itself.

I don't know about anyone else, but the Starks were my least favorite characters to be honest.
they were boring; the stereotypical "good guys" with their attractive king and queen who can't keep their attractive hands off of each other.

ugh.
who needs em?

if you want stereotypical fiction where the "good guys" are easy to identify and ALWAYS come out on top, then watch Harry Potter.
it's nice that Game of Thrones does not babysit its viewers. it treats them like adults and follows a much more realistic model for its stories. because in reality, the good guys don't always triumph. sometimes the good guys are tragically defeated. sometimes they are back-stabbed and utterly betrayed.

sh*t happens.

and so I was actually kind of relieved when it was over.
aside from the fact that I don't care about Robb or his dumb wife, we finally get to EXPAND on the characters who were my favorites all along. the underdogs.

Arya.
the Hound.
Stannis.
Davos.
Jon Snow.
Tyrion.
Sansa.
Bran.
Little Finger and the Eunuch.
Tywin and Joeffrey.
Cersei and Marg.
and of course Dany and her Dragons!

these were my heroes all along.
the Starks? meh. pretty boy had it coming for being an arrogant dick.

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:19 AM

Did Aegon's dragons die? If so, how?

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:58 AM Edited by darthYENIK, 04 June 2013 - 11:29 PM.

Yes, they are dead. Their skulls are the ones that are in the bowels of the Red Keep, where Arya hides during an episode of the first season.

Someone else will have to tell you about their death, because I'm not sure off the top of my head.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

OMFG! I was not expecting that!

Just watched it now on catch up and I feel a little sick. What a cowardly thing to do. I was already shocked by McKenzie Crook but fook, it feels like the show's had its guts ripped out. I'm already plotting ways Walder Frey will meet his end.

Best episode so far.

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

The thing I like about Roose Bolton is how he has managed to become one of the top houses through scheming and manipulation rather than outright force.

Case of point being these.
http://awoiaf.wester...e_of_Duskendale
http://awoiaf.wester...f_the_Ruby_Ford

He was given command of the majority of the Northern army and sent all but his own and that of the Karstarks (Who harboured animosity towards Robb) to there deaths.

This is my favourite Roose quote and sums up everything which makes him such an excellent villain.
"No tales were ever told of me. Do you think I would be sitting here if it were otherwise? Your amusements are your own, I will not chide you on that count, but you must be more discreet. A peaceful land, a quiet people. That has always been my rule. Make it yours."

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:15 PM Edited by Majestic81, 04 June 2013 - 09:51 PM.

f*ck. that episode was awesome, i never did care about the Starks or they're whole cause, them along with Dany were the most boring characters ever for me. but that last scene really got to me, it was just epic. i loved how the Rain of Castamere started playing. I sincerely hope Frey pays for his treachery.

A J
  • A J

Damned Brotherhood [DAMN]

• Members
  • Wales
  • Best Event 2012 [Gang Wars]

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

I was kind of hoping the hound would of saved the day blush.gif instead he saved just Ayra.

Shockingly horrific, and brilliant performances. Before that whole scene I was laughing my ass off, at how all of sudden that reluctant groom had been given a pretty bride!

Damn it, this show is just too good.

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:02 PM Edited by SweatyPa1ms, 04 June 2013 - 11:52 PM.

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 20:54)
I was kind of hoping the hound would of saved the day  blush.gif instead he saved just Ayra.

Shockingly horrific, and brilliant performances. Before that whole scene I was laughing my ass off, at how all of sudden that reluctant groom had been given a pretty bride!

Damn it, this show is just too good.

Thank the old gods he did save Arya though blush.gif .

I felt so sorry for Rob's Direwolf sad.gif .

Arya is f*cking vexed now. I hope she has her vengeance and ends up sitting on the throne. Once Dany has gone mad... Which is inevitable isn't it? Apparently all Targaryens end up going mental because they're all inbred as f*ck. Hence "The Mad King".

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (SweatyPa1ms @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 23:02)
Arya is f*cking vexed now.  I hope she has her vengeance and ends up sitting on the throne.  Once Dany has gone mad...  Which is inevitable isn't it?  Apparently all Targaryens end up going mental because they're all inbred as f*ck.  Hence "The Mad King".

Not all of them. There's an old saying (Tyrion mentioned it last season): "Every time a Targaryen is born the Gods flip a coin."

As for Arya, she has no claim on the Iron Throne. Her end is destined to be horrible, I think, but I'm hoping she takes many out with her.

All these show-watching folks going through the stages of grief should know it gets better... sort of. But we've all been there.

user posted image

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:38 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 22 February 2014 - 12:56 AM.

Yeah, seriously, it was just as shocking to read for the first time as it was to the people who were blind sided by the show. We went through all the same things, including denial. I read at least a hundred pages after the Red Wedding before I began to believe Robb and Catelyn were dead. To me, their fate was a little more vague in the book, since that chapter is from the POV of Catelyn, and she can't exactly see her own lifeless corpse when she's dead. I just expected them to pop up again, like Bran and Rickon did.

EDIT: Also, I can't wait until next year. Imagine all the crying and sadness in the reactions of the TV only crowd for the Red Wedding, and then invert that to happiness and joy when
Spoiler
I'll adamantly say that the TV only fans will want to watch next season.

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 23:19)
QUOTE (SweatyPa1ms @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 23:02)
Arya is f*cking vexed now.  I hope she has her vengeance and ends up sitting on the throne.  Once Dany has gone mad...  Which is inevitable isn't it?  Apparently all Targaryens end up going mental because they're all inbred as f*ck.  Hence "The Mad King".

Not all of them. There's an old saying (Tyrion mentioned it last season): "Every time a Targaryen is born the Gods flip a coin."

As for Arya, she has no claim on the Iron Throne. Her end is destined to be horrible, I think, but I'm hoping she takes many out with her.

If she does die, I do hope she goes down taking a few Lannisters and Freys with her. If Stannis or Dany hasn't killed them all by then that is. I wasn't too bothered about Rob getting killed. He's pretty much the only actor/actress in the show that I don't care for. His scenes (apart from the last one) weren't amazing. It was all just a limbo of tents and horses. It was pretty brutal how he couldn't even get his last words out to his Mum though barf8bd.gif . His wife started to grow on me roughly the same time that Catelyn started to like her. Pretty weird. Anyway, I knew Rob was gonna die and thought it was crucial the the progression of the the story. Was still shocking though. Not gonna lie. I only realised how good Michelle Fairley's acting was in that last scene of hers. She was really good.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 23:38)
EDIT: Also, I can't wait until next year. Imagine all the crying and sadness in the reactions of the TV only crowd for the Red Wedding, and then invert that to happiness and joy when Joffrey dies. The fact that these two events elicit such strong polar opposite reactions is what makes ASOS a great book. And then add the epicness of the Battle of Castle Black and the death of Tywin, once again, I'll adamantly say that the TV only fans will want to watch next season.

And then factor in the reality that the post-RW world is one where Roose 'Don't Make Me Regret the Day I Raped Your Mother' Bolton and his bastard son, not to mention Lord Frey and eventually Cersei, wield so much considerable power. Young Joffrey begins to look like the lesser of all the Westerosi evils. Amoral but competent is preferable to amoral and psychotic any day.

TEoS
  • TEoS

Prepare for trouble...

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 15:50)
EDIT: Also, I can't wait until next year. Imagine all the crying and sadness in the reactions of the TV only crowd for the Red Wedding, and then invert that to happiness and joy when Joffrey dies.  The fact that these two events elicit such strong polar opposite reactions is what makes ASOS a great book.  And then add the epicness of the Battle of Castle Black and the death of Tywin, once again, I'll adamantly say that the TV only fans will want to watch next season.

And then factor in the reality that the post-RW world is one where Roose 'Don't Make Me Regret the Day I Raped Your Mother' Bolton and his bastard son, not to mention Lord Frey and eventually Cersei, wield so much considerable power. Young Joffrey begins to look like the lesser of all the Westerosi evils. Amoral but competent is preferable to amoral and psychotic any day.

I dunno, while all those people are IN power, I feel their grasp on it is tenuous at best. Cersei is struggling with the Tyrells and the High Sparrow, Roose Bolton is surrounded by angry Northmen who are only kept in line by a plethora of hostages and the backing of the failing crown, and the Freys have become the most despised family in Westeros with a zombieStark hunting them ruthlessly. Even though the Red Wedding may have been a masterstroke, I feel like it has sowed the seeds for all of their undoing. At least I hope so anyway.

Are you guys ever scared that this series doesn't have a happy ending. I mean, I only really suffer through it because I like to believe that at the end, there will be a rainbow, even if it's just a tiny, puny pathetic one.

How long do you guys think Roose Bolton was plotting this betrayal? It was obviously a while in the making, and with the Starks and Boltons being long standing rivals, I wonder if he was ever a truly loyal bannerman.

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Roose also has to deal with the impending army of Stannis marching down on him. And most of Boltons army isn't even loyal to him!

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 09:24)
OMFG! I was not expecting that!

Just watched it now on catch up and I feel a little sick. What a cowardly thing to do. I was already shocked by McKenzie Crook but fook, it feels like the show's had its guts ripped out. I'm already plotting ways Walder Frey will meet his end.

Best episode so far.

Likewise, I too just caught it about 15 mins ago and I actually feel unwell. The start of the bloodbath with the repeated stabbing of the baby in her womb is f*cking brutal.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (TEoS @ Wednesday, Jun 5 2013, 04:48)
How long do you guys think Roose Bolton was plotting this betrayal? It was obviously a while in the making, and with the Starks and Boltons being long standing rivals, I wonder if he was ever a truly loyal bannerman.

Probably around the time of Harrenhal when he and Lord Karstark started voicing their concerns quietly. Or maybe earlier when Robb wed Talisa.

On a lighter note:

user posted image

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:30 AM

So, apparently Bran is the first skinwalker/warg to be able to possess another human, okay, but something I've been wondering, do we know why wargs are common north of the wall but rare south of it?

TEoS
  • TEoS

Prepare for trouble...

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:30 AM Edited by TEoS, 06 June 2013 - 05:33 AM.

QUOTE (rudy. @ Wednesday, Jun 5 2013, 19:30)
So, apparently Bran is the first skinwalker/warg to be able to possess another human, okay, but something I've been wondering, do we know why wargs are common north of the wall but rare south of it?

I don't think any concrete evidence has been provided, but if I was going to theorize, I'd say it had something to do with northerners being genetically/culturally closer to the First Men as opposed to the Andals. The First Men lived in harmony with and learned from the Children of the Forest (after a war and the shattering of a continent anyway), who were also capable of Greensight and Warging. When the Andals came with the Faith of the Seven, they conquered all of the southern kingdoms, which is why only the North follows the Old Gods.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:35 AM

There's also a sort of unspoken explanation that magic is beginning to rise once again, from the far corners of the world.

The magic is something that even the most learned characters fail to truly recognize, which is why I find it so fascinating.

Cuban Warlord
  • Cuban Warlord

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (TEoS @ Wednesday, Jun 5 2013, 04:48)
QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 15:50)
EDIT: Also, I can't wait until next year. Imagine all the crying and sadness in the reactions of the TV only crowd for the Red Wedding, and then invert that to happiness and joy when Joffrey dies.  The fact that these two events elicit such strong polar opposite reactions is what makes ASOS a great book.  And then add the epicness of the Battle of Castle Black and the death of Tywin, once again, I'll adamantly say that the TV only fans will want to watch next season.

I dunno, while all those people are IN power, I feel their grasp on it is tenuous at best. Cersei is struggling with the Tyrells and the High Sparrow, Roose Bolton is surrounded by angry Northmen who are only kept in line by a plethora of hostages and the backing of the failing crown, and the Freys have become the most despised family in Westeros with a zombieStark hunting them ruthlessly. Even though the Red Wedding may have been a masterstroke, I feel like it has sowed the seeds for all of their undoing. At least I hope so anyway.

Are you guys ever scared that this series doesn't have a happy ending. I mean, I only really suffer through it because I like to believe that at the end, there will be a rainbow, even if it's just a tiny, puny pathetic one.

I've heard that GRRM was asked that question a long time ago about the ending of the book and he said the ending would be bittersweet. So take that as you will I guess. It makes me think that ALOT of characters we care about are going to die but in the end some people that you like and some people that you dislike will be in control of Westeros. He also said several houses will go extinct.

The main thing I want by the end of the series is some sort of Stark reunion which I feel will be Rickon and Sansa imo. Arya and Jon are goner's I think and Bran will never leave his location. Another thing I want before the series end is for Dany to realize that her f*cking dad was bat sh*t crazy and I hope her viewing the Starks as Usurper Dogs changes. My last wish is for Theon to find some peace, he deserves it. I hope he helps revive the Stark house and in the process realizes that just like Jon he may not be totally Stark but this is where his heart lies.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE (rudy. @ Wednesday, Jun 5 2013, 22:30)
So, apparently Bran is the first skinwalker/warg to be able to possess another human

to be fair, the giant isn't an ordinary human.

he's a simpleton. like, today he'd be diagnosed with some kind of mental disability.
this probably makes his "mind" easier to control than it would be for the rest of us.

at least that's my interpretation of how that happened... having never read the books.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users