Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2014
    Second Best Alien

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:39 PM

The books never got to Sam "discovering" it, but it was widely discussed in other context.  

• El Diablo likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:14 PM Edited by El Diablo, 17 July 2017 - 07:15 PM.

maybe I've just forgotten the details because it's been so long, but this was my take on the dragon glass thing...

in the context of the show, I thought that dragon glass from Dragonstone was only a rumor. it seemed like characters in the show knew about the connection between Dragonstone and the glass but they thought it was just an old legend. the same way people knew about actual Dragons but they assumed Dragons were long extinct. they knew dragon glass was real but they thought that most of it was already long gone. like they assumed that the Targaryen's and others had already excavated, mined, and dug up (and manufactured, and used) most of the original dragon glass. they thought that nothing was left.

and here Samwell has rediscovered the fact that virtually the entire mountain and geology of the Dragonstone island is comprised of glass deep within the rock. something that people may have certainly known but it was lost to time. or basically no one had a reason to care for such a long time. because they had this extended Summer and hadn't needed to worry about a Winter for generations.

• AlienTwo and JZFB like this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:18 PM Edited by The Yokel, 17 July 2017 - 07:25 PM.

Also, people should really stop comparing the show to the books at this point. It's too late. It's been late for quite some time now. The show is doing its own thing. I stopped when it became obvious that Lady Stoneheart won't be making an appearance. I know that some people still harbor hope, but even if it happens it makes no difference. The show is still too far gone from its book origins.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:27 PM

The opening scene was great. The dragonstone revealation put end to many speculations. By now, I'm sure that people wouldn't surprised on the difference from the books. After some 20 proper minutes or so, the episode went back to boring so I paused it and watched when I wasn't super bored. Overall, not a great way of starting a new season.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:27 PM

I know, I just get the books and show confused in my head. Mostly in terms of lore and what is said and not said in the show.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
  • Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2016
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:29 PM

It's kind of hard not to compare the show to the books... they are based on them.  Regardless, that wasn't what I was doing, I was trying to sift through the different layers of mythos and remember where what info came from. I think the Devil has it properly in regards to the dragonglass shards, and I'm starting to remember Stannis, when talking about dragonglass, had simply said that he believes there is dragonglass there and Sam should keep looking for methods to fight the walkers.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2016
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:16 PM

I don't know what it is, but I really liked this opener even though it was slow burning. The dialogue just seemed good, and the scenes they gave us were just really satisifying after what feels like such a long time since season 6.

Arya is and always has been a badass. I like the Jon and Sansa relationship even though I think something is going to go wrong pretty soon because Baelish keeps lurking. The Hound and the BwB are a f*cking great pairing. I'm reserved about whether I think Euron is just cheesy or whether he'll be fun but I like how he riled Jaime up. Sam's part in the Citadel was funny, just seemed fresh (for want of a better word) I think both he and Bran are going to be important in leading us as the audience to learn all the show-canon lore as we go into the final series. 

Next week's preview: WOLFIES!  :panic:

• El Diablo, FrikkenZz, AlienTwo and 1 other like this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:59 PM Edited by Leftist Bastard, 17 July 2017 - 10:00 PM.

Tbh the way I see it's not that the show is far gone from the books but it's simply a purer, more distilled version. Like George could just pull the rug from under everyone and do something completely different with how the books pan out but the likely scenario is that's not the case. the show is just stripping fat. Characters like Stoneheart was never meant to be major player with major, course diverting impact on the story and thus she's substituted, merged and shifted around with something else. Same with a lot of other reductions/cut characters and arc.

Nero
  • Nero

custom grenade pin

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:15 PM Edited by Arthur Fookin Shelby, 17 July 2017 - 10:34 PM.

I don't want to seem like a direct contrarian to Kirsty's above post but the first episode didn't really do it for me.

The dialogue was stunted, the characters seemed more set in explaining what was/has been going on rather than talking about anything profound - for the most part anyway. I get that GoT has a large audience but it didn't feel subtle enough and almost felt like a theatrical narration which to me is lazy writing. 

This was more related to the opening scenes. I'd rather burn 5 Shireens than listen to Jon and Sansa's 1 on 1 dialogue.

Gregor's Sandor's road of redemption is gonna be lit and Sam and Jim Broadbent's character are gonna have great chemistry.

It's a just real shame we didn't get to watch Ed Sheeren get mutilated.

I'll have to rewatch, felt a bit dozy.

• JZFB likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:25 PM

Do you mean Sander?
  • Nero likes this

Nero
  • Nero

custom grenade pin

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:35 PM Edited by Arthur Fookin Shelby, 17 July 2017 - 10:37 PM.

Thanks. Gregor is further away from any possible redemption than he's ever been.

• AlienTwo likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:03 PM

y'all ever wonder who would win in a fight?

• FrikkenZz likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:32 PM

one side has steel swords the other has guns

its kind of obvious

Liquid Snake 245
  • Liquid Snake 245

The man with the same codename as you

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:07 AM

The Ed Sheeran appearance was unnecessary and took away from that scene.  Lannister soliders have long been portrayed as emotionless butchers in the series but here were some soldiers lamenting about missing home, making us feel sympathy and reminding us that even Lannister troops have hearts.

But Sheeran's shoehorned appearance made us, as an audience, ultimately not care and forget.

• Davo the Assassin likes this

JZFB
  • JZFB

I'm the James Bardolph of GTAF smd

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:37 AM Edited by JZFB, 18 July 2017 - 12:43 AM.

I don't really agree with that at all, but then again, I had to google who Ed Sheeran was so..

Edit: Re the dragonglass stuff. Stannis definitely does tell Sam, without a shadow of a doubt, that there is dragonglass on Dragonstone and the way it's phrased makes it seem like this is common knowledge (under it's other name, obsidian).

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:44 AM

I had no clue who he was either, but the point of the scene I think was just that the soldiers are just people fighting for rich dicks. Remember the Stark men Brienne killed? They were total assholes.

Not to bring the books back into the convo, but GRMM made that point many times.
  • JZFB likes this

JZFB
  • JZFB

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:07 AM

The dialogue was stunted, the characters seemed more set in explaining what was/has been going on rather than talking about anything profound - for the most part anyway. I get that GoT has a large audience but it didn't feel subtle enough and almost felt like a theatrical narration which to me is lazy writing. 

This was more related to the opening scenes. I'd rather burn 5 Shireens than listen to Jon and Sansa's 1 on 1 dialogue.

Revisiting this; Sansa in particular is written pretty poorly. They've tried to empower her this and last season in particular (to match the books in a sense) but she's been pretty consistently dumb as rocks, of which this episode is perhaps the biggest example of. Calls Robb stupid, yet suggests doing the dumb thing that led to Robb's death. Liken's Jon to Joffrey then turns around and says he's good at ruling. Continually claims she is smart and should be listened to but literally offers up no reason as to why you would. Not that Jon's part in this was particularly great either; he handles a lot of this stuff much more eloquently and with political nouse in the books. And he could stand to be more receptive to counsel in general but eh.

Cersei wanting an alliance with the Ironborn and then turning Euron down when said alliance is delivered to her gift wrapped is just uh...... utterly moronic.

The Frey Feast did nothing for me personally; it was rather hollow and unsatisfying though David Bradley's performance was great as always and easily one of the best casted roles in the show.

• Nero likes this

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:41 AM Edited by DOOM!, 18 July 2017 - 06:42 AM.

I know of ed sheeran, not a fan, but I've seen the goofy f*cker before and knew who he was when he was on screen. I honestly thought Arya was going to kill all of them miraculously, but that wasn't the case.

I was more curious about the fact that the white walkers apparently have Giants, the one in particular was the one who died blasting through the gates at winterfell during the battle of the bastards (can't remember his name, but eventually Ramsay gets the kill shot on the poor bastard with a arrow through the eye), and somehow doesn't end up getting his body burned to reassure he doesn't come back... not unless I am mistaken and all Giants look a like.

That Guy There
  • That Guy There

I'm the king of the world

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:38 AM Edited by That Guy There, 18 July 2017 - 07:43 AM.

^^ wum pum? Yum yum? I forgot his name but I don't think that's him. I figure since he was fighting with Jon they would have given him some sort of burial or burned him. Might just be another random giant, maybe one that was killed at Hardhome

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:07 AM

Wun wun, in honor of the New York Football Giants #11, Phil Simms.
  • That Guy There likes this

JZFB
  • JZFB

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

Would have to be a vision of Bran's for it to make sense being Wun Wun and not some random other Giant.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

I was thinking about where this story is headed, post season 7, and it occured to me: what if the story of the Long Night is really an ancient greenseer's vision of the far-future? Meaning Jon is the ACTUAL Last Hero, and possible the real and first Azor Ahai. 

Also, means he might be plunging a sword into Dany's chest... thank god she's immune to fire.

• Davo the Assassin and Kaniel Outis like this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:50 PM Edited by The Yokel, 18 July 2017 - 08:12 PM.

I'm so sorry, but I found this amusing in a stupid way, so naturally you must see it. It's not a spoiler it's just a goofy image:

Spoiler

As for Azor Ahai, I like the theory that it's Jaime Lannister. That would be a fun twist.

EDIT: For those who don't know what I'm talking about: https://www.reddit.c...d8d&sh=a0bde447

• JZFB likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:12 PM

The Ed Sheeran appearance was unnecessary and took away from that scene.  Lannister soliders have long been portrayed as emotionless butchers in the series but here were some soldiers lamenting about missing home, making us feel sympathy and reminding us that even Lannister troops have hearts.

But Sheeran's shoehorned appearance made us, as an audience, ultimately not care and forget.

Is Ed Sheeran generally loathed by the internet like JB was some 5 years ago or what? he didn't ruin the scene. He's in effect had the same role as Ian McShane and no one shat on him for his work in the series.

I'm so sorry, but I found this amusing in a stupid way, so naturally you must see it. It's not a spoiler it's just a goofy image:

Spoiler

As for Azor Ahai, I like the theory that it's Jaime Lannister. That would be a fun twist.

EDIT: For those who don't know what I'm talking about: https://www.reddit.c...d8d&sh=a0bde447

I think that's actually very plausible. Other than the whole ''Rhaegar was Azor Ahai'' theory which I love the most and the far fetched possibility of The Hound being Azor Ahai, Jaime's my favorite candidate.

JZFB
  • JZFB

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:00 PM

It's a pretty well put together theory and Jaime's one of my favourite characters (in the books) but I think I prefer a less world-saving manner of redemption for him.

On that topic I've got a feeling the next episode is going to confirm the identity of the PtWP. If Dany's unexpected guest in the episode description ends up being Melisandre and she's singing Dany's praises, it's 100% Jon IMO. 

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

There are a lot of intentional red herrings in the story on purpose but one line that always stood out tome is when Jon says ''this is what a king should look like'' in regards to Jaime.

In the case of Cersei's death Jaime is first in line for the throne. He'd be thrust into the same situation he faced when Aerys was king, but he's not the same person he was back then.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:45 PM Edited by The Yokel, 20 July 2017 - 03:06 PM.

Throughout the entire series Jaime's consistently been the only character willing to make the right choice when it is truly hard. Starting with killing the king that he swore an oath to protect. Jon is a good guy, he's the classic hero and he's one of my favorite characters, but he's not the guy that will make the right choice if that choice isn't honorable. That's what makes Jaime so unique and likable despite his many flaws (like boning his own sister), even if it turns out that he's not Azor Ahai.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:50 PM Edited by Leftist Bastard, 20 July 2017 - 01:51 PM.

To be fair, would you not bone Lena Headey if she was your sister?

Also Jon left the watch on sh*tty technicality and it certainly wasn't the honorable thing to do. Not that I disagree with your assessment by the way, it's an inconsistency that's bugged me pretty hard.

JZFB
  • JZFB

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:57 PM Edited by JZFB, 20 July 2017 - 02:01 PM.

I mean, in the context of the show, Jaime's redemption arc was jettisoned to make him little more than Cersei's stooge (unfortunately), so I guess you can read into that what you will.

Books are another beast entirely because Cersei won't be Queen in any sort of mirrored capacity to the show because of internal consistency (as such Jaime wouldn't be next in line). Don't get me wrong though; Jaime's without a doubt the Valonqar in my opinion and I really hope that circumstances do mirror the Mad King's death, as it would be poetic if nothing else.

:cool: Tangent: Jaime & Cersei are definitely Targs and Tyrion isn't  :cool:

(like boning his own sister)

In fairness, this is only a flaw by our standards. "In-verse" I think it's unfair that they're treated poorly for what was the accepted practice of the Targs and so on.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:06 PM

Also Jon left the watch on sh*tty technicality and it certainly wasn't the honorable thing to do.

I thought that it was perfectly justified. He died, and to make matters worse he was killed by his own men. Who the f*ck would stay after that?

• JZFB likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users