Game of Thrones

1,772 replies to this topic
A J
  • A J

Damned Brotherhood [DAMN]

• Members
  • Wales
  • Best Event 2012 [Gang Wars]

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:36 PM Edited by A J, 17 February 2014 - 10:10 PM.

Topic will contain discussion from the latest aired episodes. Spoilers from the books should be spoiler-tagged and clearly marked.

Any other GTAforum members fans of this new series? Any of you read the books from which this is based?

Share your thoughts....

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

I dig it. I'm happy that Peter Dinklage has gotten a role that is able to show his acting chops.

A J
  • A J

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:24 PM

yeah his role as Tyrion is a real scene stealer, damn that Catelyn Stark for kidnapping him smile.gif

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:51 AM

Just watched episode 6 and then 7 on HBO Go. sh*t's getting good.

I was surprised and saddened to see King Robert die. I was looking forward to more from Addy.

A J
  • A J

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ May 23 2011, 08:51)

I was surprised and saddened to see King Robert die. I was looking forward to more from Addy.

i'm waiting for episode 6 tonight... its an awesome show, well acted. I dont normally dig med-evil fantasy sh*t, but this is great.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:11 AM

Watched the first episode yesterday. As someone who hates fantasy and hasn't managed to sit through LotR yet, I've got to admit that this was pretty damn good. I expected nothing less from HBO. I guess they'll be going light with the magic until they go over the giant ice wall, which I appreciate. The show looks absolutely gorgeous as well, and if you're not watching this in HD you're doing yourself a giant disservice.

I'll probably blow through the rest over the summer. Waiting a week sucks.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

I've heard lots of good things about this show, unfortunately I don't have HBO. I could look for them online, but I really can't be bothered. I'll check it out eventually. icon14.gif

A J
  • A J

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (LithiuM @ May 26 2011, 15:55)
I've heard lots of good things about this show, unfortunately I don't have HBO. I could look for them online, but I really can't be bothered. I'll check it out eventually. icon14.gif

i take it HBO is a pay per view channel in USA?

defintely do thought, its awesome

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ May 23 2011, 00:51)

How did you see that? That hasn't happened yet.... mercie_blink.gif I thought the Viserys scene was done incredibly well. Although that gold melted awfully fast!

I know Joff looks a lot like a weasel, but he was kinda cute in the scene with him ...lying... to Sansa.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ May 23 2011, 10:51)

I watched it too. It's the best episode so far. I definitely didn't see all of that coming in one episode.

A J
  • A J

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ May 26 2011, 17:13)
Just watched episode 6 and then 7 on HBO Go.  sh*t's getting good.

I was surprised and saddened to see King Robert die.  I was looking forward to more from Addy.

How did you see that? That hasn't happened yet.... mercie_blink.gif I thought the Viserys scene was done incredibly well. Although that gold melted awfully fast!

I know Joff looks a lot like a weasel, but he was kinda cute in the scene with him ...lying... to Sansa.

they broadcasted episode 7 early in the states, but through the HBO online service, like BBCi player but subscription....

I could watch it online now, but then I'd face two weeks with out a new episode, hope that guy who looks like prince charming from shrek gets his ass whooped.

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Hustle Bones
  • None

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ May 26 2011, 21:47)
hope that guy who looks like prince charming from shrek gets his ass whooped.

Holy sh*t! How did I not see that!?

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:21 AM Edited by darthYENIK, 27 May 2011 - 07:28 AM.

QUOTE (Otter @ May 26 2011, 10:13)

I was surprised and saddened to see King Robert die.  I was looking forward to more from Addy.

It's on HBOgo. There is a mobile app, and a website. Not sure if it's available up north. It's actually pretty damn cool. You can watch every episode of pretty much every HBO show of the past decade. Including the Sopranos, Band of Brothers, and True Blood. On top of this they have movies and those late night movies you don't want your mother to see.

As for missing two weeks. I watched episode 7 on my phone, and still wish to watch it on a big HD TV.

A J
  • A J

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ May 27 2011, 07:21)

It's on HBOgo. There is a mobile app, and a website. Not sure if it's available up north. It's actually pretty damn cool. You can watch every episode of pretty much every HBO show of the past decade. Including the Sopranos, Band of Brothers, and True Blood. On top of this they have movies and those late night movies you don't want your mother to see.

As for missing two weeks. I watched episode 7 on my phone, and still wish to watch it on a big HD TV.

really need a HD tv... confused.gif got to get one this summer, any suggestions ? sorry a little off topic....

any one read the books here?

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:36 AM

Yep, I read the books after the 4th episode.

QUOTE (Pandazoot @ May 27 2011, 07:42)
hope that guy who looks like prince charming from  shrek gets his ass whooped.

user posted image

Bahaha.

A J
  • A J

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

think im going to do the same, is it an easy read? I m not much of a reader....

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

No idea, I can't judge things like that. All I know is that I went through them pretty quickly, but that's because I wanted to know what happened next..

Oh, and a lot of people die. A lot.

JayC
  • JayC

WWJCD

• Feroci

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

It's good that the fat guy from the Tesco adverts ditched that annoying whore of a wife, travelled through time, and became King.

This show is awesome though and I'm gutted I read that spoiler tag.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

Lord Protector

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:03 PM Edited by Moonshield, 27 May 2011 - 01:12 PM.

QUOTE (jelly @ May 27 2011, 05:36)
Yep, I read the books after the 4th episode.

QUOTE (Pandazoot @ May 27 2011, 07:42)
hope that guy who looks like prince charming from  shrek gets his ass whooped.

user posted image

Bahaha.

I don't know. He looks more like a younger, more British Dennis Leary.

Anyway, this show's pretty great, although I don't think I can really like any of the characters save for Stark himself, or John Snow (who we haven't seen much of recently). Maybe even Baelish with this snarky ass. I'm just glad that that entitled little sh*t of a Targaryan got what he deserved in the best way possible.

A J
  • A J

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

i like the swords man, who is teaching the girl how to fight, reminds of Ignacio Montoya cant remember his name, but from that movie...

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Hustle Bones
  • None

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:25 PM

The show is full of characters with a hidden agenda and that's what I love about them. There was that really great scene a couple episodes ago where Littlefinger and the Varys were talking to each other and it was like they were having a competition to see who could be the most slimiest character. The only character I find hard to like is Sansa. That's not a criticism of the actress, it's got to be hard to make a whiny teenager likeable.

Azazel
  • Azazel

Moderating

• None
  • Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

I watched the first episode, having heard people compare it to Lord of the Rings and what not, so I may have been expecting something different. It wasn't what I expected, at least. I found it dull. The whole setting, the atmosphere and the characters but a few struck me plainly as dull. I loved the intro with the 'walkers' and all, that was rather thrilling.

Few issues. In this first episode, I saw eight or nine sets of tits, three sex scenes, some pubes, a Dwarf getting rubbed, there was lots of loud moaning every other scene, and it all just felt very... randy. Don't get me wrong, I'm a heterosexual guy in my best age and I love tits, but it was a bit much when expecting Hobbits and wizards.

Oh, and then there's the dialogue. I don't know if this is set in the olden days, or in more of a parallel universe, which would allow for a bit more free interpretation, but it seems very basic, and they tend to speak what sounds like a modern tongue, full of "won'ts", "don'ts" as opposed to "will nots", "do nots". They flung "f*cks" around like there was no tomorrow, as well. Just seems off.

Maybe I'm just being silly.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

Well I guess it's because you were misled. It's definitely not Lord of the Rings, it's not meant to be either.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:11 PM Edited by Otter, 27 May 2011 - 04:17 PM.

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ May 27 2011, 02:59)
think im going to do the same, is it an easy read? I m not much of a reader....

If you can find the audio books (at least the first three, and only the versions read by Roy Dotrice) OMG you'll love it!!!! He does the voices like SO well and stuff.

I like a lot of the characters! Ned, Sansa, Tyrion, Jon Snow (hawt), Danyries, Robb, Bran... i mean they're all 'real' people so they all have dark sides and faults but thats what makes it fun.

OMG i was pissed not to see the dire wolves in the scene where Robb rescued Bran! c'mon!!!

book spoilers: Robb and his wolf become really close through diff battles. Another thing Jaime kinda redeems himself and i hope they don't stray too far from how that goes down.... they've been pretty true so far but for some reason dismemberment doesn't play well off of test audiences... ha..

edit - charlie - it's a gritty world, there's an aristocracy and pomposity with dudes like baelish and varyies and the rest of the lords and ladies but id bet my left tit that knights never spoke the King's. I like the sex obvs but there have been at least two or three scenes so far that seem to be added purely for sexiness. I think youe expectation are what f*cked it up for you so far - keep with it, its awesome

A J
  • A J

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ May 27 2011, 16:11)
Jon Snow (hawt), Danyries, Robb, Bran... i mean they're all 'real' people so they all have dark sides and faults but thats what makes it fun.

OMG i was pissed not to see the dire wolves in the scene where Robb rescued Bran! c'mon!!!

book spoilers: Robb and his wolf become really close through diff battles.  Another thing Jaime kinda redeems himself and i hope they don't stray too far from how that goes down.... they've been pretty true so far but for some reason dismemberment doesn't play well off of test audiences... ha..

[/color]

Thanks for that reccomendation, will definitely be on the look out for that icon14.gif

I too wished we could see more of the direwolves, i love dogs...
i read that a lot of people, i mean stupid softies were traumatised when ned had to kill lady

RR Martin mentioned it in his blog http://grrm.livejour...com/216015.html

It has come to my attention that a number of television viewers (mostly those who had not read my books and did not know what was coming)were shocked and upset by what befell Sansa's direwolf Lady at the end of the second episode of HBO's GAME OF THRONES.

Good. I mean, that was kind of the point.

But some people were reportedly so shocked and upset that they wrote angry blogs about it, and even declared that they would not continue watching the show.

Not so good. Obviously, I'm sorry to hear that.

I don't know if any of those people are reading my Not A Blog. But in case they are, perhaps it will make you feel a little better to know that Zunni, the Northern Inuit who played Lady, is alive and well, and has been adopted by Sophie Turner, the lovely young actress who plays Sansa in the show. We didn't really kill her.

(Rhodri Hosking, the young actor who played the butcher's boy Mycah, was not actually killed either, though oddly, no one seems quite so upset about him).

Toke
  • Toke

Gonna cover you in sh*t like a ton of pigeons

• Angels of Death MC
  • NATO
  • Contribution Award [Gangs]

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

I've read the entire series and am really giddy about the fourth book, soon to hit store shelves btw.

The tv series thus far has stuck to the books like no other book-->tv/movie I've ever seen which is truly a nice change of pace.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ May 27 2011, 01:37)
QUOTE (darthYENIK @ May 27 2011, 07:21)

really need a HD tv... confused.gif got to get one this summer, any suggestions ? sorry a little off topic....

any one read the books here?

Higher contrast ratios are good and make sure it can handle 1080p. To me the rest is preference.

As for the sexuality, and language. That first episode is probably the most sexually charged, after that there is maybe one sex scene, at best per episode. The language, especially the word "f*ck", is shocking at first, but you get used to it.

A J
  • A J

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

I appreciate all the sex scenes to be honest, not too keen on the homo one but whatever floats your boat....

I forget a lot of americans dont like hearing curse words smile.gif , its a good thing.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

It's not that I don't like hearing curse words, it's just a bit weird to hear them said by the cast of a fantasy TV show. We're used to all of our f*cking and potty mouth in more modern settings.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

While the language of medieval times was different from our own, conversations didn't sound like Shakespeare plays. Bantering, swearing and drunkenness has always been around, even if one can't picture Legolas and Aragorn in those situations. tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users