Photo

ENB problem with nvidia optimus d3d9.dll

18 replies to this topic
frankvalle
  • frankvalle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:21 AM

Hi, I have a laptop with nvidia optimus and a gt420m. The graphic card is awesome and optimus activates normally in gta iv and with other mods installed like Visual iv, however after I install ENB series, (any version of it) the nvidia GPU does not trigger anymore and the game starts with intel hd graphics, which has 59mb of ram and of course can't run the game properly. I tried launching the game without the d3d9.dll file and it runs with the nvidia GPU, but I see no visual change. I have reason to believe the d3d9.dll as it is an executable file it is running with the integrated graphics. I was hoping someone expert could help me and all the optimus users by checking out the d3d9.dll file and suggesting a solution or something. Please help, there is a lot of people with Optimus that can run th game maxed (I do) and would like to give a try to the ENB series and it simply does not work. Thanks.

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:27 PM

If you run the game without the .dll file ENB is not active at all. You canīt use the mod without it.
Maybe your GFX card isnīt supported at all by this mod. Use always the latest drivers.

I canīt help you more cause Iīve never heard about such an error and Iīm no pro.

You should also try to run an ENB version where AA is deactivated. Maybe this is what your GFX card canīt work with.

Maybe you can find more help here: http://www.gtaforums...pic=417918&st=0

frankvalle
  • frankvalle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (NaidRaida @ May 17 2011, 21:27)
If you run the game without the .dll file ENB is not active at all. You canīt use the mod without it.
Maybe your GFX card isnīt supported at all by this mod. Use always the latest drivers.

I canīt help you more cause Iīve never heard about such an error and Iīm no pro.

You should also try to run an ENB version where AA is deactivated. Maybe this is what your GFX card canīt work with.

Maybe you can find more help here: http://www.gtaforums...pic=417918&st=0

Hey, thanks for the help, my GPU s a gt420m so its pretty new and supports aa indeed. Thank you anyway for the help and the link, I hope I'll find someone that will help me.

WhiteGoblin
  • WhiteGoblin

I am one with the net

• Members

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:20 PM Edited by WhiteGoblin, 18 May 2011 - 04:34 PM.

If you go to your control panel (accessible via the start button) and/or right click on a blank spot on your desktop (on the menu that pops up) you should be able to get to a program called "NVIDIA Control Panel" which helps control how your graphics card works. On the left you'll see a panel with options you can click that will then load in the right panel, towards the top-left there should be a tab called "3D Settings", if you expand that out (click the plus sign) you'll see new options including; "Manage 3D Settings". If you click this on the right side you'll see a new screen pop up that should have a few tabs of it's own, primary: "Global Settings" and "Program Settings". I'm not entirely sure but I believe you might want to look into the "Program Settings" tab where you can manually select executables and change how your card works specifically with them. There is probably an option here you can change to make sure it only loads off your GT420m instead of your integrated Intel chipset. You'll notice a number of other options inside the control panel as well that you might want to look into as they can pretty heavily influence performance depending on what you might have selected. Good luck I hope this helps fix your problem! icon14.gif

I agree with NaidRaida about always using the latest drivers possible as it's very important for a number of reasons. You should be able to find the latest releases (stable and beta) here; http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us Though I'm speculating if you can't find anything else in there specifically related to fix your problem, you might want to check out some of the settings like this: http://nvidia.custhe...hp?p_faqid=2441

'Goblin

frankvalle
  • frankvalle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (WhiteGoblin @ May 18 2011, 16:20)
If you go to your control panel (accessible via the start button) and/or right click on a blank spot on your desktop (on the menu that pops up) you should be able to get to a program called "NVIDIA Control Panel" which helps control how your graphics card works. On the left you'll see a panel with options you can click that will then load in the right panel, towards the top-left there should be a tab called "3D Settings", if you expand that out (click the plus sign) you'll see new options including; "Manage 3D Settings". If you click this on the right side you'll see a new screen pop up that should have a few tabs of it's own, primary: "Global Settings" and "Program Settings". I'm not entirely sure but I believe you might want to look into the "Program Settings" tab where you can manually select executables and change how your card works specifically with them. There is probably an option here you can change to make sure it only loads off your GT420m instead of your integrated Intel chipset. You'll notice a number of other options inside the control panel as well that you might want to look into as they can pretty heavily influence performance depending on what you might have selected. Good luck I hope this helps fix your problem! icon14.gif

I agree with NaidRaida about always using the latest drivers possible as it's very important for a number of reasons. You should be able to find the latest releases (stable and beta) here; http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us Though I'm speculating if you can't find anything else in there specifically related to fix your problem, you might want to check out some of the settings like this: http://nvidia.custhe...hp?p_faqid=2441

'Goblin

Hey, thank you very much for your feedback. I am aware indeed of the settings for application in the control panel, and that is how I've managed to run gta iv with the nvidia gpu so far (by adding the lauchgta.exe file in the nvidia control panel and set the gt420m as default GPU, however the strange thing is that when I install the enb mod the control panel settings are still the same but the itel onboard graphics run the game rather than my nvidia gpu. I believe it might be a problem with the d3d9.dll file that ENB adds, and is an executable file (.dll) but however not one you can set which gpu to use with. So I believe the script in the d3d9.dll file is the one forcing the intel hd to start rather than the nvidia gpu. Anyway I appreciate the help. It would be awesome if somebody with programming experience could help me by checking out the script and seeing if the problem is there. Anyway I would also like to know if other people with optimus are having the same problem or is just me.

WhiteGoblin
  • WhiteGoblin

I am one with the net

• Members

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:13 PM Edited by WhiteGoblin, 18 May 2011 - 05:23 PM.

Bummer, well I'm sorry to hear that didn't help out. confused.gif I only have a 360M but have noticed before in the past the "Prefer Maximum Performance" verse "Adaptive" option had helped out in a very similar situation. Best of luck fine sir, I hope you find a solution soon! icon14.gif

Edit: Dyslexia strikes at the funniest of moments.

frankvalle
  • frankvalle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:02 AM

I followed the suggestion some of the people here have given me and renamed the d3d9.dll file to d3d9_1.dll and wrote d3d9_1.dll in the enbsettings.ini Proxylibrary string. The game finally starts with the Nvidia GPU and not with the intel integrated graphics, however there is no ENBseries label at the start of the game neither I see any huge change in the graphics, plus the shift f12 does not do anything. So I should assume the mod is not working then. However id I keep the d3d9.dll file and write it down in the proxylibray string as it is the game doesn't even start. Can someone help me out please, seems like Im close to make this work.

Ninfo
  • Ninfo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:26 AM

Hi mate

I'm in the same situation..

also have laptop with optimus but with 540M videocard

without any mods or enbs (d3dx9.dll) the game works just fine on max settings
but when trying enbs the game starts with intel HD 3000 graphics, the integrated ones with the cpu (2630QM i7)
so it runs like sh!t..

ive tryed updating my drivers, disabling the intel HD graphics, playing with the nvidia control panel but nothing seems to work

i guess thats because of the modders that didint fit it to work with the optimus tech so thats why the game uses intels graphics

i think we need to edit somehow the d3dx9.dll file to work with nvidias card

but im not an expert to do those things..

im sure there are alot of more people in the same stuck situation but ive couldnt find any solution on the net
onestly there are'nt much discussions about this problem even on the nvidia forums.. i guess people are not talking but just waiting for someone to fix it somehow..

unfortunately i have to say, keep waiting.. :\

ysti92
  • ysti92

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

Hi there.

I have exactly the same problem. I have Gt 540m too but when I installed the ENB the game starts with the intel graphics. confused.gif

omid_pcworld
  • omid_pcworld

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE (Ninfo @ Saturday, Aug 6 2011, 11:26)
Hi mate

I'm in the same situation..

also have laptop with optimus but with 540M videocard

without any mods or enbs (d3dx9.dll) the game works just fine on max settings
but when trying enbs the game starts with intel HD 3000 graphics, the integrated ones with the cpu (2630QM i7)
so it runs like sh!t..

ive tryed updating my drivers, disabling the intel HD graphics, playing with the nvidia control panel but nothing seems to work

i guess thats because of the modders that didint fit it to work with the optimus tech so thats why the game uses intels graphics

i think we need to edit somehow the d3dx9.dll file to work with nvidias card

but im not an expert to do those things..

im sure there are alot of more people in the same stuck situation but ive couldnt find any solution on the net
onestly there are'nt much discussions about this problem even on the nvidia forums.. i guess people are not talking but just waiting for someone to fix it somehow..

unfortunately i have to say, keep waiting.. :\

This Mod is for those Laptops using Nvidia Optimus Featured Video Cards to run ENB Series with the hight powered nvidia VGA

1.Make a shortcut of LaunchGTAIV.exe and move it to your desktop.

2.Right click on the shortcut and click "properties"

3.Then add this to the "target" : "C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -norestrictions -nomemrestrict -availablevidmem 16 -percentvidmem 100

I hope you enjoy it !

please share (with my name as a thank you) it with the others to let them play

By Omid.G

e-mail: [email protected]

Loratadin
  • Loratadin

wooly thoughts

• Members

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:11 AM Edited by Loratadin, 15 September 2011 - 02:57 AM.

@omid_pcworld
This start parameters do not realy solve the problem.

I have a 540m, so also Optimus and as soon as I use an ENB Set (l3evo or iceenchancer) the game is only using the intel graphics and not the GPU.

Benchmark with "blank" GTA 1.0.0.4 at 1280x720: 46FPS
Benchmark with GTA 1.0.0.4 + ENB : 8 (eight!)

Maybe one of the ENB professionals have an idea how to solve this?

[edit]
Okay tried also with other ENB dll files. Always the same.

So I have to agree with Ninfo.
I think the only one who would maybe be able to fix this would be Boris V. I do not think that Intel or Nvidia would do anything here.

Loratadin
  • Loratadin

wooly thoughts

• Members

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:14 PM

Reply from Nvidia:
Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care, Unfortunately if it is the mod you are trying to install and play that is breaking the function of the Optimus switchable graphics, but works fine without the player made mod there is not much we can do about that, as there are dozens if not hundreds of player made modes for GTA which might degrade the functionality of the base game released by Rockstar. Best bet would be to not use the mod the laptop since it changes necessary game files.

Jxxx
NVCC

Unity
  • Unity

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

up! same problem GT 540M!

dsanugraha
  • dsanugraha

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:34 AM

waiting for a solution. I hope Boris Vorontsov can find a solution for this problem.

Unity
  • Unity

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

NOT possible to work....
I have send a e-mail to Boris..
He told me : I cant fix this problem because i need to fint a laptop with this problem.
So we need to wait for a fix....

Sorry to all

sama92
  • sama92

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

I think i have discovered a temp fix for this issue, if you plug your optimus laptop into an external display it should immediately use the nvidia card so the nvidia card should be used with a enb mod. I have yet to try this!

sama92
  • sama92

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

I can confirm this works, but its not that ideal for laptops as the fps hit isnt worth the visuals, icenhancer 1.25 doesnt look that good tbh. Gionights settings look better however i think it looks a bit to artificial. Probably not set up right for me but the fps hit isnt worth it. Unless you have a screen dedicated for your laptop, its not worth the hassle to keep plugging it in everytime you want to use enb. And tbh, i wouldnt recommend it unless you have a gtx 580m. Sli would be best, gionights got like 20fps max on highest game settings on my 3gb gt 555m. With editing enb settings and game settings and maybe a overclock, i could hit 30fps + but untill enb works with optimus i dont see the point in trying.

On another note, gta 4 looked a lot better at 1360x768p on my sony bravia than it did at 1600x900p on my laptop screen!

BorisVorontsov
  • BorisVorontsov

Mahou Shoujo

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Released update to version 0.079 SORA, now it have ENBInjector to run on Optimus.
http://enbdev.com

Bozkurt Bozqurd 1907
  • Bozkurt Bozqurd 1907

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (BorisVorontsov @ Monday, Feb 20 2012, 20:22)
Released update to version 0.079 SORA, now it have ENBInjector to run on Optimus.
http://enbdev.com

Does it also work with game version 1.0.7.0?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users