GTAIII and Windows 7

2 replies to this topic
JustRob
  • JustRob

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:56 AM

Okay, so here's the story.

I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I just did a clean install of Windows so GTAIII should work without a hitch. But it doesn't.

See, it works fine at first. But as soon as I set the resolution higher, bam. The game minimizes to the desktop and I can't get it back on the screen. From that point on every time I start GTAIII it immediately minimizes forcing me to close it. If I delete the GTA3 settings file, the game works again after waiting for 10 minutes or so. But as soon as I change the resolution, it starts all over again.

Now, I upgraded to Windows 7 from Windows XP because I thought this OS was so great and it should be able to handle my older GTA's easily. I don't wanna play in 640x480 because that looks horrible.

How do I make GTAIII work on Windows 7?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:51 AM

First, Is this the Retail(CD) version OR a Downloaded version? If downloaded, from where? If Retail, Is this the Original CD OR a Copy of the CD? Any No-CD Cracks? Any mods/Trainers?

Next, Please post the REQUIRED information from the Pinned Troubleshooting topic, as Posted by Justin(A Moderator) here:
Before you post a topic, please read the pinned bug lists/fixes. It is likely that you're not the first person to encounter a problem, and we may have found a solution already. In addition to these pinned topics, please utilize the forum search engine. adamcs has produced an extremely helpful guide which explains the finer points of successful searching, accessible here.

If all of the above is no help, you'll need to post a new topic. Please provide useful topic titles. "Help" or "problem" give us no insight into the problem - every topic in the Troubleshooting forum will no doubt entail a problem seeking help!

To get the most amount of help for your problem, we need as many details as we can get about your system's specs. Therefore it is highly suggested (read: demanded) that you provide:
What platform: PC, PS2, or X-Box
What version number of GTA: III
What CPU and its speed
How much RAM, also what kind (DDR, SDRAM) and speed
What video card AND VRAM AND Driver version
Which version of Windows (and any service packs)
Which DirectX version and Driver version
What sound card and Driver version
History: Is this your first install? Did it work once before? Anything that is relevant.
Screenshots, if applicable. This is especially necessary with display issues which can be explained far easier by use of visual aids.
Above all else, a detailed description of your problem. Give as much information as possible! Keep it relevant, though. We don't need a fifty-page printout from some diagnosis program. Usually the above prompts will suffice.

If you don't know the more detailed specs of your system, and the system control panel is of little help for most of these, download and use Everest Free Edition 2.20 or Fresh Diagnose. Be sure to extract only the relevant information from these programs - again, lengthy printouts are meaningless and tedious to rifle through.

Do not ask questions relating to modding in any way or form - we have an entire editing subforum to house any such inquiries.

Also, ARE ALL your drivers up to date for your Video card, Sound card, DX, etc.? Do you have the latest SP for Windows 7, which is SP1? Also, remember, you can only change the Resolution BEFORE starting a new game/loading a save OR the game WILL crash. More than likely the reason the game crashes when you try ti change the resolution, is because your Video card and/or monitor does not support the higher resolutions.

JustRob
  • JustRob

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

Hmmm well I updated to SP1 and it does seem to be working good now. I always postponed those updates, guess I should have done them anyways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users