Photo

New PC Freezes after loading windows

8 replies to this topic
konyo
  • konyo

AddOn Maker

• Members

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:40 AM

Hi all. I've had my PC upgraded yesterday and I got home, plugged it all in, powered it up and it loads into windows and then onto desktop but it then freezes. I'm unable to use the mouse or keyboard either. So I have to hold the power button to power it down. I've also booted it from the windows disk and told it to do a disk check, that all comes up fine. But as soon as it loads onto desktop again it freezes.?

Any ideas why my new PC is doing this?
Also the guy in the shop was testing it and he said it was running fine?

Thanks in advance

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:05 PM

Boot into SafeMode and see what happens.
What upgrade(s) did you do?

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

Unplug all devices including network and just connect your monitor, keyboard, power, and mouse.
Then check if the system will freeze, if not, shutdown and plug in a device and see if that will cause it to freeze.
Plug one device at a time and repeat.

AmyJones
  • AmyJones

ADVIL CHAMPION

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:58 PM

Use this as a last resort. Have the thermal pasting checked on your CPU. This is because I know over-pasting can cause this.

konyo
  • konyo

AddOn Maker

• Members

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:53 PM

Had a new processor, graphic card, ram & motherboard
Will try booting it up in safe mode and see what's happens.
Guy in shop said it was working fine, so will also try those last to steps aswell smile.gif

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:02 AM

So you replaced all of that and use the same OS that was installed before or installed with a fresh install of the OS?

konyo
  • konyo

AddOn Maker

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:18 AM Edited by konyo, 08 May 2011 - 08:57 AM.

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ May 8 2011, 06:02)
So you replaced all of that and use the same OS that was installed before or installed with a fresh install of the OS?

Same OS as before, will be updating to windows 7 after it stops freezing

Edit: it works fine in safe mode, then restarted and still freezes but I'm able to move the mouse. So it's going back ill let them sort it lol

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

I think the problem is the OS itself.
Which OS is it? I'm kind of guessing Vista since it was flaky to start with but XP wouldn't surprise me either.
If at all possible I would suggest using a second HDD to install the new OS on and turn the drive you have now into a slave so you can get stuff off of it. Other wise take the drive out, and some out how another get it connected to another PC as a slave or external drive so you can copy your stuff off.
It might be possible, but don't quote me, to boot into SafeMode and then use your DVD burner to copy stuff off.

konyo
  • konyo

AddOn Maker

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:08 PM Edited by konyo, 31 May 2011 - 11:18 AM.

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ May 8 2011, 15:02)
I think the problem is the OS itself.
Which OS is it? I'm kind of guessing Vista since it was flaky to start with but XP wouldn't surprise me either.
If at all possible I would suggest using a second HDD to install the new OS on and turn the drive you have now into a slave so you can get stuff off of it. Other wise take the drive out, and some out how another get it connected to another PC as a slave or external drive so you can copy your stuff off.
It might be possible, but don't quote me, to boot into SafeMode and then use your DVD burner to copy stuff off.

Nah the OS is Windows XP.. Will see what the shop say they can do, hopefully they should fix it as it's done by them on Thursday. Ill try launching in safe mode again and do a system restore. If not then I will try getting another HDD for it and use that one. Might just format the drive as I already got all the most important stuff off it before it got sent off for an upgrade. So no loss there.
But thanks for the help, will let you know what happens with it smile.gif

EDIT : It was my Kaspersky Anti Virus blocking the new software installed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users