• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic
fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:42 AM

As someone who has NOT been banned but has had... a few... warnings... I have a couple of questions and ideas about being busted. And since a good portion of suggestion or network support topics are about being busted, I guess other people could use this topic as well. whatsthat.gif

Questions:
1. When you are busted, what happens when you log in?
2. Is it possible to change your signature when you're banned? I saw somebody once who was busted and had a link saying "why I got banned." Did they change it in anticipation of being banned?
3. What's the difference between a temp-ban and a full-out BUSTED! ban, in terms of what you can and can't do?
4. When does a temp-ban expire? Does it depend on the severity of the offense?

Suggestions:
1. Last stand- banned members get a day after when they first try to log back in, during which they can try to redeem themselves or explain/ask why they were banned. They could only post in "network support" during this period.
2. A "busted" wall, with a list of the more famous (non-bot, at least 1 post) busted people and why it happened.
3. The busted people, if they can't already, could add to their profile why they were banned.

Of course, those suggestions would probably have to wait until V2. Then again, with all these pranks hinting at V2 upcoming, maybe now is the best time, eh?
  • gnad.1992 likes this

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:08 AM

People are really interested in banned members all of a sudden.

Personally, I don't think any of them are good ideas. It seems like an awful lot of effort for people who aren't even here anymore.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (fireguy109 @ May 2 2011, 06:12)

They get a message which clearly states that they have been banned and cannot use the forums anymore.

2. Is it possible to change your signature when you're banned? I saw somebody once who was busted and had a link saying "why I got banned." Did they change it in anticipation of being banned?

He probably changed it when he was temp banned which was then upgraded to a full ban later. AFAIK, you don't have access to user controls once you're banned.

3. What's the difference between a temp-ban and a full-out BUSTED! ban, in terms of what you can and can't do?

I believe you're allowed access to user controls and can send/receive PMs when you're temp banned. A full ban means you can't do any of those things.

It can range from a few hours to several days/months. It'll expire when it's set to expire.

1. Last stand- banned members get a day after when they first try to log back in, during which they can try to redeem themselves or explain/ask why they were banned. They could only post in "network support" during this period.

Why? The reason for their banning is clearly mentioned in their log and is also displayed when they try to log in. If they want to redeem themselves, it's a good idea to wait a considerable amount of time before creating a new account and ask to be forgiven.

2. A "busted" wall, with a list of the more famous (non-bot, at least 1 post) busted people and why it happened.

Not necessary. The reason for banning (in most cases) is between the user and the staff. We don't need to know about it. If you want to find out why a particular user was banned, you can ask one of the mods and they'll divulge it to you if they feel it's alright to do so.

3. The busted people, if they can't already, could add to their profile why they were banned.

Same as above.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:23 AM

I do believe moderators (or admins at least) can edit signatures, so that's where having a reason displayed may come from.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (Craig @ May 1 2011, 23:08)
Personally, I don't think any of them are good ideas. It seems like an awful lot of effort for people who aren't even here anymore.

This.

They are banned for a reason, why waste time/resources on them?

Josh
  • Josh

In language which street traders understand

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (fireguy109 @ May 2 2011, 01:42)
Questions:

1. You get a message explaining why you are busted. You can't access the forums unless you clear your cookies because otherwise this message gets in the way.

2. The moderator who banned the user in question may have edited the user's signature post banning, in order to clear up any questions about why the user was banned.

3. Temp Bans eventually expire. When you are on a temp you can still edit your posts, use the PM system and change your account options, as Girish said.

4. Yes it does. Some temporary bans never expire. Others can be for 12 hours, and I think that one member here had a 3 month temp once.

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

Okay, thanks guys. One of the mods said the other day that he's had people request temp-bans during exams so they weren't temped to log in. Was curious about how long they were for, though.

As for my suggestions, I think they were more geared to the community knowing why the user was banned, but I guess I see why it would be bad in some cases to say so.

Josh
  • Josh

In language which street traders understand

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:34 PM Edited by Josh, 02 May 2011 - 07:44 PM.

QUOTE (fireguy109 @ May 2 2011, 20:01)
Okay, thanks guys. One of the mods said the other day that he's had people request temp-bans during exams so they weren't temped to log in. Was curious about how long they were for, though.

In that case they last for as long as the user in question specifies. Or they can be indefinite, and the user can then PM the moderator who banned them when their exams have finished.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

Any chance in some restrictions been made on the Busted! group? Such as not been able to view the forums, view signatures etc?

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:03 AM

I have a question, once you're banned you can NEVER access the forums again?

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (blitz. @ May 3 2011, 06:33)
I have a question, once you're banned you can NEVER access the forums again?

You can read the forums as a guest, unless you're IP-banned.

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:29 AM

DAYYUUUMM that's terrible. I'll try my best not to get banned wink.gif

DinoKid
  • DinoKid

it's gonna blow your motherfuсking mind!

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (girishb @ May 3 2011, 01:47)
unless you're IP-banned.

That's impossible. If you get banned, you just have to delete the browser history and you are back on track. Then you can even create a new account to get the moderators pissed off. Moderators don't scare me.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (DinoKid @ May 6 2011, 22:57)
unless you're IP-banned.

That's impossible. If you get banned, you just have to delete the browser history and you are back on track. Then you can even create a new account to get the moderators pissed off. Moderators don't scare me.

You've got alot to learn regarding the internet mate, deleting browser history does nothing for an IP ban, they are permanent.

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Relevant jorts intensify.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (DinoKid @ May 6 2011, 16:57)
unless you're IP-banned.

Well that didn't work out the way you had hoped!

DinoKid..
  • DinoKid..

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:25 PM Edited by DinoKid.., 06 May 2011 - 10:29 PM.

QUOTE (Gaysta Killa)
You've got alot to learn regarding the internet mate, deleting browser history does nothing for an IP ban, they are permanent. PatrickW is a cocksucking chump.

As you can see, I'm still here. You can't IP ban, it's impossible. U mad? U jelly beans?

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

Oi idiot get this through your skull, if we IP banned you, you wouldn't be here.

Very grown up mate, editing quotes...

Claude Speed.
  • Claude Speed.

I'm still around...

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:23 AM

So you can request a temporary ban if you can't stay away from the forums when you want to? Does that add anything to your member log?

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (Claude Speed. @ May 7 2011, 13:53)
So you can request a temporary ban if you can't stay away from the forums when you want to? Does that add anything to your member log?

Yep. If I'm not wrong, the mods cannot temp ban you without adding a reason to your member log.

Claude Speed.
  • Claude Speed.

I'm still around...

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

I guess that's fine for as long as it's not a negative entry. I already have one and I don't want another. Can I request a temporary ban until a certain date?

Ottae
  • Ottae

(/'ɒteɪ/)

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (Claude Speed. @ May 7 2011, 10:28)
I guess that's fine for as long as it's not a negative entry. I already have one and I don't want another. Can I request a temporary ban until a certain date?

Yup

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (Claude Speed. @ May 7 2011, 10:28)

It will appear as negative on your warn log but the moderators won't consider it negative because it was requested by you.

okei
  • okei

Dressed to kill like I'm Gianni Versace

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:20 AM

don't know why you would want a temporary ban to stay away from the forum... maybe just avoid visiting?

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (okei @ May 8 2011, 15:50)
don't know why you would want a temporary ban to stay away from the forum... maybe just avoid visiting?

You have no idea how hard it is for some people to resist the temptation to log in here. Minutes turn into hours without you even knowing it!

Kirst
  • Kirst

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:31 AM

Just edit your host file to bounce yourself in an endless loop to Google tounge.gif

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (girishb @ May 8 2011, 05:23)
QUOTE (okei @ May 8 2011, 15:50)

You have no idea how hard it is for some people to resist the temptation to log in here. Minutes turn into hours without you even knowing it!

'Tis true. I should be doing Physics homework. biggrin.gif

Kyle.
  • Kyle.

Hello everyone! Name name is Kyle.

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:17 AM

But requesting to be banned for a temp period of time and the Moderator(s) do it is abusing....right...? confused.gif

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE (ItalianStalion @ May 9 2011, 22:17)
But requesting to be banned for a temp period of time and the Moderator(s) do it is abusing....right...? confused.gif

Moderators have the ability to temporarily ban people, and these people want to be temporarily banned for specific reasons, so no, that's not power abuse.

Sam998
  • Sam998

Banned

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:37 AM

Since this topic seems to be about BUSTED! related questions/suggestions/whatever I would like to post mine instead of making a new thread for it...I hope that's okay...

If someone gets a temp ban or a warning could it be "expunged" from their "record" (member log)? Also do Mods/Admins have to take into consideration previous member log items, including commendations for example?

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:21 AM

Everything that goes in your member log is permanent and is never removed. Even if you switch accounts, the mods make a note about your previous account(s), so stuff from your previous account(s) is taken into consideration while taking an action on your new account.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users