grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012
    Topic of the Year 2011 "GTA V Screenshot Fun"

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:41 PM Edited by grope_4_that_date, 03 November 2011 - 01:44 PM.

Designing the Map for Los Angeles
A Concept for What to Expect

user posted image

Introduction:

This thread was created a long time ago, but it needs to be revisited. We definitely can organize a pretty accurate depiction of what Los Santos is going to look like. Liberty City was geographically accurate, so I expect GTA5 to be the same. It will be easy. We just have to do it in an organized fashion.

We have the trailer, why not do some research? I did research and created a pretty general concept map, but it needs to be redrawn and tweeked. Rockstar confirmed a lot of locations, so why not make a list? From the locations we find, we can pretty much determine the boundaries of the city.

I promise you we'll have a fairly accurate map by the time GTA5 is released. However I need your help. We can research Los Santos just like Rockstar did. So get to work!

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:43 PM Edited by grope_4_that_date, 30 November 2011 - 10:36 PM.

MAP SO FAR
Here's the general outline of the map.

user posted image

user posted image

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

Game Dev, Graphics Artist

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

Sounds like something interesting to discuss, I can see them doing something similar to Red Dead, but then again if they include aviation of some sort that may be an issue, unless perhaps they had some sort of heat seeking missile upon crossing borders or something. BTW I love that your avatar, decodes into Vice City wink.gif

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:29 PM Edited by grope_4_that_date, 02 November 2011 - 10:44 PM.

How would they make borders and separate the map?

HipHopHeadSeb
  • HipHopHeadSeb

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:33 PM

that looks sick, shame it cant have more country side though

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (HipHopHeadSeb @ Apr 30 2011, 21:33)
that looks sick, shame it cant have more country side though

The California Hills Park is sort of countryside-like, but having something like San Andreas is just unrealistic. If you included, let's say Angeles National Forest, you'd have to include all those mountains ranges. I don't think the 360 could support that.

HipHopHeadSeb
  • HipHopHeadSeb

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

:'(

WF the Hobgoblin
  • WF the Hobgoblin

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:20 PM Edited by WF the Hobgoblin, 30 April 2011 - 10:31 PM.

I had been planning on trying this for a while but I've never made a map before and figure LA is pretty difficult to do.

I thought maybe they could either make it an island and leave out the rest of San Andreas like how Chinatown Wars excluded Alderney, or block of the mainland like in gta III and make some invisible barrier that gently turns around aircraft.

How much of LA and countryside to include is also the issue.

I was thinking a shape like this:
user posted image

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:41 PM Edited by grope_4_that_date, 03 November 2011 - 01:45 PM.

QUOTE (WF the Hobgoblin @ Apr 30 2011, 22:20)
I had been planning on trying this for a while but I've never made a map before and figure LA is pretty difficult to do.

I thought maybe they could either make it an island and leave out the rest of San Andreas like how Chinatown Wars excluded Alderney, or block of the mainland like in gta III and make some invisible barrier that gently turns around aircraft.

What areas would be included? The area that you drew is fairly large. In respect to GTA4, that's practically double the size of Liberty City.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

I Love Pony Farming

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:02 AM

I like the map you did grope. I think that Long beach is closer to LAX, but then again I dont live there. Anyways nice job.

Toup
  • Toup

Group: Cheesedicks

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:24 AM

Grope that's a very good map you got there, we should make it even better.

WF the Hobgoblin
  • WF the Hobgoblin

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (grope_4_that_date @ May 1 2011, 00:41)
QUOTE (WF the Hobgoblin @ Apr 30 2011, 22:20)

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/b4f4ug.jpg[IMG]

Hm ok,

What areas would be included? The area that you drew is fairly large. In respect to GTA4, that's practically double the size of Liberty City.

Areas? I'm not sure yet, it's just an idea. I was thinking at least including all the districts that appeared in the original Los Santos, but larger and more geographically accurate. Maybe throw some countryside in too. I don't really know anything about LA other than what I've seen on maps and tv.

A problem with doing LA is that you can't split it into islands so it's just one big area. As for the size well, I believe LA is a fair bit larger than NYC and also I think it should be a lot bigger than IV's map.

I like your map grope, but LA isn't that rectangular is it?

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (Toup @ May 1 2011, 00:24)
Grope that's a very good map you got there, we should make it even better.

Hey Toup,

That's what I'm saying. I want everyone's help. That map is just a rough draft. I put that map together in 10 minutes, copying an pasting things from the San Andreas map. (I want to create it from scratch.)

But before we create a map, we should first outline how we want to draw it. What cities need to be included. Burbank? Torrance? Hawthorne? Cypress? Downey? Bell Gardens? Montebello? Garden Grove? Topanga State Park? 2 Golf Courses? 1 Golf Course?

We should include everything before we get started.

Toup
  • Toup

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:35 AM

Could we also add icons such as bars and discos ect? Safehouses?

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

I Love Pony Farming

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:37 AM

It should probably go from Malibu to Long Beach, maybe a bit farther south, on the west coast. And from somewhere out in the valley down to somewhere in the desert on the east side. Though I'm sure you'd want to include some mountains in there as well.

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:44 AM

@Toup, sure definitely. That will be the last step though, once the basic layout is complete. We can add more details.

@ Spagetti Cat: If it goes from Malibu to Long Beach, it won't be as "geographically accurate" (as Mr. Hobgoblin put it). Malibu can be added, but everything else on the map shrinks and becomes more of a rough representation, rather than a re-creation of Los Angeles. Show me what it would look like. smile.gif

Toup
  • Toup

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:49 AM

Maybe if we take off Glendale or Pesadena we can fit Malibu? We up east LA on the map a little and make some countryside between east LA and malibu?

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE (Toup @ May 1 2011, 00:49)
Maybe if we take off Glendale or Pesadena we can fit Malibu? We up east LA on the map a little and make some countryside between east LA and malibu?

Hmm... maybe. Malibu is just so far away from Los Angeles though. Don't get me wrong, it looks like an awesomeplace but its about an hour away from L.A.

Honestly, if Malibu was added to the map, the area would stick out like the handle of a frying pan.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:04 AM

Yo grope you and drscot are the best map drawers I have ever seen.

Drift-Kingz
  • Drift-Kingz

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:33 AM

Excuse me if I'm being a bit suspicious, but why would you just go on a gaming forum, and be like "HEY! LET'S MAKE A MAP FOR LOS ANGELES!".

?

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:52 AM

In the last hour I have managed to make this map:

user posted image

It is not the best but I think it's presentable compared to some maps found here in the forums.
What do you guys think?

liquid_ocelot22
  • liquid_ocelot22

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:03 AM

its for gta5 btw and i like it blitz looks nice

LEXTY
  • LEXTY

"♫ Barefoot girls, Dancing in the moonlight"

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE (Drift-Kingz @ May 1 2011, 02:33)
Excuse me if I'm being a bit suspicious, but why would you just go on a gaming forum, and be like "HEY! LET'S MAKE A MAP FOR LOS ANGELES!".

?

I agree. But, may just something to do with the forums... happy.gif ... sarcasm.gif

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE (blitz. @ May 1 2011, 02:52)

user posted image

It is not the best but I think it's presentable compared to some maps found here in the forums.
What do you guys think?

Hm, it needs to be bigger. Plus, for all I know, that could be Australia. Make the map bigger and label what each region should be. Other than that, good work.

and thanks for the submission! icon14.gif

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE (grope_4_that_date @ Apr 30 2011, 22:39)

user posted image

What do you guys think?

Hm, it needs to be bigger. Plus, for all I know, that could be Australia. Make the map bigger and label what each region should be. Other than that, good work.

Woah! It's a submission? Haha I thought we just had to show off out 'talent' or something. But sure I'm ok with it. I'll make it bigger right now and label the areas. Thanks for the feedback anyways.

I guess I should read the posts more carefully...

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE (blitz. @ May 1 2011, 03:48)
QUOTE (grope_4_that_date @ Apr 30 2011, 22:39)

user posted image

What do you guys think?

Woah! It's a submission? Haha I thought we just had to show off out 'talent' or something. But sure I'm ok with it. I'll make it bigger right now and label the areas. Thanks for the feedback anyways.

I guess I should read the posts more carefully...

Yeah, we can create the map together. I'll try to make a foundation sometime this week. I'm fairly busy though. We need to decide what cities should be included though.

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:59 AM

Is this a bit better? The quality is kind of sh*ttier since I had to make the image size bigger but I believe it looks good enough. Ideas?

user posted image

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE (blitz. @ May 1 2011, 03:59)
Is this a bit better? The quality is kind of sh*ttier since I had to make the image size bigger but I believe it looks good enough. Ideas?

user posted image

That looks like a decent map, but I don't recognize it as Los Angeles... and why is there a lighthouse?!

Also, I guess it's possible to include some countryside on the hills near North LA.

LEXTY
  • LEXTY

"♫ Barefoot girls, Dancing in the moonlight"

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:38 AM

user posted image

Purple Line- Railway
Grey- Countryside
Red- Possible roads or homes
Yellow-Beach
Brown- Industrial

The weird lines that are dividing L.A and Gilroy is a mountain range. The grey lines that go
from L.A to Gilroy are underground tunnel, (old sewerage pipes). It's not a very good map but
maybe we could fix it up? happy.gif

WF the Hobgoblin
  • WF the Hobgoblin

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

Obviously a new LS isn't goint to be completely geographically accurate, but it should be more so than the previous rendition. It's still going to have to be fairly simplified.

What areas of LA are the best known? eg, I'm not really familiar with any of the parts north of Encino. I think it should go at least as far south as Torrance.

I think your right though grope, my initial outline is maybe a bit too big...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users