» «
Photo

[WIP] Grand Theft Auto III Beta Version

133 replies to this topic
RacingFreak
  • RacingFreak

GTA: SOL Team | Grand Theft Auto III Beta

• Members

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:56 PM Edited by RacingFreak, 14 November 2012 - 07:31 PM.

user posted image

About
This mod simply plans to bring back different features seen in different early stages of gta3 mixed together to make it more fun enjoyable to play.

Checklist
What's been done so far:
- the police car has been restored to it's pre-9/11 look;
- all cars have their beta names;
- Esparanto now has Hydraulics;
- The first mission have been modified to make it as in the original concept (8ball doesnt get in car and follows you);
- Beta timecyc.dat, particles.cfg, handling.cfg, object.dat and water.dat (thanks to PrometheusX!!);
- more coming soon.

Team
~ RacingFreak:
- Mod Leader, Modelling, Graphics;
~ PrometheusX:
- Various stuff;
~ Red_Phoenix_74:
- Help and provider of IIIBetaHacks_src.zip;
~ fireguy109:
- Scripting;
~ NewportByChrysler :
- Help Assistant;

Release
TBA, first public release date unknown, check thread for updates.

txdeditor
  • txdeditor

• Members

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

Well, you seem to have some progress, so it's okay.
I just thought I'd tell you many of mods like this one has been made before and most of them died/were forgotten.
I'm not saying yours is gonna die, I'm wishing you luck wink.gif

XEPOMAHT007
  • XEPOMAHT007

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:35 PM

Yes, the process is 0% done leads to the idea that this mod will not cause much interest and will be forgotten. All the more reason to repeat what has already been done in GTAIII BETA MOD? Good luck

RacingFreak
  • RacingFreak

• Members

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

Well, you guys probably didn`t got my idea... if you mean this remake, yes I know it perfectly, just my idea is a little bit different, although with similar content. At first I`ll add content seen in the E3 version of GTA3, which have to be the at same time the beta with cars we will see in final release (no Capital Autos vehicles seen in it, these from the renders were in alpha version from end of 2000/beginning of 2001 as in development and promotional images).

Also most noticeable that some of the beta versions from 2001 were using PS2 type of vehicles (e.g. more bright cars if you compare to PC version). My idea will cover the PC type of vehicles (as you can see on my finished version of the Police model).

Details will be posted later as I currently have some more progress done already.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:09 PM Edited by frank.s, 29 April 2011 - 05:11 PM.

Looks good, any map stuff modeled yet? icon14.gif

Is the Staunton Airport and Portland Prison gonna be modeled too?

RacingFreak
  • RacingFreak

• Members

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:01 AM

Okay, some more progress on the Beta Police:
user posted image
user posted image
Well, there are some very weird bugs and I need your help. What I did is replacing 'Lcpd4bit64abacka' non-alpha image with the 'Lcpd4bit64aback' alpha, as in order to receive white 'LCPD' lettering instead of black. Is there something wrong?

I need to comlete it at first, before continue with the buildings and other vehicles.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:07 AM Edited by frank.s, 30 April 2011 - 11:13 AM.

Post a link to the .txd, i'll see if i can make the LCPD letters white.
Are you gonna make a brighter timecyc? It wouldn't be the same without the cartoony brightness that the alpha/beta has. smile.gif

RacingFreak
  • RacingFreak

• Members

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (frank.s @ Apr 30 2011, 11:07)
Post a link to the .txd, i'll see if i can make the LCPD letters white.
Are you gonna make a brighter timecyc? It wouldn't be the same without the cartoony brightness that the alpha/beta has. smile.gif

Here is the problematic .txd - link

Thanks in advance! And yeah, timecyc + few other changes will be made to make like the 2001 beta smile.gif

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:23 PM Edited by frank.s, 30 April 2011 - 12:40 PM.

There is no problem with the .txd (the LCPD text shows correctly white ingame)
Did you not mod the txd.img then? tounge.gif
Thats the only way i can think of that it wont show on yours.

RacingFreak
  • RacingFreak

• Members

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:48 PM Edited by RacingFreak, 30 April 2011 - 12:55 PM.

QUOTE (frank.s @ Apr 30 2011, 12:23)
There is no problem with the .txd (the LCPD text shows correctly white ingame)
Did you not mod the txd.img then? tounge.gif
Thats the only way i can think of that it wont show on yours.

Thanks! I forgot to replace it in txd.img, works now! I`ll move forward in the beta Trenton Police building right now wink.gif

magg
  • magg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:32 PM Edited by magg, 01 May 2011 - 12:35 PM.

Dude, IMO you should make a mod that would show us the version when GTA: 3 was being made for Dreamcast (GTA: 2 textures, very low poly models, probably one city etc.) instead of almost finished one for PS2/PC, because its just... nothing interesting, same game, but with a couple of changes.

http://www.gouranga....gta3-frames.htm

RacingFreak
  • RacingFreak

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE (magg @ May 1 2011, 12:32)
Dude, IMO you should make a mod that would show us the version when GTA: 3 was being made for Dreamcast (GTA: 2 textures, very low poly models, probably one city etc.) instead of almost finished one for PS2/PC, because its just... nothing interesting, same game, but with a couple of changes.

Well, that`s what I`m thinking to do! Just not so much progress is done yet, as it`s currently in development. And you mean this GTA3 version, no? Because I have started properly recreating the stuff from it already.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:33 PM Edited by frank.s, 02 May 2011 - 12:52 PM.

Will the road layout will be like the alpha/beta too?

It would be cool if the boroughs were moved apart with Staunton Island Airport and Portland Penitentiary (both top of each borough, respectively) and all the other larger map changes added.
There are a lot more roads added to all three islands and the land was re-positioned at different places.
Is that gonna be in this mod too?

(animated to compare the differences, yellow is the release version and the beta version is obviously the white pic)
user posted image

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

Game Dev, Graphics Artist

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

Oh how I'd love to see that version of the map!

magg
  • magg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:51 PM Edited by magg, 02 May 2011 - 08:54 PM.

QUOTE (RacingFreak @ May 2 2011, 05:09)
QUOTE (magg @ May 1 2011, 12:32)

Well, that`s what I`m thinking to do! Just not so much progress is done yet, as it`s currently in development. And you mean this GTA3 version, no? Because I have started properly recreating the stuff from it already.

You have to show me a screen, dude, 'cuz that link sends me to the main page. And I mean the cartoonish one, not that one similar to the released version.

Mr. Myriad
  • Mr. Myriad

Thug

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

RacingFreak if you do this mod as alpha version(that cartoonish style) do it from zero as you do it now BUT if you do it as Beta version you should do it on the base of another GTA 3 Beta Version mod then you'll have much less work than you have now. In that mod almost all cars are done and almost whole Portland and I didn't include many another interesting stuffs from that beta mod.

magg
  • magg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:14 PM Edited by magg, 02 May 2011 - 11:34 PM.

QUOTE (Mr. Myriad @ May 2 2011, 21:45)
RacingFreak if you do this mod as alpha version(that cartoonish style) do it from zero as you do it now BUT if you do it as Beta version you should do it on the base of another GTA 3 Beta Version mod then you'll have much less work than you have now. In that mod almost all cars are done and almost whole Portland and I didn't include many another interesting stuffs from that beta mod.

I always though that every mod like this one should be made from scratch, especially (!) with a lot of re-search, so it can be truly perfect, but... maybe that's just me. Nevermind, let's see what he will say. For now I think that he's BETTER, and I mean BETTER from that French guy that are you talking about, even if its just a one car - its totally enough for me to say this (but yeah, it would be nice to see the rest). RacingFreak, if you're going to make the alpha version you should think about converting buildings from GTA: 2, 'cuz it seems that they used the same ones, but with a couple of details added.

RacingFreak
  • RacingFreak

• Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:28 AM Edited by RacingFreak, 03 May 2011 - 06:32 AM.

Hey guys, very nice feedback, I appreciate! At first I did a lot of research before start it, my first attempt was way back in 2006, but I have frozen it because I wasn`t too skilled back then. Now I`ll start firstly with vehicles (now finished the Police and added beta colors for the Police, Enforcer and Taxi).

I started now on Trenton Police, as I`ll use the alpha building style (garage on left, door on right) as using bricks texture for front part. Not so much progress done yet, but I`ll be happy enough If I got it finished + manage to get the garage working (!) as police car storage.

About the map, it`s very big job to do ahead, thanks frank.s for the awesome animation! I`ll try to finish Portland at first, since the alpha and beta stuff was there. In fact the beta Police station and Chinatown. And no, I`ll not use materials from other people, I`ll be doing this version at myself.

Also, did anyone noticed yet? The E3 playable version had effects from the train (like lens flares) on the cars. I`ll try to do it, I really like that effect smile.gif

PS
Here are some of the stuff on which I`ll stuck:
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

I`ll see what I can do for GTA2 buildings, too smile.gif

RacingFreak
  • RacingFreak

• Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

Sorry for double post, here I`m sharing more details on the beta Trenton Police Station:
user posted image

What I`m going to do is using that brick texture for front, the current one for sides and back and different texture for the roof. Refer to my picture (with materials from R*`s official GTA3 site), as this is the style I`m going to do. I`m still think about the front door, while the garage is the easiest to do.

Ideas are always welcome !

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

That doesn't look like the beta police station, compare it to the original pic you done in the OP.

RacingFreak
  • RacingFreak

• Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:24 PM Edited by RacingFreak, 03 May 2011 - 06:49 PM.

QUOTE (frank.s @ May 3 2011, 17:54)
That doesn't look like the beta police station, compare it to the original pic you done in the OP.

Yeah, it does need a lot of work to be done since the beta one is two floor one while the final is four floor.

Updates:
user posted image
I`m nearly finished editing the first floor (needs the old style door in the center), and will start on the second floor and the roof.

Updates:
user posted image
Preview of how it will look in that way. I think it should be it! Then I have to re-map some textures, move and modify the door at center, add billboard at front (as seen on my presentation picture, I also have found the proper textures) and I`ll be complete with it.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:57 PM Edited by frank.s, 03 May 2011 - 07:07 PM.

Good work, but umm, why is it orange?
Isn't the building is supposed to be grey concrete with slightly blue colored barred windows and a brown door with a round top?

You'd be better-off modeling a new one from scratch, the gtaiii police station doesnt look like the beta gtaiii one.

RacingFreak
  • RacingFreak

• Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

Well, it`s placeholder texture which I`ll replace later with another one (pretty much like the beta one). And yeah, I really think I may better make it from scratch, but using final police station as base only. I`ll see what I can do smile.gif

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

Nice work. BTW is this for GTA III or GTA LC (GTA III mod for Vice City)?

Mr. Myriad
  • Mr. Myriad

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:51 PM

RacingFreak so good texture of bricks really as alpha.

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

I tried to make the Trenton Police station from first post pic, i dunno if it's good or not, well...
user posted image
I'm not saying that i want to join the team, or help you out. Just showing tounge.gif

Mr. Myriad
  • Mr. Myriad

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:48 AM

Perfectnow this PS(police station) exactly the same as in alpha.

RacingFreak
  • RacingFreak

• Members

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:08 AM

@nkjellman: It`s for Grand Theft Auto III.

@ManDog: Man, that`s awesome! I really like it smile.gif

Later I`ll show up what I did managed to do, and first test will be done (and possible release after few days) wink.gif

pearcyp
  • pearcyp

ગાબોર તૉથ

• Members

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:21 AM

nice work! keep it up! cookie.gif cookie.gif

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

Dawg's (lol) police station looks much more like beta, but why is it orange???

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users