» «
Photo

Snooker

15 replies to this topic
Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:14 PM Edited by Canoxa, 26 April 2011 - 10:37 PM.

Is anyone following the World Championship in Sheffield?

I've been catching about half the matches. Also watched most of Higgins v O'Sullivan, so far. Man, I just love to watch Higgins play.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Winner of Euro 2008 Prediction League

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

Not really watched much, seen some of the O'Sullivan-Murphy game the other day and then some of today's frames.

A good couple of small comebacks from Ronny as well.

AnotherDave
  • AnotherDave

Scream and Run

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:55 PM

I've been watching as much as possible. I'm a pretty big Ronnie O'Sullivan fan for several reasons - possibly not a popular position at the moment - but I'd like to seem him do well. The match with Higgins is shaping up very well, it'd be good to see it go the distance.

Judd Trump is local to me and I like Mark Selby, so I'll be backing them as well. Trump is looking sh*t hot so far, having beaten Neil Robertson and Martin Gould and currently holding an 11-5 lead over Graeme Dott. Selby's got it tougher with his match against Ding Junhui - that one could go either way.

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (something_else @ Apr 26 2011, 22:55)
I'm a pretty big Ronnie O'Sullivan fan for several reasons - possibly not a popular position at the moment - but I'd like to seem him do well.

How come? Higgins is a bit of an anti-hero, especially due to those allegations of bribery. I get dirty looks from someone who knows their snooker when I say that I love Higgins. In fact, they bring out the Rocket when countering Higgins, nearly on all instances. This here is an advanced final.

AnotherDave
  • AnotherDave

Scream and Run

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:27 PM

There's some discontent amongst the players and fans as far as Ronnie goes as they feel he's not taking the game as seriously as he should - partly because he's suggested he'll retire a couple of times and then changed his mind as well as initially dropping out of events and then accepting a place at more or less the last minute, and the 147 incident at the World Open.

Also, some - the most vocal of whom has been Shaun Murphy - think he could be a better ambassador for the sport and do more to help promote the game as a whole as well as the new tournaments that have been introduced to the tour.

He's still an incredibly popular player with the fans, though, so I probably overstated it before, but there seems to be growing dissent towards him. Hopefully it'll blow over and not come to anything, I've got a lot of time for Ronnie.

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:03 PM

Selby can have all the bathroom breaks he wants, now that he's out.

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

I really do hope Judd can make the final considering he's such a nice bloke and such a naturally talented player. I've only met him twice, both times he was playing a school friend in the local Snooker club, and both times he played with such an elegant fluidity that he absolutely walked over my friend, and he's not exactly a leisurely player (aka, he's a top-ranked amateur looking to turn pro).

Also, I think it's time to get a lot more new(-ish), and young players through the ranks. While Williams and Higgins are showing that there's still life in the old ranks, in a couple of years time they'll (some of, anyway) all be looking to retire (as much as I love Hendry, I do believe he should retire) and we'll then need a young rank ready to take over the reigns.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

Well Judd has made the final and currently has a 9-7 lead over Higgins and now has a great chance in taking the last frame of the session after Higgins missed a fairly straight forward black.

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:17 AM

So John Higgins beat Judd Trump In the final last night. It was a really good final.

RED_
  • RED_

Homie

• Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:52 AM

Gutted for Trump, Higgins is a twat but he is good so I can't begrudge him the win. Trump is clearly a future winner though, he didn't seem to sad at the loss either. Probably because he's young and at his first doing he has reached the WSC final. Pretty impressive. Trump made some horrid mistakes though yesterday, in the end he pretty much handed it to him. That pink on that last frame(?) was horrendous. He had a real problem getting the snooker as well, i think he had 4 opportunities to get it and he came up short on every one. As i've said though, he can only get better.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:46 PM

Judd was pretty unlucky in those last few frames, he made some attacking shots to open the reds but he always seemed to get bad cue ball positions afterwards as a colour rolled in the way.

Also in those last few frames his ability to get those counter snookers against Higgins cost him the championship, Higgins was pretty much getting his spot on and causing errors. Higgins showed some balls potting yellow, green, brown and blue to get the snooker on the pink though in the latter stages which came off.

Higgins pushing his chin back and forth with his cue was driving me mad towards the end of the match, dunno why tounge.gif .

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

As a major Higgins fan, I'm very pleased. The man deserved it, especially since it was dedicated to his father. As a snooker fan, it was a great final.

RED_
  • RED_

Homie

• Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (Canoxa @ May 3 2011, 19:19)
As a major Higgins fan, I'm very pleased. The man deserved it, especially since it was dedicated to his father. As a snooker fan, it was a great final.

Out of interest, how can you still be a Higgins fan since he cheated? Or at least tried to cheat? Not denying his ability but he should be banned.

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (RED_ @ May 3 2011, 22:50)
QUOTE (Canoxa @ May 3 2011, 19:19)

Out of interest, how can you still be a Higgins fan since he cheated? Or at least tried to cheat? Not denying his ability but he should be banned.

Well cut the guy some slack he has been through a lot this year away from the table.

And with the bribe situation, It was a disgrace for the game of Snooker that one of the best players ever took a bribe. It really did disappoint me too but this was like two years ago. Yes It will stick with the game for ever but didn't John say he was threatened? I'm sure he was because a guy like that wouldn't take a bribe for money.

I'm actually really pleased he won, It was nice for him. The last couple of years have been really hard for the guy.

AnotherDave
  • AnotherDave

Scream and Run

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

Higgins in probably the best all round-player on the circuit, he deserved the win. It was pretty obvious the pressure got to Judd towards the end, but he can't be blamed for that. Outstanding final overall, oustanding tournament as well, largely thanks to Judd Trump, who deserved huge credit for his outstanding performances.

By the way, John Higgins was banned for not declaring that he'd be approached to fix matches and bringing the game into disrepute, not for taking a bribe.

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:24 AM

Snooker is a nice and relaxing sport. I like to watch it. I like John Higgins. He is a sypmhatic guy somehow.
Itīs hard to get into this sport but once youīve figured out what itīs all about it can be really exciting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users