Photo

[IV,EFLC|REL] GIMS IV

2,741 replies to this topic
JJagwire
  • JJagwire

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (Limiter @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 19:46)
This happens with all my map models that are newly created from scratch.

Apply vertex paint. If you don't, the default exported vertex paint for your model is white. Making the model look very light in game. smile.gif

Should everything be 50/50 by default then? I had a feeling my stuff was too bright.

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• Feroci
  • Netherlands

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:45 PM Edited by Blaster_nl, 28 July 2013 - 10:48 PM.

IV doesn't have a very well lighting system. To make up for this, they used vertex color to create Ambient Occlusion, sortof.

This is a good tutorial to bake ambient occlusion on models:
http://wiki.polycoun...sionVertexColor

Look at '3ds Max - Radiosity'

EDIT: If you want the quick route, paint your models grey (128\128\128), or just full black with 50% opacity. Vertex Paint can be found in the modifier list.

quechus13
  • quechus13

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

Or.. You could prelight the models like we used to do in GTA SA for Maps.

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• Feroci
  • Netherlands

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (quechus13 @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 00:55)
Or.. You could prelight the models like we used to do in GTA SA for Maps.

Yeah, but in SA the prelight was done with a daylight system in max. Because SA doesn't have shadows, you baked vertex color according to the sun's position.

IV does have shadows, so everywhere where the sun can't reach, is actually shadowed.

It's just that IV has a lack of self shadowing and there is no real ambient occlusion, then this tutorial can help. A skylight points light into any direction, from above.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (Blaster_nl @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 22:45)
IV doesn't have a very well lighting system. To make up for this, they used vertex color to create Ambient Occlusion, sortof.

EDIT: If you want the quick route, paint your models grey (128\128\128), or just full black with 50% opacity. Vertex Paint can be found in the modifier list.

Why not actual Ambient Occlusion?
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• Feroci
  • Netherlands

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

user posted image

Weird. My game doesn't have that, and it's on the higest settings. cry.gif

user posted image

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:13 AM

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=527454

quechus13
  • quechus13

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 00:13)
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=527454

Not everybody knows that method.
And not everybody can run it.

indra.
  • indra.

3d Modeller

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:34 AM

i solved the problem...but i think 128\128\128 is not the right defaut color, it make the model look too dark...so i copied vertex color from the other ped..its like dark pink..but its look good ingame..

^
nice actual Ambient Occlusion btw..seem my pc cant run it..

DrDean
  • DrDean

My custom member title is here.

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:39 AM

Have you added helpers for hats yet? (pedprops)

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Feroci
  • Philippines

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE (indra p @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 02:34)
i solved the problem...but i think 128\128\128 is not the right defaut color, it make the model look too dark...so i copied vertex color from the other ped..its like dark pink..but its look good ingame..

^
nice actual Ambient Occlusion btw..seem my pc cant run it..

The Niko head model has those pink blotches AFAIK.

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• Feroci
  • Netherlands

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:37 AM

His version of nvidia inspector is different from the latest version. It doesn't have the compatibility tab...
Anyone knows how to set it, I tried some things but nothing works. And yes, I have a Nvidia GPU.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (Blaster_nl @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 03:37)
His version of nvidia inspector is different from the latest version. It doesn't have the compatibility tab...
Anyone knows how to set it, I tried some things but nothing works. And yes, I have a Nvidia GPU.

Search for 1.9.7.1. If you can't find it, I'll post a link.

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

• Feroci
  • Philippines

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE (Blaster_nl @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 03:37)

It works on v1.9.6.8. Had to turn it off as it is way too system intensive on my end.

As for vertex colour baking, that's the problem with RAGE (and even with most engines, by extension. There are solutions like realtime radiosity and stuff like that, but most devs still have to depend on tricks like SSAO or baked lighting). Ambient lighting is poorly defined in IV, more so with the lack of SAAO. Also, I think this is the reason why building models in TCs like SA:IV look a little flat in shadowed areas.

wapeddell
  • wapeddell

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:45 AM Edited by wapeddell, 30 July 2013 - 07:08 AM.

I don't know why at first I thought it was my rigs but after 2 years experience no matter if I rig the head or not and just make it emotionless this happens on certain cut scenes not all of them some.

user posted image

And this is a image of it working

user posted image

Videos Showcasing the artifacts issue.

Glitch

http://www.twitch.tv...ddell/c/2659815

No Glitch
http://www.twitch.tv...ddell/c/2659836

Limiter
  • Limiter

GTA Modder

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:41 AM Edited by Limiter, 30 July 2013 - 09:36 AM.

Hey Blaster, Nice tutorial.

I always liked the idea of baking rather than manual painting.

About the part of the tutorial where it says to place skylight anywhere, I am allowed to place it wherever I want I suppose and that there is no rule for that in IV right? I figure this is only to simulate the type of lighting that I want.

...But I am creating vertex colors for exterior buildings. I want to use the baking method in your posted tutorial. But since exterior is subjected to dynamically moving lights (the sun) i do not know where to place the skylight needed for the simulation mentioned in the tutorial.

GTARandom
  • GTARandom

Unfortunate piece of meat

• Feroci
  • Croatia

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (Limiter @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 10:41)

Hey Blaster, Nice tutorial.

I always liked the idea of baking rather than manual painting.

About the part of the tutorial where it says to place skylight anywhere, I am allowed to place it wherever I want I suppose and that there is no rule for that in IV right? I figure this is only to simulate the type of lighting that I want.

...But I am creating vertex colors for exterior buildings. I want to use the baking method in your posted tutorial. But since exterior is subjected to dynamically moving lights (the sun) i do not know where to place the skylight needed for the simulation mentioned in the tutorial.

You don't place skylight on IV. You just use it to bake the lighting information from it on the model(to assign vertex paint and illum)

Limiter
  • Limiter

GTA Modder

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

That is not what I am talking about.

I was talking about since the sun moves in IV. Where do I place my skylight or light source in max to bake out ambient occlussion that fits all timing in game.

For eg. if i place light source on top of model to bake out ambient occlussiom, it simulates noon time. (right on top) But the bient occlusion might not look right during morning and evening because the light source in game does not match what i simulated in 3ds max with skylight right on top of model.

GTARandom
  • GTARandom

Unfortunate piece of meat

• Feroci
  • Croatia

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (Limiter @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 21:33)
That is not what I am talking about.

I was talking about since the sun moves in IV. Where do I place my skylight or light source in max to bake out ambient occlussion that fits all timing in game.

For eg. if i place light source on top of model to bake out ambient occlussiom, it simulates noon time. (right on top) But the bient occlusion might not look right during morning and evening because the light source in game does not match what i simulated in 3ds max with skylight right on top of model.

Placing it anywhere works, i think.

Just don't place it too far away from your object

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• Feroci
  • Netherlands

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:43 PM

Limiter.

Place the skylight above your model. In almsot all cases that's jsut x0 y0, and z depends on on how tall your mdoel is, just place it 10 coordinates above the highest vertex or so. It doesn't even matter much, as long as it's above your mode.

You are mixing 2 things up.

This method is just to bake AO on your model, it's independent from the sun. A skylight isn't even meant to replicate the sun, that's where a daylight system is for in max (that was used for SA).

IV shadow system isn't THAT crappy, there are shadows casted from the sun, so don't worry about the times of the day.

GTAGAME ☑
  • GTAGAME ☑

(countergame)

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

I need your help.. How can i fix this?
I wanted to convert a hoody from a pedestrain to niko. So i exported the ped and imported it to 3DS Max. After i deleted all the bones and useless stuff, I imported nikos t-shirt to 3DS Max and attached
the hoody to the t-shirt. Deleted all the T-Shirt Elemets so i only have the hoody with the bones. Extracted it and replaced it in the playerped.rpf. Now the problem: If i try to wear these clothes. My Game crashes.
I don't know why. It worked fine for GTA SA.

quechus13
  • quechus13

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (countergame @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 18:02)
I wanted to convert a hoody from a pedestrain to niko. So i exported the ped and imported it to 3DS Max. After i deleted all the bones and useless stuff, I imported nikos t-shirt to 3DS Max and attached
the hoody to the t-shirt. Deleted all the T-Shirt Elemets so i only have the hoody with the bones. Extracted it and replaced it in the playerped.rpf. Now the problem: If i try to wear these clothes. My Game crashes.

You don't use element mode.
You use Vertex Mode

You also have to edit the texture to have the same name as the tshirt you are replacing.

GTAGAME ☑
  • GTAGAME ☑

(countergame)

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (quechus13 @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 20:08)
QUOTE (countergame @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 18:02)

You don't use element mode.
You use Vertex Mode

You also have to edit the texture to have the same name as the tshirt you are replacing.

Okay thanks smile.gif So you think the main problem is just the texture? Should i just drag the right named "DDS" File into 3DS Max. Or do i have to use the Material Editor?

3Doomer
  • 3Doomer

GIMS developer

• Members

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (quechus13 @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 22:08)

And the same resolution, I guess...
May be, it'll be right to test your model with original WTD at first.

GTAGAME ☑
  • GTAGAME ☑

(countergame)

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:37 PM Edited by countergame, 01 August 2013 - 11:56 PM.

Oh my god! Thank you so much for your support! Now it's really easy for me to convert things on the RAGE Engine biggrin.gif I nearly thought i'm going to stuck on the GTA SA modding scene for ever biggrin.gif

If you like to see the results, here^^:

user posted image

indra.
  • indra.

3d Modeller

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE (countergame @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 20:37)
Oh my god! Thank you so much for your support! Now it's really easy for me to convert things on the RAGE Engine biggrin.gif I nearly thought i'm going to stuck on the GTA SA modding scene for ever biggrin.gif

user posted image

actually you can copy-paste the skin envelope setting from the original ped by using save and load buttun to get a good rigging result... i did that to this mod...

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

• Feroci
  • Philippines

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE (indra p @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 04:08)
QUOTE (countergame @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 20:37)

user posted image

actually you can copy-paste the skin envelope setting from the original ped by using save and load buttun to get a good rigging result... i did that to this mod...

Can you elaborate on copying vertex weights for rigging?

indra.
  • indra.

3d Modeller

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (lpgunit @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 05:47)
Can you elaborate on copying vertex weights for rigging?

in the skin modifier there are save and load button...just save the vertex weights of the original ped clothes..then load it after "attach and delete"...so technically we only replace the bones..

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

Quick question, and I'm sure its been mentioned before, I just don't want to go through a bunch of pages to find the answer.

Do you have any plans to add .OFT import and export?

I need it for my Graphics Fix mod for the TBOGT cars. With out it, I'm stuck with the crappy Zmodeler models that have the normal's missing from the wheels. It would be really appreciated.

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

• Feroci
  • Philippines

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 22:28)
Quick question, and I'm sure its been mentioned before, I just don't want to go through a bunch of pages to find the answer.

Do you have any plans to add .OFT import and export?

I need it for my Graphics Fix mod for the TBOGT cars. With out it, I'm stuck with the crappy Zmodeler models that have the normal's missing from the wheels. It would be really appreciated.

Yeah, but we'll have to wait until 3Doomer manages to have some free time for him to continue with the project.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users