Quantcast

» «
Photo

WII U

219 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you bought a Wii U? (136 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you bought a Wii U?

1. Yes (16 votes [12.31%])

Percentage of vote: 12.31%

2. No (114 votes [87.69%])

Percentage of vote: 87.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote
KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

Slight bump here, but didn't think it warranted it's own specific topic just yet. What's everyones' thoughts on the , currently codenamed, NX that's apparently hitting next year? From what I've seen, and this is all just rumours so far, Nintendo are apparently trying to combine both portable and console gaming into one, which seems rather plausible and not far from reality. It would basically just be like the Wii U, but obviously with a higher range of distance for the portable device. The next rumour that comes in to play is the graphical power for the NX, and if Nintendo really are aiming to match the power of the current 2 consoles on the market. Think majority of us have seen the Mario and Zelda videos with the Unreal Engine...why can't Nintendo match this if some kid at home can? Sorry but if Nintendo were to show me a gameplay video of an upcoming Zelda that matched that Unreal Engine video, I'd be throwing my money at them, and safe to say Nintendo would be back in business. Why Nintendo seem to think that having low quality graphics means it's more family-friendly is beyond me...they need to stop living in the past and get with the times.  

gfen
  • gfen

GTAF Minister of Propaganda

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:43 PM

Why Nintendo seem to think that having low quality graphics means it's more family-friendly is beyond me...they need to stop living in the past and get with the times.  

I don't think that's what they think at all; I suspect teh thought is more along the lines of "why engage in a needless horsepower race when we can focus on interesting designs to bring new technology and gameplay into effect."

I, personally, love the Wii U Gamepad and I find things like the PS4 "touchpad" laughable in comparision.

The same way I felt about the Wii motion control versus things like "tiltaxxis."

Nintendo's always been driving towards new features in lieu of more horsepower. Sometimes they worked (lightguns), sometimes they failed (Robbie the Robot), and sometimes they simply weren't ready for primetiem (VirtualBoy).

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:57 PM

But horsepower, as you say, doesn't always equate to ultra-realistic graphical games and whatnot, not in every case anyway, that's just what a lot of developers seem to believe these days, hence the market is flooded with games that are replacing enjoyment with trying to be as realistic as possible. Extra 'horsepower' can also equate to having the capability of doing more within a game, such as animation, drawing distance etc.

Gimmicks are always cool at first, but it's a fast paced world now, and new technology dies out even quicker these days. Nintendo may always choose to opt for a gimmick over just pushing for more power, but why can't they just bring out a different device for that, and have a device that's purely for gaming? Look at Rare for example, the company behind some of the biggest N64 games of all times...they were bought out and purely concentrated on Kinect titles for the 360, MS's gimmick...it killed the company pretty much.

gfen
  • gfen

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:05 PM

But horsepower, as you say, doesn't always equate to ultra-realistic graphical games and whatnot, not in every case anyway, that's just what a lot of developers seem to believe these days, hence the market is flooded with games that are replacing enjoyment with trying to be as realistic as possible. Extra 'horsepower' can also equate to having the capability of doing more within a game, such as animation, drawing distance etc.

Nintendo has never been actively pursued "ultra-realistic gameplay." Furthermore, they have always produced devices "purely for gaming," I'd suggest they've pursued that far more effectively than Sony and Microsoft have who've both tried very hard to create "home entertainment centers" in the PS3 and XBone.

Furthermore, if you didn't have lazy programmers who use horsepower in lieu of efficiency, Nintendo games would be much closer to the others' in several aspects. Things like MarioKart, Splatoon, and Pikmin 3 look stunning on my Wii U, every bit as sumptous as a "ultra-realistic" game does on my PS4 just with a different focus.

I, personally, see no problem with that. Furthermore, I'd prefer that my children play their games in that eye-popping enviroment instead of having to be gritted-down into hardened little SOBs via "ultra-realistic" shades of gore and filth.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

You Sir, Do Not Praise The Sun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:23 PM

I mean does Mario really half to be more than what it is now? I have a Wii U with the new Super Mario Maker and it is great. My four year old loves it, I even love it. I bought him Mario Kart 8 as well. I think we will game on it for a long time. The new NX looks interesting, but they would have to show me alot for me to purchase one down the road. I think the biggest benefit it would have is for the multi platform games pretty much. I mean, Mario is Mario, we half to make him look better now with a beefier console? It just isn't selling me at the moment. But two years ago I said I would never buy a Wii U and I ended up doing that. My old Super NES still works at my son's grandmas house, on a little 13'' tube tv, my son was always playing Mario All Stars and Super Mario World. So when Super Mario Maker hit, it deffinatly made me look at it. Saw it. WOW is pretty much all I have to say. Its really a remarkable game. But I'm a 31 year old that loved Mario as a five year old, it was a deffinate buy for me, I mean my son. LOL.

gfen
  • gfen

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:56 PM

ObMario Maker: My (barely) 8 year old kids are goobers who appear to either lack, or resist, any sort of creativity when it comes to creating out of whole cloth... Is Mario Maker going to be wasted on them, or will they be able to find enjoyment in it because I'm sick of Lego games and Skylanders?

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

What doth LIFE Life life?

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:58 AM

I got mine for Christmas so I didn't really buy it. The only games I have on it are Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Bayonetta 2. Might pick up Wind Waker HD for it as well at some point.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:57 AM

Low quality graphics? That's not really a fair statement about Nintendo. Look at the graphical fidelity on their first party games, and tell em they suck. Look at Mario Kart; it's a gorgeous game. Sure, it's not as "realistic" as what the other consoles are capable of producing, but if you're all about graphical fidelity then you might as well go for the PC. Nintendo is about gameplay and fun, and they excel at that.

And also, Mario on Unreal looked like crap, for a Mario game. It looked like every other Unreal game out there. That's not what Nintendo is about. Show me any other game that looks like a Mario game. And I'll show you several Unreal games that look like each other.

Nintendo is in the best position to tackle the mobile market than the other two. They're already announcing putting some of their IPs on the mobile, and that will draw in new crowds to their systems. Parents are far more likely to let their kids download a Mario or Pokemon app than anything else.

As for the NX, it is an unknown. If there's a time for a major shift in the home console, that time is now. And Nintendo is the one to go try something different, leaving the other two to still need to support their consoles for half a decade more. I think Nintendo will come up with something we don't expect, that will make us look at home consoles in a whole new light. And then the other two will play catch up again, as with the Wii and motion controllers.

gfen
  • gfen

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:15 PM

The videos I've seen for Xenoblade Chronicles X look astounding for such a "low power" console. S'funny, how it works, when someone tries to use the resources available rather than raw power to cover for shoddy programming, how good something can look.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

Low quality graphics? That's not really a fair statement about Nintendo. Look at the graphical fidelity on their first party games, and tell em they suck. Look at Mario Kart; it's a gorgeous game. Sure, it's not as "realistic" as what the other consoles are capable of producing, but if you're all about graphical fidelity then you might as well go for the PC. Nintendo is about gameplay and fun, and they excel at that.
And also, Mario on Unreal looked like crap, for a Mario game. It looked like every other Unreal game out there. That's not what Nintendo is about. Show me any other game that looks like a Mario game. And I'll show you several Unreal games that look like each other.

Nintendo is in the best position to tackle the mobile market than the other two. They're already announcing putting some of their IPs on the mobile, and that will draw in new crowds to their systems. Parents are far more likely to let their kids download a Mario or Pokemon app than anything else.

As for the NX, it is an unknown. If there's a time for a major shift in the home console, that time is now. And Nintendo is the one to go try something different, leaving the other two to still need to support their consoles for half a decade more. I think Nintendo will come up with something we don't expect, that will make us look at home consoles in a whole new light. And then the other two will play catch up again, as with the Wii and motion controllers.

Low Quality graphics was obviously me typing without really thinking of what it was I was trying to get at. Out of the three current-gen consoles, the Wii-U is the only one I've actually owned, and it's fair to say the games I had looked gorgeously impressive. The smoothness that Mario Kart 8 ran at, all the while with the tons of on-screen action going on, whether from the racers or the local surrounding. Same goes for the HD Wind Waker too.

The reality is though, for whatever reason, Nintendo's consoles sales aren't doing as great as they want them to be, and they're obviously going to try and address this with the NX, but what more can be done for a gaming console that isn't already in use these days, and that's a genuine question. I'm actually hoping that the rumours are true about the portability function, where it's a combination of a home console and a portable console, much like the Wi U but with obviously no range limit. Only problem I can think of with this is the portable device has to be capable of handling the game, thus matching the specs of the console itself, which could be a big ask if the rumour is also true of them trying to match the One and PS4.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up with Nintendo and love how they always want to be different from the crowd, but it's a matter of trying to reach out to a bigger niche than they currently do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users