Quantcast

» «
Photo

WII U

196 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you bought a Wii U? (124 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you bought a Wii U?

1. Yes (10 votes [8.47%])

Percentage of vote: 8.47%

2. No (108 votes [91.53%])

Percentage of vote: 91.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote
JobAnonymous
  • JobAnonymous

IGN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

Wii U = Pee U

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

I would not own this console right now at this point in my life. I do think it is great for kids.

one55
  • one55

Dirty Playstation Peasant!

• Members

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

No, I don't have a Wii U.

The only games I'd be interested in are Mario 3D world & Bro's U. I can't stand Mario Kart games. Not interested in the Zelda Wind Waker. 

They need a new GOOD Zelda game and a good Pokemon game for me to even consider a Wii U but even then it's not likely I'd pick it up because the console has been out for nearly 2 years and there aren't many good games (so far) due to be released for it. 

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

For me, it seems Nintendo have actually got ahead of the competition with the tablet style controller, but are seriously lacking behind due to the actual software available for the console. It was the same exact story for the Wii, with the motion control being the main focus, of which was copied by Sony and MS, but not so much so as a main focus point. The Wii flopped though because it became too much of a gimmick, too many sh*te games being released that only saw you having to wave your arms in a different motion, rather than focusing on bringing out some top quality games instead. Don't get me wrong, some games were quality, but the Wii had already flopped. I'm wanting to actually buy a Wii, but only because it's like £30 now...

How did it flop though? It's sold over 100 million units, almost 20 million more than Sony and Microsoft's respective 7th gen consoles.

In terms of a gaming console, it flopped. In terms of, "let's buy this for the kids as a toy", then yeah, it sold well. The Wii appealed to a much different audience than what the previous Nintendo consoles have, and this is probably the same for the Wii U, unless they start releasing some actual decent games, rather than gimmicks that try to make the most of the tablet controller.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

For me, it seems Nintendo have actually got ahead of the competition with the tablet style controller, but are seriously lacking behind due to the actual software available for the console. It was the same exact story for the Wii, with the motion control being the main focus, of which was copied by Sony and MS, but not so much so as a main focus point. The Wii flopped though because it became too much of a gimmick, too many sh*te games being released that only saw you having to wave your arms in a different motion, rather than focusing on bringing out some top quality games instead. Don't get me wrong, some games were quality, but the Wii had already flopped. I'm wanting to actually buy a Wii, but only because it's like £30 now...

How did it flop though? It's sold over 100 million units, almost 20 million more than Sony and Microsoft's respective 7th gen consoles.

In terms of a gaming console, it flopped. In terms of, "let's buy this for the kids as a toy", then yeah, it sold well. The Wii appealed to a much different audience than what the previous Nintendo consoles have, and this is probably the same for the Wii U, unless they start releasing some actual decent games, rather than gimmicks that try to make the most of the tablet controller.

Actually, no. By any possible measure, the Wii was not a flop. It expanded the available target market for all consoles and it brought a largely neglected group of gamers to the attention of the industry. Sure, lots of sh*t titles were released to "make use" of the motion controls. The same can be said for the Kinect and the Move. Heck, Nintendo forced Sony and Microsoft's hands in that regards. If they were a flop, neither Sony nor Microsoft would care for motion controls. And it appealed to a different audience, yes, while still appealing to the same audience as the previous Nintendo consoles. It isn't an "either/or" situation, Nintendo had its cake and ate it too, see the over 100 million sold. 

This time however, they dropped the ball on the marketing, the naming, the brand distinction. They tried to ride the Wii wave too much, resulting in a huge swath of those "casuals" who bought the Wii to not even bother with the Wii U due to brand confusion, thinking it was just an updated Wii and thus have no need for it. 

But of course, Nintendo is not dumb. They are probably testing the waters on the second screen on a home console, the tablet controller and such to see how people react. They can afford to sell nothing this generation because of their previous profits, and the money-printing machine that is the 3DS now. My guess is that they are getting ready to force the hand of the other two again, releasing a new home console before this generation is over.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

Yo, I seen some things called smash bros controllers, are they just gamecube controllers or specially made controllers for the wii u. also can I use a gamecube controller in the wii u?

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Trick

• Members

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

what is a wii u?

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

what is a wii u?

it's an addon for the wii.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

A question popped up in my head; what about Bayonetta 2? I wonder; will it boost the sales of the Wii U? I, for one think it will, but I've yet to see that.

TaviColen123
  • TaviColen123

Trollhater

• BUSTED!
  • Romania

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:47 AM

A question popped up in my head; what about Bayonetta 2? I wonder; will it boost the sales of the Wii U? I, for one think it will, but I've yet to see that.

Nah,the Bayonetta series sure has it's fans like all the Platinum titles but it's not going to be any system seller especially for Nintendo which has a totally different target audience, the Mario Karts and the Smashes and the Zeldas ,those are the system sellers but unfortunately Nintendo still has this problem like the last generation where they are behind in terms of hardware and the support from the 3rd parties is going to shrink again,which it doesn't even have that much anyway. I think Nintendo thought that by releasing their new console before MS and Sony they would be ahead of them and they rushed the console on the market instead of spending more time on making it more powerful and to please the 3rd party developers. Next time if they fall behind again i think that's it for Nintendo as an hardware company, and i'm not saying this as a hater,i really like them but they are not  doing themselves any favor .

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Trick

• Members

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

Yo is this new Zelda coming for PS4 & X1?
Probably no lol since Nintendo has the rights.
I think now its finally time to get a Wii U then.
Zelda is one of those games I put on the same lvl like Shenmue. If a new Shenmue comes out exclusively on only
one console I have no choice than buying the console just for 1 game.
Any real gamer needs to play those games aint that so? lol

Can't miss a Zelda game so I have no choice. XD

one55
  • one55

Dirty Playstation Peasant!

• Members

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:19 AM Edited by one55, 21 June 2014 - 07:20 AM.

the only game that is really tempting me to get a wii u is Zelda U. but that's still a long time away and we don't know everything about it yet.

oh an nintendo. a pokemon game would go a long way. a proper pokemon game. no spin off sh*t. i'd love a pokemon MMO, nice graphics (even if they cartoony), huge map and more realistic pokemon battles. 

damn it, i'd even be happy with another pokemon stadium game. just give us something.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

Actually, no. By any possible measure, the Wii was not a flop. It expanded the available target market for all consoles and it brought a largely neglected group of gamers to the attention of the industry. Sure, lots of sh*t titles were released to "make use" of the motion controls. The same can be said for the Kinect and the Move. Heck, Nintendo forced Sony and Microsoft's hands in that regards. If they were a flop, neither Sony nor Microsoft would care for motion controls. And it appealed to a different audience, yes, while still appealing to the same audience as the previous Nintendo consoles. It isn't an "either/or" situation, Nintendo had its cake and ate it too, see the over 100 million sold. 

But that's my point, the Wii was mainly based around the gimmick that they were over-using purely based on it being the first company to bring it to the gaming market, whereas MS and Sony both saw it as just a side product. The Wii should have been a side product, with Nintendo releasing a 'serious' console, matching their previous releases. Whereas Sony and MS have surpassed their previous, Nintendo have yet to match the superior N64, hell, even the SNES and NES...

Just my opinion, mind.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Once an SFPD officer, now a Templar

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:55 AM Edited by SFPD officer, 25 June 2014 - 10:55 AM.

Caught up with Nintendo's E3 presentation. Dayum, they showed some impressive titles and I'm especially in love with Splatoon. I'm quite tired of current multiplayer shooters. Burn out of BF, tired of CoD being the same game over and over again, Halo is pretty much dead right now and Valve rode TF2 into the ground. This seems to offer an innovative twist on the concept. I had a blast just watching the gameplay.

It's just a shame I'm not a Nintendo fan. I didn't grow up with Mario or Zelda and apart from Pokémon, their games are largely an unknown territory to me. Wii U would be a good console to complement PS4 or X1 for me, but not as a primary, and I'm definitely not buying two next-gen consoles. But yeah, now I can definitely see why some people say Nintendo won the E3.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

Well, picked myself a Wii U up the other day, since I couldn't resist a £180 price tag for the console and Mario Kart 8...which then also gave me a free game to download too, which I obviously had to choose Wind Waker HD. Can't really fault them at all for this, buy a game and get a brand new game for free on top of that.

First impressions, great console. Without comparing it to anything else, then the Wii U is actually pretty decent. Compare it to other consoles though, and it's still lagging behind a little, such as the lack of channels that are yet to be introduced, such as Netflix etc, but yeah, apart from that, good console. Obviously I wouldn't JUST have the Wii U though.

The gamepad actually has a brilliant screen on it, so much so I've done 90% of my game time just on the gamepad alone.

Mario Kart 8 is a brillaint game, but what else would you expect from the series?  My only gripe is that they, for some unknown reason, have edited the N64 version of the Rainbow Road track, and pretty much changed the full track...no idea why...if anything that track should have stayed the same simply because it's one of the most iconic tracks in the series.

Wind Waker HD looks gorgeous with the new updated visuals!

Only major gripe with the console is that I'm now having to shell out about £60 for an external HD due to only having the 8gb console, which actually only gives you about 3gb of storage in total.

Next purchase is likely to be one of the Mario titles, or Pikmin 3...only a year to go for Zelda...

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:25 AM

Kilner: The retro tracks of MK8 are all remodeled from the ground up. N64 Rainbow Road is the same layout but looks different due to making most of it antigravity.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

Kilner: The retro tracks of MK8 are all remodeled from the ground up. N64 Rainbow Road is the same layout but looks different due to making most of it antigravity.

I understand that, but since there is already an MK8 Rainbow Road track, I believed this would actually be THE N64 version of Rainbow Road, what with it being the last track in the game, as a little treat. The only part that even resembles the 64 version slightly is the drop at the start. Ah well.

Great game nonetheless.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users