Quantcast

» «
Photo

WII U

196 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you bought a Wii U? (124 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you bought a Wii U?

1. Yes (10 votes [8.47%])

Percentage of vote: 8.47%

2. No (108 votes [91.53%])

Percentage of vote: 91.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote
KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (rodneythesavior @ Saturday, Apr 21 2012, 22:40)
Now, Nintendo is releasing a console that is a little more powerful than the 360, to compete with Nextbox/PS4...
sarcasm.gif

Which, for the time being, is all purely speculative rumours that are flying around the web from various developers and whatnot. Nintendo claim one thing, they claim different...it's up to you on who you want to listen to pre-release, but at the end of the day, we won't know until the final product is ready.

I'm buying one just for the next-gen Zelda, but only if they go back to TP graphics, and not this cartoony sh*t. I enjoyed the cel-shading of WW, but SS looks absolutely terrible.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:06 AM Edited by Butters 2011, 05 June 2012 - 10:21 PM.

Double post, sorry, but it's E3 time so I'm bumping this topic to see what all you lot are thinking of the new console so far.

First of all, there was the news of a new Mario game, which is hardly a surprise TBH. Wasn't exactly the Mario game I was after, since they've done these 2D scrolling Mario games to death now on the Wii, but it could prove to be a great game. It's all about the gameplay at the end of the day.

Here's a video showing all this whole new MiiVerse off. I guess most of you will know what this whole thing is about now, so will save copying and pasting information, but it's basically showing that Nintendo seem to have the whole internet/connection thing sorted out now, rather than that whole stupid friend codes thing. It looks like it could be rather useful in regards to gaming and whatnot, but I need some more information before I comment further.

Oh, and they have finally revealed the new controller that will be out for all those hardcore gamers. Wise move, Nintendo. icon14.gif

Can't wait for the conference...

Nintendo has shown off 23 of the first games to be launched on its upcoming Wii U console.

Several - including a Batman spin-off and a violent zombie-themed title - are designed to appeal to "hardcore gamers" who have traditionally opted for other games machines.

The firm also revealed that the device would be able to support two of its touchscreen game pads at the same time.

However, it did not set a launch date beyond referring to "the holidays".

The period usually refers to the months of November and December in the US. The firm had previously said the machine would be released in Europe, Australia, the US and Japan before Christmas.

Details of the console and controllers' costs were also left undiscussed at the presentation held at the E3 games trade show in Los Angeles.

Serious gamers

The Wii U will be the first of the next generation of games machines to launch. Sony and Microsoft have yet to reveal details of their plans.

News that the tiltes - including Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition; Aliens: Colonial Marines; Assassin's Creed 3 and ZombiU - are under development for Nintendo's machine may help extend its appeal.

Ubisoft's ZombiU is an exclusive title for the Wii U and is targeted at so-called mature gamers
"The criticism of the Wii U had been that it didn't address serious gamers who are looking for complex, graphics-heavy titles," said Bridget Carey, senior editor of the tech site Cnet.

"So they are coming out with all these titles. Many of them are already around on other consoles, so it's not going to wow many people.

"But this is Nintendo saying we're there for every type of gamer, not just family fun - which is their biggest strength."

Mario returns

Announced titles targeting the casual gaming market included New Mario Bros U, Pimkin 3 and Scribblenauts Unlimited.

Nintendo Land will also feature several of the firm's existing characters in mini-games and is intended to help introduce users to the concept of the new Wii U Game Pad controllers.

The game pads feature a touchscreen which Nintendo claimed would help "revolutionise" gaming.

Examples of its uses included allowing a player to check their inventory while the action continued on the main screen, setting off explosives by tapping on the appropriate part of the handset's image, and playing games on the small screen when other family members wanted to use the TV.

Nintendo highlighted how comments from gamers' friends could be shown during gameplay
Nintendo also promoted the integration of its Miiverse social network, allowing a user's friends to pass on tips or boast of their recent scores while play continued.

Winter rush:

Nintendo's shares dropped last year after it first announced the Wii U, and in April it declared an annual net loss of 43.2bn yen ($533m; £329m).

One analyst attending E3 said there were still unanswered questions that could determine if the firm would turn its fortunes around.

"They are really focusing on the game content, but the question is when these games and the console itself will be released," said Brian Blau, research director at the technology consultants Gartner.

"They need to come out some time in advance of Christmas to have an impact. If they come late in the buying cycle I'm slightly worried for their overall success."

Source: BBC News

-----------------------------------

QUOTE (Specs)

Size
•Approximately 1.8 inches high, 10.5 inches deep and 6.8 inches long.

Appearance
•The new console features a compact design that will make it a natural addition to any home entertainment setup.

Weight
•Approximately 3.41 pounds (1.5 kg).

CPU
•IBM PowerⓇ-based multi-core processor.

GPU
•AMD Radeon-based High Definition GPU.

Storage
•Wii U uses an internal flash memory. It also supports SD memory cards and external USB storage.

Media
•Wii U and Wii optical discs.

Networking
•Wii U can access the Internet via wireless (IEEE 802.11b/g/n) connection. The console features four USB 2.0 connectors - two in the front and two in the rear - that support Wii LAN Adapters.

Wii Compatibility
•Nearly all Wii software and accessories can be used with Wii U.

Audio Output
Uses six-channel PCM linear output via HDMI connector, or analog output via the AV Multi Out connector.

Wii U GamePad
•The Wii U GamePad controller removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. It incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 aspect ratio LCD touch screen, as well as traditional button controls and two analog sticks. Inputs include a +Control Pad, L/R sticks, L/R stick buttons, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons, ZL/ZR buttons, Power button, HOME button, -/SELECT button, +/START button, and TV CONTROL button. The GamePad also includes motion control (powered by an accelerometer, gyroscope and geomagnetic sensor), a front-facing camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, rumble features, a sensor bar, an included stylus and support for Near Field Communication (NFC) functionality. It is powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery and weighs approximately 1.1 pounds (500 g).

Other Controllers
•The Wii U console is capable of supporting two Wii U GamePad controllers, up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers or Wii U Pro Controllers, and Wii accessories such as the Nunchuk, Classic Controller and Wii Balance Board.

Video Output
•Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, Wii D-Terminal, Wii Component Video, Wii RGB, Wii S-Video Stereo AV and Wii AV.

Wii U Features
•In addition to introducing new ways to play, Wii U also offers users a variety of non-gaming features to enhance the overall experience.

Miiverse

Miiverse is a brand-new network communication system that lets gamers from around the world share experiences, discuss games and discover new content. Using their personalized Mii character, players enter Miiverse and see games, applications or entertainment content that either they have interacted with recently, expressed interest in learning more about or that their friends are using or discussing. From here they can challenge their friends to play together, ask a question about a difficult level or discover new elements of their favorite games they never knew existed. After a notable achievement or other share-worthy moment, players can pause their game or application and seamlessly post messages to the Miiverse community.

TV Remote: The Wii U GamePad controller may also function as an infrared TV remote, whether users are watching TV or playing a game.

Near Field Communication (NFC)

The Wii U GamePad has the ability to communicate wirelessly with objects that are held above it. This allows for a variety of interesting new possibilities for games and activities.

Nintendo eShop: The digital storefront for Wii U will be available at launch and offer a variety of content for people to download and enjoy. Consumers will also be able to purchase and download select games that are also available at retail stores.

Video Entertainment

Nintendo is working with Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube to bring video experiences to Wii U that will take advantage of the integrated second-screen experience. Additional details will be released at a later time.

Video Chat

Using the built-in camera of the Wii U GamePad, people can communicate with other Wii U owners in real time.

Internet Browser

Wii U comes with a browser that lets people with a wireless Internet connection surf the Internet from the comfort of their couches.

QUOTE (Games)

Confirmed Launch Games

Nintendo and other publishers haven't been real clear with which announced games will be available at launch. This short list below is of the games confirmed for launch.
■Darksiders 2
■ZombiU
■Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge

Announced Retail Games

■Aliens: Colonial Marines (Sega)
■Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft)
■Avengers: Battle for Earth (Ubisoft)
■Batman Arkham City (Warner Bros.)
■Darksiders 2 (THQ)
■Dirt for Wii U
■Dragon Quest X 
■F1 for Wii U (Source Developer)\
■FIFA '13 (EA)
■Ghost Recon Online
■ZombiU
■LEGO City Stories
■Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge
■NBA 2K13
■Rayman Raving Rabbids
■Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs (Source Developer)
■Super Smash Bros. "Next"
■Tekken
■Pikmin 3
■Project Cars (Source Developer)
■Medal of Honor: Warfighter(Electronic Arts)
■Devil's Third(THQ)
■NBA Live 13(Electronc Arts)
■Homefront 2 (THQ)
■Raman Legends (source)
■Injustice: Gods Among Us
■New Super Mario Bros. Wii U
■Nintendo Land

Source: IGN

---------------------------

This video is yet to be confirmed as real or fake...but holy sh*t I want this!!!

Mince
  • Mince

Ménage à trois

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the updates to the topic, Butters. I'm really looking forward to the Wii U now. I even made my very first (and very crude tounge.gif ) userbar for my signature.

I do wish they had announced price or release date info at E3, but hopefully it will be from $200-300 (preferably $250) and be out something in mid November. I don't know if I'll have the cash for one, but hopefully I'll be able to get one this year. I am really liking that zombie game by Ubisoft.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (mincemate003 @ Thursday, Jun 7 2012, 20:05)
Thanks for the updates to the topic, Butters. I'm really looking forward to the Wii U now. I even made my very first (and very crude tounge.gif ) userbar for my signature.

I do wish they had announced price or release date info at E3, but hopefully it will be from $200-300 (preferably $250) and be out something in mid November. I don't know if I'll have the cash for one, but hopefully I'll be able to get one this year. I am really liking that zombie game by Ubisoft.

The one good thing about Nintendo is that they never seem to have their new products at too high a price when they first arrive on the sheleves. As mentioned earlier in the topic, the DVD/Blu-Ray player was chosen to be left out on the Wii U, most likely due to keeping the price of the console down, plus the fact that 99% of people will already own something that plays a DVD anyway, so it's pointless including one within a games console, especially when they are all streaming content these days anyway. In terms of GBP, I'd estimate a price at around £200 on release, since those tablet controllers are looking to be about £40 each as well.

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

Not looking too shabby. Whoever's playing is a complete moron though. Only a zombie rookie leaves a door open behind them.

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:51 AM

Not here to be negative, but I generally think Nintendo are making a huge mistake with WiiU. I really doubt any consumer was asking for a controller with a screen in it, and by every gameplay demonstration so far the controller looks tacked on and pointless. The first party games aren't remotely impressive (I still don't know why they sell on the Wii, anyway) and the third party games consist of games that have been on the market for months (Batman, Mass Effect etc).

The only game I'm slightly interested in is ZombiU, and that's based on the concept alone sad.gif .

At least they're innovating though, right?

Mince
  • Mince

Ménage à trois

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:17 AM

QUOTE (Remix @ Thursday, Jun 7 2012, 21:51)
Not here to be negative, but I generally think Nintendo are making a huge mistake with WiiU. I really doubt any consumer was asking for a controller with a screen in it, and by every gameplay demonstration so far the controller looks tacked on and pointless. The first party games aren't remotely impressive (I still don't know why they sell on the Wii, anyway) and the third party games consist of games that have been on the market for months (Batman, Mass Effect etc).

The only game I'm slightly interested in is ZombiU, and that's based on the concept alone sad.gif .

At least they're innovating though, right?

Well the way I see it is sorta like this: Back when the Wii came out, a lot of people thought that motion control was a tacked on addition and not really necessary. But the Wii ended up being the top selling console for the generation, and after a few years Microsoft and Sony end up bringing out their own motion control peripherals.

Now most "hardcore" gamers (playing entirely on Xbox, PS3 or PC) I have personally talked to about this will say something along these lines:

- Nintendo completely copied the idea of motion control from Microsoft, Sony, or _______________
- Microsoft and Sony had their motion control systems planned way before the Wii was even announced, and the success of the Wii had absolutely no influence on the Kinect or Move being made
- The motion control on the Wii is a pointless gimmick, and the casual nature of the system has ruined the entire gaming industry

Now these are not views from any person I've seen on this forum, but people I've seen on other forums and just around the web in general. I personally believe (and I bet a lot of people who bought the Wii agree) that motion control may have been fishy at first for some people, but that it brought a new and innovate experience to gaming. Take my descriptions loosely here, just so I don't get some angry Nintendo-disliker writing a page full of insults about me).
Regardless of what limitations motion control has, it worked for Nintendo, and apparently Microsoft and Sony thought it worked nice as well.

Everyone can put me on their hate list in the top spot, but I think it's safe to say that the Kinect and Move would not have 100% absolutely no doubt about it completely exactly similarly turned out in the exact same design, style, and overall product strategy had Nintendo not released their motion-controlled system. Motion control is something that worked, and I think Nintendo will be able to make motion+touch screen+whateverelsethatthingermajigerhasinit work for this generation. I'm not saying that the next generation of consoles will be filled with touch-screen tablet controllers at all; in fact I think Microsoft and Sony will both bring their own innovative and fun ideas to the market (assuming they don't just reuse the Kinect and Move). But I think that, if motion controls were able to work, touchscreen+gamepad controls will work as well.

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (mincemate003 @ Friday, Jun 8 2012, 03:17)
Motion control is something that worked, and I think Nintendo will be able to make motion+touch screen+whateverelsethatthingermajigerhasinit work for this generation. I'm not saying that the next generation of consoles will be filled with touch-screen tablet controllers at all; in fact I think Microsoft and Sony will both bring their own innovative and fun ideas to the market (assuming they don't just reuse the Kinect and Move). But I think that, if motion controls were able to work, touchscreen+gamepad controls will work as well.

Yeah, and it's emphasised significantly with the new SmartGlass technology from Microsoft. I genuinely SmartGlass is a good concept - utilising something that consumers already have (smart phones and tablets), and using it as an optional extra for developers to use. The touchscreen for WiiU games is a necessity in order for the games to be good, and the developers will be forced to have it in their game design.

Is there a great example from E3 of how this new controller will enhance gameplay, at all?

I know there were doubts about motion control, but it clearly was successful in the long run (maybe not so much for Sony...). Touchscreen, however, has been around for years now; it's innovative but it's not necessary good for console gamers. I guess it'll be interesting to see when it launches later this year.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:37 AM Edited by John The Grudge, 08 June 2012 - 09:40 AM.

I don't know one single person, not one, that has played their Wii since the first year they got it. It's as good as a door stop now. That's called getting burned. Those people couldn't care less about the WiiU. Not trolling, just the truth.

Let's be honest, what they've shown of it is an embarrassment. The controller is pathetic and adds nothing to games. Microsoft have smart glass, which basically totally steals Nintendo's thunder. As little as I care about Kinnect, it's far more appealing than Nintendo's laughable attempt at motion control.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (Remix @ Friday, Jun 8 2012, 04:01)
The touchscreen for WiiU games is a necessity in order for the games to be good, and the developers will be forced to have it in their game design.

But it's not though, since they have also revealed the official controller that will be available for the console. Now, I may be wrong here since I haven't read too much into this, but the fact that it states this controller was released for the more 'hardcore' gamers seems to suggest that there will be games that are released that have the touschscreen as an option only, like maybe it adds some enhancements to the game if you use the touschreen/tablet, but can still play the game normally without it.

QUOTE (Kotaku)
]That may not be suitable for all titles, though. Especially ones being ported from other consoles. For that, much like the Wii, the Wii U will have a Pro Controller

Yes, the Smart Glass is looking the better of the two at the moment, but from what I've seen, it's been showing off more stuff that hasn't been to do with gaming then it has. From the videos I've seen of it, it's been showing off what it can do within films, or streaming stuff, or on the dashboard etc. Yes, I am completely aware that it will also add stuff to games, such as bringing up maps or showing extra information that is needed, but that's just what the Tablet is doing on the Wii U. Nintendo showed off what their tablet can do within games, as should be done for something that's primarily made for games.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

So I woke up this morning and heard that Mass Effect 3 is coming out for the WiiU. Wait, what?! How the Hell would that work? EA is taking a risk here because without your save-files from your first two games, you're pretty much not getting the full experience.

But it's still nice to see Nintendo getting third party support. The original Wii actually had a strong start but was soon demolished by more sh*tty titles.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

I think the next Nintendo console will be called the WiiUWahee. Or Weeyoowahee.

I think Wii 2 would have been a far more successful name. As it is, people like CNN are reporting that it's a peripheral for the Wii, shrugging it off as too little too late to boost Wii sales. Such is the magnitude of Nintendo's fail.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:05 PM Edited by Butters 2011, 08 June 2012 - 11:37 PM.

QUOTE (John The Grudge @ Friday, Jun 8 2012, 13:59)
I think the next Nintendo console will be called the WiiUWahee.  Or Weeyoowahee.

I think Wii 2 would have been a far more successful name.  As it is, people like CNN are reporting that it's a peripheral for the Wii, shrugging it off as too little too late to boost Wii sales.  Such is the magnitude of Nintendo's fail.

I fail to see how that would make this the 'Wii 2' though, and that's pretty sad for some big news network to be saying that, way before the console is actually released.

I understand it's 'cool' to be on this Nintendo-bashing bandwagon these days, but I'm failing to see why people are already bashing the Wii U. The line-up is already impressive, and shows that 3rd party support is strong yet again, meaning they actually have faith in this console, which lacked for the Wii. The fact that games that are due for release for the 360 and PS3 are coming to the Wii shows that the Wii U is finally back up to standards. Yes, it may be slightly behind by only getting up to date with the 360 and PS3, but as I mentioned previously, why the f*ck does this matter so much? So many people bang on about how companies are trying to hard to get these ultra-realistic looking games, and replacing the fun/gameplay with this...so why should it matter about the graphics at all? Oh yes, because it's f*cking Nintendo. dozingoff.gif

So let's move on to another reason it's getting bashed - the tablet controller. For starters, what is the big problem with this? It has all the buttons in place, just with an added screen in the middle, which, if anything, should be such an advantage when it comes to gaming. Nintendo have seen what the major tech is these days, which are tablets and touch-screen phones, so why is this this such a bad idea? I think it's a smart idea to allow for a gamer to be playing on a TV, then have it switch to the tablet if someone wants to use the TV. I've seen various complaints online about the battery life of the tablet (5-6 hours), but what's the problem with this anyway? As stated, it's going to be mainly used for when someone else is hogging the TV, and then you can simply switch back to the TV when they stop using it, meaning you'd be in vicinity of the console, meaning, uhm, plug it in and charge it? Wireless controllers only last so many hours anyway.

The way I see it is, so what if they are going to be slightly behind in terms of graphics? If Nintendo finally start releasing some decent titles that we've all been wanting, such as Mario, Zelda, Metroid (maybe?) in quality HD form, then where are the complaints? 80-90% of the older generation of gamers have at some point owned a Nintendo console, and played one of these titles, and would therefore love to see this happen as much as I do.

Yes, Nintendo are failing at the moment, but that's for one major reason - the market is changing, and Nintendo fell behind a little. Look at the charts, and you see that gamers are going for the more 'hardcore' titles these days, and with Nintendo getting no 3rd party support on their current consoles, then obviously they are going to be lagging behind. But why should that hinder any future success for them? Seems to me like Nintendo have finally realised where they went wrong, and are finally catering for all audiences. HD graphics, controller/tablet, proper online support (yeah, f*ck the friends codes) etc...

Take a look back at some of the earlier posts in this topic, and you'll see how many people were excited when this console first got mentioned, hoping to finally have the proper successor to the N64; (yes, the Gamecube was brilliant, but didn't get as much sales as it should have).

For me, I honestly couldn't care less - as long as we get a great line-up of titles, I don't get why this console should fail.

Looks brilliant. Tell me you'd see a game like that on the Wii...

--------------------------------------

Zelda has been semi-confirmed for the Wii U:

Just been checking about for news on the Zelda game for the Wii U, and it's been confirmed...as still in the R&D stages...

A Wii U version of The Legend of Zelda is currently in the research and development phase at Nintendo.

“With the last game, Skyward Sword, that was a game where you had motion control to use your weapons and a lot of different items, and I thought that was a lot of fun, but there were some people who weren’t able to do that or didn’t like it as much and stopped playing partway through it,” Shigeru Miyamoto told Entertainment Weekly.

“So we’re in the phase where we’re looking back at what’s worked very well and what has been missing and how can we evolve it further.”

So early is the work, in fact, that Nintendo is still pondering what approach to take toward the game and exactly what audience it should be pitching at.

“Obviously when you look at that, you do get a positive reaction to how simply having the HD visuals in a Zelda game can really make the game look wonderful and give it sort of a high-quality feel,” he added.

“But one thing that’s interesting is we’re seeing how the way that tastes are broadening in video games and you have some people who prefer more casual experiences, and you have some people who prefer sort of those more in-depth experiences.

“Obviously, as a company that’s been making games for a very long time, we tend to be more on the deeper, longer game side of things. But really what we continue to ask ourselves as we have over the years is, ‘What is the most important element of Zelda if we were to try to make a Zelda game that a lot of people can play?’.

“So we have a number of different experiments going on, and [when] we decide that we’ve found the right one of those to really help bring Zelda to a very big audience, then we’ll be happy to announce it.”

Source: Here

One conspicuous absentee from Nintendo's E3 Press Conference was Zelda on Wii U, especially after last year's tantalising tech demo. When asked by Entertainment Weekly about the status of the next Zelda game, Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed that it was still in its research and development stage.

"With the last game, Skyward Sword, that was a game where you had motion control to use your weapons and a lot of different items," explained the creator of the series. "And I thought that was a lot of fun, but there were some people who weren’t able to do that or didn’t like it as much and stopped playing partway through it. So we’re in the phase where we’re looking back at what’s worked very well and what has been missing and how can we evolve it further.

He also mentioned how "simply having the HD visuals in a Zelda game can really make the game look wonderful and give it sort of a high-quality feel".

But perhaps most interestingly is the way in which he once again addressed the potential schism in video games – acknowledged by Nintendo during its E3 presentation – between more traditional, in-depth gaming experiences and the rise of casual games. While he stressed the company's commitment to the former, he also expresses an interest in opening up one of Nintendo's most important franchises to a wider audience.

"One thing that’s interesting is we’re seeing how the way that tastes are broadening in video games, and you have some people who prefer more casual experiences, and you have some people who prefer sort of those more in-depth experiences. Obviously, as a company that’s been making games for a very long time, we tend to be more on the deeper, longer game side of things. But really what we continue to ask ourselves as we have over the years is, 'What is the most important element of Zelda if we were to try to make a Zelda game that a lot of people can play?'

"So we have a number of different experiments going on, and [when] we decide that we’ve found the right one of those to really help bring Zelda to a very big audience, then we’ll be happy to announce it."

Several in the works

Last year's Zelda HD experience was certainly graphically impressive, but as always Nintendo was keen to stress it was just an example of what's possible; we know from past experience Zelda tech demos often vastly differ from the finished product. Nintendo's main man Shigeru Miyamoto told Entertainment Weekly there are various Zelda Wii U experiments on the go, but nothing he's ready to talk about.

Miyamoto discussed the increasing trend towards "more casual experiences", musing on how Zelda might fit in:

But one thing that’s interesting is we’re seeing how the way that tastes are broadening in video games and you have some people who prefer more casual experiences, and you have some people who prefer sort of those more in-depth experiences. Obviously, as a company that’s been making games for a very long time, we tend to be more on the deeper, longer game side of things. But really what we continue to ask ourselves as we have over the years is, “What is the most important element of Zelda if we were to try to make a Zelda game that a lot of people can play?”

Miyamoto and team haven't settled on an answer yet:

So we have a number of different experiments going on, and [when] we decide that we’ve found the right one of those to really help bring Zelda to a very big audience, then we’ll be happy to announce it.

We have a feeling we might be happy too. Until we see more, you'll have to get your Zelda fix in the The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest game in Nintendo Land.

I'm not liking the fact that 'casual' and 'Zelda' got put within the same sentence, so hopefully they realise to go the right way and bring us a hardcore title again.

Mince
  • Mince

Ménage à trois

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

icon14.gif Great post again Butters. I think you nailed the main reason for the often repetitive and borderline-flaming dislike of the Wii U: It's Nintendo. Some people will even shift their views just to make the Wii U look bad.

Example: Graphics. I've heard people say "Graphics aren't the most important part of the game" and "I can play old games, or games like Minecraft", and then they go and say stuff like "Oh, Nintendo sucks because none of their games have modern graphics."

Another example: I've mentioned the price to a lot of people as a reason for looking forward to the Wii U. Some have replied that low price doesn't make it better, and that a person should pay more money for a "proper" gaming experience. Meanwhile some of these people are the same ones who criticize Macs constantly for "being too expensive". Yet when something else is offered for a much lower price, it can't be used in favor of said device. moto_whistle.gif

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (mincemate003 @ Saturday, Jun 9 2012, 00:12)
icon14.gif Great post again Butters. I think you nailed the main reason for the often repetitive and borderline-flaming dislike of the Wii U: It's Nintendo. Some people will even shift their views just to make the Wii U look bad.

The thing is, it's understandable that Ninty have become like this though. For the older generation of gamers who grew up with Nintendo, they lost all the respect upon the release of the Wii, and the terrible list of games that came with this onsole. Nintendo had suddenly turned their backs on all the 'hardcore' gamers, in favour of having a family-friendly image. For the younger generation of gamers, they missed out on playing the N64 and whatnot, and so they just bash Nintendo purely based on the Wii...hence I tend to ignore these people and brush their comments off. It's become a boring bandwagon now, where people think bashing Nintendo is 'cool', yet fail to see that at one point, for many years, Nintendo were the company to beat, and was a massively respected company that produced top-quality products and games.

The main reason I respect Nintendo so much is that they always try something different, rather than just upgrading their console to new graphics and adding extra things that gaming consoles don't need, but are added for the easiness, such as DVD playability and whatnot. The Wii was probably a fantastic idea on paper, but it just failed to impress when it was released. Even I admit that I sold my Wii after a few months.

So finally we see Nintendo have learnt from their mistakes, and are bringing a console to please al audiences, yet because of this reputation that the company now has, people will still hate on them because of their past mistakes.

And yeah, I'm kinda showing off my Nintendo-fanboyism in this topic.
blush.gif

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

TLDR...
Looks like it will come in 3 different SKUs
http://vr-zone.com/a...skus/17127.html

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

Nintendo confirms a few Wii-U Specs:
http://nintendoevery...disc-size-more/
Nintendo president Satoru Iwata confirmed afew new Wii U specs during a Japanese presentation today. Much of the information relates to memory and the game discs.
Iwata shared the following information:
- Supports full 1080p
- “GPGPU” used
- Main memory: 1GB
- System memory: 1GB
- Total memory is 2GB
- Games only use 1GB of main memory
- System memory is for the OS
- Can use the browser while playing
- Game discs are 25GB
- Discs run at 22.5 MB/s
- Uses up to 75 watts of electricity
- Typical power usage is 45 watts
- Reconfirmed: import Wii VC and WiiWare games

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:48 AM

Based on them specs I'll wait. tounge2.gif

MikeChase69
  • MikeChase69

A guy on this website

• Members

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

This console is going to fail so badly.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Winner of Euro 2008 Prediction League

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (MikeChase69 @ Friday, Sep 14 2012, 16:26)

Doubt it, can see this doing really well.

As a tech noob are these specs looking a little crappy? how do they compare to 360 and PS3?

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Moth is Invalid

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Pitcairn-Islands

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (Seddo @ Friday, Sep 14 2012, 08:00)
QUOTE (MikeChase69 @ Friday, Sep 14 2012, 16:26)

Doubt it, can see this doing really well.

As a tech noob are these specs looking a little crappy? how do they compare to 360 and PS3?

It is on par with the 360/PS3. Don't expect a huge jump in power from the Wii U.

This looks like it will be a lackluster launch and console. I don't think Nintendo has done anything truly amazing to wow people to the Wii U. The cumbersome tablet/controller mix and the lack of a decent Online portal will hurt. Plus, the cost of new tablet controllers ( $172 rumored ) is way to much.

The other problem is, Nintendo is now joining the 360/PS3 generation just as they begin their swansongs. If rumors are true, we will be seeing the next Xbox and Playstation announced next year for either 2013 release or 2014 release. This further hurts Nintendo.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

It should be called: "WiiUNEEDMOREMONEY"

Its too expensive for something that well... equals in specs of a 2006 game console...

This serves as yet again another problem for nintendo fanboys. When PS4 and 720 release in the next few years, the wiiu will be behind, AGAIN, like the wii is behind the ps3 and 360 in terms of specs. Oh nintendo nintendo...

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

I hope this doesn't hold back the next generation of games.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

1GB RAM? yea er no thx even my phone has 2GB of RAM

MikeChase69
  • MikeChase69

A guy on this website

• Members

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

I know its only a GTA forum but the fact that this page was started over a year ago and only has 7 pages says a lot about this console.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

Lol only 1GB ram? Wow... my 2004 Dell Optiplex GX280 has 3GB ram. tounge2.gif

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (kudoboi @ Saturday, Sep 15 2012, 22:38)
1GB RAM? yea er no thx even my phone has 2GB of RAM

The funny thing about this comment is that Sony and M$ only have 256mb and 512Mb shared memory respectively, so it's a good step up.
I was hoping the Wii u did have a more powerful GPU and CPU, maybe the large amount of Ram is related to a better net browsing capabilities or something like that.

I will probably buy the Wii u just for Mario Kart and Super Mario bros.
Off-topic: I am surprised it's been almost 18 months since I posted in this topic, time flies uh?

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

What Nintendo needs to do is convince people why they should be playing games like Batman Arkham City, Assassin's Creed 3 or Mass Effect 3 on the WiiU instead of the 360 and PS3. Why should gamers purchase a brand new console to enjoy games that works so perfectly well on their current consoles already?

Third party support is nice but Nintendo's strongest point is their exclusive titles. You know what I would really love? A Pokemon game and not just some sh*tty spin-off, an actual Pokemon RPG game kinda like Skyrim. That would blow my mind.

SimmerE15
  • SimmerE15

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Saturday, Sep 15 2012, 23:34)
Lol only 1GB ram? Wow... my 2004 Dell Optiplex GX280 has 3GB ram.  tounge2.gif

Were you guys saying this when PS3 and Xbox 360 came out?

SimmerE15
  • SimmerE15

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (MikeChase69 @ Saturday, Sep 15 2012, 22:09)
I know its only a GTA forum but the fact that this page was started over a year ago and only has 7 pages says a lot about this console.

I think it's just that Nintendo isn't that popular here. On every other site I go on(GameFaqs/NintendoLife/IGN/etc.) the discussion is a lot more!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users