Photo

.: DARK SOULS :.

158 replies to this topic
Booze
  • Booze

Backlashing with a bullet full of love

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:31 PM Edited by Booze, 06 June 2014 - 05:37 PM.

What do you mean by hours of gameplay? If you die, you lose all your sh*t?

What I mean by that is, the way to save is by lighting and resting at bonfires. 

Most enemies that you kill will remain dead until you rest at a bonfire. So if you rested at a bonfire, went through an entire level and ended up dying after 2 or 3 hours without resting at another bonfire in the next area, then all that progress is lost and you have to do it all over again.

But you didn't lose all progress. You learned. You'll be better at the game than you were 2 or 3 hours ago. Dying is part of the game, as intended by the developers. Each death is (or should be) a lesson. The game isn't insanely hard, it's just unforgiving of mistakes and once you've learned more about the enemies, weapons, environment and gameplay mechanics you'll be able to avoid most if not all (you still have to be careful) deaths.

They make you drop your souls to put pressure on you to get them back. It works well because although it sucks extra hard if you die again, the joy will also be greater if you do get them back. There's no success without the risk of failure ;)

Edit: RyanBurnsRed, I believe there are three wikis filled with content. The devs' intention with this game was to let the players figure it out and help each other, and it worked really well. People always like to help each other out with knowledge, hence the huge community aspect.

• RyanBurnsRed likes this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

But you didn't lose all progress. You learned. You'll be better at the game than you were 2 or 3 hours ago. Dying is part of the game, as intended by the developers. Each death is (or should be) a lesson. The game isn't insanely hard, it's just unforgiving of mistakes and once you've learned more about the enemies, weapons, environment and gameplay mechanics you'll be able to avoid most if not all (you still have to be careful) deaths.

They make you drop your souls to put pressure on you to get them back. It works well because although it sucks extra hard if you die again, the joy will also be greater if you do get them back. There's no success without the risk of failure ;)

Yeah of course. You don't have to start over from the beginning of the game or anything like that xD But the first time I played I had about 75,000 souls and 8 humanity before fighting Smough and Ornstein. It took me hours to get that much souls, and back then humanity wasn't exactly easy to come by. 

Anyway I got slaughtered. I had to start back over from the bonfire at the beginning of the level (luckily for me I unlocked the shortcut). That was close to 5 hours of progress lost though.

Needless to say I died again trying to reclaim my stuff. I was devastated.

Then on about the 15th try I finally killed Ornstein. And then died again after Smough absorbed Ornstein's power.

I don't remember how, but I manged to get 2 humanity and decided to make myself alive so I could summon another player.

It was amazing. While the other guy was fighting Smough, I took on Ornstein. I killed Ornstein and so he got absorbed by Smough. Then we just teamed up on that fat son of  bitch and won without a sweat. It was jolly good cooperation. 

Things like that is what I love about this game. Also the atmosphere as well as the music. 

Oh! and I fully agree with what you said. Sorry for going off on a tangent with my little anecdote.

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

Don't worry about it. You're not going to convert Tycek, this game's clearly not for him. And to be fair, it also took me a long time to see the light. Believe me, I did not enjoy my first playthrough. But I was (and still am) stubborn, so I finished it anyway. Kept the character so I can look back at how much of an atrocity my build was and to feel kind of proud that I finished a playthrough (my first, nonetheless) with it anyway.

I followed someone else's build for my second playthrough and found it a lot more enjoyable. Made my own builds after that and that's when it clicked...

• Tycek likes this

Waldie
  • Waldie

Dickensian Mockney

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:28 PM Edited by Waldie, 06 June 2014 - 06:35 PM.

Just started playing it too. I'm all for a challenge but I don't know, this seems like silly hard.

I made the rather poor decision of picking a fight with the knight at Firelink Shrine and spent a long time paying for it - that guy f*cks you up. He was basically spawn killing me for the best part of an hour.

That just taught you to think really long and hard about which NPC you f*ck with. Trust me, that's not even the worst one. And I don't mean as in he's difficult to kill, I mean the consequences of him being dead. If you've angered an NPC you didn't mean to, don't fight him/her, just run away. If you explore enough, you'll find a merchant that can "absolve your sins", which resets NPC hostility. Don't attack him though ;)

Yeah. I half expected to be killed by him the first time but I had no idea he was going to remember and keep hounding me after every death. Learned the hard way lol.

Been playing it a bit more. I still have no clue what's going on or what I'm supposed to do but it is growing on me a little. The respawning enemies is really bugging me though. After fighting through a bunch of enemies to reach a bonfire only to have them all just reappear, I can't help wonder what's the point? Should I not just take my chances and run for it? Also, the knight I spoke about died after he followed me over the side of a cliff. How come he stayed dead but all others respawn? He human or what? I thought everyone was dead.

And the controls. Need getting used to or just crap? I feel like i deserve an achievement just for succesfully pulling off a parry and riposte. And I'm yet to successfully kick an enemy. I can do a kick and jump attack when there's no enemies around but it never works against an enemy.

I intend to stick with it for now. I like the style and the setting of the game and it kind of reminds me of old ps1 games but I'd be lying if I said I was enjoying the actual gameplay at the moment. And because I have no idea what's going on (and not in a fun, Lynchian kind of way), it's hard to understand why I'm supposed to bother.

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

You get a couple of vague directions, first from this guy:

ds-oscar.jpg

Who tells you about a legend about how to cure the curse of the undead. The curse of the undead is the curse of not being able to die, instead come back every time until you go "hollow" (= lose your mind). The legend says that you have to ring the Bell of Awakening.

Then, the guy you attacked:

xZes3.jpg

tells you that there are actually two bells, with vague hints of where they are ("one up above in the Undead Church" and "the other in the ruins at the base of Blighttown").

So your goal is to ring those two bells. Find your own way. If one area seems too hard, search in another direction. Whichever way you go is forward, because gaining knowledge and skills is progress.

Regarding enemies respawning and not NPC's: I believe that's mainly a gameplay mechanic more than anything else. Enemies respawning when you sit at a bonfire doesn't make much sense, lore-wise, but trust me, the game would get dull (and even more difficult) if they didn't.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

I got it free with Xbox Live, but I'm waiting for them to patch it before I play it. I could just play it now and start again once they patch it, but I just don't want to lol. I wanna go through it once and be surprised.

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

It's already been patched multiple times. This game is from 2011 ;)

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:02 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 06 June 2014 - 10:02 PM.

It's already been patched multiple times. This game is from 2011 ;)

Yes, but Games with Gold removed those patches, and the version they put up is 1.00

I'm waiting for them to fix that. They didn't mean to do it, obviously, but they need to fix it fast. I want to play!

It's not game-breaking, but I just don't want to repeat areas and stuff so soon.

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:25 PM

Ah, I had no idea... Well in that case, everybody get your Eagle shields and Darkwood Grain rings while they're still hot :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users