» «
Photo

.: DARK SOULS :.

158 replies to this topic
JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:57 PM Edited by II J0SePh X II, 12 May 2011 - 12:20 PM.

user posted image

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Official Website

BY
Pub: NAMCO BANDAI
Dev: FromSoftware
Dir: Hidetaka Miyazaki

Genre:
Tactical strategic swordplay action RPG, set in a dark fantasy world.

Trailer:

Overview:
- choose from one of ten classes
- flexibility in developing character
- crafting, magic, swordplay and exploration
- massive open world
- huge boss battles
- help, hinder or battle other players online
- punishingly difficult gameplay
Media:
EDGE interview with Hidetaka Miyazaki
user posted image

Dnero
  • Dnero

¡Swervé!

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (II J0SePh X II @ Apr 14 2011, 16:57)
- punishingly difficult gameplay

Well f*ck me. Demon's Souls was already too damn hard for me.

I'll be skipping this one whatsthat.gif

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

Sounds like the famed difficulty will be kept in Dark Souls

“I have no intention to make the game any easier,” says a defiant Miyazaki. “In fact, I want it to be more difficult. The way I put it to my team is that we are trying to make the most difficult game that it is possible to make, which at the same time can be conquered by those who persevere"

I'm just so glad this is coming to the 360, as Demon's Souls was one I really wanted but was exclusive. I like the fact that someone's going against the grain of over the top handholding these days.

Rockworm
  • Rockworm

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

HAHA I've barely touched Demon's Souls since I bought it. Not that I didn't like what I saw its just hard to keep up with all the games I'm playing. Its on my backlist atm.

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:42 AM

Really looking forward to this one, Demon's Souls was one of those games that was very hard but in a way that every time you died you learnt something new. Whether it was the location of a specific drop/fall, how to tackle an enemy or a better location this meant that so long as you were patient with it and didn't try to rush too much you could generally tackle every challenge on the second or third attempt.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:18 AM Edited by II J0SePh X II, 10 May 2011 - 09:20 PM.

I've added some thumbs to the OP of EDGE magazine scans. I can't put any more imgs in that post so here's the rest of them:

The write-up is the same article that appears online, and which I linked to in the OP.

Also - and I'd take this with a pinch of salt - amazon Germany has this down as releasing on the 14th of October

http://www.amazon.de...02791114&sr=8-2

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:20 PM Edited by II J0SePh X II, 25 May 2011 - 01:51 PM.

Yes! Octoberness.

New trailer:

http://gamingeverything.com/?p=4196

I'll just edit this post on the off chance somebody wanders into the thread by accident.

The collector's edition has been revealed and aparently it's the same price as the regular version. It contains:

- the game
- 'making of' dvd
- soundtrack
- artbook
- strat guide

user posted image

There will be a showcase of the MP component at E3 also

Edit 2:

http://www.preparetodie.com/uk/

Revamped website. I'll tidy this first page up when I bump it
from page 3 again. Until then I'll edit this post
with any news that arrives.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

Just got an e-mail from GAME about my LE pre-order and I thought it deserved a bump. I don't think GAME would change the release date without official info at this stage.

As you may already be aware, the UK release date for Dark Souls Limited Edition has changed to 02-Sep-2011. Changes to release dates are relatively common in the videogames industry and are unfortunately beyond our control.

...so that's a whole month earlier than anticipated.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:59 PM

New month, new post tounge.gif

Final confirmation of release date October 4th North America; 7th Europe

RedBlues
  • RedBlues

you jelly of my yellow scarf blowing in the wind?

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

i've been playing demon souls and its a pretty awesome RPG
and its hard,but i like hard games

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:07 AM Edited by JOSEPH X, 17 August 2011 - 11:11 AM.

Some screens of the character creation menu have emerged.

user posted image
user posted image

I like the look of the Deprived class. Partial nudity ftw.

user posted image
user posted image

You can see a lot more classes in action here:

http://www.examiner....#slide=36507671

Also new trailer:

junkpile
  • junkpile

Liberty City, it's over! Next Stop. Los Santos.

• Members

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:03 PM

^ thanks for all the info, I aprreciate it!

Demon's souls is an outstanding game in my opinion. And the difficulty as it should be. It's hard to get by if you're lightheaded, but with some tactic it is easy.

lkkarus
  • lkkarus

Trick

• D1RTY12
  • Canada

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:23 PM

Is anyone else picking this up?

Superpowermind
  • Superpowermind

Kill the King

• Members

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:00 AM Edited by Superpowermind, 01 October 2011 - 06:22 AM.

QUOTE (lkkarus @ Friday, Sep 30 2011, 20:23)

I'm definately getting it. Here's another trailer

Yet another one

IGN Gave it 9/10. Here's the review

http://www.youtube.c...nel_video_title

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (lkkarus @ Friday, Sep 30 2011, 20:23)

user posted image

In other words - My body is ready.

Any 360 players gonna help me out?

Superpowermind
  • Superpowermind

Kill the King

• Members

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

@JOSEPH X: If I get the 360 version I might smile.gif Though most likely I will get the PS3 version.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

Well - got the game and it's fantastic. Just having a problem finishing enemies off. Their health regenerates, but that last sliver is so hard to knock off - I must be doing something wrong, any ideas.

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

Picked up the game two days ago. Only played a bit over an hour, and I really don't have any desire to keep playing. I was warned that it was difficult... but even the tutorial had me confused as to what I was even doing. Not to mention being completely and utterly frustrated.

Hopefully it gets better!

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

I found no problems with the tutorial being honest with you, it explained the controls properly and even helped you out with defeating the first 'Boss' pretty much all you'd need. I will admit that the moment when you get to Firelink shrine is a bit odd because it doesn't give you any direction at all. (Tip: Go towards the viaduct, not the graveyard with the skeletons, nor the stairs leading down) In a way that is the beauty of the game that you have to explore and discover and learn for yourself but at the same time it is also one of its most alienating attributes.

Key to the game really is patience, move slowly, watch your enemies and learn from your deaths. It's hard but there is a method to the difficulty and once you suss that it really isn't as bad as it seems.

Certainly not a game for everyone though.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:16 PM

sh*t I thought the stamina bar was the enemies health! lol. No wonder I'm having trouble finishing them off - I'm attacking with a tiny bit of stamina

junkpile
  • junkpile

Liberty City, it's over! Next Stop. Los Santos.

• Members

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (Remix @ Saturday, Oct 8 2011, 11:04)
Picked up the game two days ago. Only played a bit over an hour, and I really don't have any desire to keep playing. I was warned that it was difficult... but even the tutorial had me confused as to what I was even doing. Not to mention being completely and utterly frustrated.

Hopefully it gets better!

lol. well, as a demon's souls veteran I can say I appreciate it very much. This game can get addictive.

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE (gta_king @ Saturday, Oct 8 2011, 11:25)
I found no problems with the tutorial being honest with you, it explained the controls properly and even helped you out with defeating the first 'Boss' pretty much all you'd need. I will admit that the moment when you get to Firelink shrine is a bit odd because it doesn't give you any direction at all. (Tip: Go towards the viaduct, not the graveyard with the skeletons, nor the stairs leading down) In a way that is the beauty of the game that you have to explore and discover and learn for yourself but at the same time it is also one of its most alienating attributes.

Yeah, I am a Sorcerer class. I didn't realise in order to use my spell I needed to equipt a weapon in the sword slot (I forget the name of it). It took me a while, but once I realise I couldn't/shouldn't kill him with my pathetic sword, it was a lot easier.

Thanks for the advice! smile.gif

JKidd
  • JKidd

Prankster

• Members

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:16 AM

This game is so addictive can't put it down lol.

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:27 PM

So how is everyone progressing so far in this? I was planning on writing a diary for it as a feature for my website and keeping a tally of how many times I died but after the 20th death I kinda gave up on the idea.

I did however write this up for people: http://www.pwgaming.co.uk/?p=4153 Feel free to contribute, will give full credit of course.

For my progress I've just beaten the Gaping Dragon. So far I've noticed the game forces you to get a lot more up close and personal with the bosses as opposed to Demons Souls where you could beat a few of them quite easily by staying away.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

I'm stilll being owned by the first boss. I think this calls for a trip to the youtube.

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Monday, Oct 10 2011, 19:32)
I'm stilll being owned by the first boss. I think this calls for a trip to the youtube.

Is that the Taurus Demon? If so the best tactic is:

Spoilered For Anyone who doesn't want to know:

Enter the long bridge area and go up top, kill the two skeletons/zombies there. Then go forward and have the Boss appear. Head up the ladder and wait until he is at the foot of it and do an attack on him from above. (Similar to what you did for the very first boss, drop down and attack.) Afterwards lure him away from the ladder and run past him and repeat. The reason for luring him away is that he can hit you while you climb and it HURTS

lkkarus
  • lkkarus

Trick

• D1RTY12
  • Canada

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

I think he is talking about the Asylum Demon.

I was using the Deprived Class and only had to retry a couple of times.

Be sure to circle it and sprint in when after it attacks. Hit it once or twice and then back off again.

Be careful when its low life because it then starts attacking twice in sucession.

Dont be afraid to jump as well.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

It was the asylum demon, killed it shortly after I posted. Just got killed by the Taurus Demon and had to go way back. Think I missed a load of loot on my way up to the Taurus Demon so I'll go back, recover, then go back and loot.

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Monday, Oct 10 2011, 21:35)
It was the asylum demon, killed it shortly after I posted. Just got killed by the Taurus Demon and had to go way back. Think I missed a load of loot on my way up to the Taurus Demon so I'll go back, recover, then go back and loot.

Looting is always good, that area with the first Bonfire up until the Taurus Demon is actually a fantastic little grinding area, can net you about 1,000 Souls a run.

lkkarus
  • lkkarus

Trick

• D1RTY12
  • Canada

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Haha when I met the Taurus Demon it fell off the Castle wall tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users