Quantcast

» «
Photo

Basketball Games

24 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you an EA fan, or a 2k? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you an EA fan, or a 2k?

1. EA (6 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

2. 2k (24 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

3. Other (state which, if you like) (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote
mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:20 AM

Basketball Games

Hi there, figured I'd create this topic to discuss basketball game. The latest I could find was one on NBA 2k10, but I thought this topic could encompass all publishers' games: past, present and perhaps future too.

The most recent game is NBA 2k11. EA were set to release NBA Elite 11, but decided against it as they didn't want to put out a poor game apparently. I think there may be some US college basketball games, but I don't think they're available in the UK, they any good?

Anyone got NBA 2k11? I bought it a month or two back for half price, brand new and I haven't been able to give it up since - it's addictive. It's my first 2k basketball game, I'd only ever played NBA Live 05 before and the two are totally different.

After dabbling in a few classic Jordan set-ups,I tried my hand at the 'My Player' mode. Found it quite difficult, but after a while I got the hang of all the drills in the Draft Combine and managed to improve my stats a fair bit. However, whenever I come to playing it I find it pretty difficult, not helped by the game's rating of your performance seemingly plummeting whenever the slightest mistake is made, yet barely rising when you do something good.

I decided to let that save game be for a while and tackle it later, after I'd played more of the game, so I turned to 'Association Mode' and this is where the majority of my time has been spent. Started with the Knicks and managed a pretty impressive first season. Made several trades, namely bringing in Devin Harris and Greg Oden (who isn't injured all the time on here), along with Chase Budinger to provide some cover from the bench. Finished the season top of the Atlantic division at 48-34, a game ahead of the Celtics and seeded 3rd. Come Play-Offs I edged the Celtics and then the Hawks 4-3, before falling 4-1 to the Heat, who were then beaten by the same aggregate in the Finals by the Mavs.

Approaching the All-Star break now, in my second season, and currently sitting 3rd (30-21) in the Conference behind the Heat (35-16) and the Bobcats (31-21!?). Got J.R. Smith as a free agent over the summer, and have just traded away Anthony Randolph for the New Jersey's 1st round pick this year and next, leaving me short for cover for Stoudemire but hopefully in good stead for two lottery draft picks as the Nets seem to be pretty dire on this.

I sim most my games for aesthetic reasons more than anything. I don't like going through my calendar seeing low-scoring matches from where I've played 5 min quarters - it drags all my stats down too. I do play fairly regularly on full, 48 minute games (on rookie mode, mind you...).

TL;DR
Anyways, just a topic to discuss what basketball games you've played, or still play now and how you're getting on with them. Wouldn't mind some tips for trade ideas or 'My Player' mode hints.

Also, added a poll just for something extra.

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

Storyteller, Plus Hopeless Romantic.

• The Connection

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:41 AM

NBA 2k all the way. I remember buying ESPN Basketball back in the day on Xbox. I think I bought a NBA 2k game before then, but I cannot recall. Even then, I would contend that 2k was the better series (and lets not even mention how great NFL 2k5 was compared to Madden, at least in the field).

I bought 2k11 brand new the day it came out. I haven't bought a sports game day one since probably NFL 2k5 because that was only 19.99 (just to mention, I bought madden 2005 as well, Ray Lewis on the cover if I remember, because it came out in July or August while 2k's came out later... oh High School when I had so much time to play games).

The reason why 2k11 was a day one purchase was mostly because of the Jordan aspect. Basically, for the first time in a sports game, there is actual incentive to play a mode that isn't a season/franchise or create a player. You play as Jordan. Sad thing: it isn't really like Jordan at all. I'm somewhat a purist and wish to play 12 minute quarters. The worse part about the game (besides how easy the computer can steal passes and what not) is that you are supposed to reach Jordan's stat line in 5 minute quarters. This means that you have to score almost every time and be the complete focal point of the offense. In real life, Jordan didn't take the ball on every possession and try to score. I mean, he may have, but he did not have to. One of the greatest aspects of Jordan was that he MADE his teammates better. In the mode, you can't really do that for, if you wish to accomplish everything, you have to be a ball hog.

In addition to the Jordan mode, the level of detail with the players (both past and present) is great. I haven't played a pro basketball game in several years (I bought both NCAA b-ball 2k7 and 2k8 though, sucks they no longer make it). The Association is great, though I dislike how players basically all want max contracts even if they are only an 85 or so. Maybe that is how it is in real life, but come on. Anyways, I went through with the Thunder at first, and with a few trades, they are the best team in the game after a season. sh*t, just having Durant and Westbrook is basically enough.

My current franchise is the Lakers and after a few seasons I've drafted a great point guard while developing Bynum. Kobe is still there kicking ass, though not having to score as much. I also picked up Gordon Hayward just to have another great shooter. I only have him for one year, depends on how much he wants if I bring him back.

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:59 AM

Ronmar said it perfectly, for NBA and the NFL game. 2k sports knows how to hit it on the head with these sports simulations, as they get detailed and fix their mistakes, as EA is lazy and worries about adding another game-mode to take away from the already sh*tty and repeative gameplay they use for the same years. I went almost 30 years into my NBA 2k10 assosication, I couldn't stand 2 years in a dynasty mode for NBA Live.

Only upside NBA Live ever had was music and the dunk contest (All-Star weekend during the season). 2K is owning the basketball simulations, it would be scary for EA if they didn't have their hands on the NFL exclusive license.

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:02 AM

I enjoyed NBA Live 05, as my first basketball game, and Dynasty Mode seemed like some new and exciting idea to me at the time. I played it a ton, trying season upon season to get enough dynasty points to discover and unlock some of the cool (well, sort of...) '90s jerseys to play in (Jazz mountain backdrop one, anyone? http://www.11points....zmountains.jpg), along with constantly trying to do enough drills to make my Bulls team of then rookies Ben Gordon and Luol Deng improve. However, they never seemed to shoot up in ratings regardless of how much training I did. Like Doom! mentions, the Slam Dunk Contest was pretty fun, if not slightly arcade-ish - I seem to remember throwing the ball off of the shotclock, doing a couple of somersaults, then catching it for the dunk, along with what I'm pretty sure was a 720 degree spinning dunk! But, having now played NBA 2k11, this game far surpasses Live 05 and any expectations I had for it.

The music's alright, not to my taste necessarily, but I was quite surprised to hear Two Door Cinema Club on there.

I've only just got around to scouting prospects, having not bothered with it after trading away my 1st round pick in my first season. Having got the NJ Nets 1st round picks for the next two seasons, I've also just traded Kelenna Azubuike and Eddy Curry, along with my 1st round pick for this year (which I figure will be late in the round anyway) for Brandon Bass and Orlando's 1st round pick this year (they're 28-28 at the moment), good or bad trade? I'm not sure, but I really needed that PF cover to give Stoudemire a bit of a break at times - although Bass was a bit pissed when I changed his role from starter to sixth man! Also traded away Toney Douglas, unhappy at warming the bench whilst Devin Harris starts, to the Jazz for Sundiata Gaines and their 1st round pick. Never actually heard of Gaines, so perhaps not the best bit of business, but I quite like the idea of building a bit through the draft too.

Oh, and Ronmar, if you go to the options section on the main screen, you can adjust the quarter length minutes. All the same, despite changing it to 12 minute quarters, it only seems to allow a maximum of 8 minute quarters in the Jordan Challenges for some reason. As you say, it's a nice idea but it does seem like I always play very rushed when trying to do complete them. Apparently completing them all means you unlock playing as Jordan in a 'My Player' mode, as a rookie?

Tha Lunatic 510
  • Tha Lunatic 510

I ain't no gangbang rookie

• Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:17 AM Edited by Tha Lunatic 510, 31 March 2011 - 05:20 AM.

2K for sure.. 2K has always been a good game and this year, they got so good that they basically put Live/Elite out of business.. whispers from EA are saying that there might not even be a game this year either.. IMO, Live hasn't made a good game since '03.. I used to get both games every year and 2K always looked better but Live had the better gameplay.. over time Live started looking worse and worse while 2K improved their physics, gameplay and graphics and eventually took the crown to never give it back

Live made a vast improvement with '10 but then tried this Elite sh*t and dropped off the face of the planet.. meanwhile, 2K signs Michael Jordan, improve the physics even more with momentum dribble and shots.. bold move by Elite but with bold moves comes high risk/high reward and well... they suffered the worse possible outcome

there needs to be a College Basketball game.. but unfortunately, not much sales accumulate from that series so nobody wants to touch it

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

• The Connection

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:11 AM

I knew you could change the quarter length for regular games, but I didn't think you could for the Jordan challenges. I just turned down the difficulty and kicked ass with him (normally I play on All-Star, working my way up to HOF, I think those are the terms they used, haven't actually played it in a few weeks because of classes, work, Dragon Age 2 and recently was inspired to play some NCCAA 2k8).

I believe I may try the my player mode again, maybe with my own character. I just wonder if you can use Jordan's creating a legend mode or whatever to unlock the trophies/achievements for my player. Not that I actually care much for trophies, just would give a little bit more incentive.

Chimpsie
  • Chimpsie

Okthxbye!

• Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:14 AM

I'm just going to keep this short.
2K has some nice stuff to combat with EA.
Ahh,EA,they got sloppy and are trying to milk all of our money every year with crappy games.
They messed it up,all of them.

a cactus
  • a cactus

origin of all that is good and mother to us all

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

NBA Jam baby. two words: Slamma Jamma. and playing as Bill Clinton on the Atlanta Hawks is unparalleled too.

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

Superbowl 48 Champs! GO SEAHAWKS!!

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

2k by a f*cking mile...

Theres a reason why NBA "Elite" 11 was canned... EA was no where near able to compete with them. NBA 2k is a far superior series and if EA didnt have the NFL license, 2k would own them in that too.

PHCharls
  • PHCharls

• Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:09 PM

2k of course

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (TUBBSthezombie @ Mar 31 2011, 08:36)
2k by a f*cking mile...

Theres a reason why NBA "Elite" 11 was canned... EA was no where near able to compete with them. NBA 2k is a far superior series and if EA didnt have the NFL license, 2k would own them in that too.

Absolutely. I used to be a huge fan of EA hoops games, going back to Bulls vs. Lakers for the Sega Genesis. But like Madden(I didn't even bother with this year's version), NBA Live ain't what it used to be. 2k11 isn't perfect(the sliding is annoying), but it's head and shoulders above 2K9 and 2K10.

After the trading deadline, I restarted my Knicks Association. Carmelo's leading the NBA scoring at 34.6 a pop, three points ahead of Kobe. He leads the MVP voting, won Player of the Week twice, and scored 50+ in two games.

Here's my rotation;

Starters: Billups, Fields, Anthony, Amar'e, Turiaf

Bench: Douglas, Brown, Shaw.Williams, Shel.Williams, Jeffries, Walker, Mason

Reserves: Balkman, Carter, Rautins

My current playbook;

Starting PG:
14 Fade(C Quick), 31 Roll(Horns), 41 Roll(Knick Angle), 2 Bully(97 Bulls Iso)

Starting SG:
42 Roll(Knick Angle), 23 Post(Knick Angle), 21 Power(Triangle 8), 12 Over(Knick Horn)

Starting SF:
23 Up(Knick Angle), 13 Ice(Knick Spread), 13 Up(Knick Horn), 21 Trey(Endgame 2)

Starting PF:
41 Post(Kings 4 Out), 31 Post(Jazz Horn), 25 Iso(Knick Base), 14 Drive(Horns)

Starting C:
35 Post 2(Knick Spread), 35 Post(Knick Horn), 15 Clear Post(86 Celtics Tight), 25 Quick Post(Knick Base)

Bench PG:
14 Fade(C Quick), 31 Roll(Knick Spread), 23 Up(Knick Angle), 2 Double(Knick Angle)

Bench SG:
23 Post(Knick Angle), 42 Roll(Knick Angle), 42 Swing Roll(Knick Angle), 12 Over(Knick Horn)

Bench SF:
13 Ice(Knick Spread), 13 Up(Knick Horn), 23 Post(Knick Angle), 23 Up Double(Knick Angle)

Bench PF:
34 Post(Knick Spread)

Bench C:
25 Quick Post(Knick Angle)

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:58 AM

@Funktipus: i dont know a whole lot about basketball but i got lost after the rotation. tounge.gif

But yeah EA Sports has become lazy and i still havent played Madden 11 and if Madden 12 doesnt pull a miracle and impress me with the Franchise modes then i'll skip that one as well.

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:09 AM Edited by mark-2007, 05 April 2011 - 01:11 AM.

Nearing the end of my 2nd season with the Knicks. Don't have a good connection to PSN, so haven't managed to download the new squad updates, or even the old ones - so no Landry Fields and certainly no 'Melo or Billups.

My team:

PG: Harris
SG: J.R. Smith
SF: Danilo Gallinari (top 3-point shooter in the league last I checked)
PF: Stoudemire
C: Greg Oden

Rotation:

PG: Sundiata Gaines, Sammy Burton (rookie combo guard, low 60s rating)
SG: Jermaine Taylor (gonna use the lottery draft pick I got from NJ to hopefully draft a top 5 SG)
SF: Chase Budinger, Wilson Chandler
PF: Brandon Bass
C: Johan Petro, Tyson Chandler

Think that's it. Hope to get a SG in the draft, as I said. Which leaves me with I think two, maybe three more first round draft picks after I did some trades, so I hope to get another back-up PF who's happier with the lower minutes that that'll come with, and I'll see what else comes up.

Just a few games away from the play-offs and it looks like I'll finish with 2nd seed in the play-offs, facing the Bulls, who're having a losing season so shouldn't cause too many problems. Behind the Heat, playing them as I type and behind by 2 points after the 1st quarter's finished, pretty difficult. Miami and OKC seem like the two teams to beat, along with 2010 champs the Mavs. The former two teams are leaders of their conferences.

I have problems attacking in and around the key. Checked my gameplay stats and actually have 0% of shots coming from the post! Not much better at driving to the basket either, most of my shooting is from mid-range and a fair bit from behind the arc, especially with Gallinari and Smith, and even Harris, Budinger and Chandler, able to shoot from there.

Also, I find the automated passing pretty annoying if I'm trying to break quickly. I have to revert to holding down R1 and selecting a player to pass to otherwise I often end up turning the ball over. As well as that, playing man-to-man defence can result in some pretty difficult match-ups if left up to the game. Often it'll give me my PF to mark the oncoming PG, leaving me not much time to switch to my PG and leaving Harris to mark the opposing PF and not standing much of a chance.

Does anyone else sim a lot of the games or do other people play them?

Skins
  • Skins

Steal your face

• The Precinct

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:28 AM

2k all the way. 2k11 is probably the best sports game I've ever played.

I sim a decent amount in my association, usually if I get bored and just want to get to the off-season.

Also, if you want to score in the paint, either back down with a good center or power forward, or have a fast guard cross some people over and then dunk it strong.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Peeling potatoes like a pro

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:33 AM

NBA 2k11 is the best sports game ever made. You can't get any better than that. His airiness Michael freakin' Jordan! EA didn't even bother to make their NBA game after they've seen what 2k did.

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:55 AM Edited by TUBBSthezombie, 05 April 2011 - 05:02 AM.

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Apr 5 2011, 01:33)
NBA 2k11 is the best sports game ever made. You can't get any better than that. His airiness Michael freakin' Jordan! EA didn't even bother to make their NBA game after they've seen what 2k did.

Yeah, imagine if 2k Sports had the NFL license.

One thing they got wrong tho is Oden's Durability.

The Soundtrack was f*cking awesome too and i dont care for hip hop or rap.

EDIT: Who ever voted EA needs to have their dick cut off and rammed down their idiotic throats lol.

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:51 AM

How often do people schedule practice and what ones do they select/what intensity?

I usually slip an intense practice every time there's a two or three day break, then sometimes a light or normal practice the day before games if the fixture schedule isn't too heavy. Does it effect the resulting games performances?

I'm not sure how much impact it has on players' ratings, but Gallinari has shot up from I think a 71 at the game's start to and 80 earlier on in the season. For some reason none of the boosts to my players' ratings have stayed for the play-offs, so he's on 77, but looking at his attributes he has a 'potential' of A. He's also just posted a score of 52 in a game I just finished against the Bulls to open the first play-off round, getting 14 of 19 3-pointers, which I think would make it an NBA record, beats Kobe/Donyell Marshall's joint 12.

Just simmed the rest of the series against Bulls and ended up with Stoudemire spraining a toe and being out for 2 weeks, and J.R. Smith breaking his back (!) and being out for 8 weeks... brilliant.

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Most Valuable Player 2014
    Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:49 AM

NBA live games went downhill pretty much since 2006-2007 games, 2k ones are way better, but i'm not really interested anymore in NBA. Over the last 2-3 years i prefered euroleague and eurocup because there is just more tension. Too bad there ain't a game about them though.

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

@Mark: damn those are some nasty injuries...

I'm not that into the NBA so i dont think of the little things like practices...

I'm more of an NFL fan than anything. now if 2k made an NFL game like their NBA 2k series then i'm sure i'd be spending my hours in that.

But really cool story. I've heard that Gallinari on the game is a three point demon.

Tha Lunatic 510
  • Tha Lunatic 510

I ain't no gangbang rookie

• Members

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:12 PM

yep.. just like I figured.. I knew they wouldn't come up with another game this year.. 2K12 takes the reigns again

After the disastrous, last minute cancellation of NBA Elite 11, Electronic Arts is keeping its basketball sim on the bench for another year, saying that it won’t ship a new entry in the NBA Live/NBA Elite franchise until the fall of 2012.

“As planned, our next NBA simulation title is in development at our Tiburon Studio in Orlando,” said EA Sports president Peter Moore in a statement. “We have top talent on the game, and we’re giving the new development team time to deliver a superior experience. We’re making great strides and looking forward to launching a new game next year.”

EA Sports is still recovering from the cancellation of its aborted NBA Live successor and the relocation of development of its basketball sim series. It may also be reacting to the looming NBA lockout that could impact the league’s 2011 season.

The NBA simulation announcement was buried within a news release that focused on EA Sports’ other planned basketball game, NBA Jam: On Fire Edition. A digital download-only follow-up to last year’s arcade-style basketball game, NBA Jam: On Fire Edition promises new features like the “ground-breaking AI system used in the Fight Night franchise,” a cooperative online campaign, and the return of Tag Mode and Team Fire.

On Fire Edition also promises “online roster updates, more NBA superstars, legendary NBA players, over-the-top animations, JAM challenges, secret teams and unlockable characters than ever before”. The next NBA Jam is planned for release on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network in October.

When contacted for further details about EA’s plans for its NBA simulation franchise, reps told Kotaku, “We have nothing further to add outside of what’s in the press release.”

In an email to Kotaku, a representative of 2K Sports, publisher of the NBA 2K series, confirmed that NBA 2K12 will be released this year.

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

And EA goes down again tounge.gif .

God every time i see 2k beat the living sh*t out of EA i dream of a world with the NFL 2k series still intact and destroying the Madden NFL series.

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:46 AM

Wow, EA out of the market for another year!? 2k could easily sorta monopolise on the basketball game market unless EA go above and beyond expectations with Elite '13. Also, is NBA Jams gonna be like NHL Hits? That was a very fun multiplayer game to play with mates, sank a fair bit of time knocking the opposition around the rink.

My trade mid-last season: Anthony Randolph to the nets for Johan Petro, their 2012 1st round pick and 2013 1st round pick, ended up working better than I could've hoped. New Jersey continued their poor season and I lucked out in the draft with the first overall draft pick. Drafted a good, 83 rated shooting guard, only problem being what to do with my starting SG J.R. Smith? Tried trading him but he won't waive his no trade clause, feck. Don't want an unhappy Smith but also want to give my rookie a starting place and a real chance for Rookie of the Year.

Also, Orlando's pick that I traded for ended up coming 10th so I drafted a decent back-up PG to Devin Harris, and I made a draft day trade for the Warriors' pick in return for the Jazz pick I had gotten earlier and drafted a back-up PF. Then drafted an SF in the 2nd round - quite a busy draft for me!

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

• The Connection

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:00 AM

Release the bitch. Tell him to take that for a no trade clause. Haha.

In honesty? Maybe go with a three guard rotation? Or, you could always play that young SG for 20-25 minutes a game or so. Make him a big time 6-Man.

shahmen
  • shahmen

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

2K got some very good titles, And good games.
EA is just getting worse and worse they really f*ckd up.

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:16 PM

@mark: what Ronmar said. If necissary go to a three guard rotation. But it sounds like you have a solid starting crew with or with out JR Smith. What i'd do is attempt to reconfigure his contract somehow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users